PDA

View Full Version : Usps & Canada

tom1040
01-26-2010, 04:01 PM
I sent out a envelope(letter size) to canada via registered,return receict requested. As I understand now, there is no tracking number from any source to find out where the hell it is.

Anyone have ideas, phone numbers or other sources to track this down?

tom1040
01-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Next time-if there is one-Fed-Ex overnight. Christ, i am pissed at my self. Oh well, just means a longer wait.

That is, if Fed-Ex works the same in the US & Canada.:banghead:

boputnam
01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
The only thing you can know from USPS, is when it arrives - and of course, if it doesn't.

UPS "Standard" to Canada seems to work almost like "Ground" except it is laden with customs forms that outwit me everytime. :biting:

HCSGuy
01-26-2010, 06:50 PM
If you are sending a letter with no value, Fedex or UPS is probably easier. However, send equipment via USPS. They have a reciprocal agreement with Canada Post to handle each other's customs forms. If you send Fedex or UPS, they use a 3rd party customs handler and charge you for it, usually $30-40. Also, if you send USPS, the package is held at the Canada Post office and cannot be picked up without paying the customs fees. Fedex will leave the package and bill the fees. I had a EBay buyer once in Canada who worked at a hotel. He had me ship the package there, then ignored the Fedex bill. They came back to me and gave me the option of paying the $127 in customs or have my Fedex account suspended. Now I send USPS/Canada Post only. Hope this helps...

tom1040
01-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Well, I shipped my letter with a bank managers check via registered mail & retrun receipt requested to a Business that operates out of Canada. Would that be held up for some reason? Why wouldn't it go directly to the business?

Anyway, I called USPS international division and was told that after 10 days, they could 'inquire' on its' whereabouts. the destination was 'only' 635 miles away-I should have driven there and saved the hassle & shipping costs(speakers).

tom1040
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Well, it cleared customs and will reach final destination tomorrow. Thanks for everyone help. :)

Akira
01-27-2010, 11:43 AM
However, send equipment via USPS. They have a reciprocal agreement with Canada Post to handle each other's customs forms.
Speaking as a Canadian...IF YOU SEND ME ANYTHING BY UPS I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH YOU AGAIN.
UPS are theives. They will bill you an extra $70. just for giving you a bill from the government. They call it a brokerage fee. Fedex is way more reasonable and they mail an invoice to the receiver after delivery of goods.

tom1040
01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Cleared customs but yet to the final destination.:bs:

HCSGuy
01-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but Akira, you see why I will not ship Fedex - they will leave you the package and send a bill later. If you choose not to pay it, they will send you several more bills, but that is the extent of their diligence to pursue the matter. Why should they pursue it further as they get paid either way - either you pay the bill or they come back to me and suspend my account until I pay. I'm not going to come up to track you down, so the risk in fraud is low on the receiver's part, none on Fedex's part, and all on the seller.

Alright, Tom1040, thanks for letting me rant, back to your letter...:)

Is this for your 1400 Array's?

tom1040
01-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Yes, as a matter of fact, it is.

tom1040
01-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Well how 'bout that! Received today. Speakers get shipped Monday. I hope the tracking on these will be easier.

Earl K
01-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Hi Tom,

( Hopefully you don't mind me prying )

I'd appreciate any answers you can offer up ( since I've never shipped into the USA ) .

Well how 'bout that! Received today.

How many days was your letter in the postal "system" / so to speak ?

Speakers get shipped Monday. I hope the tracking on these will be easier.

Who's your chosen carrier, selected to bring the speakers into the US ?

Do you have any idea how much they'll charge you ( to clear US customs on your behalf ) ? ( ie; brokerage fees )

<> cheers :)

ps; looking forward to some pics of your new babies ! ;)

tom1040
01-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Not a problem! Actually it really was not that long! In sequence:

1) registered mail sent on 1/20/10 from Maine;
2) arrived & cleared Canadian customs 1/27
3) arrive @ Bryston 12/29

Byrston is using a company called TST Overland to deliver by skid to me.
I am unsure of the delivery date-will update when I know
No Brokerage fees-JBL is made in the USA and the product is shipped(from Canada) to the USA-qualifies under NAFTA

$360 shipping costs.

Have a good day, Sir!

Earl K
01-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks Tom,

(A) So, 9 days in the postal system ( all in ) .

(B) Your shipping charges may include brokerage fees .

- FWIW ( here in Canuck Land ) ; "Brokerage Fees" are separate from any Duties ( +/or Taxes ) that might be owing ( to the Feds ) .

- Even under the NAFTA(s) protocals , someone ( usually the carrier these days ) must "classify the goods" coming into our country / & then do up the proper paperwork ( even if duties aren't owing because of a "country of origin classification" ). Creating & submitting this paperwork is what triggers the charge of a "Brokerage Fee" .

- No paperwork for the "Feds" to peruse / no legitimate "release" of said item .

- ie; Carriers this side of the border are defacto Tax-Collectors for our government .

<> cheers

tom1040
01-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Well, when Mr. Tanner and I were discussing this (after shipping $ had been exchanged), he asked the Bryston shipping dept. to check into the brokerage ? and the answer was none. Perhaps when he asked them for the initial $ for shipping, that the shipping dept DID figure that in. I do not know the answer to that. However, I thought that $360 insured to my front door was reasonable?

By the way, I think they will be here next Thursday, perhaps Friday. I will know better sometime Monday. I am sitting her listening to the S/2600 speakers and thinking that speakers can't sound any better but.....well, I will find out by the end of next week!:)

Earl K
01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks !

I'll be looking forward to hearing your impressions / particularly how they compare in the "imaging department" vs the S2600 .

<> cheers

rlsound
01-29-2010, 03:22 PM
The brokerage thing is a major rip off. I still use UPS, but if a package is coming from the US to canada, I tell the sender to tell UPS that I'll be self-clearing the package.

This involves them calling you when package shows up at the bonded warehouse and you go and pick up the paperwork, drive to customs, usually after a day after filling out the paperwork on the computer, you get a call.

Pay the Taxes, and go back to the bonded warehouse and hand in the papers.

They release your parcel.

Time is around an hour ( provided your near the airport/port ) and you save the BS brokerage charges.

tom1040
01-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Why all the hassle, I wonder? Jeez, I am glad I didn't get into that situation! Have a good weekend!

Marvin
01-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Hey, if you think thats a hassle, try shipping them to Mexico. Or worst yet, Central America.

rlsound
01-30-2010, 12:11 AM
No hassle, just plan your day accordingly :)

Marvin
01-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Exactly!
I once spent 7 hours trying to get across the border from Guatemala into Honduras. The paperwork is ridiculous. And don't forget the bribes. Bribes WILL speed things up a bit. Maybe you could try to bribe the UPS or FedEx people for faster service, HA. (Yea right)

rlsound
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
The Brokerage fee is the bribe! :P

tom1040
01-30-2010, 04:28 PM
The S/2600's will win. I am listening to these as I write. Amazing speakers. Man, I hope I made a 'good' choice.

tom1040
01-30-2010, 04:49 PM
...gotta' give some credit to the Tannoy supertweeters as well. :bouncy:

Earl K
01-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Man, I hope I made a 'good' choice.

Well, both models utilize the principal of "Defined Directivety" ( from the horn module ) to give their superalitive imaging ( this I'm told / never having heard either ).

They ( obviously ) differ in the components used within each system but more importantly ( to me ), they differ in the way that this "directivety" is obtained from each horn type .

These differences in implementation ( of D.D. ) should be audible ( in a nuanced fashion ) .

Hence my casual interest for a comparison between the two .

<> cheers :)

The S/2600's will win. I am listening to these as I write. Amazing speakers.

I'm wouldn't be so sure . Greg Timbers went way out on a limb ( apparently ) to put the Array series into production . I don't discount that very easily . ;)

tom1040
01-30-2010, 05:26 PM
You are right, of course. 10 years of R&D should result in a superior product, which, in fact, TDome has confirmed. I have a bit of faith in his opinions here. Yet, I am really uncertain what to do with the S/2600 gems. They did not win the Golden sound award for nothing.

I have Infinity Kappa RS8 & 8.1 with a SSW-210 sub in a HT system-separate room-works for me, yet I will have a hard time letting of these S/2600's. I put them on CL---in Maine=not likely.

Oh well, I may take them to my Florida property. They, to me, are the bst JBL's ( or any speaker) I have heard....so far, of course,