PDA

View Full Version : What's Playing Now

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

MikeM
04-18-2003, 07:15 AM
Just wondering if you guys will post some great recordings youve heard here. Try " Lilly Was Here " by David Stewart. Movie sountrack. Its all here highs, lows, front to back, side to side And out to the street deep. Jazzy

4313B
07-01-2004, 04:41 PM
the CORRS live in LONDON

Robh3606
07-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Great Idea!

Some early Jethro Tull "Stand Up"

Rob:cheers:

4313B
07-29-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
the CORRS live in LONDON Ok... can anyone recommend another great Corrs DVD???

4313B
07-29-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Robh3606
Great Idea!

Some early Jethro Tull "Stand Up"

Rob:cheers: What is a good Tull DVD?

4313B
07-29-2004, 07:28 AM
I just picked this up and am fairly disappointed. Can anyone recommend a better SRV DVD?

Don C
07-29-2004, 07:45 AM
I have that SRV DVD, and I like it. One of my favorites. There is a different one, but I don't have it.

4313B
07-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Hmm, I thought the top end was a bit muted compared with other DVD's I have. That's my only real disappointment.

boputnam
07-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Ok... can anyone recommend another great Corrs DVD??? Giskard!! :scold: Sure they are pretty, but DOOD! :rotfl:

boputnam
07-29-2004, 08:12 AM
XM Radio - Station 50 (The Loft)
XM Radio - Station 60 (Deep Tracks)

other than that, pretty much Grateful Dead. ;)

4313B
07-29-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by boputnam
Giskard!! :scold: Sure they are pretty, but DOOD! :rotfl: Exactly! :rotfl:

boputnam
07-29-2004, 08:19 AM
:hmm: Maybe I too should have a look at that DVD... :slink:

4313B
07-29-2004, 08:20 AM
I'm thinking of picking up this DVD today. Should I follow through?

4313B
07-29-2004, 08:23 AM
:hmm: Maybe I too should have a look at that DVD... :slink:A few years ago a guy at work tried to turn me on to the Corrs but I didn't bite.

A few months ago my wife asked me if I liked the Corrs. It seems she heard a tune of theirs and liked it. I subsequently picked up the DVD instead of a CD. Same price...

boputnam
07-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Yea, I had the same initial reaction. Too much Pop. But, that something about that first track - Only when I Sleep - (and of course the setting...) quite grabbed me.

If you can listen to So Young and not hum harmony, you are stronger than I. Quite an interesting hook.

What blew me away, was their interpretation of Little Wing. Great cover. My copy might be different than the US version.

On the Mac, I am a real non-fan of Nicks. Awful, IMO. Conversely, I find McVie to have one of the most hauntingly interesting voices around. She ain't bad on the B3, either. Her ex on Bass is classic, and Fleetwood's Kit has always been remarkable. I've seen that live DVD on the tele and it is quite good - only too much focus on the gypsy lead singer for me. Give me more Christine McVie anyday... http://www.christinemcvie.com/

4313B
07-29-2004, 09:58 AM
"On the Mac, I am a real non-fan of Nicks. Awful, IMO."

:rotfl: The goat lady of rock and roll doesn't float your boat eh?

Yeah when I heard Christine wasn't in the latest line-up I lost complete interest.

Robh3606
07-29-2004, 10:17 AM
I didn't realize she wasn't on the last one and I miss her. The Goat Lady???

Rob:)

4313B
07-29-2004, 10:26 AM
You've never heard Stevie referred to as the goat lady of rock and roll?

I think it has to do with how she bleats through songs... DJ's use the reference on the radio occassionally. I can handle her in moderation.

boputnam
07-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Yeah when I heard Christine wasn't in the latest line-up I lost complete interest. Bingo. Exactly. I'm anxious to hear her recent solo release.

Robh3606
07-29-2004, 12:00 PM
"You've never heard Stevie referred to as the goat lady of rock and roll?"

Nah ah ah ah hh I don't get out much!

Rob:)

jblnut
07-29-2004, 12:19 PM
I can offer some input here since I have built up quite a concert DVD collection.

SRV - Get "Live at the ElMocambo". It's a much better DVD than the collection of Austin City Limits episodes on that other one. I have both.

Santana "Supernatural" - my first concert DVD and still one of my faves. Has DTS sound and the mix is spectacular. Great video and very high quality.

Steely Dan "Two Against Nature" - another super-sounding DTS DVD. Hate the cut though, as they mix interviews after each song instead of making it an extra to view later. Keep the remote handy and you'll be fine (click next track after every song to skip the interviews).

Clapton "One More Car...One More Rider" - filmed on the 2001 tour this is my new favorite. The DTS sound is amazing and his band - fuggaboutit. Steve Gadd, Billy Preston, David Sanicious, etc. Even if you don't like Clapton you'll find something to like here. Almost half the tunes are blues standards.

Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" - this was one of the first concert DVD's out and it's still a reference by which others are judged.
DTS sound is suberb.

Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live" - A great show and another great DTS soundtrack, but to be honest he overdubbed a lot of the show so it's not a true representation of what it really sounded like. This is the wive's fave...

Elton John "Greatist Hits Live" - I was perpared to be underwhelmed by this show but really ended up loving it. He has lots of special guests and the DTS sound - really, really, really good. This is my "Bass Test DVD". Play Rocket Man really loud and get ready for the notes near the end of the song. I'd like someone to tell me just how low they are - it sounds like it might be less than 20hz.

Pink Floyd "Pulse" - OK this one is really a bootleg (but a damn good one) you can get off ebay. Since the PF guys won't GET OFF THEIR ASS and release Pulse or Delicate Sound of Thunder on DVD, this is the best we have for now. It's only Dolby Digital and yes the video is a little iffy in places, but it's a KILLER show and the one my friend's request most often. If you're a floyd fan, you need this DVD.

Talking Heads - "Stop Making Sense" - they did a great job making this DVD. It's the only DVD I know of that has two different 5.1 mixes - one"soundboard" and one "audience".
Watch it both ways and you get a totally different experience.

That's probably enough to fill your shopping carts for now. Message me if you want more recommendations...

jblnut

4313B
07-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the list jblnut :yes:

I've got the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" and Elton John "Greatest Hits Live" and really like both so I will definitely start collecting the rest on your list. :)

Don C
07-29-2004, 05:34 PM
I screwed up on the Stevie Ray DVD, I don't have the one that Giskard showed. The one that I have and like is "Live at the Mocambo"
Let me add one selection to the good DVD list, John Mayall's 70th birthday concert. I really like that one.

jontherev
07-30-2004, 04:45 AM
A superb dvd is Gov't Mule's "The Deepest End". What a concert that was...I was there! In case you don't know who Warren Haynes is, he's currently one of two lead guitarists plus a songwriter/singer of the Dead AND the Allman Brothers. Nice resume`! Also, that new Allman dvd is smokin'. Derek Trucks is probably the greatest slide guitarist ever imo. Also, I 2nd the El Mocambo suggestion, though I only own the video.

As for what's playing right now...Martin Sexton's 'Live Wide Open' (just a cd, no dvd).

boputnam
07-30-2004, 07:46 AM
If you like that, you simply must get "Deepest End". A wonderful concert, production and recording wherer Government Mule memorilizes their original bassist, Allen Woody.

From the mule.net website:

By now, the word has spread about Gov't Mule. The group's incessant nature along with its visceral blues and jazz-based attack has garnered one of rock's most loyal followings. Comprised of original members Warren Haynes (guitar, vocals) and Matt Abts (drums) along with keyboardist Danny Louis (joined the April 2002) and bassist Andy Hess (joined the band September 2003), the group continues to blow minds, while breaking new musical ground.

This past May, Gov't Mule staged a truly historic event in New Orleans. On May 3rd, some of the planet's most legendary musicians assembled at the Saenger Theater for The Deepest End concert, which served as a tribute to original bassist Allen Woody, who passed away in August of 2000. The show featured countless special guests, many of whom appear on the band's two recent albums The Deep End Volume 1 & Volume 2. Over the course of the six-hour marathon concert, collaborators included everyone from Jason Newsted (Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne) to Jack Casady (Jefferson Airplane) to Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck & The Flecktones) to Les Claypool (Primus, Frog Brigade).

"It was one of the most amazing nights of music that I've ever been a part of or witnessed," says Haynes. "Technically, I think it came off about as good as it possibly could. We were all flying by the seat of our pants. We were coordinating all these different musicians who had all these places to be and other schedules and shows. I can¹t imagine it running much smoother. I kind of felt like the whole night there was this big wave of energy and I was just being dragged along by it."

"There's no pretending in Gov't Mule," says Newsted. "The music that Warren Haynes and Matt Abts and Allen Woody made together is a certain form of blueprint for a style of music that really is an original and unique formula. When you have that type of chemistry and one of the people is taken away, that's never gonna go away and it takes 25 of the greatest bass players to fill his shoes, but they're still not filled. It just speaks huge amounts for the respect that these guys have for him. He's looking down right now and going, "Holy crap!" He probably never would have imagined that he would have gotten so much respect."

Jaws dropped around the globe as the set list circulated on the internet, but there is hope for those who missed the star-studded six-hour gala. The magic was documented on one DVD and two CD's, which has been packaged together as The Deepest End, and released, Tuesday, October 7, on ATO Records.

"On a night like this, it's fun because there's no real time to rehearse so it gives you an extra adrenaline boost," said Victor Wooten. "When you have to improvise like that, most of the time you end up playing some of your best things because you don't get to work on it."

The band's most recent albums, The Deep End Volume 1 and Volume 2, honor Woody in a unique way. Instead of making a traditional tribute record, Haynes and Abts invited many of Woody¹s heroes to appear on the records and play almost entirely new material. The response was overwhelming. Volume 1 features guests such as Gregg Allman (Allman Brothers Band), Jack Bruce (Cream), Bootsy Collins (P-Funk), John Entwistle (The Who), Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) and Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band) to name a few.

Because nearly everyone on Gov't Mule's "wish list" was interested in participating in the project, it became clear that all of this talent would not fit on one disc. Thus Volume 2 was released and features an equally impressive roster of players: Chris Squire (Yes), Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel), Rocco Prestia (Tower of Power), John Scofield, David Grisman and Billy Cox (Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsys). All of the recording sessions were filmed by Phish bassist Mike Gordon for inclusion in his documentary, Rising Low. The movie serves as both a tribute to Woody and a behind-the-scenes look at the powerful recording sessions.

Meanwhile, Mule continued its relentless touring schedule, welcoming a range of guest bassists on the road. Oteil Burbridge (Allman Brothers Band), Dave Schools (Widespread Panic), George Porter Jr. (The Meters) , Greg Rzab (Jimmy Page, Buddy Guy), as well as Jason Newsted and the talented Andy Hess (The Black Crowes, Joan Osborne, John Scofield), all played several dates with the band over the last two years. The fan base grew exponentially during this period, as diehards traded live recordings of the group and discussed musical minutia on the "E-MULE" listserve. There was so much support for the band that its anthem "Soulshine" was voted Song of the Year at the 2002 Jammys.

Gov¹t Mule's funk number, "Sco-Mule," which features guitarist John Scofield, was nominated for a Grammy Award in early 2003. Haynes of course is no stranger to the Grammy's, he has accepted an award with the Allman Brothers Band in 1995 for the live version of "Jessica" (the band was also nominated for three other Grammy's). Since rejoining the ABB in 2001, Warren has reinvigorated the group yet again. Along with Gregg Allman, Haynes wrote the material for the heralded new album, Hittin' the Note, which band members and critics alike are calling the best release since 1972's epic Eat A Peach. Haynes co-produced the album with Michael Barbiero (Guns & Roses, Blues Traveler).

The Mule formed in 1994 when Haynes and bassist Allen Woody were touring as members of the Allman Brothers Band and wanted another creative outlet. After joining forces with Abts, the trio immediately noticed an intense chemistry and began touring relentlessly. Haynes estimates that the band played upwards of seven hundred shows in just a few years. "We just bonded completely," recalls Warren. "Musically and personally we became an entity. Gov't Mule did so many shows in such a short period of time, at least six or seven hundred. We shared hotel rooms, tour buses, our whole world, our whole life."

Gov't Mule will announce a new permanent bassist in September and will move into a new phase of its illustrious career. The Deepest End concert in New Orleans signified the end of the rotating bass status for the band and closure for the Deep End project that celebrated Woody's life. But no one had any idea it would be as historic and legendary as it turned out.

"We were just on a mission at the Saenger," said Matt Abts. We got a killer performance. We opened the show with "Bad Little Doggie" and it just kicked ass. I think some of the songs are definitive versions. I thought "Lay of the Sunflower" beat the record, totally. The "Voodoo Chile" with Jack Casady and Ivan Neville was killer."

"Matt had his work cut out for him," adds Warren. "There were fourteen bass players and each new bass player that steps on stage, the drummer has to readapt to a new chemistry, a new pocket that's being created between the bass player and the drummer. You're talking about someone who is one of my all time favorite drummers, so my expectation level of Matt is really high anyway. For him to go above and beyond that was amazing. I don¹t know where he gets the energy and the focus to do that."

One source of inspiration is likely Haynes, who is a rare breed. Very few musicians in history have been so well-rounded that they are guitar virtuosos, powerful vocalists and gifted songwriters. Similar to predecessors such as Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix, Warren is at the forefront of today's musical trailblazers.

"People turn out for Warren because everyone has absolute confidence that if he is involved, the music is going to be great," says Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio, who has performed alongside Warren on many occasions. "He is the only player of our generation who has his history completely together; and it is clear the minute you play with him. He is just the sickest guitarist and the most together guy you can share a stage with."

This fall, the group embark on its Rebirth of The Mule Tour, which will welcome special guests Chris Robinson and New Earth Mud for a national tour to support The Deepest End. Plans are already underway for a three-night New Year's run at The Beacon Theater in New York City, December 29-31.

jontherev
07-30-2004, 08:06 AM
IMHO, Gov't Mule during the years when Allen Woody was alive was the greatest rock band since Led Zeppelin...actually better than LZ.:D With the new lineup, they still outclass most other acts, but the magic in that original trio was something otherworldly. It took two people to just TRY to replace Allen.

Allman Brothers Live at the Beacon Theatre (2003) is the name of the dvd I couldn't think of before. They are sans Dickey, but they sound as good now as they did in the early years. Also, their new album Hittin' the Note, like Gregg himself said, is indeed the best album they've put out since Eat a Peach. Of course, IMHO. ;)

John
08-13-2004, 01:42 PM
For about 13.00 dollars at best buy you can not go wrong with a copy of Roger Waters "in the flesh-live" Fantastic sound and the video looks like you are there,plus this concert is over 2 hours and he covers all the pink floyd hits as well as his top solo work.

DavidF
08-13-2004, 03:03 PM
On the Mac, I am a real non-fan of Nicks. Awful, IMO. Conversely, I find McVie to have one of the most hauntingly interesting voices around. She ain't bad on the B3, either. Her ex on Bass is classic, and Fleetwood's Kit has always been remarkable. I've seen that live DVD on the tele and it is quite good - only too much focus on the gypsy lead singer for me. Give me more Christine McVie anyday... http://www.christinemcvie.com/

Ah, Bo, words I have spoken so many times before that really pissed off many of my friends. I can really appreciate Nicks' song writing (if she gets off the whirly witch thing) but I can not take that nasally-groan singing style. But she had the looks, right?

I have seen F/M once live (way back now about 1978). One fabulously tight band. Fleetwood and McVie have to be one of the best, if not the best, rythmn sections around. Buckingham draws your attention with his intensity, both in is songs and performance. Christine brings balance to this intensity. Eh! Then there is Nicks swirling around acting alluring and mystical, who knows what for.

Saw this show on PBS and it is a fine performance.

David F

jblnut
08-13-2004, 05:47 PM
My friends and I have the same kind of arguments over PF. I have seen them on both the Delicate Sound and Division Bell tours, and have this to say - G'bye Roger, I don't miss you. He's a head case that thought he was "the band" and is mostly resonsible for the contractual cock-up that has kept most of their DVD material from making it into print. I don't miss his dark and twisted material (the best songs on The Wall were Gilmour tunes) and he was *easily* replaced (and surpassed) as a bass-player and singer.

That said I don't doubt his solo DVD is probably pretty good. I just don't (and won't) support him after the mess he made of what is perhaps the best band you will ever see live.

To bring this back into something JBL related, I believe PF's last several touring rigs have featured JBL sound. You haven't lived until you've heard Gilmour work his magic through a sound system this good. It's absolutely unreal to hear the tone he gets in a stadium.

Damn I hope they tour one more time !!!! I need to kick everyone out of the house and crank up the Delicate Sound Laser Disc again.....

jblnut

Ian Mackenzie
08-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Just got copies of "Live at the Mocambo" and the One More car One More Rider DVD's.

Both are great.

Ian

John
08-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Well funny thing is if Roger Waters was not the flux that kept the tunes flowing why did pink floyd hire a bunch of writers to whip up all those tunes for the division bell cd. And why did it sound like a remix of the wall.??? I also believe that the main idea for the wall was water,s idea althought in any band there is going to be some input from the other members. If you do not want to purchase the dvd you should try to borrow a copy. The band line up is made up of members of claptons band as well as others that make it a joy to watch. And by the way i am a big fan of David Gilmour and his guitar tone is to die for.

jontherev
08-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Just wondering if anyone saw these guys play. It was a Pink Floyd cover band in the late 90's and early 00's. Members included Allen Woody (from Allman Bros. and Gov't Mule), Matt Abts (Mule), Marc Ford (Black Crowes), Johnny Neel (Allman Bros.) and Barry Oakley. They never came out with an album, but you can download plenty of their live shows off the net. Very interesting takes on Floyd material. The show I saw was one of my favorites of all time. I also saw PF once in the early 90's, and they were quite good themselves.:D

johnaec
08-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Does anyone remember that Pink Floyd album cover that had all their live audio components laid out on a parking lot, like they were getting ready to load weapons on a plane? :rolleyes: (UmmaGumma?). I can't remember what the components were, but is sure was impressive! I may even have that album in storage somewhere - I'm taking a week off coming up to go through all that stuff, and if I come across it I'll post a pic.

John

boputnam
08-19-2004, 08:33 PM
OK, I'm home alone (thus dominating all FIVE Main Forums... :banghead: - sorry...).

But this DVD is stunner. The vid is old school - cameras only at FOH, and sidestage, none of the crouching shots from underneath the frets - but the mix is really, really good. I believe, in my heart-of-hearts this is what JBL designed the 4345's for. Those 2245's effortlessly reproduce - with punch - the intricate bass lines Phil Lesh lays-down through his dual pairs of monstrous 18 cabinets. I'm not a Donna-Jean or Keith Godcheaux fan, but this is still a really good show.

http://stores.musictoday.com/store/product.asp?dept_id=1573&pf_id=DEAM250DVD&band_id=171&sfid=7

boputnam
08-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by johnaec
Does anyone remember that Pink Floyd album cover that had all their live audio components laid out on a parking lot, like they were getting ready to load weapons on a plane? :rolleyes: (UmmaGumma?). I This...?

http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/disco/umma/umma_album.html (go to Album Artwork)

Odd - that seemed impossible to cut/past - had to hard enter it...

johnaec
08-19-2004, 09:04 PM
That may be it, Bo, though I *thought* it showed more stuff. Since that was over half a lifetime ago for me, 'don't know how well I can count on my memory... :rolleyes:

John

boputnam
08-23-2004, 08:54 AM
If you're not heard this, you will want one. It is simply the best ABB since the 70's. My grab is, they've studied some of the old recordings, and have revived the old versions - perfectly and artfully. According to Warren Hayes' interview in RS, he, for one, brought back some Duane licks from the Fillmore Live shows. The band is ever-so-tight and well rehearsed. Great vid editing too, with just enough of everything (and crafty melding of the multiple night stand).

Giskard - I'm reminded of the long-promised acoustic CD I offered. I've lately heard a few cuts on alt radio stations, but still think this one is not released. Soon enough...

4313B
10-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Hello Bo and thank you very much for the CD :)
My wife really liked it!

Here's what else I listened to this morning while evaluating those 240Ti's I stole off eBay a few weeks ago. Polypropylene & foil and polystyrene & foil bypass capacitors installed in place of the stock JBL metallized polypropylene bypass capacitors.

boputnam
10-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Dood! Great selection! Man, I need to make a road-trip to the buckeye state, for sure!!

And, that Acoustic Alchemy was a different treat - you reminded me of the "Brothers" show I meant to send: June 1992, acoustic, a benefit show long OOP. Duping it, now...

Ken Pachkowsky
01-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Diana Krall "Live In Paris" Excellent musicians caught in one of those "Magic Moments" that come along only once in a while.

This is still my favorite DVD on the Westlakes "Simply stunning recording!"

The imaging and depth of soundstage is incredible!

"A Case Of You" played at 105db in a dim lit room will give you goosebumps I promise.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

boputnam
03-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Time to re-light this long worn Thread...

Our inimitable Infredible turned me onto this. Whoa...

We heard it first on the May, and I simply had to buy a copy!! :yes:

Here, at home on the 4345's in this room, the recording is even more remarkable (JMHO). The bottom-end is SO full with the 2245's. Wow. And, a very open and smooth high-end. Feels like even better than a live performance because the LF is so optimally reproduced.

Branford Marsalis, Omar Hakim, Hugh Masekela, Marcus Miller, Mike Fisher, Harvey Mason, Abraham Laboriel, Carlos Rios and Don Grusin. Besides the great aggravation of artists, Grusin does a great job of overseeing an apparently compression-free recording. Recorded at Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, Record Plant Stage M, Hollywood and Clinton Recording, Manhattan.

Fred, you gotta make the trek down here! :applaud:

FWIW, Infredible and Speakerdave have the most interesting music collections I've ever come across.

Ken Pachkowsky
03-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Will grab a copy Bo. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Lets keep this thread alive.

Leonard Cohen "Ten New Songs"

Very nicely done. If you like LC this is a must have for a high end system.

Also a DVD I picked up. Eric Clapton "One More Car One More Rider"

Excellent live recording with Steve Gadd on the kit, Billy Preston and other great musicians.

Ken

mikebake
03-22-2005, 07:04 AM
ha! Lots of familiar covers there. The classic Crusaders album was Scratch.
Hello Bo and thank you very much for the CD :)
My wife really liked it!

Here's what else I listened to this morning while evaluating those 240Ti's I stole off eBay a few weeks ago. Polypropylene & foil and polystyrene & foil bypass capacitors installed in place of the stock JBL metallized polypropylene bypass capacitors.

jblnut
03-22-2005, 07:34 AM
ha! Lots of familiar covers there. The classic Crusaders album was Scratch.

I was just listening to "Street Life" on vinyl this weekend. It's a really good recording - better than I remembered. The sax really jumps out of the mix and the bass is super clean and tight.

Continuing my voyage of vinyl re-discovery (no pun intended :) )...

jblnut

boputnam
03-28-2005, 09:19 PM
A most compelling compilation.

Well know songs by the artist in completely novel renderings, with orchestral or jazz band backing - by her choice. Wonderful production - at least here in this space of mine! ;)

Robh3606
03-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Well your probably going to cringe but just did an AC/DC, Van Halen, Pearl Jam, Creed with a Black Sabbath finish. High fidelity it's not but it sure is fun! As the Wizard fades away into the blacklight.

Rob:rockon1:

boputnam
03-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Dood!! You still have a dayjob - GET TO BED!! :bash:

duaneage
04-01-2005, 10:16 PM
I was just listening to "Street Life" on vinyl this weekend. It's a really good recording - better than I remembered. The sax really jumps out of the mix and the bass is super clean and tight.

Continuing my voyage of vinyl re-discovery (no pun intended :) )...

jblnut
I have a rare white label promo of a 12 inch version of streetlife, one of the few records I prefer to the CD

boputnam
04-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Afterall - it ain't what's being played so much as what it's being played on... :p

4313B
04-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I'll bet even that Corrs "crap" sounds good on them! :p

pmakres1
04-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Afterall - it ain't what's being played so much as what it's being played on... :p

Very Pretty, very nice!

Can I have them? :)

Peter :D

Infredible
04-17-2005, 02:08 PM
If you want to chalenge your system this is it!
Dzihan & Kamien, Gran Riserva. This CD is one of the best recording a had to come accross, period. This is the most amazing sound that I yet experienced on my system. Like Dave Grusin it has that really high dynamic range, compression free sound. If you like innovative electronic music just buy it without questions. Bo, trust me on this one :bouncy:

Fred.

jblnut
04-19-2005, 07:35 PM
The turntable is really getting a workout these days. I'm rediscovering albums I haven't played in 20 years - and I'm loving them just as much (or more) than I did then.

Digital is great for the convenience factor but if you're going to clear out a couple of hours to sit down and really listen to music - especially old favorites - it's hard to beat analog....

jblnut

JuniorJBL
04-27-2005, 10:57 AM
I find this one very good and an old fav. only small pic from the net:(
THE ROMANTIC WARRIOR
Return to Forever
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7122&stc=1

Very good fusion IMO:D

Ken Pachkowsky
05-26-2005, 12:47 AM
From Larry Carlton's "Saphire" Album/CD

Do yourself a favor and listen to the following:

"Take Me Down"

Simply one of those magic moments. Terry McMillan plays harmonica on this and they have a dueling instrument thing. Larry's guitar is simply amazing and Terry is one of the great harmonica players. This is great blues and the production is incredible as with most of Larry's material.

The whole album is good.

Bo, this tune will blow you away on those 4345's.

Ken

4313B
05-26-2005, 04:56 AM
Thanks.

I'm always in the mood for some Larry "Cooltones".

Titanium Dome
05-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Okay, I'll confess that I had forty free minutes yesterday, and I absent-mindedly put on the Greatest Mixes: The Best of the Thompson Twins. I hadn't heard them for a while.

Think what you want about me even owning a Thompson Twins CD, but I was shocked at the sonic properties of this CD. Crystal clear, clean, articulate, every note and instrument in place...oh well, you already think I'm nuts, so I won't go on. :screwy:

If you can't admit you like the Thompson Twins, like I do, then love it for the the sound, not the music. :nutz:

Zilch
07-23-2005, 01:32 AM
BIG thanks to Infredible for turning me on to these guys. This is the "Live" version of some of the tracks on Gran Riserva he posted above, rearranged, and more, plus a bonus disk of remixes.

Don't know if he has this one, but, trust in the Zilchster now: it'll mess with your mind AND your speakers. Consider it a blessing if both survive. :p

www.sixdegreesrecords.com (http://www.sixdegreesrecords.com/)

Ignore the Flash 7 prompts if you want; they'll still let you in....

Downtempo, lounge, jazz, world, ambient, electronica, loud, live, GOOD!

Chas
07-23-2005, 04:49 AM
"Unspeakable" a lot lately. Sounds fantastic on my large formats. Highly recommended and easily the best Frissell I have in my collection. The guy just blows me away....:blah:

Ian Mackenzie
07-23-2005, 06:59 AM
Yeah, I'll bet even that Corrs "crap" sounds good on them! :p

I sense a certain ambiguity this statement,

This is definately one post we want deleted.

andresohc
07-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Outside of the live version and Gran Riserva, any other recommendations for Dzihan & Kamien, (I really liked Gran Riserva)

BIG thanks to Infredible for turning me on to these guys. This is the "Live" version of some of the tracks on Gran Riserva he posted above, rearranged, and more, plus a bonus disk of remixes.

Don't know if he has this one, but, trust in the Zilchster now: it'll mess with your mind AND your speakers. Consider it a blessing if both survive. :p

www.sixdegreesrecords.com (http://www.sixdegreesrecords.com/)

Ignore the Flash 7 prompts if you want; they'll still let you in....

Downtempo, lounge, jazz, world, ambient, electronica, loud, live, GOOD!

Ken Pachkowsky
07-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Very well recorded and produced material but too Electronica for my taste, but heh, thats the great thing about music! Listened to both albums completely.

More suggestions please!

Ken

louped garouv
07-24-2005, 10:36 AM
I have been listening to a good friend of mine,s CD -- Tyrin Benoit and the Shuckers -- louisiana blues/zydeco/rock fusion stuff -- for something close (that I really like as well); most of you all would be able to find his big brother in most well stocked record stores -- Tab Benoit, but Tab is a bit more bluesy/rock sounding.... they both grew up in Houma, LA

I listen to this type of music when I get homesick -- don't know if it makes it better or worse....

Rusnzha
07-24-2005, 05:23 PM
I find this one very good and an old fav. only small pic from the net:(
THE ROMANTIC WARRIOR
Return to Forever
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...ntid=7122&stc=1 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7122&stc=1)

Very good fusion IMO:D

This is some of the best stuff ever. It is available on SACD from Music Direct. The only reason I don't already have it is the $50 cost. Also, I don't know if this is in stereo or surround, but when I got $50 extra kicking around, I will get it!

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/search.asp?cat_id=30&man_id=ALL&advSearch=stdSearch&search_desc=no&keyword=romantic+warrior

Steve Schell
07-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Here's a CD that has been in heavy rotation here lately:

Unforgivable Blackness - A Film by Ken Burns
Original Soundtrack Recording by Wynton Marsalis
Blue Note #7243 8 64194 2 2

The 21 tracks feature all sorts of up and down tempo period jazz pieces and moody atmosphere music. All are performed well and recorded with great clarity and punch. Horns and string bass sound like they are in the room with you. It is a rare example of great system demo material that is also fun to listen to.

louped garouv
07-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I love Wynton Marsailes.....
when I was going to the University of New Orleans, the Marsalises used to play the Jazz recitals that were part of the required concerts for music classes....... not too bad for 'required' listening performers.....

we also used to get treated to the Nevilles playing on campus for like $7.00...

Here's a CD that has been in heavy rotation here lately:

Unforgivable Blackness - A Film by Ken Burns
Original Soundtrack Recording by Wynton Marsalis
Blue Note #7243 8 64194 2 2

The 21 tracks feature all sorts of up and down tempo period jazz pieces and moody atmosphere music. All are performed well and recorded with great clarity and punch. Horns and string bass sound like they are in the room with you. It is a rare example of great system demo material that is also fun to listen to.

majick47
09-04-2005, 08:17 PM
My vote for the best ever "live" rock album has to be Van Morrisons "It's Too Late To Stop Now". The Eagles live might have a very slight edge technically but they can't touch Vans "Irish soul music" for emotion/delivery. Recorded in '73 or '74 the performance and quality of the recording is outstanding by any measure you could apply.

Rusnzha
09-04-2005, 08:25 PM
I just got hold of Macho by Gabor Szabo. This is a real treat.

Steve Schell
09-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Majick47, I'm in complete agreement. "It's Too Late To Stop Now" is some of Van the Man's finest work, and has provided much pleasure for three decades now. It is about time to pull it out again for another straight through listen...

majick47
09-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Steve if anyone wants to know what makes JBL speakers so special they only have to listen to this album to hear the difference between JBL and "audiophile" speakers. JBL and Van, a match made in audio heaven.

Mrs Lansing
09-16-2005, 05:30 PM
The Doobie Brothers - Live at the Wolfe Trap National Park July 25, 2004.

http://www.doobiebros.com/

Sounds cool anytime but better loud!

Mrs Lansing

louped garouv
09-17-2005, 12:52 AM

Mrs Lansing

welcome aboard....

Alan Fletcher
09-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Now: Forensic Files - CourtTV.

Earlier: Murali Coryell - Eyes Wide Open

:applaud:

duaneage
09-17-2005, 07:41 PM

Mrs Lansing

Jim Lansing did quite well for himself;)

rloggie
09-18-2005, 12:05 PM
I rarely play vinal and have been without a phono section for some time. Just got a one-off battery powered unit and have rekindled the love.:D

Now playing Elvin Jones, "It don't mean a Thing..." on a Germany lable, ENJA,

Outstanding. :applaud:

morbo!
10-25-2005, 06:33 AM
VAN MORRISON (because of his great recordings)sterio is not a right its a privledge!!

ERIC JOHSTON (see above + he is a guitar soloist)

jo satriani (just a big sound)

metalica (of course) just the pop type stuff 4 me

claypool (he rockz)

any type of ska (luv the hornz)

people name some stuff that u like
i will listen to nearlly any tpye of music exept rap doesnt deserve to be played on my system
and bieng an aussie i dont get to hear alot of your bands
i just heard kaki king but cant switch the speakers on till tommorow (too late now:snore:)
but i will add her to my list tomorrow

morbo!

Rolf
10-25-2005, 07:00 AM
i want some new bands to listen to

Hi morbo.

Can I suggest Mighty Sam MacClain, the album "Joy and Pain", most of the Frank Zappa albums, Frankie Goes To Holywood, Tangerine Dreams, ... The list can be long. All these albums sound very good on JBL's. Also just if you want to try, there is a Norwegian Artist, "Kari Bremmnes" all albums, but "Svarta Bjørn" is my favoritt. Her Albums is EXTREEMLY ultra Hi-Fi.

Ofcource ... It depends on what you like...

Regards

Rolf

bigyank
10-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Here is one for you to try, his name is Jim Weider:

http://db.etree.org/bs_d.php?artist_key=8051

Some of his shows are available for download. I have seen him 3 times over the last couple of years.

Yank

morbo!
10-25-2005, 07:07 AM
thanks guys
i will look into all you have suggested
bieng a backward islander (as a yankee clan member used to call me)who doesnt listen to radio or watch much tv
i miss alot of artists out there but am not so much into main stream anyways

any of you guys ever seen bela flek that guy is awsome it`s shit living on the wrong side of the world

aussie

morbo!

morbo!
10-25-2005, 07:10 AM
especially you big yank i just clicked on that link and browse the 1st thing i seen was the flek man (so many bands)

awsome
im comming over sooo much live music
bruce hornsby and flek i would luv to see live

soon to be x aussie (lol)
thanks a heap 4 that link

damb the more i look on that web site the more jelous i am

Mr. Widget
10-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Here is a thread you should check out.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2724&highlight=playing

Widget

cantelow
10-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi Morbo. You like ska but you don't like rap?? Bet you'd like the rap I'm listening to this minute. It's Control Machete's album, Artilleria Pesada. Great latin rap with lots of luscious background. I don't understand Spanish, but don't need to to enjoy it, it's a great sound.

morbo!
10-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi Morbo. You like ska but you don't like rap?? Bet you'd like the rap I'm listening to this minute. It's Control Machete's album, Artilleria Pesada. Great latin rap with lots of luscious background. I don't understand Spanish, but don't need to to enjoy it, it's a great sound.

man im listen to this now
and it is funny i can picture them walking around the stage talking about how large their package is and how they gonna hold it
5 moronz and a turntable

p.s if any1 can translate this song and tell me how right i am i would gratefull

Rusnzha
10-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Brian Auger's Oblivion Express Preferably remastered version
Genisis Foxtrot
Gabor Szabo Macho or Femme Fatale

paragon
10-26-2005, 11:46 AM
The Corrs !
She`s walking through the clouds !!
Sad and beautifull music !!
Did you hear them with your JBL`s ?
Lousiana bride ! You`ll be my bride . Cold rain on my face . Did you hear it ??:D

Eckhard

4313B
01-27-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm always up for listening to

Nightbrace
01-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Best diagnosing tool is the Stereophile test CD. Vinyl, unless PERFECT, can never sound as good as even a regular CD played on a player with a great D/A convertor. But as the Walgreens commercial says, we don't live anywhere near perfect. DAT tapes are neat, and were actually very good, but not as easy to work with.

If you've never heard a modded player with 24-bit/192KHZ DAC's you'll wonder why anyone bothers with LPs. A stand-alone player, like the NAD 5060 I use currently with the $9, yeah thats right, $9 Benchmark DAC-1.3's, to me is more than acceptable and has outperformed the few SACD players I have tried using normal 16-bit 44.1 KHz CD's on the NAD vs. the same recording on an SACD.
The way I fashion speakers (and complete systems) to sound good in a particular room, (as every room is entirely different), is I start off with the least detailed set-up and slowly work my way up. This is a very generalized approach, but for now, for me at least, it seems to get things done fairly well. I get the best speakers I can afford, and tweek things slowly (via the crossover, L-pads, pre-amp adjustments, till they sound the most detailed without being over bearing at around 95 Db.) This is a veryfine line, and once dialed in, its hard to explain, but they just sound "right".

However, bass response can sometimes be a problem when using this method. Thats why once I get them right, as far as detail, I usually recommend using a quality subwoofer like an HSU or Velodyne if you are unhappy with the bass performance. I sometimes, in very LIVE rooms, need to even get very warm sounding speakers like Advents or KLH's as you guys probably know, JBL's are very difficult to set-up in a live room for critical listening. Home Theater to me is nearly impossible to get right unless the room itself it properly dimensioned and conditioned, but with 2-channel nearly any room can sound good with a little patience.

hapy._.face
01-27-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm always up for listening to

..I don't get it. (??) I need punchlines like falling bricks.

JuniorJBL
01-27-2006, 03:42 PM
..I don't get it. (??) I need punchlines like falling bricks.

Checkfield (http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/card/0,,414149,00.html) : Through the Lens

jim3860
01-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Best diagnosing tool is the Stereophile test CD. Vinyl, unless PERFECT, can never sound as good as even a regular CD played on a player with a great D/A convertor. But as the Walgreens commercial says, we don't live anywhere near perfect. DAT tapes are neat, and were actually very good, but not as easy to work with.

If you've never heard a modded player with 24-bit/192KHZ DAC's you'll wonder why anyone bothers with LPs. A stand-alone player, like the NAD 5060 I use currently with the $9, yeah thats right, $9 Benchmark DAC-1.3's, to me is more than acceptable and has outperformed the few SACD players I have tried using normal 16-bit 44.1 KHz CD's on the NAD vs. the same recording on an SACD.
The way I fashion speakers (and complete systems) to sound good in a particular room, (as every room is entirely different), is I start off with the least detailed set-up and slowly work my way up. This is a very generalized approach, but for now, for me at least, it seems to get things done fairly well. I get the best speakers I can afford, and tweek things slowly (via the crossover, L-pads, pre-amp adjustments, till they sound the most detailed without being over bearing at around 95 Db.) This is a veryfine line, and once dialed in, its hard to explain, but they just sound "right".

However, bass response can sometimes be a problem when using this method. Thats why once I get them right, as far as detail, I usually recommend using a quality subwoofer like an HSU or Velodyne if you are unhappy with the bass performance. I sometimes, in very LIVE rooms, need to even get very warm sounding speakers like Advents or KLH's as as you guys probably know, JBL is tough to set-up in a live room for critical listening. Home Theater to me is nearly impossible to get right unless the room itself it properly dimensioned and conditioned, but with 2-channel nearly any room can sound good with a little patience. WOW thats twice ive seen you say that a cd sounds better than a sacd. :bs: There is no way that a cd with the same recording that is on a sacd sounds better. I think that your nad player sounds very good, im sure that if you played the same cd on your nad and a cheap sacd player that the nad would win hands down. But we are talking about a far superior technology with the sacd versus cd. Similar to the same album on cassette versus cd, the cd sounds better every time. the max information you cas store on a cd is around 740 mb the same single layer sacd is 4.7 gb. The cd is being sampled at 44.1 khz. the sacd at 2.8224 mhz 64 times faster!!! The cutoff is around 22khz for cd. sacd is 110khz. the dynamic range for cd is 96 db. the dynamic range for sacd is 120db. I own A cheap pioneer combi player. I own the exact stevie ray vaughn cd and sacd albums. the sacd album wins hands down. IM not trying to pick a fight with you, But in my humble opinion there is no way that a cd of the same recording is ever going to sound better than the same sacd, no matter how nice the cd player is. REGARDS JIM

SUPERBEE
01-27-2006, 03:55 PM
60s Garage Punk
60s R&B
60s Soul
60s MOD/Psych
70s NY Punk
70s New Wave/No Wave
40s,50s,60s Blues
Power Pop

Some fave artists at this moment are

The Byrds, Pretty Things, Stooges, Magic Numbers, Television, MC5, The Who, Bluethings, Bobby Fuller 4, Otis Redding, The Bees, Rolling Stones, Elmore James, The Nerves, Real Kids, Modern Lovers, Jimmy Reed.........OK, I need to stop now.
:blah: :blah: :blah:

ALL preferably on vinyl

speakerdave
01-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Mozart Piano Concerto No. 21 in C major, K 467 on vinyl, Shure V15, Thorens 125, CJ PV9, AR VT60, JBL 4333a, red wine.

JuniorJBL
01-27-2006, 11:02 PM
R30 DVD and beer and what-not!:applaud:

jbl4ever
01-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Pink Floyd Pulse 10/20/94 on LD can not find it on DVD its their best. Good Rum and Cokes:D

2pair
01-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Most recent purchases:

Devadip Carlos Santana: Lotus. A three LP live set from Japan..
Thelonious Monk:Misterioso. LP
Kenny Burrel: God Bless the Child Lp
Bobby Mcferrin: Spontaneous Inventions LP
B.B.King: Live at Cook County Jail ..yep LP

..I use a DUAL 1019 that has just been completely restored by Joel, 'The Turntable Guy' Thorner, at "The Turntable Factory". Grado Red..
http://www.theturntablefactory.com/index.html

I don't drink much, but there is always an ashtray near when I'm listening....;) :thmbsup:

jim3860
01-28-2006, 01:42 AM
Pink floyd- Delicate sounds of thunder album DVD.at the moment. Drinking a cup of coffee. while playing chess against the computer. Damn thing almost always beats me on this level. LMAO:rotfl:

Nightbrace
01-28-2006, 05:16 AM
Jim, if you would have read through my post completely, as well as the last post, both exemplify the fact that I truly think the SACD, HDCD, and even DVD-audio format, when properly utilized, is noticeably better to regular CD's, the problem is that I'd have to spend over $3000 to get SACD's to sound better than regular CD's with the equipment I have. Its just not worth it for me, but those of you with the means to tap its potential, its truly about as good as it gets.

The entry level Sony ES SACD players could not compare to the same recording of a regular CD on my current equipment, which even in itself is not the greatest, the problem is NOT the technology itself, but he proper utilization of this technology into relatively cost effective players. Besides the extra expense, I just don't think its worth it with the minimal number of recordings and the lack of interest this format has gotten.

jim3860
01-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Jim, if you would have read through my post completely, as well as the last post, both exemplify the fact that I truly think the SACD, HDCD, and even DVD-audio format, when properly utilized, is noticeably better to regular CD's, the problem is that I'd have to spend over $3000 to get SACD's to sound better than regular CD's with the equipment I have. Its just not worth it for me, but those of you with the means to tap its potential, its truly about as good as it gets.

The entry level Sony ES SACD players could not compare to the same recording of a regular CD on my current equipment, which even in itself is not the greatest, the problem is NOT the technology itself, but he proper utilization of this technology into relatively cost effective players. Besides the extra expense, I just don't think its worth it with the minimal number of recordings and the lack of interest this format has gotten. Yes actually i did read your post 3-4 times just to make sure that i was seeing what i was. Thats why i said:bs: I just dont beleive it. you said that unless vinyl is perfect it will never come close to the quality of a cd. you said that once someone heard a cd player that was modified with $9 dacs you wonder why someone would even bother with vinyl. you said that the same album on cd sounds better than the same SACD on your nad. you said that you beleive that you would have to spend over 3k to make a sacd sound better than your nad cd player. i happen to disagree with you is all on every above account is all. But thats ok, we can disagree.The world would be a boring place if we all thought the same way. what is important is what sounds good to your ears not mine. its kinda like tastes in music, its very subjective. what i like you may not. It sounds like you enjoy most of your system. the way it is and thats great. ROCK ON. REGARDS JIM.:)

invstbiker
01-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Back in High School, I'm thinkin' junior year we had a music teacher who was pretty far out there and turned us all onto TOMMY. Released in the US May 23rd 1969. (feelin' old now?) Recently re-recorded and remastered by Pete Townshend. Holy shit does this sound good :bouncy:...25 tracks of pure flashback :D

hapy._.face
01-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Back in High School, I'm thinkin' junior year we had a music teacher who was pretty far out there and turned us all onto TOMMY. Released in the US May 23rd 1969. (feelin' old now?) Recently re-recorded and remastered by Pete Townshend. Holy shit does this sound good :bouncy:...25 tracks of pure flashback :D

I bet it does! But what kind of bike do you ride? Can you get me one of those One Eyed Jacks T's at a LH forum discount? lol.

invstbiker
01-28-2006, 09:01 PM
HF, me-Roadking, wifey-fatboy. I'll make you a deal...make a $10 donation to this website, pm me with your address info and I'll make it happen.

SUPERBEE
01-29-2006, 10:16 AM

Wait till you hear "Quadrophenia" again

http://www.quadrophenia.net/thefilm/screencaptures/Mods.jpg

Titanium Dome
01-29-2006, 12:07 PM

Are you talking about the DVD-A version at 96/24 surround and stereo? I picked it up a couple of months ago at the Good Guys death party for under $10. Sweet deal.

Did you check out Pete T.'s interview on the disc?

And yes, SUPERBEE, "A beach is a place where a man can feel..."

It's hard to beat that in mono, stereo, quadrophonic, Dolby 5.1 or DVD-A, vinyl, tape, DAT, miniDisc, CD, MP3, AAC, or whatever. Ultimately it's the music. :rockon1:

hapy._.face
01-29-2006, 12:11 PM
It's hard to beat that in mono, stereo, quadrophonic, Dolby 5.1 or DVD-A, vinyl, tape, DAT, miniDisc, CD, MP3, AAC, or whatever. Ultimately it's the music. :rockon1:

TD-

Cut and paste that in all threads! Well said, dude! :applaud:

chad
01-30-2006, 02:45 AM
Recent listening:

Checkfield - A View From The Edge
Neil Larsen - Through Any Window
Toto - The Seventh One
Acoustic Alchemy - American English
Toni Braxton - Secrets

Don C
02-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Tonight I'm listening to the Eric Clapton DVD, Live in Hyde park. Got it on eBay this week. This is a great disc, It's going to be one of my favorites. Excellent sound quality.

JBL Dog
02-01-2006, 11:40 PM
The CD player hooked to the Metregon has Steely Dan, Norah Jones, the Rat Pack, Burt Bacharach (the wifey hates Burt, I think he's great!), Ultra Lounge stuff, Tom Jones, Jamie Cullam (sp?), Steve Tyrell, Nat "King" Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Van Morisson and Genesis loaded in it.

The "Dog House" with the 4430's hooked up has got a bunch of classic rock we listened to here in St. Louis long ago (better known to the locals as "K-SHE Classics") in the CD player. Artists include Gypsy, Nektar, Bliss Band, It's A Beautiful Day, Triumvirat, Aphrodite's Child, Butts Band, Les Dudek, Steve Walsh, Chilliwack, Pavlov's Dog... the list goes on. Some true Masterpieces!

Sherd
02-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Al Di Meola:
The Infinite Desire

Jaco Pastorius:
JACO PASTORIUS

jim campbell
02-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Emmy Lou Harris,Spyboy dvd with Buddy and Julie Miller,Monk and Coltrane at Carnegie Hall,Daniel Lanois For the beauty of Winona,Miles Davis Sketches of Spain,Kind of Blue

Zilch
02-08-2006, 01:00 AM
That's what SHE said.

Pink Noise

Sinusoidal Sweeps

hapy._.face
02-08-2006, 01:19 PM
That's what SHE said.

Pink Noise

Sinusoidal Sweeps

My vote for best post on the thread. :D Good one!

Titanium Dome
02-11-2006, 09:42 PM
I had a pair of L7s, SVA2100s, L250s, and recently fixed L60Ts hooked up to different receivers. I took the iPod out and used the Griffin iTrip to broadcast to all the receivers tuned to the same frequency, and with the RS meter got the gain set the same for each set.

Using 192kbps AAC audio files, I listend to Flim & The BBs Neon on dmp compact disc from beginning to end. With the flip of a muting button, I could scan from system to system at exactly the same place in the music with no delay. Pretty cool.

Sure, the audio quality isn't "audiophile" ( whatever :wtf: ) but it was a good way to hear the personality of each speaker in immediate contrast to the others.

I enjoyed Flim & The BBs so much, I listened to it again. Very tight.

Ducatista47
02-13-2006, 11:41 PM
...Fleetwood Mac In Chicago 1969. Finished up Joni Mitchell's Hejira, repeated the Jaco Pastorius cut "Refuge Of The Roads." Before that, Patricia Barber's Modern Cool. Last night, Keith Jarrett Solo Concerts Bremen Lausanne, Ralph Towner & Gary Burton Matchbook, and Peter Green In The Skies. The night before, Miles and Coltrane pretty much, some Santana and some Maria Pia De Vito, my favorite female singer.:)

Ah, life.
Clark in Peoria

Nightbrace
02-14-2006, 12:05 AM
Up for anything, as long as the recording quality doesn't kill it, CD's are more than ok when done right/

jim campbell
02-14-2006, 12:10 AM
todays specials were eric dolphy,out to lunch,django reinhardt,djangology 49,some cuts from charlie daniels, fire on the mountain,and townes van zandt,live at the old quarter to round out the evening.

hjames
02-14-2006, 06:55 AM
William Ellwood - Openings (CD) ...
Steve Reich: Different Trains, Electric Counterpoint (Pat Metheny - CD)
Pekka Pohjola - The Mathematician's Air Display (UK LP),
David Sylvian - Live in Theatre (CD - Japan 1988) ,
Santana - Lotus & Moonflower (LPs),
The Who - Who's Next (CD Remaster),
Zappa - The Grand Wazoo (CD),
and a buncha Neo-Surf music Cds with The Mermen, the Insect Surfers, etc ...

I'm listening with a pair of L36 speakers, Denon DP45 turntable and a JVC 9010VBK AV Receiver (locked into 2 channel "Direct" mode for music use).
When watching DVDs and TV I can put it in 5.1 mode

Heather

jim campbell
02-14-2006, 07:57 PM
next to hot rats grand wazoo is my favorite fz album.but for tonight i only have time for one and that will certainly be blue valentine ,tom waits.my first set of jb's were decades but i couldnt afford the next pair w/o selling them.

jim campbell
02-16-2006, 09:02 PM
it must be warm everywhere else so folks are not at home listening.well its forty below zero here so i will walk the woof and lock myself in with bill evans at the village vanguard,duke ellington, indigos and if time permits,the allmann bros, beginnings

02-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Pink Floyd Pulse 10/20/94 on LD can not find it on DVD its their best. Good Rum and Cokes:D

I have the LD as well.:applaud:

Just noticed LD's are really cheap on ebay these days! I just ordered
This is Spinal Tap for like $4! incl shipping...

I'm listing to KFOG at the moment, got the big DAS lenses (folded 2395 clones) w/2445's & 4 dual 2225 cabs cooking to try and warm the garage up, while the office, where the tuner and pre-amp are, playing the same stuff through little cambridge 2.1 system (a freebie, OK?:o:) The garage gets a feed from the pre-amp, had to dig out some inline tranformers to get the hum out! Someday I'll run it balanced since the amps out there are all balanced PA gear anyway... Pre-amp's got the tuner cassette, DAT and 3 PC's connected to it, I think my itunes PC has around 60 days of music on it, I had to replace a 200G drive with a 300 in order to put the new CD's I got over the holidays...:blink: Max bit rate AAC takes a lot of space! looking at a terabyte system so I can convert to lossless... 3 or 4 ought to do it!:banghead:

Chick Corea just came on, sounds like Freeway Jam. Gotta go back to the garage to hear this! Friday nites are always good on this station...

Mike Scott in SJ, CA

Green Onions now, must be an instrumental set... And FZ! Great radio!

jbl4ever
02-17-2006, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=4343]I have the LD as well. So what do you think of it. Got some very low freq. Cost me 4-2235H at Christmas at somewhere around 1K of power

bigredplane
02-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Up for anything, as long as the recording quality doesn't kill it, CD's are more than ok when done right/

You need to got you a Sony SCD777ES and it will show you how much better SACD is over a redbook CD I don't care with you hook it up to

JuniorJBL
02-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Ahhh... the 777:D

gullahisland
02-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Robert Cray - Shoulda' Been Home

On my "new" 4301BEs. Nice!:D

Phil H
02-19-2006, 02:19 PM
I've been trying to broaden my horizons since I found and old Sony FM tuner at a thrift store. I didn't think FM could be so good. Most of the time I am home, I have KCSN playing in the background. They play a wide variety of music except 6-6 M-F when they play classical. Earlier today, I listened to 4 hours of bluegrass. Now, they are playing 4 hours of the Beetles. KCSN is at Cal State Northridge.

http://kcsn.org/programs/

JuniorJBL
02-19-2006, 02:24 PM
A pretty good station is here in Denver and on the web.

www.kuvo.org (http://www.kuvo.org)

speakerdave
02-21-2006, 11:47 PM
"White Label" copy of Workingman's Dead (mostly acoustic set). Brilliant. Terrific soundstage.

David

Shure V15VxMR, Thorens TD125, Conrad-Johnson PV9, Audio Research VT60, JBL 4333A's.

hapy._.face
02-22-2006, 09:56 PM
"White Label" copy of Workingman's Dead (mostly acoustic set). Brilliant. Terrific soundstage.

David

Shure V15VxMR, Thorens TD125, Conrad-Johnson PV9, Audio Research VT60, JBL 4333A's.

Very nice!

speakerdave
02-26-2006, 05:21 PM
J.S. Bach. Cantata 14, "If God were not with us at this time"

Somewhere a long time ago I ran across four boxes of the Telefunken Das Alte Werk series of complete cantatas. This is the first time I've ever worked my way through them systematically. These are very fine recordings, made with period instruments played for musical accuracy rather than historical, but the most amazing part is that the choirs are very clean. So often choir music is spoiled by the presence of one voice which is technically very good but is very grating in tonal quality, usually because the person is less focused on singing with the others than on making his or her own presence more prominent. Often a soprano, sometimes an alto or tenor, it can spoil the whole thing. The choirs on these records have none of that.

Anyway, I was struck by the title of this one, which is also quite beautiful music.

David

jim campbell
02-26-2006, 10:58 PM
i thought for a while that this thread had run course.its alive and helping me add to my wish list exponentially.oh well listening ones way into the poorhouse probably isnt the worst way to get there.tonite Johnny Cash in san quentin is on the box so i guess ill listen to that.merle haggard and waylon jennings @ austin city limits are out on dvd.has anyone else checked out any of these?

briang
02-27-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm listening to AM Talk Radio (in Stereo of all things) right now.:applaud:

paragon
02-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Jericho, at this moment.:)

hapy._.face
02-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Today= Charlie Hunter Quartet- Natty Dread

This is an all out, in-your-face jazz cover version of Bob Marley's Natty Dread album.
It craps all over the original, and takes on a whole new persona. It pissed off the reggae critics when released (97).
It's almost comical to hear these old tunes done like this! Think- elevator music for the body piercing crowd.

If you like your sax solos to sound like dying waterfowl, your percussion solos
to start with rim shots and end in splinters, plus a healthy helping of leslie+archtop+tremoverb put into strange distorted shapes and tones-
this is your album. Refreshingly well recorded and mixed- This thing has fantastic musicianship throughout. It always yields something new with each listen. Lively, engaging and perfectly syncopated. If you are a Marley fan with no sense of humor or a weak stomach- stay clear! If you are looking to get into jazz, but don't like the sounds of the laidback, drip style jazz- Try this one on. One of my all time favorites- it puts me in a good mood every time.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000005H6C.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

SUPERBEE
02-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Left Banke ~ Both 1st and 2nd LPs
Pretty Things ~ Circus Mind
Son House ~ John The Revelator

Then its off to the Vodka store

hapy._.face
03-01-2006, 12:46 PM
NRT: What are YOU listening to today (aside from the tea kettle)?? Miles?

How 'bout you Mr Widget? I bet you have some goodies in your collection!

jim campbell
03-01-2006, 12:52 PM
but which incarnation of miles?

Titanium Dome
03-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Eurythmics: Touch

This could be about a lot of things, but after you chase everyone out of the room, turn down the lights, settle in your chair, and play this in vinyl, it's really just about getting to be in your music undisturbed.

Aqua

Don't touch me
Don't talk to me about it
Don't touch me
Don't talk to me - ever again

I don't feel anything
All sensation is closed to me
I saw you put the needle in
(I can still see) everything

Take me to a quiet place
Throw me in the water
Watch the bubbles surface as
I'm slowly sinking under

Mr. Widget
03-01-2006, 10:18 PM
How 'bout you Mr Widget? I bet you have some goodies in your collection!I like Miles... I was shocked when I asked my folks who were quite the party people back in the 60's if they were into Miles... they were clueless, total squares!

Tonight I was showing off my current speakers to Bo and his lovely wife. We listened to a few of our regulars, and then I put on a Ken Patchalphabet recommendation, Larry Carlton Sapphire Blue... it is damned fine! I particularly like Night Sweats.

Widget

03-01-2006, 10:33 PM
K-12= 12" Karlson Coupler. the first one has an old CV 12" in it at the moment, when the mate is finished, I'm putting my D-131's in. The top-end is a 2420 on an EV 8HD using a thread-bolt-on adaptor. I had to bore it out to match the driver, then take just a bit off the throat of the horn. First impression, not bad... Just ran through a selection of Kraftwerk, Enya, ZZ, and John Hiatt to get a feel for it, then finished with Nektar, Remember the Future. ;)

The D-131's should fill in the hole in the middle... Not sure I like the 8HD, but the speaker is going to be for 5.1, so can prolly live with it.:p

Mike Scott in SJ, CA

SUPERBEE
03-02-2006, 01:16 AM
Brendan Benson.................REALLY LOUD

And drinking

hapy._.face
03-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Brendan Benson.................REALLY LOUD

And drinking

Alt 2 love?
His stuff is so catchy! It's like all the genre rolled into one- never too much of one for long either. Reminds me of everything. :p

4313B
03-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Somebody whining about how slow the network is...

hapy._.face
03-02-2006, 07:50 AM
We listened to a few of our regulars, and then I put on a Ken Patchalphabet recommendation, Larry Carlton Sapphire Blue... it is damned fine! I particularly like Night Sweats.

Widget

I've always admired his perfect tone. I haven't listen to his stuff in a long time; I never got into that much- never heard Sapphire Blue.

I just went to Amazon to hear a few samples and you (guys) are right! Night sweats sounds lush and ripe on texture. What a beautiful sound he has mastered- again. I think it warrants a trip down to my local shop- need to pick this one up for a closer listen. ;)

Thanks!

Just sent my kid off to school. I made enough money to just pay bills in my first two hours of the day. It's raining in the city. The smell of wet asphalt is heavy. Everyone has sqeaky brakes. I'm on my 3rd cup of English breakfast tea. I'm listening to the only album I like from Sigur Ros:

Ágætis Byrjun
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005IC2H.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

...not everyone's cup of tea. It drowns out more than traffic.

hapy._.face
03-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Somebody whining about how slow the network is...

Sorry G. That sucks! Slap em in the head- what do they say then?? :p

4313B
03-02-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm ALWAYS up for some Larry Cooltones. I'll order that now.

SUPERBEE
03-02-2006, 09:20 AM
I can just imagine the crap I am gonna get for this......

Howard Stern

Over the Paragon.

rockecat
03-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Tonight we will be enjoying the Strat Pack DVD, I caught this performance on one of the cable channels and I had to order it.Since the surround is not set up yet I will run it through the two channels. This DVD is really a must I would have paid the ten buck's just for the performance from David Gilmour.:bouncy:

jim campbell
03-03-2006, 04:34 PM
once you get your paragon sterilized try spaces by larry coryell.

Titanium Dome
03-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Conjure One's Extraordinary Ways on my JBL Simply Cinema system in my home office.

BTW, I got this terrific album free.

Here's the rest of that story: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9708

SUPERBEE
03-04-2006, 12:28 AM
once you get your paragon sterilized try spaces by larry coryell.

Thanx...

But I always blast a little Bo Diddley on Chess or some Buddy Holly on Coral and its good as new

Ken Pachkowsky
03-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Artists include Nektar, Butts Band, Les Dudek,Pavlov's Dog... the list goes on. Some true Masterpieces!

Les Dudek, Pavlov's Dogs David Sircamp (not sure of the spelling) take me back to my twenties. He sure has an unusual voice. I wonder what ever became of him? I do see our musical tastes are very similar.

Been a while, just thought I would say hello.

Ken

johnaec
03-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Right now - the DZIHAN & KAMIEN Orchestra - Live in Vienna. What an outstanding bass player!!

John

jim campbell
03-04-2006, 11:11 AM
just got my waylon jennings,merle haggard at austin city limits dvds friday and with luck will audition tonight

Ken Pachkowsky
03-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Tonight I was showing off my current speakers to Bo and his lovely wife. We listened to a few of our regulars, and then I put on a Ken Patchalphabet recommendation, Larry Carlton Sapphire Blue... it is damned fine! I particularly like Night Sweats.

Widget

Hmmm. Try living with it!:banghead:

You say what? Could you spell that please? I was 17 before I could spell, or say it!

Yep, its a great cd...

Try Harry Connick "When Harry Met Sally"

Stunning recording! What a talent.

Ken

speakerdave
03-04-2006, 11:42 AM
I second the comment on Spaces. Coryell was one of me favorites when I was into that style of playing ("blazing guitar," I called it). I thought John McLaughlin was the best. His acoustic album is still one of my favorites. The title is quite pretentious--My Goal is Beyond--but still.

David

jim campbell
03-05-2006, 09:08 PM
dont have my goals and beyond,but i really like extrapolation,birds of fire and some of the shakti stuff

speakerdave
03-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I have three or four of the Mahavishnu Orchestra LP's I play from time to time. After seeing your post I listened to Spaces. I really like the contrast of styles. John plays so fast and so clean it is really amazing, very polished, cerebral style. Larry is more than a little rougher but the energy he gets down is very spikey, intense, unpremeditated. When it comes to the riffs John can go so far he makes you forget where he started, but Larry's playing feels more like it comes out of the ethers right now, and he can put two riffs together that contrast remarkably, but it's one continuous thought.

Thank you for reminding me of this album!

David

jim campbell
03-05-2006, 10:44 PM
i often wondered if anyone else had that album.testify!!!!

jim campbell
03-06-2006, 10:00 PM
there has been much talk of little feat on another thread so i think dixie chicken is in order.

Don C
03-06-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm listening to the DVD-Audio surround disc of Dark Side of the Moon. It's the Alan Parsons mix from the original quad master tapes, and it's fantastic. Available in newsgroups for DTS or on Bit Torrent.

hapy._.face
03-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Down in the Basement (from the Joe Bussard collection)

If this CD doesn't make you smile- your face is broken!:)

Titanium Dome
04-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Emmylou Harris is singing Together Again on her Producer's Cut DVD-A. What a voice, what music, what a recording!

While not necessarily a technical tour de force compared to some of the whizz-bang multichannel stuff, it sounds great, clean, natural, and it's music: honest-to-goodness, gosh-darn music. Sitting in the midst of the Performance Series, listening to this goddess of simple country music is bliss, pure bliss. Now, it's the beautiful, haunting, longing Tulsa Queen.

Ah, Emmylou, you've been an Angel of Sound for so many years. What would I ever do without you?

oznob
04-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Hey Ti,
She always had great musicians behind her with The Hot Band, especially when James Burton was playing lead guitar! I will certainly check that one out! Oh, do you like her music?

Titanium Dome
04-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Hey Ti,
She always had great musicians behind her with The Hot Band, especially when James Burton was playing lead guitar! I will certainly check that one out! Oh, do you like her music?

Pretty much got it all, including the boxed stuff. :bouncy:

SUPERBEE
04-02-2006, 11:39 AM
I just picked up the Springfield Rifle's first LP on Burdette. They are a little known garage band from Washington who had a reginal hit with a song called "100 OR TWO"

Good stuff!

http://pnwbands.com/SpringfieldR1.jpg

But I am having to play it on the Paragon set up since the Thorens is down right now

JuniorJBL
04-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Aenima This is a good recording that not many new rock bands get.

hapy._.face
04-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Aenima This is a good recording that not many new rock bands get.

That's excellent. A classic. ;)

JuniorJBL
04-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Not that I like the man but Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and "Off the wall" are recorded VERY well. They are one of those recordings that you can just keep turning UP.

JuniorJBL
04-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Try Harry Connick "When Harry Met Sally"

Ken

Also Harry for the Holidays

northwood
04-11-2006, 12:49 PM
So much effort on the system. So much money spent. So much talk. All about the components. Upgrade- UPGRADE!!

I would like to know what these forum members are actually listening to! What kind of music do you enjoy most? Any favorites? What do you crank up? What do you use as a reference track? Disk (format), Tape, or Vinyl please...
Cool jazz,Bebop,Boosanova,R&B,Rock,Symphony,Drama.Elvis.Of cause Jazz is the most.

CD,LP,MD,APE[harddrive].

boputnam
04-12-2006, 06:52 PM
From my nearly favorite vintage of Dead, this is a great show.

When Mydland was on keys/B3 it always seemed to drive Garcia further. Jerry was in excellent voice, and, as per usual, the recording is top-quality. A must addition to any collection, and if you're looking for a great example of a great Dead show, this is right up there. :applaud:

Best heard on 4345's, to fulfill Lesh's bass endeavors...

speakerdave
04-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Abdullah Ibrahim with Carlos Ward, Live at Sweet Basil, Vol 1. This album always rewards me with its captivating beauty. I have it on the original vinyl, which I've been told is rare, but I assume its been reissued on CD.

boputnam
04-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Taxman - The Beatles

:o:

jim campbell
04-16-2006, 04:10 PM
long john baldry; it aint easy

Mr. Widget
04-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Joni Mitchell- Travelogue

While I work in the shop on yet another pair of horns.:D

Widget

boputnam
04-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Joni Mitchell- TravelogueI love that. But, no time for love. It's tax time...

4313B
04-16-2006, 05:13 PM
There's only one good song left...

oznob
04-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Just found "Champagne Jam" by The Atlanta Rhythm Section burried in a box. Great stuff! :applaud:

Titanium Dome
04-16-2006, 08:46 PM
There's only one good song left...

Ah, Margot Chapman: what a stunner.

invstbiker
04-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Sirius Satellite-The vault #6016 on DISH

Steve K
04-17-2006, 01:07 AM
Great recording all the way, from the first notes of Theme from Pink Panther to Stevie Wonder playing a bluesy harmonica on Moon River. This album commemorates Henry Mancini's 80th birthday by newly recorded versions of his greatest masterpieces.:)

Titanium Dome
04-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Machine Says Yes :applaud:

Not if you don't like electronic/dance.

northwood
04-18-2006, 01:34 PM
01.Sound Of The West
02.William Tell Overture - Gioacchino Rossini
03.Magnificent Seven - Elmer Bernstein
04.The Furies Suite - Franz Waxman
05.Anthology Of TV Western Themes - Christopher Palmer
06.How The West Was Won - Alfred Newman
07.Gunfight At The OK Corral - Dimitri Tiomkin
08.Pops Hoedown - Richard Hayman
09.Big Country - Jerome Moross
10.High Noon - Dimitri Tiomkin
11.Coyote And Crackling Campfire
12.Western Medley - Richard Hayman
13.Themes From Silverado - Bruce Broughton:)

When I was in primary school I heard it.^_______^////

briang
04-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Depeche Mode

Playing the Angel

Reprise 49456-4

DVD-A

I'm a long time fan of the synth-pop pioneers...:)

The 24-bit 48kHz stereo recording is done quite well, however the Producer wanted a gritty "crunch" sound and uses quite a bit of distortion (analog and digital) to make his point. IMHO, all that distortion makes critical listening nearly impossible (some tracks are better than others in this respect).

The 24-bit 5.1 DTS rendering is well engineered and not over done like so many others are; but I still enjoy the 2 channel version better.

A good effort that I enjoy quite a bit, but you have to be synth-pop tolerant to "get it".;)

paragon
04-24-2006, 01:07 PM
"It`s so far away from me"
Dire Straits
Love this old Fender Strat.

On the radio now.:D

JuniorJBL
04-24-2006, 01:17 PM
"It`s so far away from me"
Dire Straits
Love this old Fender Strat.

On the radio now.:D

Brothers in Arms is a very good album :applaud:

briang
04-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Brothers in Arms is a very good album :applaud:

Amen to that!:applaud:

Ken Pachkowsky
04-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Morph the Cat is Donald Fagens latest. Was talking to a bud and he says its fantastic. I will pick it up over the next couple of days.

Ken

Titanium Dome
04-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Morph the Cat is Donald Fagens latest. Was talking to a bud and he says its fantastic. I will pick it up over the next couple of days.

Ken

:banghead: BO, this properly belongs in a What's Playing In The Future thread thereby violating this thread's premise. :banghead:

Ever since he moved north, Ken's been a little space-time continuum-y, while in the meantime I've become more of a jerk. :biting: Please move Ken and his comment into a future thread. :p

Just so I'm not out of order, I'm listening to Black Sun's Fat Buddha.

:wave: Howya doin' Ken?

northwood
04-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Disque 1 Disque 21The Girl From Ipanema1Dove2Dirty Love2Believe (Martin Solveig Vocal Dub)3Give Me Your Love3Shak' It4Funky Nassau4Living On The Front Line5The Cat5Miss Me6Tatoo Woman61er Gaou7Hot Pants7Fatmazeou8Hit The Road Jack8Ese Ritmo9Easy Tiger9Tropical Sound Clash10Tudo Bem10Work11Burns Like Fire11It Just Won't Do12Sous Le Soleil12Les Mille Et Une Nuits13Voltei Amor13La Bomba14The Light14The Ketchup Song15Peace15Playa De La Luna16Backfired16Shined On Me17Solid Ground17Panamerica 18Preach To Party

Ken Pachkowsky
04-24-2006, 05:59 PM
:banghead: BO, this properly belongs in a What's Playing In The Future thread thereby violating this thread's premise. :banghead:

Ever since he moved north, Ken's been a little space-time continuum-y, while in the meantime I've become more of a jerk. :biting: Please move Ken and his comment into a future thread. :p

Just so I'm not out of order, I'm listening to Black Sun's Fat Buddha.

:wave: Howya doin' Ken?

Fine bud...I knew something was morphing, trust you to pick up on it. Do you ever miss a thing?:D

Ken

boputnam
04-25-2006, 08:57 AM

Ever since he moved north, Ken's been a little space-time continuum-y, while in the meantime I've become more of a jerk. :biting: Please move Ken and his comment into a future thread. :p Good point, Doug - but it's already there.

You can't see it because you would need Future Permission to view it. Check with someone in the Future (where there are no banjos...).

;)

oznob
04-25-2006, 09:44 PM
The Fixx, "Red Skies." One of my favorite British New Wave bands!

briang
04-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Precipitated by suggestion here (JuniorJBL and paragon)...thanks guys!

Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms, DVD-A.

Wonderful, just wonderful!

05-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Wonderful, just wonderful!

Yep! Stevie Ray just morphed into Stevie Nicks on my station...:o:

speakerdave
05-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Copenhagen Concert, "God Bless the Child" (white label promo release)

indycraft
05-04-2006, 07:43 PM
The Rubberband Man

hapy._.face
05-04-2006, 07:45 PM
joshua redman elastic band
momentum

Mr. Widget
05-04-2006, 07:58 PM
The Plastic Ono Band?

Sorry... couldn't help myself.

Last night I played Simon and Garfunkle -"The Graduate" soundtrack
Followed by NIN "The Downward Spiral"
then chilled with Zero 7 "Simple Things"
which was followed by Hole "Live Through This"
then let my ears rest with a bit of Diana Krall "Live in Paris"
which was followed by "Garden State" soundtrack

I was all over the place... but my listening frequently is...

Widget

hapy._.face
05-04-2006, 08:06 PM
The Plastic Ono Band?

Sorry... couldn't help myself.

I knew someone would jump in with a 3rd. :D

Last night I played Simon and Garfunkle -"The Graduate" soundtrack
Followed by NIN "The Downward Spiral"
then chilled with Zero 7 "Simple Things"
which was followed by Hole "Live Through This"
then let my ears rest with a bit of Diana Krall "Live in Paris"
which was followed by "Garden State" soundtrack

I was all over the place... but my listening frequently is...

WOW! Quite a ride! :blink: cool...

Ken Pachkowsky
05-04-2006, 08:20 PM
I was all over the place...
Widget

Sounds like a pretty good evening...

Steve K
05-04-2006, 11:46 PM
The soundtrack from the documentary, Jazz Seen, the video biography of William Claxton, renowned jazz/music photographer. Any time you see a picture of the jazz giants, be it your favorite jazz album cover or a page in a magazine, the man behind the camera was probably him.
Great music, too.:applaud:

alskinner
05-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Sailing to Philadelphia

Outstanding, especially the title track with James Taylor.

Al

boputnam
05-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Archive.org Live Music Archive. (http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php)

It's just plain expansive.

Ducatista47
05-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Sun Ra, The Magic City. Heart, Dog And Butterfly to cool down my brain and the equipment. Bob Dylan, John Wesley Harding. All on old vinyl. Then Andy Sheppard, Learning To Wave.
To me, Sun Ra and the Arkestra composed and played the most advanced jazz to date. This album is a 1973 reissue of a 1960 recording, and it takes every bit of the 4345's to hear it all as intended. Personal opinion, the Arkestra was the best outfit, ever. Sends most people running for the exits, though.

Peace, Clark

whizzer
05-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Sun Ra, The Magic City. Heart, Dog And Butterfly to cool down my brain and the equipment. Bob Dylan, John Wesley Harding. All on old vinyl. Then Andy Sheppard, Learning To Wave.
To me, Sun Ra and the Arkestra composed and played the most advanced jazz to date. This album is a 1973 reissue of a 1960 recording, and it takes every bit of the 4345's to hear it all as intended. Personal opinion, the Arkestra was the best outfit, ever. Sends most people running for the exits, though.

Peace, Clark
In my own humble opinion, you're right about the Arkestra being the best jazz outfit ever; Don Ellis was way cool, too, but in an ever so different way. Unfortunately, you're also equally right about the stampede for the exits.

Ducatista47
05-17-2006, 11:49 PM
In my own humble opinion, you're right about the Arkestra being the best jazz outfit ever; Don Ellis was way cool, too, but in an ever so different way. Unfortunately, you're also equally right about the stampede for the exits.
Wow, a kindred spirit! We must be the guys who run toward the strange sounds.:) Any other Sun Ra/Arkestra or Don Ellis fans out there?

I found that repeated exposure to more challenging jazz was necessary for myself to finally "hear" the music. A whole new world then appears, and what a rewarding world it is. My friends who have never put in the time look like a deer in the headlights when my favorite music is on, so I take it off and simplify things. Same with Arnold Schoenberg, Jimmy Lyons, Sam Rivers and Maria Pia De Vito.

Did you ever see a TV movie called The Deadly Tower (1975) about "Texas Tower" Whitman? The soundtrack was so unusual and just plain awesome, I checked the credits and behold - Don Ellis. That was my first exposure to his work. A true loss that he passed away so young.

Clark in Peoria

whizzer
05-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Interestingly, Ellis pioneered the analog "loop delay" effect that became popular about a decade later in mainstream jazz as well as top-40 by building it himself, with the effects heard perhaps most prominently (later on) in "Electric Bath," and never anywhere else I know of with such musicality. It at least sounds like Miles Davis picked up on this in "Bitches Brew." If you Google Don Ellis, one thing that will come up is, of all things, a doctoral dissertation all about Ellis' innovations in time signatures.

paragon
05-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Yello with "Rubberbandmen" on my CD.
"One of these days" (Pink Floyd) at radio now.
:applaud:

JBLnsince1959
05-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Any other Sun Ra/Arkestra or Don Ellis fans out there?

BIG TIME YES!!!!!:D

Ducatista47
06-15-2006, 08:13 PM
BIG TIME YES!!!!!:D
I certainly get a lot of things from listening to Sun Ra and the Arkestra that are in scarce supply from listening to other music. I guess when you take a genius musician and bandleader, rehearse the outfit ten hours or more on most days, elicit such excitement and musical hunger in the members that they practice the rest of their waking hours because they want to, and compose music that only such a group could play well, you just might get a musicical experience without peer.:)

I have trouble describing the experience. I get too emotional when I try to express it in words. Assuming you met both Ellis and Ra, perhaps you could help me out here to explain why learning to listen to the Arkestra is such a worthwhile experience. Maybe Whizzer could help out here too.

I will say this. Sun ra and the Arkestra could play anything. From the Ward/Burns book Jazz: "...at his concerts in the 1980's, he typically combined impetuous blowouts with complex arrangements, visual spectacle, blues and tap dancing rhythms, a sermon, a Fletcher Henderson arrangement, and 'Hello Dolly!' " Wow. BTW, Sun Ra was one hell of a piano player.

Clark in Peoria

whizzer
06-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Perhaps those of us who find listening to Sun Ra so worthwhile an experience appreciate how the music he and his incredible Arkestra made expanded the bounds of music. What's startling is that the sounds he used to make music were not "electronic," per se, but did what sythesizers and such later sought to do, once they became available. He obviously thought "outside the box," to use one of today's catch-phrases. Things the Arkestra did maybe once have since become whole genres in their own right. For instance, "A House of Beauty," on side two of "The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra, Volume 2," which was recorded in late 1965 and hit the stands in '66 (just think about what was on the radio that year) anticipated the whole "New Age" thing that has since garnered its own section in music stores--but without descending into the syrupy vapidity that characterizes so much of it. He and his music appeal to those receptive to it in a musical way in the manner that science fiction appeals in a literary way--it requires us to put aside preconceptions and think in terms of "what if?"

nrwjbl
06-16-2006, 12:21 PM
some music from my collection:

Ryuichi Sakamoto: Heartbeat
Sampler: Three Blind Mice Vol. 1
Sampler: The Soul of Cape Verde

my favourites:
1. CD - The Anandha Shankar Experience (1999) - track 2-6-11
2. LP - Ananda Shankar and his Music 1976 - Vinyl - I bought in South India long before "Bollywood" - fantastic music of a gifted musician who died too early -

John D. Loudermilk: Blue train
Byron Lee and the Dragonaires: Play dynamite Ska

enjoy the music .....

whizzer
06-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Was this guy related in any way to Ravi?

boputnam
06-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Was this guy related in any way to Ravi?He was his nephew. I guess in their faith, "is"... :)

whizzer
06-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks, bobputnam--I'm going to have to acquire some of his stuff--it sounds, from the liner notes thoughtfully provided above, like it would be right up my alley. The Anandha Shankar Experience--I wonder if that likeness to The Jimi Hendrix Experience is merely coincidental or what.

Rusnzha
06-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally written by whizzer

Perhaps those of us who find listening to Sun Ra so worthwhile an experience appreciate how the music he and his incredible Arkestra made expanded the bounds of music. What's startling is that the sounds he used to make music were not "electronic," per se, but did what sythesizers and such later sought to do, once they became available. He obviously thought "outside the box," to use one of today's catch-phrases. Things the Arkestra did maybe once have since become whole genres in their own right. For instance, "A House of Beauty," on side two of "The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra, Volume 2," which was recorded in late 1965 and hit the stands in '66 (just think about what was on the radio that year) anticipated the whole "New Age" thing that has since garnered its own section in music stores--but without descending into the syrupy vapidity that characterizes so much of it. He and his music appeal to those receptive to it in a musical way in the manner that science fiction appeals in a literary way--it requires us to put aside preconceptions and think in terms of "what if?"

Some time ago, I saw a documentry on TV about the Sun Ra Arkestra. It got my attention immediately and for the entire 2 hours, I even refrained from channel hopping which is rare for me. Even on the crappy TV speakers, I knew I was hearing something remarkable. Some of the music grabbed me immediately and some of it, I believed required more listening or listening under better circumstances. I grabbed one of the CDs from the 60s and I liked parts of it, but probably due to my own shortcomings, I found it to be inconsistant. Maybe, someone can suggest a CD for someone one who is curious, but hasn't quite gotten it.

johnaec
06-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Back in the 80's I had a Sun Ra cassette tape that I absolutely loved, but can't remember the title. It was later stolen from my car, (along with a great selection of other albums...).

John

Ducatista47
06-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Some time ago, I saw a documentry on TV about the Sun Ra Arkestra. It got my attention immediately and for the entire 2 hours, I even refrained from channel hopping which is rare for me... Maybe, someone can suggest a CD for someone one who is curious, but hasn't quite gotten it.
Firstly, I wish I'd seen that! Any idea what network it was on?

The Arkestra had (and is having) a long evolution and changed the style of many compositions in performance as time went on. You might love an earlier recording of a piece and find a later performance incomprehensible. Sun Ra was responsible for as many musical innovations as Les Paul has been for technical and recording ones. For what it's worth, I had to expose my ears to a lot of free jazz for months and months before I had the "Eureka!" moment. Suddenly, I got it. Suddenly, I could hear it. I guess I'm a slow learner.;) Now I actually listen to heavy jazz to relax and wind down, because it makes me so happy.

One very early album before the "wilder" free jazz period is called Jazz In Silhouette (Evidence 22012 - I got it recently at Barnes & Noble no less!). The liner notes are good and it does make a great introduction. I listen to it all the time. Late at night, lights out, I put this on and punch track 4 - "Ancient Aiethopia." If I don't have time to listen to anything else, I am still satisfied. I've had my fix.

Some useful web sites:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Ra
http://www.thesunraarkestra.com/
http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/ (http://www.dpo.uab.edu/%7Emoudry/)
The links at the first entry will get you where you want to go, but I have included two for convenience.

You will find that Arkestra recordings were almost beyond number, but Saturn disks were not widely distributed, and were often not very hi-fi. Evidence records and others have done an amazing job of cleaning them up. Sun Ra was probably the first to record and distribute his own music, but that meant pressings of 75 vinyl copies for sale at performances.

John, the discography links might ring a bell with the title you "donated" to the criminal element.
http://www.astroblack.com/ Chronological and Alphabetical lists are available. A shorter list is in the Wikipedia article.

Enjoy, Clark

PS The inconsistent element was partially due to the Arkestra playing so many styles of music at the same gig or recording session. I imagine not many people would enjoy everything at a performance. The few sermons I've heard were fun, though. I need to get his book.

Rusnzha
06-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Clark, thanks for the info, this is something I've wanted to do.

My best guess about the Sun Ra TV thing is that it was on PBS. It has been quite a while since I saw this, but one of the reasons I didn't channel hop is that there probably weren't any commercials. Good luck catching up with it, it was very good.

Ducatista47
08-15-2006, 10:35 PM
I have a fifties mono vinyl, but these are the BMG 1992 CD reissues Victory At Sea and More Victory At Sea.

These would appeal to symphonic and soundtrack listeners. Victory At Sea was a 1952-1953 documentary series; some say the best tv documentary ever. It involves the United States and other Allied Navy and Merchant Marine operations in the Pacific, Atlantic and Mediteranean in WWII. Television was very new and was trying to come up with programming besides wrestling and comedy. Boy, did they uncork one. They tapped Richard Rogers (of Rogers and Hammerstein and Rogers and Hart) to compose the score, and he phenomenally overachieved the intentions and expectations of the project. Robert Russell Bennett arranged the score and conducted the RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra. The result is stirring, sad, spooky and entertaining.

While the music stands alone and should be enjoyed from the recordings, I admit my appreciation of the music must be colored by the impact the documentary has had on me. It is a childhood memory as surely as Science Fiction Theater is. I watched it in reruns through the years and was more impressed with each viewing. Now, after a long drought, it is on DVD in dump bins for three (ShopKo) to six (WalMart) dollars. The entire series. It is a unique presentation, the script, editing, naration and music designed not so much to educate as to stir the soul. The Navy and Marine Corps band still plays Victory at Sea, I am told. I know art must stand on it's own, but familiarity with the series will greatly enhance the impact of the music, giving it context beyond entertainment. I'm a tough old bird, but I tear up when I hear or see this. It is not about celebration, it is about sacrifice and suffering in the cause of freedom for those at home. And it comes across in the music.

Clark in Peoria

Steve Schell
08-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi Clark in Peoria,

They must have sold a jillion of the Victory at Sea soundtrack LPs, as I have encountered them frequently in my thrift shop raids. I have never seen the series, but will certainly look for the DVDs based on your comments.

Your impassioned and knowledgeable reviews just knock me out. Have you considered writing as a profession?

Ducatista47
08-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi Clark in Peoria,

Your impassioned and knowledgeable reviews just knock me out. Have you considered writing as a profession?
Thank you, Steve, that is really something coming from you. The sad truth is that I can only write about what I am impassioned about. Writing as a profession involves sitting at the keyboard and pounding out work whether the task at hand sets you on fire or not. I enjoy posting here because, unlike my family and friends, the members are not all bored by my musings. Just most of them! At least the rest of the members can save on sleeping pills when I post.:D

Thank you so very much, Clark

johnaec
08-16-2006, 07:01 AM
The Victory at Sea series used to be shown regularly on the Discovery channel but I haven't noticed it in a couple years. It's more lkely to show up on the History or Military channels now. I, too, always enjoyed watching them, but at the time, was not aware of the significance of the soundtrack music.

John

Bob Womack
08-16-2006, 08:36 AM
I grew up with my dads copy of Victory on vinyl and loved it. When Telarc released their Victory at Sea by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops, I snatched it up like hotcakes, because it also contained marches and other music from several other war movies. I REALLY wanted a copy of Goodwin's end theme from The Battle of Britain, and got it (though mis-labled as the main theme) and others on this disk, including Goldsmith's Patton and MacAurthur main themes (though truncated into a suite).

To add to that, I think this was the first product where Telarc abandoned some of its "straight wire" recording philosophy and created one with a less boxy sound, probably using classic mics or a pinch of EQ. Marvy.

Bob

Ducatista47
08-16-2006, 07:58 PM
I should have mentioned that you will never forget the voice of narrator Leonard Graves.

It is so nice to see this great work appreciated here. There are some comments and reviews on IMDB here:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046658/

Here is a website devoted to the series: http://victoryatseaonline.com/

Clark

Bob Womack
08-17-2006, 05:25 AM
WHAT'S ON?

Right now, I'm listening to the first print of a new album a friend executive produced. About two months ago, he dropped by the studio here and asked me to lend an ear to the final mixes of this product and give him suggestions. He gave me about three days before he was to jump on a plane to Abbey Road studios to have the album mastered. I soaked in the album, which needed some TLC, and gave him my suggestions the night before he left.

To my amazement, he took all my suggestions to heart. The mastering engineer at Abbey Road did a marvelous job, taking care of some overbearing midrange and eliminating the classic artifacts of a mix done on Yamaha NS-10ms. The result it is an album that is both very pretty and a treat to the ears. After the usual wrangling with art and fabrication, I got one of the first copies off the end of the production line.

The album is pop/concept/art rock/world, a kind of tour-de-force with various styles meant to showcase the very appealling voice capabilities of a young lady who lives in Bankok, Thailand. She's a multi-national (Italian and Indonesian) who was born in Italy and has traveled the world. She's fluent in about six languages. The album is mostly in English but she has since re-recorded many of the songs in Spanish and one of the re-recordings is offered as a bonus track on the album. The album might be considered pop, except for the fact that the executive producer is English, and spent his twenties rubbing elbows with many pop stars of the British art-rock genre. The complexity of his background informs and expands the arrangements and production of the work.

The result is pretty exciting and right now he's finishing the distribution agreements. Hopefully we'll see it in stores soon.

Bob

Zilch
08-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Dave Grusin, I get.

Particia Barber, I get.

Larry Carlton, I get.

Sun Ra, I don't get.

[SOUNDS good here, tho.... ;) ]

Titanium Dome
08-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Went to the Howard Hughes Center today, stopped in at Borders and (with a Borders card) grabbed axis:bold as love and Electric Ladyland in the Experience Hendrix remasters for $22 for the pair.

So tonight is Hendrix night in the dungeon.

"And so castles made of sand fall in the sea, eventually..."

mbask
08-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Pink Floyd : Animals, Wish you were here. Back to back:)

Hey Titanium....Who did the remastering on those Hendrix CDs?...was it Kramer?

Oh yea..
JBL Urei 6260
JBL 4412s

I could of swore Waters just tripped over my big toe:D

Rusnzha
08-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally written by mbask

:cheers:

Definitely some of their best stuff!

mbask
08-27-2006, 03:14 AM
Well my girlfriend denies anything past the "Sid" years
But I haven't yet goten over the Gilmore/ Waters colaboeration...
I just love those albums in the 70s:applaud:

bigstereo
08-27-2006, 04:05 AM

Those are my favorites!:rockon2:

RJ

jblnut
08-27-2006, 05:21 AM
Since we're in a Floyd mood, I should mention the (very) long awaited release of Pulse on DVD has finally come to pass. I just got mine yesterday and am counting down the minutes until the house is empty enough for me to re-create the proper concert environment :) .
I'm disappointed they didn't do a proper DTS audio mix but I'll reserve any more comments until I've heard how the DD sound came out. It does span two DVDs and claims to have some extras.

In case anyone else needs a quick fix, here it is:

http://product.half.ebay.com/Pink-Floyd-Pulse_W0QQprZ49243883QQtgZinfo

Now, how about getting Delicate Sound of Thunder out eh ??? It's arguably the better of the two since it was done on film and not video.
The backup singers also get my vote in a head-to-head Great Big Gig battle of the bands...

jblnut

Gordzilla
08-27-2006, 07:55 AM
i have been enjoying the sweet sounds of 60's R&B female singers...

right now, it's Candi Staton that's rocking my world.

Living Room: JBL Alphas, MAC 1700, Sony PSX-70
Bedroom: Dueling Bedspring

Titanium Dome
08-27-2006, 08:44 AM
(snip)

Hey Titanium....Who did the remastering on those Hendrix CDs?...was it Kramer?

(snip)

Yes, Eddie Kramer and John McDermott:

With the help of Jimi 's step-sister Janie, Al set up Experience Hendrix to begin to get Jimi 's legacy in order. They began by hiring John McDermott and Jimi 's original engineer, Eddie Kramer to oversee the remastering process. They were able to find all the original master tapes, which had never been used for previous CD releases, and in April of 1997, Hendrix 's first three albums were reissued with drastically improved sound. Accompanying those reissues was a posthumous compilation album (based on Jimi 's handwritten track listings) called First Rays of the New Rising Sun, made up of tracks from the Cry of Love, Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes.

This quote comes from a page on Jimi where you can read more:

http://www.myguitarsolo.com/Players/JimiHendrix.htm

johnaec
08-27-2006, 09:14 AM
A friend of mine just gave me a 4" stack of CD's recorded from the board at Little Feat concerts over the last couple years. Obviously, some junk here and there, but some real gems too!

John

jim campbell
08-27-2006, 12:29 PM
let me know if you are interested in sharing some of those gems with a huge little feat fan (atic)

johnaec
08-27-2006, 12:52 PM
let me know if you are interested in sharing some of those gems with a huge little feat fan (atic)Will do. I'm going through them and marking the best ones. It'll be a while, though - ('lot of CD's!).

John

Ducatista47
08-27-2006, 01:23 PM
A late post here about the Floyd. I saw them in a club (Aragon Ballroom) in 1969 or so and it was memorable. I do like David's playing over Syd's, but Syd's writing over Roger's. I may like More the best, even though it is post Syd. It's a soundtrack LP, their last release before Ummagumma. A great deal of beautiful bluster and noise, I still love it. Not much art rock pretention. That happened as soon as Roger appointed himself God, for better or for worse. See More here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002UA4/104-1389203-0491964?v=glance&n=5174

David plays beautifully on "Pink and Velvet," last cut on Berlin's Count Three & Pray. Down to three members, the group employed guest guitarists throughout. They don't say who played on what, but you can tell Elliot Easton from Ted Nugent from David Gilmour, no problem!

Clark in Peoria

bigstereo
08-28-2006, 04:34 AM
Since we're in a Floyd mood, I should mention the (very) long awaited release of Pulse on DVD has finally come to pass. I just got mine yesterday and am counting down the minutes until the house is empty enough for me to re-create the proper concert environment :) .
I'm disappointed they didn't do a proper DTS audio mix but I'll reserve any more comments until I've heard how the DD sound came out. It does span two DVDs and claims to have some extras.

jblnut, on your recommendation, I ordered Pulse from Netflix this morning. It should be in my mailbox tommorrow morning, and in my burner shortly thereafter.:D

RJ

Titanium Dome
08-28-2006, 07:10 AM
(snip) in my burner shortly thereafter.:D

This is common practice these days, even among many upstanding members here. I hate to see it so gladly reported, though. A few of us old goats still think it's wrong, or perhaps I'm the only stick-in-the-mud.

bigstereo
08-28-2006, 07:24 AM
This is common practice these days, even among many upstanding members here. I hate to see it so gladly reported, though. A few of us old goats still think it's wrong, or perhaps I'm the only stick-in-the-mud.

Dome,
Have'nt you ever taped anything off the TV onto VHS? Sports, Movie off of HBO? Or anything of that sort? Besides it's been paid for. I'm sure Netflix bought at least a few thousand copies. Plus, I'm paying for my subscription. And it's not like I'm selling or handing them out to everyone I know. Personal use only.

RJ

Ken Pachkowsky
08-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Since we're in a Floyd mood, I should mention the (very) long awaited release of Pulse on DVD has finally come to pass.

jblnut

My wife and I were lucky enough to see this concert live. We managed to get 12th row center seats. The show was fantastic to say the least.

Ken

Titanium Dome
08-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Dome,
Have'nt you ever taped anything off the TV onto VHS? Sports, Movie off of HBO? Or anything of that sort? Besides it's been paid for. I'm sure Netflix bought at least a few thousand copies. Plus, I'm paying for my subscription. And it's not like I'm selling or handing them out to everyone I know. Personal use only.

RJ

I know. The Supreme Court was pretty clear on personal use of publicly broadcast material, and on making copies of material we purchase ourselves. We're on safe ground there.

Things aren't so clear when it comes to copying things that were purchased by others. Paying a rental fee is just that, paying a rental fee. It's not purchasing a product outright for personal use.

Well, let's not get bogged down in the discussion. Sorry I took things off thread.

08-28-2006, 11:36 AM
My wife and I were lucky enough to see this concert live. We managed to get 12th row center seats. The show was fantastic to say the least.

Ken

when she was "only" 78... :p (She's been a Floyd fan from DSM on.)

Didn't get 12th row though, still it was great! My sister was visiting last week, turns out she's a Floyd-nut too! Said Comfortably Numb is the best song she's ever heard!
Naturally I popped the LD into the player and gave her a taste of it live. So when are Floyd gonna tour again? Now I need to take Mom AND Sis!

Hope it's soon, Mom is 86 now, but still up for Floyd! Sis said she's taking Mom back to Hawaii, cause she did not get a chance to take the helicopter tour last time...:blink:

Titanium Dome
09-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Have any of you heard the DSOTM DVD-A made from the Quad Alan Parsons tapes? There's an extensive discussion over at AVS that's been running for some time, but apparently it's some kind of semi-legal/gray area/bootleg/unreleased product.

If you've heard it, maybe a PM to me is in order.

Note: I am not inquiring about nor am I confusing this with the common SACD version. ;)

Titanium Dome
09-04-2006, 02:25 PM
No, I'm not playing Bill Withers right now.

I'm listening to a totally different song, Lean On Me (Solarstone's Afterhours Remix) – Sounds From The Ground. This 8+ minute track is what got me thinking about the DSOTM and prompted my query above.

NO it does not sound like Pink Floyd, though it does sound like something Parsons could have mixed in an Electronic genre mood.

To really test your patience, I'm streaming it wirelessly via AirTunes using iTunes from my PowerBook as I'm surfing, and I'm processing it via Dolby ProLogic IIx-M into 7.1 surround. And it's tougher than... and totally immersive.

Now I'm on to Intensify (Blind Faith Remix) – Way Out West. Mesmerizing.

Jim Fosgate is a certifiable genius and this music is so great working through his PLIIx-M algorithms and these perfectly balanced, identical JBL Performance Series speakers.

You guys that don't dig electronica, dance, and trance: come into the 21st Century! You'll love it here.

http://www.soundsfromtheground.com

Ducatista47
09-07-2006, 09:41 PM
All The Rage, Mandolin Ensemble Music from 1897-1924. By the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble.

My grandmother, born in 1892, used to play in a similar outfit as a young woman. My sister was kind enough to send me this modern recording. It is very hi-fi and the 4345's are pleased. Extreme dynamics and bass extension at no extra charge.

Clark in Peoria

morbo!
09-08-2006, 01:16 AM
can u flac and torrent that?
always loved the sound of the mandolin

can i start a cool flac torrents thread?

Steve Schell
09-08-2006, 02:07 AM
Chris Thile is an insanely good mandolin player, the best I've ever seen, and he is still a young guy. His dad preceded me as the piano technician at a boarding school for the performing arts in CA until he moved his family to Nashville a decade ago to further his son's career. I saw Chris on a special on PBS recently and now I know why... he's phenomenal! Take a listen to a couple of the music samples here:

http://www.sugarhillrecords.com/catalog/pagemaker.cgi?3931