PDA

View Full Version : How does it do what it does ?

SEAWOLF97
01-04-2010, 05:26 PM
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LPCRREC

Leave it to George Cardas to keep your turntable-based system at peak performance with a cutting-edge tool for system set-up, diagnostics, and maintenance. Produced by George Cardas and mastered by Stan Ricker, the Cardas Frequency Sweep and Burn-in Record includes all the essential standard tones plus relative and absolute polarity checks along with vocal channel identification.
To combat accumulated magnetic grunge, George provides a trio of frequency sweep tracks that ultrasonically clean the cartridge stylus and degauss the entire system. Also on-board are locked pink noise grooves that repeat endlessly, blank plateaus, and even a sync label to check platter speed. "The Sweeper" is mastered at 16 2/3 rpm, plays at 33 1/3 rpm and comes in a super-stable 180 gram pressing.

Mr. Widget
01-04-2010, 11:42 PM
If you take your guassmeter to your moving coil cartridge after playing the degauss track you will be pleased to discover a cartridge free of unwanted magnetism. :)

Of course, if you took the meter over to your cartridge before buying the disc, you would find your wallet a bit thicker and your cartridge still free of unwanted magnetism. ;)

I actually respect George Cardas. He manufactures a wide variety of high quality wires, cables, and accessories. That said, you need to take all claims with a grain of salt. George is big on using a particular hardwood for a variety of audio applications... according to his sales literature, Mrytlewood is rare and has unique sonic properties. Well, maybe, but isn't it interesting that Bandon Oregon, his home, is full of tourist shops selling trinkets and bowls carved from this abundant local wood. ;)

Widget

Eaulive
01-05-2010, 08:03 AM
If you take your guassmeter to your moving coil cartridge after playing the degauss track you will be pleased to discover a cartridge free of unwanted magnetism. :)

Widget

And how exactly can you differenciate the "bad" magnetism of the unwanted crap and the "good" magnetism of the internal magnet of the cartridge? :blink:

Mr. Widget
01-05-2010, 09:37 AM
And how exactly can you differenciate the "bad" magnetism of the unwanted crap and the "good" magnetism of the internal magnet of the cartridge? :blink:That's why I mentioned moing coil cartridge... a degaussed moving magnet cartridge would be have extremely low output. :D

Maybe they should print a warning on it... "Do not use with a moving magnet cartridge. Damage may result!" :rotfl:

Widget

Titanium Dome
01-05-2010, 09:40 AM
And how exactly can you differenciate the "bad" magnetism of the unwanted crap and the "good" magnetism of the internal magnet of the cartridge? :blink:

That's the beauty of it, YOU don't have to. George and his magic LP will do it for you. You simply have to trust him.* :yes:

*and send him money

jcrobso
01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Lets review the concept of degaussing, back in the early tape days it was necessary to degauss the the tape heads, to remove any built up of unwanted magnetism in the heads. As ferrite heads came along the need to degauss diminished.

Magnetic cartridges have a small permanent magnet in them, moving coil or moving magnet have this. Now if the you degauss this magnet your cartridge will have a very low output as Widget said.

Now if you have a moving magnet cart. you can buy a new stylus and your back in business. If you have moving coil cart your SOL, it is toast!

Eaulive
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
That's why I mentioned moing coil cartridge... a degaussed moving magnet cartridge would be have extremely low output. :D

Maybe they should print a warning on it... "Do not use with a moving magnet cartridge. Damage may result!" :rotfl:

Widget

I know you know this already, but a moving coil cartidge has a magnet.... fixed :D

SEAWOLF97
01-05-2010, 10:53 AM
read a little further ..it can "degauss the entire system"

Eaulive
01-05-2010, 10:57 AM
read a little further ..it can "degauss the entire system"

I think I will stay away from this, one of my 123A-1 is degaussed enough already....

sonofagun
01-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Just be sure to swallow the blue pill first... :bouncy:

or is it the red one :hmm:

SEAWOLF97
01-05-2010, 12:47 PM
You've all danced around the resulting effect , -if it works- , but not answered the original question.

IF it can do what is promised, .... by what principle can tracks on an LP degauss a cartridge or an entire system ?

Allanvh5150
01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
I guess it probably degausses those troublesome CD's as well....

Eaulive
01-05-2010, 01:18 PM
I guess it probably degausses those troublesome CD's as well....

Or the brain of the listener :D

You've all danced around the resulting effect , -if it works- , but not answered the original question.

IF it can do what is promised, .... by what principle can tracks on an LP degauss a cartridge or an entire system ?

More seriously, to degauss something is to apply an alternating magnetic field that is stronger than the permanent field to be eliminated. This alternating magnetic field also has to fade away slowly or to stop at zero crossing to avoid defeating its own purpose :D

First, to degauss something that has a permanent magnetic field as one of the major component technically means that this "something" will not work afterwards DUH!
Speakers, phono cartridges, laser pickups (yes, it has magnets) and the like.

Second, if you talk about "degaussing" some other parts of the system, I don't see why a "special track" is needed, since music is essentially AC and contains all frequencies, it seems to me it's the best way to "degauss" anything... if there's such a thing.

Sorry about the sarcastic answers, some of us have difficulty to approach these subjects seriously. I'm one of them.

jcrobso
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM
This whole concept is based on junk science or snake oil, if you prefer.
We are one of most educated countries in the world and the white van people are out there selling their junk, some of them over the internet. The term buyer beware still applies.
The point is that it is a bunch of whooie. Go read the Emperors New Clothes.

Titanium Dome
01-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Just be sure to swallow the blue pill first... :bouncy:

or is it the red one :hmm:

In this case, it's the brown one, and it goes here: :moon: