PDA

View Full Version : What does Heritage mean ? example JBL Heritage

wolfshead
02-23-2010, 08:47 AM
I was under the impression that heritage was about older equipment;
Property that is or can be inherited.I would assume inherited items would generally not be new ?

Much of the disscusion here is not about older JBL's but newer JBL's
Certainly there ia a vast diference between JBL speakers today than pre-1970's. A totally different company with a very different direction.

I admit I am confused, Thanks

Tom Brennan
02-23-2010, 08:54 AM
I admit I am confused

We agree on one thing.

1audiohack
02-23-2010, 09:13 AM
wolfshead

Me too! I wonder what you could possibly hope to accomplish by asking that question? Be honest.

wolfshead
02-23-2010, 09:16 AM
wolfshead

Me too! I wonder what you could possibly hope to accomplish by asking that question? Be honest.You did not answer my question.
why would you answer my question with a question ?

JeffW
02-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Heritage: A legacy or tradition.

JBL has a legacy of making great speakers. In the tradition of those older legacy speakers, JBL today makes great modern speakers. These speakers reflect the heritage of the great older speakers of days gone by, but incorporate new designs and materials to vastly improve the sound over that of the legacy speakers.

Titanium Dome
02-23-2010, 09:54 AM
My 35-year-old son inherited a pair of L7s and LX300s from me. My 33-year-old daughter inherited a pair of E50s, and my assistant got a pair of S26s from me. All were built by JBL in the '90s or '00s.

So not only did these persons inherit (dic. def. #3, "receive or come into possession of a product from a predecessor or former owner") JBL products, they are also the beneficiaries of my heritage (dic. def. #2, "a special or individual possession; an allotted portion") and legacy of loyalty to JBL and its heritage down through the years, from 1970 (my first new JBL purchase) to 2010 (my most recent new JBL purchase).

Sadly, I just miss your pre-1970 cut off date for real JBL Heritage. :banghead:

Mr. Widget
02-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Much of the disscusion here is not about older JBL's but newer JBL's..JBLs today, owe so much to their heritage. We appreciate all aspects of this heritage. On an individual basis, some may be more interested in a particular area of this heritage, but taken as a whole we discuss gear from the 1930s to the 2010s.

I admit I am confused, ThanksPerhaps off topic, but probably more important, it seems that most here are not interested in discussing your more provocative assertions. I think your best posts are the ones where you shed light on your own personal experiences over your long participation in this field. Your grousing about how things have changed has been well covered and we really don't need to go there again.

Widget

wolfshead
02-23-2010, 10:50 AM
JBLs today, owe so much to their heritage. We appreciate all aspects of this heritage. On an individual basis, some may be more interested in a particular area of this heritage, but taken as a whole we discuss gear from the 1930s to the 2010s.

Perhaps off topic, but probably more important, it seems that most here are not interested in discussing your more provocative assertions. I think your best posts are the ones where you shed light on your own personal experiences over your long participation in this field. Your grousing about how things have changed has been well covered and we really don't need to go there again.

Widget
The discussion of JBL"S from 1930 until 2010 lends itself to comparsions.
Which was better ? which direction did JBL follow after being purchsed by Jarvis ? is the new technology in speaker design superior to the older designs.

I wrote JBL in 1969 asking the questions why JBL was moving away from their original design speakers to the LE series.
I also inquired about horns.
JbL's answer " The newer JBL Olympus and Sovereign systems provide better performance than the older Hartsfields and Paragons." Construction Blue prints were no longer available for the Hartsfield.
Thomas P. Campbell . Technical Service Department.

Later when reading some of the publications of that period many suggested that JBL was making changes due to cost. Understandable.
Most of the reviews at that time of the Olympus and Sovereign was not postive.

What I have posted here is provocative. It is not my intent. It is only to have a discussion on the quality of JBL speakers compared to before the
change was made to control cost and before JBL was sold to Jarvis.

I will in the future abide by your rules. Thanks.

Fred Sanford
02-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Excerpts from the Forum Rules thread here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2696

Forum Rules
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The intent of this forum is to develop a community of people that share a common interest in the products and legacy associated with James B. Lansing. To that end, it is my intent to foster as wide ranging discussion as possible.

To make this place enjoyable and useful to its members, there are a few basic guidelines.

First, before you post a question, use the search feature that is accessed from the row of buttons at the top right corner of all pages. Since this forum has been in operation for some time, there is a very good chance that any question you may have has been asked and answered before.

Second, make sure that you post in the appropriate forum. For example, do not announce your Ebay auctions in the "General" forum. The "Marketplace" forum was specifically designed for this type of post.

Third, try to ensure that replies to any given post remain on topic. If your reply to an existing post constitutes a change in subject, it is better for everyone involved if you create a brand new thread devoted to your new subject.

It is not my intent to turn this site into the epitome of political correctness. Above all, have fun. Remember, it's a hobby and we're supposed to enjoy it.

LE15-Thumper
02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Make like a bee and buzz off...:slink:

go pester some other forum, like PETA

Maron Horonzakz
02-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Can you define that sound of BUZZ ?

LE15-Thumper
02-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Can you define that sound of BUZZ ?

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+buzz&btnG=Search&meta=

Maron Horonzakz
02-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Now define it in french,,,,,With a french accent

scott fitlin
02-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Now define it in french,,,,,With a french accentLe BZZ, Le BZZ, Le BZZ!

OUI?

:coolness:

Titanium Dome
02-25-2010, 05:42 AM
Now define it in french,,,,,With a french accent

C'est simple: bourdonnement. Bien que la plupart des juvéniles français disent simplement "Buzz" (à la "booze").

JBL 4645
02-26-2010, 05:22 AM
I was under the impression that heritage was about older equipment;
Property that is or can be inherited.I would assume inherited items would generally not be new ?

Much of the disscusion here is not about older JBL's but newer JBL's
Certainly there ia a vast diference between JBL speakers today than pre-1970's. A totally different company with a very different direction.

I might not have gotten high scores at school I have maybe 80IQ if I’m lucky! But this question is just as silly as they come.

The site has history lesion of the legacy its starting origins what has transpired over the course of its history. The man, who started it all, James B. Lansing
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:anhneNaxYYW7NM:http://www.woodhorn.com/Commercialdrivers/Altec/jbl-crop.jpg

I mean really this thread is a dumb and dumber as they come.:banghead:

I mean what’s the next preposterous question going to be?

Bose what is it and what does it mean?http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/images/smilies/other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

I know that! Analysis! Answer! = It blows! No it doesn’t blow clothing! It just blows!

4313B
02-26-2010, 08:33 AM
JBLs today, owe so much to their heritage. We appreciate all aspects of this heritage. On an individual basis, some may be more interested in a particular area of this heritage, but taken as a whole we discuss gear from the 1930s to the 2010s.Yeah, too bad it all goes to hell in a handbasket at the end of June of this year.
Fitting end to a great run :barf:

mikebake
02-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Another exercise in onanism.