PDA

View Full Version : Just a personal rant...

Akira
02-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Not that it would concern many on this forum but....

Just saw Avatar. Loved the movie and will definitely see it again, this time in IMAX....BUT!!!

As a post guy I am very disappointed that they did not list any credits for the audio post team. Movies like this incorporate an army of techs and engineers who deserve acknowledgment. It may interest you to know that on a large budget production the post work usually out numbers the editing team 10 to 1 and the production time takes 3 times longer. There is also a much, much wider skill set involved in audio, not to mention way, way, way more gear and facilities.

Surely these people deserve more credit than the drivers, catering, production assistants and friends of friends who just happen to know some one. A colleague of mine worked as one of the many sound designers on the film Gladiator. For his part he was paid $16K but told he would not be given a credit on the film unless he forfeited $6K of his salary--wtf?

There is a general disdain for the audio department, especially location mixers and boom ops that is well known in the industry. I have gotten huge amounts of grief for delaying a shoot for 5 minutes for a battery change or asking for the basic essentials, like room tone. In the meantime the DOP will hold up a shoot for an hour and a half just to try out another angle and everyone is patient. I have even seen more patience exercised for a cigarette break...but, if it is audio causing the delay %&##!!!

Allanvh5150
02-17-2010, 12:06 PM
What is Avatar?

scott fitlin
02-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Akira, I feel you. many things in our lifetimes that go unsung, but, underneath it all, HAD SO MUCH TO DO with the success of....

Allan, Avatar is the HOTTEST new Fantasy/Sci Fi movie, done in digital 3D, IMAX 3D, and has a fabulous soundtrack to match!

Spectacular effects, music, and sound work.

lansingfan
02-17-2010, 06:05 PM
What is Avatar?

environmentalists against the bad greedy capitalists. A real snoozer.:D

lgvenable
02-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time Allan

Tom Brennan
02-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time Allan

It's a remake of Run of The Arrow but without Sam Fuller.

Wait, it's a remake of Broken Arrow but without Jay Silverheels as Geronimo.

Wait, it's a remake of Dances with Wolves but without Wes Studi.

lgvenable
02-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I didn't say I liked it, but it was the best use of a double entendre ;) I could think of off the cuff.

did I add if you like the cover on YesSongs, you'll like the art in the movie...

speakerdave
02-17-2010, 08:18 PM
It's a remake of Run of The Arrow but without Sam Fuller.

Wait, it's a remake of Broken Arrow but without Jay Silverheels as Geronimo.

Wait, it's a remake of Dances with Wolves but without Wes Studi.

No, wait . . . it's a remake of Matrix, but without the sparkling presence of Keanu Reeves.

Oh, no, wait . . . . it's a remake of the Ewok Village except nobody's very cute.

lgvenable
02-17-2010, 08:40 PM
;

opps thread highjacking!

jcrobso
02-18-2010, 02:03 PM
In Church if the soloist picks up the mic mike and starts singing and nothing comes out every one turns around and looks at the sound guy. Instead of the soloist who forgot to turn it on.:banghead:
I would turn on the wireless mics just before the service starts and tell everyone NOT to turn them off, but there all wise seemed to be few that did.
At one point in time I made big sign that said TURN ON THE MIC. I would hold this up for all to see, after a few times of doing this the problem seemed to go away.;)