PDA

View Full Version : Directivety on diyaudio

timc
01-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi.

Thought some might find this interessting. Discussion around direvtivety by, among others, Earl Geddes.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/159101-new-white-paper-posting.html

-Tim

Tom Brennan
01-23-2010, 12:46 AM
So Geddes finally found himself a site where people kiss his ass, eh?

4313B
01-23-2010, 09:25 AM
So Geddes finally found himself a site where people kiss his ass, eh?So that was his quest?

I thought his obsession was to build a better 4430...

timc
01-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Rofl...Seems like i have misunderstood something.

I actually thought Geddes had som cred among the members here.

-Tim

Mr. Widget
01-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I actually thought Geddes had som cred among the members here.
I was first made aware of his writings some years ago when a fellow forum member pointed me to a thread elsewhere where he was offending numerous posters with numerous assertions and unsubstantiated claims followed by acerbic comments when his posts met with skepticism.

These days he seems to be on a mission of self promotion attempting to profit from his ideas.

Widget

4313B
01-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Rofl...Seems like i have misunderstood something.

I actually thought Geddes had som cred among the members here.I've met him but I don't know him at all. I wouldn't know anything about his cred.

Tom Brennan
01-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Well I think he knows what he's talking about and a couple of people whose taste I trust say his speakers are excellent. But it's his pompous, intolerant and self promoting manner that annoys many; he got all puffed up when the horn anarchists at Audio Asylum didn't kow-tow to him. He left in a huff.

Bruce Edgar, Duke, Fitzmaurice and Tom Danley get along fine over there but they're not looking for acolytes.

timc
01-23-2010, 01:58 PM
When it comes to mild mannered and nice people i would also like to mention Nelson Pass.

I think his creations sound very good (amplifiers), and he is not so überprotective about how he makes stuff. He does not use the latest scamium00X.

The way GT behaves is also nice. Keeping a low profile, and comes with great input from time to time.

It is very true that there are far to many fanatics out there :P

-Tim

Zilch
01-25-2010, 12:26 AM
I actually thought Geddes had some cred among the members here.He does, but now considers me a troll and won't speak to me anymore.... :p

Tom Brennan
01-25-2010, 11:24 AM
He does, but now considers me a troll and won't speak to me anymore.... :p

That's because you didn't display proper deference. You should've addessed him as "Herr Doktor"; he likes that.

Ian Mackenzie
01-25-2010, 06:57 PM
I expect only 2 % of the membership actually undertstand the complexity behind Geddes designs.

The problem is that Geddes overall approach flys in the face of convention because he has chip on his shoulders over they way he thinks industry and used him and screwed him over. Dare to be different and what do you expect.

That does not made him an idiot. If he sold the rights to a large multinational and it was promoted under the likes of JBL brand for example, everyone would say it was brilliant and sounded greated before they event heard it go...much like the K series of consumer stuff.

timc
01-26-2010, 02:13 AM
Good post Ian. To be honest I'm baffled by the smooth rollof VS. frequency he has managed in his speakers. Is there any polar plots avaiable on some of the TOTL JBL's or Revel's?

-Tim

JoMoCo
01-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Never forget the first rule of Bar-b-que,

Eat the meat, spit out the bones...:hmm:

Zilch
01-27-2010, 03:14 PM
I received a procedural warning; I'd better shut up, go back to my camp, and lay low under the bridge for a while, now.... :p

timc
01-28-2010, 03:35 AM
Written by Geddes:

I don't do distortion measurements on loudspeakers. They have never been shown to correlate with subjective perception, so its really a waste of time. People do them because they can, not because they should.

??? Does he mean distortion is irrelevant, or does he simply imply that the drivers he work with hav low enough distortion.

One of the things i like about, lets say the S9800, is the lack of coloration. I have atributed this to controlled directivety AND low distortion.......Am i wrong?

Ofc, also low power compresssion, wide dynamic range also..But you get the idea.

-Tim

4313B
01-28-2010, 08:09 AM
People do them because they can, not because they should.Hey! I like that one! :rotfl:

??? Does he mean distortion is irrelevant, or does he simply imply that the drivers he work with hav low enough distortion.I think he means just what he said.

It isn't a waste of time for manufacturers because they know end users like their graphs... they are marketing tools.

timc
01-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Hm....So do YOU think my oppinions about the S9800 is based on false assumptions?

It doesn't really matter, but i like to corolate what i hear to something factual.

-Tim

4313B
01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I personally think the ultra-low distortion drivers in the K2-S9800 have a positive impact on the performance of the system.

What I don't think one can do is compare loudspeaker distortion curves and conclude that one is better than the other based on those curves.

timc
01-28-2010, 12:21 PM
What I don't think one can do is compare loudspeaker distortion curves and conclude that one is better than the other based on those curves.

Of course not. Distortion is just one of many parameters. But as you i do think it is a parameter worth having as small as possible.

-Tim