PDA

View Full Version : Jbl l 150 vs Thiel cs2

ampzilla747
04-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi I'm new here.Hope I'm posting in the right place.I would like some advice. I currently am using some old Thiel cs 2's with my Classe ca 150 and Aragon 28k. Onkyo CD player is my source.

Long ago I had a pair of B&W cm 4's that I liked. My then boss lent me a pair of JBL mr 935's. The 15 inch horn loaded 3 way's. Immediately I stopped listening to the B&W's. The Jbl's were able to do more. Go louder,move more air like a live show,had more midrange detail and even imaged and soundstaged better. For the first time,a snare drum sounded real,in the room even! Vocals too were much more intimate. Richard Ashcroft was singing to me,in front of me. I think the mids were more forward but very much liked that effect.Then the boss took the speakers back.

Is this typical Jbl sound? I am tired of these Thiels. I enjoy them,but they are not realistic to me. The mids sound recessed.They cant move any air,they dont feel or sound live.

I am looking at some L 150's.They look interesting to me and of course they are super affordable. I would be willing to give up the Thiels clarity in trade for some more forward mids,something that can really project vocals and snare and provide real full range sound. Am I looking in the right place?

Thanks in advance. Dave.

Mr. Widget
04-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I had to search to see what a JBL MR 935 was. :D It is apparently a DJ/mid level PA system... Based on a knowledge of the components it uses, I'd guess the ultra high frequencies will be lacking as well as the deep bass, but the mids should be clear and forward as you mentioned and I'd guess the highs will also be bright and clear but a bit harsh and edgy. The bass will be punchy and dynamic, but could use the help of a competent sub.

If you like that sound, I wouldn't go for the L150s. You should consider a large vintage Altec system, a Klipsch La Scala, or one of the large JBL horn based vintage systems... I mentioned the others first because they are frequently available for sub $1K... the better JBL horn based systems typically go for more than that. Any of these vintage horn based systems which were designed with home hi-fi reproduction in mind should sound better than the JBL MR 935s did.

Alternatively you could buy some JBL MR 935s...

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/msg/1667482252.html

BTW: Do you use an Ampzilla?

Widget

ampzilla747
04-03-2010, 03:02 PM
The 935's were bright,and the lows non existent. But that 15 could fill the room,just wouldnt delve down deep.The clarity,fullness and especially the mids,made it super enjoyable for me.My little 6.5 inch B&W's had deeper bass but were less involving.

I do not use an Ampzilla.As a kid I just thought that was the coolest name ever,then I began a loose friendship with James Bongiorno. Ive used multiple pieces of Gas,SAE and Sumo gear in the past though.My current amp is a Classe ca 150.

I know they were not for home use,nor were they particularly high end in their own category,but when I owned them I listened to a lot more music than I do now!

ampzilla747
04-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Another speaker I bought at a garage sale for $20 were the Jensen model 15,again a 15" woofer,8" mid and large cab. I almost enjoyed them as much as the mr 935,very different of course but still. If that helps with any further input?

ampzilla747
04-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Sorry to keep adding on here but I keep thinking of more thing's :) Basically if I could take the 935's sound,mellow out the highs and extend the lows I would have the ideal speaker. I like a wide range of music and often listen loud.I want to feel like I'm at a show.Also as I said I have never had another speaker project vocals and drums so vividly into my listening room.I play drums(barely) so I know how a drum kit should sound. I have never heard a 2 way system Ive liked.Maybe I havent heard the right ones?

What scares me about older Jbls is their low power handling.That is how I blew my poor Jensens up.Do you have any particular models of Altecs Jbl's or Klipsch's that you would recomend I listen to? One of the hard parts about auditioning for me is where I live,the middle of Montana! I have been keeping my eye out for some 935's locally but never see them.

rdgrimes
04-03-2010, 04:33 PM
OTOH, if you have a chance to use the L150 or L150A for a while, (most folks prefer the 150A), you might just find yourself being converted to yet another flavor of JBL-ism. And no problems handling massive amounts of power either.

But if you're going to wind up spending lots of money, just skip over everything else and get a pair of L250 or 250ti and be done with it. You'll never look back.

Mr. Widget
04-03-2010, 05:00 PM
But if you're going to wind up spending lots of money, just skip over everything else and get a pair of L250 or 250ti and be done with it. You'll never look back. I agree that the 250Ti is an excellent speaker, but I think those speakers will prove too polite and not dynamic enough for this poster... the Thiels are not junk... to move to a quantum new arena, I think big and dynamic are what he is looking for.

Your recommendation towards the L150 makes sense... if he has an opportunity to audition them it would be a big mistake to miss out on that.

Widget

LuvOldJBL
04-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Did you get to hear the L150s with your amp?

I had asked, "300 watt amplifier suggestions?" on another thread in this forum for the L150s and was advised not to fret over my 200 wpc McIntosh 2205. Indeed. Ha ha ha. No worries. I bought a pair of L150s, had some work done to restore them and love 'em.

ampzilla747
04-05-2010, 12:17 PM
No I have never heard them nor do I have the opportunity to. I guess im looking for a very dynamic,full range sound with good detail and forward sounding mids. I'm tired of all the hi-fi speakers I've tried that have,to me,recessed sounding mid's. Not to mention no dynamic impact,poor bass and often overly bright highs. My Thiels come to mind.

I really like the band 311 for the drummer's style,when I heard them on my old Jbl 935's the snare could scare you at the right volume. Also as I stated,the vocals were eerily realistic and holographic. Can you say freakin goosebumps! When I get goosebumps listening I know I'm in the right speaker territory.

Whether or not the sound I describe is considered high end,or neutral is of no importance to me.All I know is I loved it,and listened much more extensively.Can anyone reccomend A Jbl speaker that is not so ugly as the mr935 which was made for stage or dj use,that will suit my needs?

I want to flinch when the drummer hit's that snare,I want to get goosebumps when I hear the vocals,and I want to feel the impact of the music as much as hear it. you know,like a live rock show!

Thanks again.Dave

jcrobso
04-05-2010, 01:41 PM
No I have never heard them nor do I have the opportunity to. I guess im looking for a very dynamic,full range sound with good detail and forward sounding mids. I'm tired of all the hi-fi speakers I've tried that have,to me,recessed sounding mid's. Not to mention no dynamic impact,poor bass and often overly bright highs. My Thiels come to mind.

I really like the band 311 for the drummer's style,when I heard them on my old Jbl 935's the snare could scare you at the right volume. Also as I stated,the vocals were eerily realistic and holographic. Can you say freakin goosebumps! When I get goosebumps listening I know I'm in the right speaker territory.

Whether or not the sound I describe is considered high end,or neutral is of no importance to me.All I know is I loved it,and listened much more extensively.Can anyone reccomend A Jbl speaker that is not so ugly as the mr935 which was made for stage or dj use,that will suit my needs?

I want to flinch when the drummer hit's that snare,I want to get goosebumps when I hear the vocals,and I want to feel the impact of the music as much as hear it. you know,like a live rock show!

Thanks again.Dave
The JBL SR4732 is excellent 3 way SR speaker, sounds like a studio monitor speaker.
Has 2 12" bass speakers, mids via the horn/driver and good highs via the HF horn.
They show up on eBay from time to time.
Remember this type of speaker was designed to take a lot of abuse and sound good, not look good.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/msg/1671796543.html

On eBay, cabinets only to bad :(
http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-4732-Speaker-Cabinets-PAIR-Unloaded_W0QQitemZ220581079586QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335ba82a22

ampzilla747
04-05-2010, 02:34 PM
So by "sound like a studio monitor" do you mean pressence in the mids/forward mids? Am I on the right track here? Are studio monitors known for that,or Jbl's in general? Im still learning here ...My former boss had some sr's they were dual 15" two ways,I did not like them. I think it was the lack of a midrange driver,and the room/equipment. Wood floors,bare room,crown amps,ashley gear.

Mr. Widget
04-05-2010, 09:44 PM
I want to flinch when the drummer hit's that snare,I want to get goosebumps when I hear the vocals,and I want to feel the impact of the music as much as hear it. you know,like a live rock show!You might find a PA or sound reinforcement speaker tat works for you... but I think you should consider Altec Model 19s or JBL 4331, 4333, 4343... the L300 (consumer version of the 4333) could be good but it costs more than the 43XX speakers because it is more familiar and possibly also because some may prefer it's looks.

The Altec Model 19 will give you the goose bumps and slam with a 100wpc amp... the JBLs need more power and while quite dynamic, are not quite as "live" sounding as the Altec. The Altecs will cost between $750 and $1800 depending on good fortune and condition. If that is too much and you can handle a DIY project, the parts are available and the crossover schematics are also available by searching on our forum and general google searches.

To get the most from these Altecs a sub and a super tweeter are nice additions, but many people are quite happy with them as they are.

Widget

Theebadone
04-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Hi I'm new here.Hope I'm posting in the right place.I would like some advice. I currently am using some old Thiel cs 2's with my Classe ca 150 and Aragon 28k. Onkyo CD player is my source.

Long ago I had a pair of B&W cm 4's that I liked. My then boss lent me a pair of JBL mr 935's. The 15 inch horn loaded 3 way's. Immediately I stopped listening to the B&W's. The Jbl's were able to do more. Go louder,move more air like a live show,had more midrange detail and even imaged and soundstaged better. For the first time,a snare drum sounded real,in the room even! Vocals too were much more intimate. Richard Ashcroft was singing to me,in front of me. I think the mids were more forward but very much liked that effect.Then the boss took the speakers back.

Is this typical Jbl sound? I am tired of these Thiels. I enjoy them,but they are not realistic to me. The mids sound recessed.They cant move any air,they dont feel or sound live.

I am looking at some L 150's.They look interesting to me and of course they are super affordable. I would be willing to give up the Thiels clarity in trade for some more forward mids,something that can really project vocals and snare and provide real full range sound. Am I looking in the right place?

Thanks in advance. Dave.
Sounds like you would probably love a pair of Altec, A-7s, they are a midrange lovers dream. I own a pair and i think listening to them, is the next best thing to being there. The imaging and soundstage is phenomenol. :bouncy:

Marvin
04-25-2010, 06:29 AM
I have to agree with Theebadone. I also have a pair of A7's. You have to remember though, the A7's were theater speakers and therefore lack the bass needed for HiFi home use. This is not a problem though. By reducing the port size you can bring in the bass just fine. By using an adjustable baffle you can determine the proper size for your room and listening preference. I also have a pair of Altec 846B Valencias. They use pretty much the same components, 416's, 806's, and 811 horn. They sound beautiful. Great bass. The Altec Model 19 is considered by some to be the best sounding version of the VOTT family. The components are mostly the same. The enclosure is the main difference.

If you have concerns regarding the drivers, give Bill a call at Great Planes Audio. They can make the drivers like new.
Good luck,
Marvin