PDA

View Full Version : new surround or new recone

tinnitus
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I bought a used pair of 116As that need new surrounds. I've followed Bo's instructions on surround application with much success. My question is this: how much "strength" will a good spider provide? While cleaning the old surround off, rotating the driver, I noticed what would appear to be voice coil rub sound. Is this due to the lack of a surround and good spider or bad spider and damaged voice coil? How much support should the spider provide without a surround? Note: The spider appears to be flat not sagging.

Do I try to apply a new surround or go for recone?

Many thanks,
Gary

Eaulive
01-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I bought a used pair of 116As that need new surrounds. I've followed Bo's instructions on surround application with much success. My question is this: how much "strength" will a good spider provide? While cleaning the old surround off, rotating the driver, I noticed what would appear to be voice coil rub sound. Is this due to the lack of a surround and good spider or bad spider and damaged voice coil? How much support should the spider provide without a surround? Note: The spider appears to be flat not sagging.

Do I try to apply a new surround or go for recone?

Many thanks,
Gary

Without a proper surround, it's perfectly normal to have voice coil rubbing. The proper centering of the coil is achieved by both the spider and the surround, the voice coil is a cylinder, it has to be properly aligned and its up/down movement has to be perfectly perpendicular to the top plate, the surround is critical for the latter.