PDA

View Full Version : What's Playing Now

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44

Fritz The Cat
09-28-2019, 01:30 AM
A quiet bucolic one. An acoustic island in these stormy times.

Odd
09-29-2019, 01:58 PM
Ole Børud

Spotify
(https://open.spotify.com/artist/7saBzqUvDSqREDUUWkl0rO)

SEAWOLF97
10-21-2019, 10:55 AM
I bumped into this today .... strange , but not too bad. :blink:

Blondie vs. The Doors ‎– Rapture Riders (2005)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiQ1O8vFITM&fbclid=IwAR1LeV7gON1ht9PANSl2clsTuCcKrOBTUe1ITUia_ w7Em0yCc9npwHc_xVo

Kay Pirinha
10-23-2019, 04:34 AM
Does anybody else see Ray Manzarek and Jim Morrison literally spin in their graves due to these Rape Riders? :blink::blink::blink:

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
10-23-2019, 09:45 AM
Does anybody else see Ray Manzarek and Jim Morrison literally spin in their graves due to these Rape Riders? :blink::blink::blink:

Best regards!

Roll over , Beethoven :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MFbn8EbB4k

A little Beethoven joke :

What is he doing right now?
Decomposing.

Kay Pirinha
10-23-2019, 11:35 AM
Yes, that's even worse :blink:!

About LvB: Most probably he has finished his decomposition a very long time ago :D.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
10-30-2019, 09:22 AM
The "Rolling Beatles" are here. What would happen, if the Beatles were writing the song material and The Rolling Stones were performing it? The Inmates play like there's no tomorrow. Rotzfrech!

merlin
11-03-2019, 06:03 AM
Please forgive me. I live in the UK and tried so many domestically designed options with a huge level of advice from those on this forum and others.

I then managed to find a pair of Greg's finest works IMO - the 9800's.

A couple of years after I got them I suffered a brain injury.

The k29800 Keep me alive. That is no exaggeration. They make me Cry, The they make me laugh. As music should.

They are special and if it wasn't for this place I would have understood how special or bought them.

So thanks to all of you - from the UK. And thanks to Greg.

SEAWOLF97
11-05-2019, 12:57 PM
60's/70's Stones, Iron Butterfly, Doors type of guy, but last couple of years
started appreciating Patsy. Picked this LP up the other day .... sure, it's not
going to be a daily listener , but is a nice change of pace. ;)

Fritz The Cat
11-06-2019, 01:03 AM
Fine vocals and guitars produced by Daniel Lanois. Atmospheric sounds on 45rpm. "Cruel World" by Willie Nelson B3 and Josh Homme D3.

LRBacon
11-07-2019, 10:48 AM

Tom, I enjoy Patsy's popular tunes, too. Some of her tunes are in my favorites playlist.

Larry

Fritz The Cat
11-08-2019, 01:32 AM

(This is the only vinyl LP of Patsy Cline i own). These tracks were recorded by Owen Bradley at Bradley's Barn in 1960/61, sugarcoated by an overdose (?) of violins. Reggie Young, guitars.
On March 5, 1963, after a benefit concert in Kansas City, Patsy Cline (born 1932) flew back to Nashville along with Opry Stars Cowboy Copus & Hawkshaw Hawkins and mananger/pilot Randy Hughes. They never made it home...

Fritz The Cat
11-08-2019, 02:30 AM
Jessica Lange is Patsy Cline. Original motion picture soundtrack about the life and times of Patsy Cline. "Featuring the timeless music and original vocals of the legendary Patsy Cline." Inner sleeve with musicians and recording credits. Listen to Willie Nelsons "Crazy", which was recorded August 21, 1961 at Bradley Studio, Nashville. No sugarcoating violins (with the exception of "Sweet dreams" B6). Floyd Cramer, piano.

SEAWOLF97
11-08-2019, 07:20 AM
Jessica Lange is Patsy Cline. Original motion picture soundtrack about the life and times of Patsy Cline. "Featuring the timeless music and original vocals of the legendary Patsy Cline.".

yes, Fritz .... I enjoyed that movie also. Saw Jessica recently in an interview, still an attractive Lady. I'm 11 days older, but she is better preserved. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Txeh7pl1JU

Fritz The Cat
12-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Where is SpeakerLabFan? After so many years: no more posts since months!???

Fritz The Cat
12-23-2019, 01:00 AM
Live at Harlem Square Club, Jan 12, 1963 plus King Curtis Band plus The Checkers. Vocal prototype for Rod the Mod. As shown in advertisement: Teenage matinee, admission 1.50 Dollars, well chaperoned. Everybody welcome...

Fritz The Cat
12-23-2019, 02:06 AM
Reissue. Funk-Rock-Soul-Latin-Jazz. Listen to the fantastic "Lord of the golden baboon" B2. One of the best funk sounds ever. Forgotten gem?

Fritz The Cat
12-23-2019, 07:51 AM
Listen to "His good time band" B1, a tribute to an exemplary musician who just didn't care to compete commercially, but was content enough to play his music solely for the love of it, surely spoke for Siegel-Schwall... (Wikipedia)

qassio
12-25-2019, 04:29 AM
Just wondering if you guys will post some great recordings youve heard here. Try " Lilly Was Here " by David Stewart. Movie sountrack. Its all here highs, lows, front to back, side to side And out to the street deep. Jazzy

Thank you for suggestion! Loved "Lilly Was Here", added to my playlist even on youtube. Meanwhile was checking these (https://tranio.com/thailand/phuket/apartments) flats for sale in phuket Thailand and now when I have routing work to do I will play this song.

Fritz The Cat
01-01-2020, 01:17 AM
Harvey Mandel guitar, Mike Bloomfield guitar and vocals plus Eddie Hoh, drums. Best company on the way into the New Year by these wonderful performances. Happy New Year to everybody in this forum. Best wishes for good health to you from Switzerland!

Fritz The Cat
01-19-2020, 01:11 AM
Totally weird one. Some kind of Alice Cooper crazyness. Produced by John Cale. Guitars by Chris Spedding and Ollie Halsall

Fritz The Cat
02-03-2020, 01:56 AM
Zing! Went the strings of my heart: found last week in the "Brockenhaus" for SFr. 4.90.
Tal Farlow, guitars. Charles Mingus, bass. Recorded 1950/51 in Los Angeles and Chicago. The fascination of Jazz music lies (among others) in the various combinations of musicians.

SEAWOLF97
02-06-2020, 02:48 PM
I just put up iTunes and let it run on shuffle ... it came up with

Lightnin' Hopkins ‎– The Complete Prestige / Bluesville Recordings

did not realize that I even had this ... but it sure is fine. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Prestige-Bluesville-Recordings/dp/B000000ZC4

RMC
02-06-2020, 11:50 PM
Mentioned in a previous post I might post these LP's from the sixties.

Certainly not "what's playing now", nor tomorrow, but I've had these records for a long time, from my father, kept them for no particular reason. Once in a while use as test record.

Ballroom type music, not my style, they seem to be part of a series.

They're in good shape and very well made: thick vinyl, very low noise.

Don't know much about them, the writing is in German which I can't read. However, on the last pic just above the musicians' photo its indicated Manufactured by Deutsche Grammophon, Hamburg, whose reputation I know from having some classical music from that label.

Maybe German members or others here know more about these. Regards,

Richard

Kay Pirinha
02-07-2020, 02:04 AM
Yes, Hans aka James Last (1929 - 2015) released tons of quite boring dance, party and elevator music throughout the Sixties to Eighties. Definitely not my style, too. His labels Deutsche Grammophon and Polydor were amongt the highest quality labels (recording-wise and sound-wise) here in Germany. Deutsche Grammophon released and still releases superb sounding classical music.

OTOH, Last was producer of the following, quite remarkable psychedelic thang from 1968:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjowaMDrbjI

Note Les Humphries on organ, yet to become another successful (but boring and annoying) musician in Germany.

Best regards!

RMC
02-07-2020, 01:12 PM
Hi Kay,

Thanks a lot for your insight.

Yes "quite boring dance, party and elevator music", lol

RE "Deutsche Grammophon and Polydor were amongt the highest quality labels (recording-wise and sound-wise)"

That sure appears to be exact. Though that music isn't my cup of tea, I'm amazed at the quality pressings and sound of these from the 60's! I have many popular and rock albums from the 70's (US, Canada, British groups) and they sure don't match that low noise and German quality from a decade earlier! I guess the Germans had it while others didn't...

So, Hans had a great label for his not so great music... Best Regards,

Richard

Kay Pirinha
02-07-2020, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure whether Polydor was a subsidiary of Deutsche Grammophon or vice versa :dont-know:. At least they shared common pressing plants.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
02-07-2020, 01:59 PM
Yes, Hans aka James Last (1929 - 2015) released tons of quite boring dance, party and elevator music throughout the Sixties to Eighties. Definitely not my style, too. His labels Deutsche Grammophon and Polydor were amongt the highest quality labels (recording-wise and sound-wise) here in Germany. Deutsche Grammophon released and still releases superb sounding classical music.

OTOH, Last was producer of the following, quite remarkable psychedelic thang from 1968:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjowaMDrbjI

Note Les Humphries on organ, yet to become another successful (but boring and annoying) musician in Germany.

Best regards!

Agreed, an absolute lowlight of German culture. But also nearly every average Swiss family bought those dumb James Last albums in the 70ies! Also the Lps of The Les Humphries Singers. But there was and still is much lightweight music in Germany, especially many productions of "Schlager" music. In Switzerland's second hand shops there are thousands of these dumb records: non-sellers, but (as you noticed) mostly in mint quality! Sheer waste of vinyl.
This one is a well kept secret: the only album of James Last you might accept, because of these famous musicians: Larry Carlton, Dean Parks, Jim Gordon. Recorded at Record Plant Los Angeles.

Fritz The Cat
02-07-2020, 02:06 PM
I'm not sure whether Polydor was a subsidiary of Deutsche Grammophon or vice versa :dont-know:. At least they shared common pressing plants.

Best regards!

Look here, because it is very interesting: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydor
Schönen Abend noch!

Kay Pirinha
02-07-2020, 02:34 PM
Ok, thank you, Fritz! I was right in my first assumption. Polydor was a subsidiary of Deutsche Grammophon, and their comon record plant was in Berlin-Tempelhof, see here (https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydor_Records).

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
02-07-2020, 02:47 PM
Agreed, an absolute lowlight of German culture.

I always thought this was ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3q8Od5qJio

Kay Pirinha
02-07-2020, 03:02 PM
There are quite some cultural lowlights here in Germanistan :blink:! Anyhow, as almost anywhere, I think.

Best regrárds!

Fritz The Cat
02-23-2020, 01:26 AM
Something unspectacular and sober for this Sunday morning. Produced and engineered by Glyn Johns. John Mumford, tr. Jimmy Jewell, sax. Nicky Hopkins, keyboard. Listen to "Friends of mine" B3.

scootersage
03-08-2020, 06:18 AM
The other Dead album.
hmm why is it sideways.

Fritz The Cat
03-21-2020, 02:01 AM
A wonderful a cappella rendition of the Crystals' classic, bolstered only by hand claps, brings a lightness and energy to this record: "Da Doo Ron Ron" A4. A fine one. Guitars on the other tracks by Tim Renwick and Andy Roberts. Accordion by Woolfe J. Flywheel. Who? It's Richard Thompson.

Fritz The Cat
03-27-2020, 01:14 AM
Listen to "The song my lady sings" B2. Joe Zawinul, p.
Zawinuls long solo (over 4 minutes) stands alone here as one of the memorable piano statements in contemporary jazz (cit: back cover liner notes by John Tynan)

Fritz The Cat
03-27-2020, 03:18 AM
Listen to "Sailing shoes" B2 and "Riverboat" B3: Big wheel just a keep on turning...
Liner notes on inner sleeve by VDP: "To find out if a record company is playing cricket, you may find it's address on the record, write to the corporation in question, and solicit information on its profits, expenses and declared company policy. If a recording is meritorious musically, and still does not pay artists and composers in a fair fashion, you may then boycott sales of any particular record, tropically topical."
Good reissue 1986. This one is a little forgotten (?) gem.

Fritz The Cat
03-29-2020, 02:22 AM
Covid19-crisis all over the world. The painting by Edward Hopper stands for the "lockdown" and "social distancing". Also Switzerland now has to accept these 2 new anglicisms.

Fritz The Cat
04-02-2020, 03:28 AM
"Would you buy a second-hand car from one of these guys?" (notice on front and back cover). Fantastic live recordings from this Dutch 3 musicians band. Great guitar playing by versatile German guitar hero Carl Carton.

Fritz The Cat
04-09-2020, 11:49 PM
Ella jams with Tommy Flanagan p, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis sax, Louie Bellson dr, Clark Terry trp, Zoot Sims sax, Joe Pass g, Ray Brown b, and "Sweets" Harry Edison trp. Why "Lockjaw"? Why "Sweets"? Anybody can explain?

Fritz The Cat
04-12-2020, 01:34 AM
Happy Easter and good wishes for good health to everybody everywhere.

Fritz The Cat
04-14-2020, 01:45 AM
Different cover art as for the European pressings. Was the picture "The downfall of Icarus" by Claude Genisson not suitable for commercial success on USA music market? Prod: Paul Samwell-Smith. Engineer Andy Johns at Olympic Sound Studios, London. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?2724-What-s-Playing-Now&p=396460&viewfull=1#post396460
PS: where is "Speaker Lab Fan"?

Fritz The Cat
04-14-2020, 02:21 AM
Anything goes? Ron goes "Fahrstuhlmusik". Muzak.

Kay Pirinha
04-14-2020, 02:37 AM
Hey! Lady Sodom Rahmanah! What a stunning debut from 1969, a year that really wasn't lacking of musical gems in general and great debuts in particular. My copy is the European Downfall one (Island 87609 ET).

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-14-2020, 10:51 PM
Hey! Lady Sodom Rahmanah! ??????????

Fritz The Cat
04-15-2020, 12:21 AM
A difficult one. Yes, it's probably some kind of Jazz, but the direction of this musical trip is unclear. Dauner, Gomez and Elvin Jones also have lost their direction. Da kommt keine Freude auf!

Kay Pirinha
04-15-2020, 06:38 AM
Please listen closely to the beginning of Bullet, when the band starts singing ;)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mj4WSTfvc4

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-15-2020, 09:31 AM
This is really a great track, indeed. But, who is Lady Sodom Rahmanah? Do i have a deficit of knowledge?

Kay Pirinha
04-15-2020, 12:02 PM
Sorry, Fritz, I don't know either :o:. When listening to how these more than cryptic lyrics proceed, I have the suspicion, though, that the words were set just to sound good:

Black Mamba bamboo business on a red sun night
All the cry forgiveness for the last gunfight...

Or they were written with massive impact of several joints or something like that. Psychedelic music wasn't gone for too long in 1969...

Sadly, we can't ask Keith Relf anymore to explain, as he passed in 1976 by electrocution.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-15-2020, 10:28 PM
Sorry, Fritz, I don't know either :o:. When listening to how these more than cryptic lyrics proceed, I have the suspicion, though, that the words were set just to sound good:

Black Mamba bamboo business on a red sun night
All the cry forgiveness for the last gunfight...

Or they were written with massive impact of several joints or something like that. Psychedelic music wasn't gone for too long in 1969...

Sadly, we can't ask Keith Relf anymore to explain, as he passed in 1976 by electrocution.

Best regards!

Psychedelic music wasn't gone for too long in 1969...: Yes, those words just sounded good. Procol Harum skipped the light fandango and turned cartwheels 'cross the floor. Just funny nonsense and a little touch of magic...

Kay Pirinha
04-16-2020, 02:35 AM
Or the band was hoping their words would be fantasies turning into truth, as they stated several times in track A1 ;).

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-20-2020, 10:37 AM
Since I got the Senn 6xx's hooked up to the Creek amp, been setting the dap to 1 hour "go to sleep" time and listening in bed.

I put it on shuffle and who know what I'll get :dont-know:

Last night it put up these 2 old faves. Had forgotten how good they are. ;)

Kay Pirinha
04-20-2020, 11:34 AM
Then Play On really is a great album! There are many versions, though. I deephartedly wish Fleetwood Mac had never done that ugly Nicks/Buckingham transition :(.

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-20-2020, 11:55 AM
Then Play On really is a great album! There are many versions, though. I deephartedly wish Fleetwood Mac had never done that ugly Nicks/Buckingham transition :(.

Best regards!

+1
strangely, I like the content & play order of the US release better. "Showbiz Blues" really shows off PG.

"Mona BJ" is also a very fine album , many gems on it too. :)
(tho I think the cover art sux)

Fritz The Cat
04-20-2020, 12:11 PM

Best regards!

Oh Well! Alles Gute aus der Schweiz! Fritz

Fritz The Cat
04-21-2020, 01:58 AM
This one was far away from the spirit of the "Oh well" era. But it has its hidden beautiful moments. You have to listen several times to these tracks to discover them. Dana Gillespie duet vocals on the wonderful song "Summer days and summer nights". Bob Weston g on tracks A2 and A5.

SEAWOLF97
04-21-2020, 07:55 AM
Danny Kirwan, Hello There Big Boy!, 1979, DJM Canada, 9238 22.

Looking at the track listings of TPO, I can see that the Green/Kirwan ones are the tracks that I enjoyed and the MFleetwood/McVie ones could be easily deleted and improve the whole album. (I wouldn't miss "Rattlesnake Shake" either)

Side one

1. "Coming Your Way" Kirwan 3:47
2. "Closing My Eyes" Green 4:50
3. "Fighting for Madge" Fleetwood 2:45
4. "When You Say" Kirwan 4:22
5. "Showbiz Blues" Green 3:50
6. "Underway" Green 2:51

Side two

1. "Although the Sun Is Shining" Kirwan 2:31
2. "Rattlesnake Shake" Green 3:32
3. "Searching for Madge" McVie 6:56
4. "My Dream" Kirwan 3:30
5. "Like Crying" Kirwan 2:21
6. "Before the Beginning" Green

Kay Pirinha
04-21-2020, 10:06 AM
Mine is a German re-issue from the Original Rock Classics series, MID 24011. I bought it as an university student in the end of the 1970ies.

The tracks list as follows:

A1 - Coming Your Way
A2 - Closing My Eyes
A3 - Show-Biz Blues
A4 - Underway
A5 - Oh Well
B1 - Although the Sun is Shining
B2 - Rattlesnake Shake
B3 - Searching for Madge
B4 - Fighting for Madge
B5 - Like Crying
B6 - Before the Beginning

I love it :applaud:!

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-26-2020, 01:50 AM
Some fine tunes (Spencer), some are underperforming (Kirwan). Funny: Spencer is "The King" in "Blood on the floor" A3. Generally unspectacular for a 1970 LP, but rather underrated. Good UK reissue of unknown year.

Kay Pirinha
04-26-2020, 02:50 AM
Let's guess: Still waaaaay better than anything of that pop crap form the Buckingham/Nicks era, isn't it?

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-28-2020, 12:12 AM
Eine Hassliebe. Still a love-hate after so many years. The songs, compositions and interpretations are great. A prime-example for first class prog-rock. But for me, the vocals by Roger Chapman were double-edged, as i remember well the times when this LP was popular in the early 70ies: sometimes beauty, sometimes beast. After 50 years i slowly become accustomed to the croaking and bleating in his voice. Produced/engineered by Glyn Johns. Ric Grech: fantastic swinging violin and bass! Listen to Ric Grech's "Second Generation woman" B1. All killers, no fillers. This one has addiction potential. I still love it. I still hate it.

Kay Pirinha
04-28-2020, 03:09 AM
A1 - The Weaver's Answer. What a great song! Covered also by Jigsaw on their debut album, Letherslade Farm. What a pity that this band was to drop into blatant disco music soon after.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
05-02-2020, 01:03 AM
Late "Krautrock". Recorded in Tonstudio Zuckerfabrik, Stuttgart. Plentiful of glossily sugarcoating, but the appropriate one on this rainy "Lockdown"-Saturday morning.
What is YOUR definition of "Krautrock"??? Is there still produced new "Krautrock" today?

Kay Pirinha
05-02-2020, 03:58 AM
No, no more Kraut actually. Even in Germany the wide mass market prefers easy-to-listen, banal pop, and for the industry there's no need to go into challenging, high level productions.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
05-04-2020, 02:00 AM
Low budget productions on German "Europa" label were legion in the 70ies. This is a rare one and often disregarded in the spare boxes of secondhand shops.
"The Automatic Blues Inc." is a pseudonym of the German Band "The Tonics" from Hamburg. Lead vocals by Jerry Blow alias Manfred Oberdörffer. Oberdörffer later was a "Schlagersänger". Fantastic guitar solos. This is early "Krautrock" of astonishing caliber.

Fritz The Cat
05-05-2020, 12:40 AM
Pink Mice is Lucifer's Friend.
Europa-label-Mr. Miller was not a friend of the usual duties for the composers' rights. So he gathered all possible traditional songs he could get. Bach, Beethoven, Haydn and Grieg wouldn't mind...He was not a friend of the usual musicians' payment. So he gathered all possible amateur bands. They had to disown their identity for 50 Deutschmark a day. Most of the Europa-musicians (exception: Carsten Bohn alias Bert Brac, Bonda et al.) wouldn't mind. At least they took the golden chance to profit by professional studio conditions. This classic music influenced Krautrock LP had the same impact as Deep Purple's 1970 "Concerto for group and orchestra, before they took off in the right rock-direction. Great guitar work and wild improvisation by Peter Hesslein. Hesslein: one of the most multi-talented guitar players in Germany. Lucifer's Friend is not in hell, so roll over Beethoven, they still are going strong!

Fritz The Cat
05-05-2020, 11:43 PM
Enjoyable bluff package. "Generous" Mr. Miller made it possible in 1972. Fortunately there are only 5 versions of T.Rex songs on this low budget LP.
The John Hamilton band is "The Rattles" from Hamburg, Germany. 4 tracks were composed by bass player Herbert Hildebrandt-Winhauer, 3 tracks by Frumpy drummer Carsten Bohn alias "Bonda". Easy action by these versatile musicians for a few Deutschmark more.

Kay Pirinha
05-05-2020, 11:55 PM
Interesting! Is this really a hexagonal label, or just a hexagon printed on a circular one?

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
05-06-2020, 12:18 AM
Rather audacious: a double LP! Was this the first double LP in German vinyl music history? This album shows the transition phase from "Beatmusic" to psychedelic "Krautrock". We used to dance while listening to it in the early 70ies. Listen to B1 "Medley".

Kay Pirinha
05-06-2020, 12:46 AM
I remember The Petards from the early 1970ies when they had a minor hit here in Germany with Good Good Donna. Is this also included with your DoLP?

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
05-06-2020, 12:57 AM
Some funny exercises by "The Petards" from Hessen, Germany and "The Tonics" (alias "The Spots") from Hamburg. A few of these psychedelic "Beatmusik" tracks are mixed with hundreds of 101 strings, flutes an trumpets. 5 tracks were composed by Carsten Bohn alias Bert Brac (Frumpy drummer), 7 tracks by US easy listening composer Monty Kelly. Some tracks are tinted by a faked sitar. Listen to "Blues for the guru". Gaily coloured cover art by unknown origin. Something to chuckle about. No, it's big fun, indeed!

Fritz The Cat
05-06-2020, 03:14 AM
Class meeting of the German beat bands organized by "generous" Mr. David L. Miller:
The Tonics alias Ten O'Clock Bubble Gum Train, alias The Automatic Blues Inc. from Hamburg
John Deen and The Trakk (John Deen British expatriate) from Hamburg
Rattles alias Hell Preachers from Hamburg
The Petards from Hessen
and some unknown country guys called "The Suspenders" (Hosenträger!)

Fritz The Cat
05-06-2020, 04:39 AM
Anybody from Holland here in this forum ? This is another pleasant bluff package by Mr. David L. Miller. Fortunately there are many fine swinging Jazz tunes and only few jazzy rock'n'roll songs on this LP. 8 of the 12 tracks are Jackie Sprangers compositions. The interesting psychedelic tinted woman's vocals are sung by Jackie Sprangers? She was the wife of studio owner and producer Tony Dirne from Holland. He often used her name for not-copyrighted music, as Jackie was not a member of the Dutch copyright association BIEM/STEMRA. Fine guitar and sax solos by unknown Jazz musicians. Somebody knows better? Listen to the psychedelic tinted "Birds are coming". This is also a delectable bluff packet from Europa records.

Fritz The Cat
05-06-2020, 07:46 AM
Interesting! Is this really a hexagonal label, or just a hexagon printed on a circular one?

Best regards!

The label is circular. It was also a low budget product. I never saw these low budget LPs in Switzerland in stores. You paid about 1/3 of the normal price of an LP.

Fritz The Cat
05-06-2020, 08:02 AM
I remember The Petards from the early 1970ies when they had a minor hit here in Germany with Good Good Donna. Is this also included with your DoLP?

Best regards!

Yes. Track A2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv_mZNcSskI
I got to know the Petards because they performed 2 or 3 times live concerts on SWF3, initiated by Frank Laufenberg. What a pity, i have deleted these tape recordings. Also "Satin Whale" was a band often presented live on SWF3. Schönen Abend noch!

Kay Pirinha
05-06-2020, 11:37 AM
Deleted, due to double posting. Sorry!

Kay Pirinha
05-06-2020, 11:39 AM
Look here (https://youtu.be/5tGErdfSMYk?t=829). They're mimicking their On the Road with my Bag in the streets of some German city for a German TV station.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
05-07-2020, 01:06 AM
Air Mail was an alias for several German Rock and Pop Bands on low budget label Europa. They had to produce so-called "vocal productions" for the benefit of Mr. Miller for some bucks. These tracks were spread onto various LP editions with popular topics. The rock music aficionado didn't buy these poor non-originals.
Ordinary European holidaymakers liked this silly summer-hit "Borriquito" from Spain. They also loved that dumb chart hit "Mamy Blue". As they had no more money left after summer holiday in Teneriffa or Rimini, they grabbed this cheap one. Later they noticed: oh no, this is not the same recording as we used to dance to in Mallorca. It's a bluff package. As consequence, these neglected LPs soon vent into secondhand shops, where they stayed for many decades.Nobody liked them.
Most of the songs on these "cheapo" LPs were early exercises done by German "beat" bands or "Krautrock" groups. The funny thing: these early recordings show their versatility.
Air mail is a mixture of tracks by "Petards", "Asterix", Carsten Bohn alias Bert Brac, "Lucifer's Friend", "German Bonds" et al.
So let's skip 3 needless tracks and listen to a pretty "Lucifer's Friend" ballad "All night long" A6, sung by John Lawton. John Lawton also contributes vocals to "Carry me Back" B3. Listen to "Twelve months and a day" B6 by "Asterix" (pre-"Lucifer's Friend"). "Lady Ann" B5 is typical early "Lucifer's Friend"-style as presented on their first 1970 album. Remember the tragedy: John Lawton had to earn his bread for many years as a member of those silly "Les Humphries singers", who produced the preferred popular music for the common German listener. Horror!

Fritz The Cat
05-07-2020, 10:08 AM
The new "Pink Floyd"?

Fritz The Cat
05-07-2020, 11:16 PM
Get back to the remastered and remixed version of the original session tapes, presented in a form which is reportedly closer to Paul McCartney's vision of how the LP should have sounded: stripped bare of all orchestral and other such embellishments which were added by Phil Spector. Additional 7" 33 rpm single "Fly on the wall", a unique insight into the Beatles at work in rehearsal and in the studio during January 1969.

SEAWOLF97
05-11-2020, 10:02 AM
OK ... some background.

I grew up in SoCal in the 50's/60's. Hot summers were spent at the beach ...fishing in the AM ... Surfing in the afternoons.

Dick Dale was IT.

Have since then always enjoyed SURF MUSIC ... it's fairly simple, but resonates with me.

This 8 minute track was probably Dick's magnum opus. :) The interesting part (besides his guitar) is that the cut uses two drummers and that seems to intensify the persuasion. It's always on my mobile DAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vOK9fCNBzk

Fritz The Cat
05-15-2020, 08:55 AM
A child of the time 50 years ago. Still going strong. Great drums by Idris Muhammad. Timeless.

Fritz The Cat
05-20-2020, 09:24 AM
RIP.
He died 55 years old after his 50 years stage-jubilee last year. How come? Willie Dixon was producer of his debut when Lucky was a "five-year-old genius". A superb organ and guitar player.

Fritz The Cat
05-21-2020, 11:33 PM
"If you listen with your soul, Man, you can hear me tell of all the bullshit, disappointments, jive "Janes" and "Joneses" that went through my life, in PAID IN FULL!" (Jimmy Smith, back cover notes)
Ray Crawford, great guitar.

Fritz The Cat
05-21-2020, 11:54 PM
"New Orleans is about good music, good food and good times..." (liner notes on back cover by Earl King). Agreed! A bright spot in the keyboard-synthie-junk of the 80ies. Ein Lichtblick der 80er Jahre.

Fritz The Cat
05-23-2020, 11:14 PM
First psychedelic rock album in Switzerland. 1969: Switzerland was a late starter for the first lick...
Look here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?2724-What-s-Playing-Now&p=409816&viewfull=1#post409816

Fritz The Cat
05-24-2020, 11:17 PM
"UMMG" (Upper Manhattan Medical Group) A2, a composition by Billy Strayhorn (1915-1967).
Gratitude to his doctor: In 1964, Strayhorn fell seriously ill and was in fact diagnosed with cancer. He dedicated this tune to his doctor. This composition shows a late Strayhorn with a fresh approach. He was clearly influenced by bebop and cool jazz in this last period of his work, and with UMMG, reminiscing of bebop tunes like Gillespie’s Woody’n You from 1942, Strayhorn presented a state-of-the-art interpretation to the fashionable scene. For more profound song infos look here: https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/62908/105074

Fritz The Cat
05-24-2020, 11:44 PM
Why so sad on back cover photo? Totally exhausted? What a gloom. Somehow he knew that this one was not their best one...
The bright spot on this one is a samba: the vocals by Flora Purim and the acoustic bass playing by Ron Carter in "Lovers" B2

Fritz The Cat
06-01-2020, 12:46 AM
What a discovery yesterday at "Vinylpunkt" in Schaffhausen, Switzerland http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?40560-My-favorite-records-store&p=415391&viewfull=1#post415391
A fat Gibson guitar and a low down dirty Hammond organ. It's only southern blues-rock, but we like it. This one is refresheningly "reduced to the max". Listen to the swinging version of John Mayall's 1967 "Brown Sugar" A1. Joy of playing.

Fritz The Cat
06-01-2020, 10:54 AM
One of the greatest German rock songs ever: "1001 und 1 Nacht". Tausendmal berührt... Live!

Fritz The Cat
06-10-2020, 11:33 PM
The one and only good tasting original Kraut recipe. One of the best Krautrock live recordings IMHO. Produced by Cornelius Hudalla. Recorded at "Roxy Palast" Berlin West with Conny Plank's Mobile Studio in January 1976. Superb Bellaphon pressing.

Fritz The Cat
06-25-2020, 12:22 AM
This is the original band called "Riff Raff" with Tommy Eyre (Grease Band, Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation, Juicy Lucy, Mark- Almond) and Roger Sutton (Nucleus). This Band is not to be confused with US band "Riff Raff" who released an album entitled "Vinyl Futures" in 1981. They had ripped-off the band name. Listen to the atmospheric "La meme chose" B3. A fine one.

Fritz The Cat
06-30-2020, 10:47 PM
2018 stereo reissue. Superb dynamics. Beautiful bonus folder.
"Preserving the old ways from being abused, protecting the new ways for me and for you..."
One (more) for the desert island.

Fritz The Cat
06-30-2020, 11:10 PM
German 1980 mono reissue. Look at my last post: stereo or mono, that's the question. Two different sights. Concerning the dynamics, this one is not as brilliant in dynamics as the 2018 BMG reissue. Not the one for the desert island. Does anybody own a 1968 first pressing? "You are our friends for playing the record" (Notice on back cover)

SEAWOLF97
07-04-2020, 07:49 AM
This last year I've been appreciating Brewer & Shipley more.

yes, there's some schlock , but some rather nice tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhOWxB8DpY

the title may seem to be tuned to the holiday, but that's not my intent.

SEAWOLF97
07-07-2020, 07:34 AM
This last year I've been appreciating Brewer & Shipley more.

yes, there's some schlock , but some rather nice tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhOWxB8DpY

the title may seem to be tuned to the holiday, but that's not my intent.

the song "One Toke Over the Line", which they wrote as a joke while preparing backstage for a performance ,"One Toke Over The Line" was performed on The Lawrence Welk Show, a television program known for its conservative, family-oriented format, by a duo known as "Gail and Dale". At the conclusion of the performance of the song, Welk remarked, without any hint of irony, "There you've heard a modern spiritual by Gail and Dale." This caused Michael Brewer to comment:

The Vice President of the United States, Spiro Agnew, named us personally as a subversive to American youth, but at exactly the same time Lawrence Welk performed the crazy thing and introduced it as a gospel song. That shows how absurd it really is. Of course, we got more publicity than we could have paid for.

Brewer & Shipley have performed with many notable acts, including Stephen Stills, Bruce Springsteen, Black Sabbath, and Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead

Fritz The Cat
07-20-2020, 12:53 AM
Meticulous Japan pressing
Superb dynamic.
Mint condition of vinyl and cover
What a wonderful day!

Fritz The Cat
07-20-2020, 02:30 AM
No "Live at Montreux" this year. For the first time in 54 years. What a shin kicking! There is a wonderful compensation here: https://www.montreuxjazzfestival.com/de/news/streamed-concerts-54th-summer-of-music/
Listen to Rorys "Shin kicker".

Fritz The Cat
07-23-2020, 02:38 AM
Ex-Captain Beefheart band members. No fillers all winners. Produced by Mutt Lange. Listen to the multifaceted fantastic "Heartstrings" B1.
One of those numerous forgotten gems of those times. A good climate for a duck in the seventies.

Fritz The Cat
07-31-2020, 02:14 PM
Big fun in Ray Dorset's Satellite Studio in Dec. 1983: Vincent Crane (Atomic Rooster) keyboards, Ray Dorset vocals. Peter Green guitar, Jeff Whittaker percussion. Listen to "One More Night Without You" A2.

Fritz The Cat
08-12-2020, 11:03 PM
Herman Brood committed suicide on 21. July 2001 by jumping from the hotel roof of the Hilton Hotel in Amsterdam. Listen to B5 "Suicide".
And don't forget to listen to the wonderful song A5 "Berlin schmerzt"!

Fritz The Cat
08-12-2020, 11:42 PM
Krautrock-Punk-Neue Deutsche Welle-Minimalismus? Keep the synthesizers rocking.

SEAWOLF97
08-14-2020, 03:27 PM
dragged home a fairly nice copy of this one ... MONO.

The liner notes on initial pressings contained producer Andrew Loog Oldham's advice to the record buying public, which was quickly temporarily removed from some subsequent pressings:

This is THE STONES new disc within. Cast deep in your pockets for the loot to buy this disc of groovies and fancy words. If you don't have the bread, see that blind man knock him on the head, steal his wallet and low [sic] and behold you have the loot, if you put in the boot, good, another one sold!

:eek:

Fritz The Cat
09-14-2020, 12:20 AM
"Cuba Club" in Schaffhausen, Switzerland. Every Wednesday evening: "Vinyl lovers open air". https://www.facebook.com/events/1603906003117087
Not without these 4 funky LPs!
Visit Schaffhausen! Funky little town.

Fritz The Cat
09-14-2020, 12:26 AM
From München, Germany: late 70ies multifaceted funky fusion jazzrock. Listen to "Arauca" B4.

Fritz The Cat
09-14-2020, 09:49 AM
Is Discogs the end of the innocence of vinyl-fascination? Concerning the value of a record, there is heavy madness! Look here: https://www.discogs.com/de/Santana-Supernatural/release/2372444
Good night to vinyl-philosophy.
By the way: i like this one very much since 20 years, but i won't sell it...

Fritz The Cat
10-07-2020, 12:29 AM
Eddie Van Halen R.I.P.

Fritz The Cat
10-21-2020, 12:02 AM
"Willy has been a regular visitor at Montreux and this album captures him at his absolute best in 1994 with a stunning band and a superb set list" (cit: back cover notice). Superb dynamics. That's why vinyl goes straight to the heart. Character reference.

Fritz The Cat
10-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Spencer Davis (1939-2020) R.I.P.

SEAWOLF97
10-29-2020, 11:34 AM
Santana - Do You Remember Me ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvA9d6n7Jzg

Fritz The Cat
11-04-2020, 01:50 AM
In 1972 Richard Nixon was President of the USA. No chance for Vincent Damon Furnier. Cheers to the next President!

Fritz The Cat
11-07-2020, 02:42 PM
Ken Hensley (1945-2020) R.I.P.
Lee Kerslake (1947-2010) R.I.P.

rusty jefferson
11-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Ray Charles, America the Beautiful.
https://youtu.be/myBVejwZt8Q

rusty jefferson
11-07-2020, 08:09 PM
James Brown, Funky President.
https://youtu.be/8_ODghRTeyQ

rusty jefferson
11-07-2020, 08:18 PM
The Who, Won't Get Fooled Again.
https://youtu.be/SHhrZgojY1Q

rusty jefferson
11-07-2020, 08:35 PM
Patti Smith, People Have the Power.
https://youtu.be/pPR-HyGj2d0

rusty jefferson
11-07-2020, 08:45 PM
John Lennon, Power to the People.
https://youtu.be/YnF0Am3YvGk

rusty jefferson
11-07-2020, 08:52 PM
Elvis Costello, (What's So Special 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.
https://youtu.be/Ssd3U_zicAI

rusty jefferson
11-07-2020, 08:58 PM
Well, you get the idea. ;-)

Fritz The Cat
11-08-2020, 05:27 AM
The Who, Won't Get Fooled Again.
https://youtu.be/SHhrZgojY1Q

You won't get fooled again by any politician? This is the grand illusion! Anywhere on this planet.

rusty jefferson
11-08-2020, 11:02 AM
:)

Fat Point Jack
11-08-2020, 12:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S1haSWJJVo

Fritz The Cat
11-13-2020, 03:26 PM
After these noisy elections days in USA there will be Peace And Quiet. As shown on front cover painting...
Jerry Goodman violin.

Fritz The Cat
11-22-2020, 09:26 AM
Great music history. Recorded at Southern Music Recording Studio, Denmark Street 100, London in 1964-1966. Produced by Terry Kennedy and Mike Vernon. Art Wood vocals (Brother of Ron Wood), Jon Lord (Deep Purple/Whitesnake et al.), Derek Griffiths guitar, Keef Hartley (!!!) drums, Malcolm Pool bass. Jon Lord was a real hand at the organ then. Listen to A8 "Im' looking for a saxophonist doubling French horn wearing size 37 boots" (sic!).

Fritz The Cat
12-04-2020, 01:34 AM
Hot groovy funk from chilly German north.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUuYbRM5jxA You can't keep still...

Mordedordher
12-19-2020, 10:27 AM
The Animals - House of the Rising Sun :crying:

SEAWOLF97
12-22-2020, 03:46 PM
Tuoi's home nurse visited today .. her health looking better.

Nurse was very excited that today is the start of "The Age of Aquarius" ... if you follow the lyrics of the song.

I tried to check the web , but get conflicting answers.
https://www.wellandgood.com/what-is-age-aquarius/

this youtube vid was like an old friend tho :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILSr9BbhoJQ

RMC
12-23-2020, 12:25 AM
Wolf,

You mean an old friend like this Liberty Records/Soul City Motown 1969 antique? It has a lot of mileage but acceptable condition for its age...

"... the outstanding 8 track facilities at Wally Heider..." Things have changed a litlle since then, haven't they, lol

Mordedordher
12-23-2020, 05:19 AM
"... the outstanding 8 track facilities at Wally Heider..." Things have changed a little since then, haven't they, lol"

Yes, but for the time being those things were super-outstanding, even the Beatles were 4-track in many famous songs;8-tracking was very expensive and required professional equipment. It took 20 years since 1969 to release the first ever affordable... 4-track recorder (Portastudio) ))) And then computers changed that all.

Fritz The Cat
12-25-2020, 12:36 AM
Wolf,

You mean an old friend like this Liberty Records/Soul City Motown 1969 antique? It has a lot of mileage but acceptable condition for its age...

"... the outstanding 8 track facilities at Wally Heider..." Things have changed a litlle since then, haven't they, lol

A big hand for the "Wrecking Crew"!

Fritz The Cat
12-25-2020, 12:54 AM
Stille Nacht-Heilige Nacht. Mary alone at home with her baby. Happy x-mas to every music aficionado!

Fritz The Cat
01-13-2021, 11:36 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CATERINA! Born January 14 in 1931

Fritz The Cat
01-17-2021, 04:38 AM
Westcoast sounds from Island Studios and Ramport Studios, London. Les Nicol, Steve Chapman, Charlie Harrison, Steve Krieger plus Mick Weaver and Nicky Hopkins. Forgotten one, but indeed: delicious and refreshing.

Fritz The Cat
01-25-2021, 11:25 AM
For your eyes only: a mysterious fold cover.

SEAWOLF97
01-25-2021, 12:23 PM
"... the outstanding 8 track facilities at Wally Heider..." Things have changed a little since then, haven't they, lol"

Yes, but for the time being those things were super-outstanding, even the Beatles were 4-track in many famous songs;8-tracking was very expensive and required professional equipment. It took 20 years since 1969 to release the first ever affordable... 4-track recorder (Portastudio) ))) And then computers changed that all.

yes, I missed this post.

The book by the Beatles engineer did some referring to this.

initially recorded on 4 track , then they got the idea of using two 4 track machines
and using 1 track on each to synch both together. some of the Beatles early stuff is really poorly mixed if you listen on headphones.

Fritz The Cat
02-11-2021, 11:58 PM
Chick Corea RIP. Listen to the funky and groovy "The Musician" A1. A great musician...

Fritz The Cat
02-14-2021, 02:15 AM
Exceptional progressive concept album after those melodious pop songs in 1968-1970. Listen to the oriental "The Lamb" A5. Don't listen to Irene Papas' vocals on C5. Cult.

SEAWOLF97
03-06-2021, 10:06 AM
movie with great soundtrack

Pi - movie opening intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHygMeYtREM&list=PL3k11n9MHfs24rj9bBPgBa5Y38_prPBbt&index=32

Fritz The Cat
03-18-2021, 02:25 AM
According to ancient legends of the Mythological Cycle, they tell us of a celtic otherworld to the west. A place where happiness reigns. There is no age, sickness or death and a hundred years are as one day (cit.: back cover notes).
Eric Bell great guitar work. Listen to his fantastic solo in "The Rocker" A4. Amazing artwork by Jim Fitzpatrick. All time classic piece of trio rock music.

Fritz The Cat
03-18-2021, 03:10 AM
Bill Anthony/Chuck Andrus/Ernie Farrow (b)
Frank Isola/Jack Edie (dr)
Perfect quality of old Dutch vinyl, a reliable data medium also for the following 66 years. And more?

Kay Pirinha
03-18-2021, 04:53 AM
Eric Bell great guitar work. Listen to his fantastic solo in "The Rocker" A4.

Fully agreed! This tune literally grasped me as a 15yr old then. The two and a half minute solo is a gorgeous one. And I like the quasi live setup, as there are no overdubs, not even during the guitar solo.

Btw, does your album copy indeed contain Whisky in the Jar, the song that made Thin Lizzy famous? The original edition of Vagabonds doesn't...

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
03-18-2021, 09:27 AM
Fully agreed! This tune literally grasped me as a 15yr old then. The two and a half minute solo is a gorgeous one. And I like the quasi live setup, as there are no overdubs, not even during the guitar solo.

Btw, does your album copy indeed contain Whisky in the Jar, the song that made Thin Lizzy famous? The original edition of Vagabonds doesn't...

Best regards!
[/SIZE]
Look at the printed seal on front cover. Sound quality of "Whiskey in the jar" on this LP is not as perfect as the rest of the tracks. Original or not? Discogs says yes. I purchased it just December 2020.

Fritz The Cat
03-18-2021, 09:37 AM
A mesmerizing slow soul version of Lennon/McCartney's "Good Day Sunshine" B1. Anyone knows a better cover version? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXMpNqs61Rc

Kay Pirinha
03-18-2021, 09:54 AM
Currently there's a 2019 reissue of Vagabonds in the Western World available as a LP, without the Whisky tune. Maybe I should go for it?

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
03-18-2021, 11:33 AM
Currently there's a 2019 reissue of Vagabonds in the Western World available as a LP, without the Whisky tune. Maybe I should go for it?

Best regards!

Go for it! Happiness reigns....

Fritz The Cat
03-19-2021, 01:08 AM
Title track A1: just a funny jam-session together with Ron Wood (b), Micky Waller (dr), Nicky Hopkins (p), backing vocals by Madeline Bell, Lesley Duncan and Suzy Quatro (!?) and who knows what else. Oh, i nearly forgot to mention: with a little help by the Fender guitar of Jeff Beck.

Fritz The Cat
03-20-2021, 01:21 AM
Ex-Ramsey Lewis Trio. Soft grooving funky stuff. Soulful piano by Ken Chaney!

Fritz The Cat
03-20-2021, 03:54 AM
Joe Pass (g), Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen (b), Martin Drew (dr)
Produced by Norman Granz at Fantasy Studios, Berkley, California, Nov.8, 1983
Superb dynamics.

Fritz The Cat
03-21-2021, 04:56 AM
One of the best LPs in Jazz. One of the worst cover foto in Jazz IMHO. Dynamic eating...

Fritz The Cat
03-24-2021, 02:02 AM
Subtitled as "Silver dreams-golden reality". What illusion...
Idyllic esoteric world in the ivory tower. Underrated anyhow?

Fritz The Cat
03-25-2021, 01:14 AM
Something of the best Holland could give to us in the 80ies. No not that cheesy food...

Fritz The Cat
03-25-2021, 02:20 AM
Something of the best England could give to us in 2020. No not that cloudy tea with the milk added...

Fritz The Cat
03-26-2021, 01:34 AM
Something of the best Finnland could give to us in the 80ies: the guitar playing by Jukka Tolonen.

Fritz The Cat
03-30-2021, 01:26 AM
Miller Anderson, g/voc, Gary Thain, b (Uriah Heep), Peter Dines, org, Spit James, g
Brass by Henry Lowther, Harry Becket, Lynn Dobson and Chris Mercer
Blues-rock "par excellence"!

Fritz The Cat
03-31-2021, 01:58 AM
Oscar & Joe & Ray: The Giants
No exaggeration.

Anti K
04-24-2021, 06:11 AM
Chick Corea RIP. Listen to the funky and groovy "The Musician" A1. A great musician...

Chick Corea was to me like GATE into deep sophisticated surreal Jazz-world.
Hi so well balanced between surrealism and main theme. He was first I recognized enjoy, while, like unneccessary instrument 'interrupts' into main theme, counterpoints...

My first Jazz artist I buy me, myself, own money, was 2000 his CHANGE!
Night (Lylah) made me almost cry (it's abit naive track, but like children's first steps to learn to run some day) and after that right away AWAKENING.
It was AWAKENING.
I was done. Fell in love of Jaaaaz...

A great musician

(it reminded me movie WHIPLASH, why, do not even know myself)

Fritz The Cat
04-29-2021, 11:05 PM
Nick Mason's NON-fictitious sports. 2 hours of his strange hobby. We waited so many years for this one...
Gary Kemp guitars and lead vocals. Maximum of haptic vinyl-cover art.

Fritz The Cat
05-16-2021, 11:50 PM
Concept album about John Lee, "the man they couldn't hang". 50 years since this one has been produced by Nicol/Mattacks/Swarbrick/Pegg.

Fritz The Cat
05-24-2021, 12:14 AM
Recorded live with fat horns and strong backing vocals 1985 at The Zenith in Paris by The Rolling Stones Mobile, 1987 at Hammersmith Odeon in London by the Fleetwood Mobile and at Reading Festival by the BBC Mobile.

Fritz The Cat
05-24-2021, 12:47 AM
Kantner/Balin/Casady
Nine day wonder.
Underrated?

Fritz The Cat
05-24-2021, 01:25 AM
This one is something special for aficionados of classic cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0kUtPCs7bg

Fritz The Cat
06-22-2021, 02:59 AM
9-piece jazz-rock band. Brass driven power machine.

Fritz The Cat
06-29-2021, 12:01 AM
Distinctive Irish influences.
Neil Carter kb, Bob Daisley b
Btw: does anybody know who played the drums on this one (not mentioned on inner sleeve)?
Underrated?

Kay Pirinha
06-29-2021, 04:28 AM
Wikipedia says: Roland Kerridge - drum programming. So no real drummer involved.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
07-15-2021, 02:41 AM
No, he has found the "SONG" again! Listen to his fantastic version of Traffic song "The low spark of high heeled boys" B1. Joy of playing...

Fritz The Cat
07-25-2021, 04:28 AM
Mark Isham/Bill Douglass/ Kurt Wortman
Recorded June 1977 at Tonstudio Bauer, Ludwigsburg. One of the masterworks by Manfred Eicher.
Listen to the beautiful "El Pueblo De Las Vacas Tristes" B1.

Fritz The Cat
07-27-2021, 04:08 AM
Multifaceted with boisterous joy of music-making. Recorded at Supraphon Studio Prague, Oct. 1975. One of many excellent rock groups from Hungary drawing on great musical tradition. Locomotiv GT: highly recommended!

Fritz The Cat
08-02-2021, 12:02 AM
Produced by Jon Hiseman. Alan Holdsworth g. Roy Babbington b. Clive Thacker dr.
A big one.

Fritz The Cat
08-07-2021, 01:59 AM
Great quality heavy progressive rock, although not yet ennobled by those gorgeous vocals of Geff Harrison. Engineered by Conny Plank! A "must have" for Krautrock aficionados.

Fritz The Cat
08-08-2021, 01:15 AM
Phil Mays (1944-2020) last work and a fitting tribute. Back to the roots. What beautiful LP cover art work.

Fritz The Cat
08-08-2021, 02:13 AM
Occasional rain in Switzerland this year's summer. Listen to title track B3: "Damm the weatherman, he seems to work against me any way he can,..."

Fritz The Cat
08-08-2021, 03:46 AM
Julie Hadwen: one of the most fascinating new female voices and surely a bright spot of the 80ies. Forgotten?
Listen to "My hell shaped room" B2. Look and listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGYKC3ChCxE

Fritz The Cat
08-11-2021, 12:05 AM
Buster Williams b, Billy Hart dr. The 1970s have been a renaissance period for any number of jazz artists from earlier eras.
Listen to "New York's my home" A3: a groovy kind of love....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBibVKZMlU4

Kay Pirinha
08-11-2021, 01:09 AM
Yes, the 1970ies indeed were a Renaissance period:

They were the 1st band to perform three consecutive sold-out shows at the Carnegie Hall in June, 1975.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
08-11-2021, 04:36 AM
Yes, the 1970ies indeed were a Renaissance period:

They were the 1st band to perform three consecutive sold-out shows at the Carnegie Hall in June, 1975.

Best regards!

Look here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?2724-What-s-Playing-Now&p=396460&viewfull=1#post396460

(http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?2724-What-s-Playing-Now&p=396460&viewfull=1#post396460)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?41491-Duchesses&p=421743&viewfull=1#post421743

Yes, big times for Renaissance.

Fritz The Cat
08-16-2021, 12:31 AM
Drowned with waving flags in the turmoil of punk. Worth discovering. Heavy guitars, fat orchestras, versatility. Led Zeppelin meets Queen?

Fritz The Cat
08-17-2021, 12:12 AM
Bobbi ringed - all those musicians followed: Billy Harper ts, Lee Morgan tp, Hank Jones p, George Duvivier b, Gordon Edwards b, Idris Muhammad dr, Jimmy Johnson dr, et al.
Engineered by Rudy Van Gelder Sept. 30/Oct. 1, 1971
50 Years since these groovy recordings!

Fritz The Cat
09-06-2021, 02:42 AM
Ex-Oblivion Express. Recorded "live" at Rockcity Sound Studios in Shepperton, Surrey, UK. Inspired guitar playing by a great musician. All winners no fillers. Listen to Stevie Wonders "As you read my mind" A3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXQbhYrAkg
Thumbs up, agreed!
Forgotten?

Fritz The Cat
09-07-2021, 04:17 AM
Ex-"If" Dick Morrissey on top. Twin masterwork to Jim Mullen "Thumbs up" (see last post here). Jim Mullen guitar on 4 tracks. Listen to "March on" A2.

Fritz The Cat
09-07-2021, 11:03 PM
Look here:http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?2724-What-s-Playing-Now&p=438118&viewfull=1#post438118

Fritz The Cat
09-13-2021, 12:07 AM
Valium-surrogate. Listen to "Tears from the children" A2.

Fritz The Cat
09-27-2021, 07:13 AM
Haptic progrock jewel. Blue Weaver replaced Rick Wakeman. Sadly not the best pressing.

Fritz The Cat
10-02-2021, 12:13 AM
Drowned in a swamp of punk-overkill and lack of understanding.
Listen to wonderful track A4 "Images shifting".

Kay Pirinha
10-02-2021, 12:24 AM
Maybe you'd better have listened to Lee's 1974 In Flight album, especially to Freedom For the Stallion with that wonderful sax solo by Mel Collins?

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
10-02-2021, 02:43 AM
Where is the soulful voice we used hear from Small Faces and Humble Pie.
Except the voice, the whole LP is "erste Sahne".
Listen to track 3 "Help me through the day" on British side.
Listen to track 5 "Early evening light" on American side.

Fritz The Cat
10-02-2021, 03:19 AM
[QUOTE=Kay Pirinha;438455]Maybe you'd better have listened to Lee's 1974 In Flight album, especially to Freedom For the Stallion with that wonderful sax solo by Mel Collins?

Yesss, this is definitively a great track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bev3r41j3s
Erste Sahne! I'm looking for this live double album....

Fritz The Cat
10-04-2021, 01:04 AM
The grooviest sounds coming from a violin? Listen to "Far out" B2.
Filthy? Grunt!

Fritz The Cat
11-14-2021, 09:51 AM
Lush fanciful folk-punkrock. You must love it.

Fritz The Cat
11-14-2021, 10:24 AM
1A surf punkrock. Drunkabilly. Recorded in MONSTERPHONIC sound. This wine goes down well.

justin
11-18-2021, 03:16 PM
KABUKI Theater STAR WARS: A Japanese dance-drama from a Galaxy Far Far Away.Kabuki is a traditional style of Japanese (https://kabukimask.com/) theatre. It is a theatrical style with a very rich history. Originating from the 1600s it’s incorporated the social topics of that time and even after many renditions, sanctions from leaders and changes it is still as popular as ever. One of the most popular or characteristic features of kabuki theatre is definitely the masks that are used. The word kabuki means “out of the ordinary” and without the use of these exaggerated masks and makeup theatre wouldn’t be the same.

https://youtu.be/PJ8VtEw5DgE

Fritz The Cat
11-19-2021, 04:52 AM
A cheap "vocal" production. Anybody knows who are the musicians in this fantastic Santana tribute band?

Fat Point Jack
11-21-2021, 04:45 PM
A cheap "vocal" production. Anybody knows who are the musicians in this fantastic Santana tribute band?

These Guys?

Bummer.

Members of Montana Band Killed in Plane Crash
LEN IWANSKIJuly 5, 1987

LAKESIDE, Mont. (AP) _ A twin-engine plane that crashed and burned near a popular resort at Flathead Lake in western Montana killed all 10 people on board, including the members of a popular bluegrass band, authorities said.
All five members of The Montana Band died when the Beechcraft plane went down Saturday night, along with the group’s road manager, sound manager, the plane’s pilot and a female friend of his and the 12-year-old son of a band member, said the Flathead County sheriff’s office.
Some witnesses said they saw an airplane ″buzzing″ the lake shortly before the crash. Federal Aviation Administration investigator Don Paul said, ″We believe it was the same one (plane), but we haven’t confirmed that yet.″
″They buzzed one of the boats on the lake. It looked like they knew somebody in the boat. They came over low and waggled their wings,″ said one witness, Virgil Deppmeier of Los Altos, Calif.
Corky Derby, a spokeswoman for the Flathead County sheriff’s office, confirmed that incidents of airplane ″buzzing″ were reported Saturday afternoon and later in the evening.
The band, based in Reno, Nev., had become popular among country music fans since winning the country division of the Willie Nelson Music Invitational last year in Austin, Texas.
The group never had a national hit, but recorded four albums and made numerous appearances on television. They had played the Reno-Tahoe casino showroom circuit for more than a decade, as well as colleges, nightclubs, state fairs and rodeos across the country.
Art Long, publicity director for John Ascuaga’s Nugget in Sparks, Nev., where the group played 22 times since 1980, said the group was one of the most popular acts ever to play the casino.
″They were only a step away from the main showrooms and from the big-time with groups like Alabama and the Oak Ridge Boys,″ Long said. ″We’re very saddened because the guys had exceptional talent and personalities. ″
A spokeswoman said the band had played a private engagement at Lakeside and taken off from the Kalispell City Airport en route to Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, to play Saturday night in nearby Post Falls.
The plane went down 12-15 miles south of the airport just after 8 p.m., said Corky Derby, information officer for the sheriff’s office.
It hit the top of pine trees 20 yards away from U.S. 93, tearing off a portion of the tail section and then cut a burning swath through trees before plowing into an apple orchard. Musical instruments were scattered around the wreckage.
″I could see the plane coming up over the house,″ said Dellivan Thornton, who saw the crash from about a half-mile away. ″She was coming real low and made a curve and then she just went down and hit between two trees.″
Two investigators from the Federal Aviation Administration office in Helena were on the scene Sunday morning, and Derby said officials from the National Transportation Safety Board office in Denver were expected later in the day.
Gene Holliday, who lives nearby, said he saw the plane come in off Flathead Lake and go into a roll.
″I saw the angle and knew it was going in,″ Holliday said. He said the engines sounded as if they stalled.
Derby said witnesses who saw the plane crash had varying accounts of what occurred moments before impact and the ensuing fire. ″Everybody saw something different,″ she said.
″There were so many eyewitnesses. ... The lake was full of people″ boating on the Fourth of July, she said.
The victims were identified as pilot Joe Taylor of Athol, Idaho, his friend Jean Bernadine Lemery of Coeur d’Alene; 12-year-old Dallas Tipton, son of band member Clifford Tipton of Reno, Nev., who also was killed; sound manager Dale Anderson, Fort Benton; and band manager Tom Sawan of Missoula. The other band members were identified as Kurt Bergeron, Spokane, Wash.; Allan Larson, Tulsa, Okla.; Grady Whitfield, Salt Lake City; and Terry Robinson, Whitefish.
The bodies were burned beyond recognition and ages were unavailable, Derby said. It was estimated that most of the victims were in their late 20s or early 30s.
Other entertainers killed in plane crashes included singer Rick Nelson, who had been featured with his family on the long-running TV series ″The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet.″ Nelson, 45, and members of his Stone Canyon Band were killed in December 1985 when their DC-3 crash-landed near DeKalb, Texas.
Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and J.P. ″The Big Bopper″ Richardson were killed in 1959 when their plane crashed near Mason City, Iowa, en route to a show in Fargo, N.D.
Country star Patsy Cline was killed in 1963 in a crash near Camden, Tenn., and country singer Jim Reeves died the following year in a crash near Nashville, Tenn.
Rhythm and blues artist Otis Redding died in Wisconsin with members of his band in 1967. Rock star Jim Croce died in a 1973 crash near Natchitoches, La., and Ronnie Van Zant and some members of his Lynyrd Skynyrd band died in 1977 in a crash in McComb, Miss.

AP NEWS

Top Stories (https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-news)
Video (https://apnews.com/hub/videos)
Contact Us ([email protected])
Cookie Settings

DOWNLOAD AP NEWS
Connect with the definitive source for global and local news
[/URL]https://apnews.com/en_badge_web_generic.png (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ap-news/id364677107)
MORE FROM AP

ap.org (https://www.ap.org/)
AP Insights (https://insights.ap.org/)
AP Definitive Source Blog (https://blog.ap.org/)
AP Images Spotlight (https://apimagesblog.com/)
AP Explore (https://www.ap.org/explore/)
AP Books (https://www.ap.org/books/)

FOLLOW AP

(https://twitter.com/AP)

[URL="https://www.linkedin.com/company/associated-press"] (https://www.youtube.com/user/AssociatedPress)

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

About (https://www.ap.org/about/)
Contact (https://www.ap.org/contact-us/)
Customer Support (http://aphelp.ap.org/)
Careers (https://www.ap.org/careers/)
Terms & Conditions (https://apnews.com/termsofservice)
Privacy (https://apnews.com/privacystatement)

All contents © copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Fritz The Cat
11-25-2021, 01:45 PM
These Guys?

Bummer.

Members of Montana Band Killed in Plane Crash

LEN IWANSKIJuly 5, 1987

LAKESIDE, Mont. (AP) _ A twin-engine plane that crashed and burned near a popular resort at Flathead Lake in western Montana killed all 10 people on board, including the members of a popular bluegrass band, authorities said.
All five members of The Montana Band died when the Beechcraft plane went down Saturday night, along with the group’s road manager, sound manager, the plane’s pilot and a female friend of his and the 12-year-old son of a band member, said the Flathead County sheriff’s office.
Some witnesses said they saw an airplane ″buzzing″ the lake shortly before the crash. Federal Aviation Administration investigator Don Paul said, ″We believe it was the same one (plane), but we haven’t confirmed that yet.″
″They buzzed one of the boats on the lake. It looked like they knew somebody in the boat. They came over low and waggled their wings,″ said one witness, Virgil Deppmeier of Los Altos, Calif.
Corky Derby, a spokeswoman for the Flathead County sheriff’s office, confirmed that incidents of airplane ″buzzing″ were reported Saturday afternoon and later in the evening.
The band, based in Reno, Nev., had become popular among country music fans since winning the country division of the Willie Nelson Music Invitational last year in Austin, Texas.
The group never had a national hit, but recorded four albums and made numerous appearances on television. They had played the Reno-Tahoe casino showroom circuit for more than a decade, as well as colleges, nightclubs, state fairs and rodeos across the country.
Art Long, publicity director for John Ascuaga’s Nugget in Sparks, Nev., where the group played 22 times since 1980, said the group was one of the most popular acts ever to play the casino.
″They were only a step away from the main showrooms and from the big-time with groups like Alabama and the Oak Ridge Boys,″ Long said. ″We’re very saddened because the guys had exceptional talent and personalities. ″
A spokeswoman said the band had played a private engagement at Lakeside and taken off from the Kalispell City Airport en route to Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, to play Saturday night in nearby Post Falls.
The plane went down 12-15 miles south of the airport just after 8 p.m., said Corky Derby, information officer for the sheriff’s office.
It hit the top of pine trees 20 yards away from U.S. 93, tearing off a portion of the tail section and then cut a burning swath through trees before plowing into an apple orchard. Musical instruments were scattered around the wreckage.
″I could see the plane coming up over the house,″ said Dellivan Thornton, who saw the crash from about a half-mile away. ″She was coming real low and made a curve and then she just went down and hit between two trees.″
Two investigators from the Federal Aviation Administration office in Helena were on the scene Sunday morning, and Derby said officials from the National Transportation Safety Board office in Denver were expected later in the day.
Gene Holliday, who lives nearby, said he saw the plane come in off Flathead Lake and go into a roll.
″I saw the angle and knew it was going in,″ Holliday said. He said the engines sounded as if they stalled.
Derby said witnesses who saw the plane crash had varying accounts of what occurred moments before impact and the ensuing fire. ″Everybody saw something different,″ she said.
″There were so many eyewitnesses. ... The lake was full of people″ boating on the Fourth of July, she said.
The victims were identified as pilot Joe Taylor of Athol, Idaho, his friend Jean Bernadine Lemery of Coeur d’Alene; 12-year-old Dallas Tipton, son of band member Clifford Tipton of Reno, Nev., who also was killed; sound manager Dale Anderson, Fort Benton; and band manager Tom Sawan of Missoula. The other band members were identified as Kurt Bergeron, Spokane, Wash.; Allan Larson, Tulsa, Okla.; Grady Whitfield, Salt Lake City; and Terry Robinson, Whitefish.
The bodies were burned beyond recognition and ages were unavailable, Derby said. It was estimated that most of the victims were in their late 20s or early 30s.
Other entertainers killed in plane crashes included singer Rick Nelson, who had been featured with his family on the long-running TV series ″The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet.″ Nelson, 45, and members of his Stone Canyon Band were killed in December 1985 when their DC-3 crash-landed near DeKalb, Texas.
Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and J.P. ″The Big Bopper″ Richardson were killed in 1959 when their plane crashed near Mason City, Iowa, en route to a show in Fargo, N.D.
Country star Patsy Cline was killed in 1963 in a crash near Camden, Tenn., and country singer Jim Reeves died the following year in a crash near Nashville, Tenn.
Rhythm and blues artist Otis Redding died in Wisconsin with members of his band in 1967. Rock star Jim Croce died in a 1973 crash near Natchitoches, La., and Ronnie Van Zant and some members of his Lynyrd Skynyrd band died in 1977 in a crash in McComb, Miss.

AP NEWS

Top Stories (https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-news)
Video (https://apnews.com/hub/videos)
Contact Us ([email protected])
Cookie Settings

DOWNLOAD AP NEWS
Connect with the definitive source for global and local news
https://apnews.com/en_badge_web_generic.png (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mnn.Android)
MORE FROM AP

ap.org (https://www.ap.org/)
AP Insights (https://insights.ap.org/)
AP Definitive Source Blog (https://blog.ap.org/)
AP Images Spotlight (https://apimagesblog.com/)
AP Explore (https://www.ap.org/explore/)
AP Books (https://www.ap.org/books/)

FOLLOW AP

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

About (https://www.ap.org/about/)
Contact (https://www.ap.org/contact-us/)
Customer Support (http://aphelp.ap.org/)
Careers (https://www.ap.org/careers/)
Terms & Conditions (https://apnews.com/termsofservice)
Privacy (https://apnews.com/privacystatement)

All contents © copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

The album and band in question is not country or country rock! It's hot Santana-style...

Kay Pirinha
11-27-2021, 08:47 AM
Here's an album of a lesser known, short-lived band, who called their music Flamenco Rock. It's Carmen's 1973 debut, produced by Davie Bowie and T. Rex producer Tony Visconti.

After their disbanding in 1975, drummer Paul Fenton should become the drummer for T. Rex, and bass guitarist John Glascock joined Jethro Tull.

A fine, presumably underrated piece of progressive rock!

I acquired my copy via Discogs. It's a British first pressing by EMI/Regal Zonophone and arrived this day.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
12-20-2021, 12:41 AM
Produced by Graham Nash. David Lindley g/slide g/violin. Plas Johnson sax. Tim Weisberg flute.
Horn section: Fred Wesley, Clifford Solomon, Blue Mitchell.
Nice to remember those times.

Fritz The Cat
12-29-2021, 05:54 AM
Released in USA only. The Animals are: Benny Golson and Horace Ott with their orchestras. On this one Eric Burdon is the Sinatra for the hippies. Listen to Randy Newman's "Mama told me not to come" A2.
Indeed: sounds great in STEREO! Good old American vinyl...

Kay Pirinha
01-30-2022, 05:37 AM
On August 24th, 2019, the Tedeschi Trucks Band performed almost the whole groundbreaking Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs album live during a show at the Lockn' festival at Arrington, VA. They did it with that much dedication and authenticity. Even that unreal drum pattern during most of Bell Bottom Blues was perfectly reproduced. So this triple LP has it's own spot next to the Derek & the Dominos original, which had been released just the day Susan Tedeschi was born. I wish I could have attended this show.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
02-07-2022, 01:41 AM
Davey Pattison lead vocals (Ex-Gamma/Montrose): underrated singer?
Dave Bronze:one of the most experienced bass players in rock music
Pete Thompson drums (Ex-Silverhead)
Sublime accompaniment of a characteristic guitar
Listen to B2 "No Time" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx6xhfDQ49Y
Greetings from Switzerland!

Fritz The Cat
03-02-2022, 01:53 AM
Domenic Troiano: underestimated guitarist. Replaced Joe Walsh. Was replaced by Tommy Bolin. Both of them made a career.
Roy Kenner: underestimated vocalist. Never made a famous career.
All tracks composed by Kenner and Troiano.
This album: also underestimated, but not forgotten, passin' thru all these (50!)years...
Curiously the record is labelled "The James Gang Bang", which was the next album with Tommy Bolin.

Fritz The Cat
03-02-2022, 03:02 AM
Irrepressible joy of playing: these three musicians went their own way. Unorthodox and daring in 1973.
No guitars. The bass guitar replaced rhythm and lead guitar. Colin Hodgkinson: one of the most creative bass players ever.
Ron Aspery sax
Tony Hicks dr

Fritz The Cat
03-02-2022, 03:42 AM
With a little help from Dave MacRae p, Bernie Holland g on 2 tracks and Peter Thorup voc
The result is another FINE mess indeed.
This one is an important album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUvdLWd5WmQ

Fritz The Cat
03-05-2022, 02:37 AM
Fantastic performance, especially by Billy Preston: Hammond Leslie live sounds!
Listen to Buddy Miles' maximum Funk-Jazz version of "Changes" B1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29liKY8lXI8
and the musicians' announcement by the chief in "Soul Stew" A1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QISOupYqTi4

Fritz The Cat
03-15-2022, 01:42 AM
From the glorious period of Dutch rock groups (Brainbox, Golden Earring, Kayak, Livin' Blues, Herman Brood & His Wild Romance, Gruppo Sportivo, Nits, Ekseption et al.)

Fritz The Cat
03-15-2022, 02:33 AM
From the glorious period of German Krautrock:
Bill Barone guitars, Harald Grosskopf dr, Jürgen Dollase kb, voc, Jerry Berkers b, voc
Produced by Dieter Dierks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejs6KATz4c0

Fritz The Cat
03-17-2022, 01:26 AM
The Thunderbirds (until 1968) included Dave Greenslade kb, Carl Palmer dr, and musicians' musician Albert Lee, guitar. "Bugs" Waddell, bass.
These tracks were recorded in Farlowe's Columbia days for 45's and a 33 album. Exception: "Stormy Monday", which was released on Sue Records. To preserve his identity (and his contract with Columbia), Farlowe called himself Little Joe Cook. Unsurprisingly some record buyers thought he was black.

Fritz The Cat
03-17-2022, 01:43 AM
"Buzz With The Fuzz" was a Mod anthem in 1965. Unfortunately someone at EMI panicked when they realised what the song was about and the 45rpm record was withdrawn after two weeks. This gave it an immediate underground reputation and has been one of the most sought after collectors items ever since: https://www.discogs.com/de/release/6325880-Chris-Farlowe-And-The-Thunderbirds-Buzz-With-The-Fuzz-Youre-The-One

Fritz The Cat
03-29-2022, 10:30 AM
Recorded at International Jazz Festival Bern/Switzerland, May 9, 1982. Jon Faddis tp, Horace Parlan p, Michael Howell b-guit, Eddy Cherry g, Mickey Roker dr.
Typical Dizzy-signature on front cover on occasion of Corso-Jazzfestival Zürich 8.-11. Mai 1985 accompanied by Ray Brown Trio.

Fritz The Cat
03-31-2022, 01:43 AM
Big surprise in a little beautiful thrift store in Schleitheim, near Schaffhausen, Switzerland:
With original autograph card: "Best wishes from Champion Jack Dupree, of New Orleans, USA, 1963". Probably written by his wife "Manager Shirley Dupree, Telephone 27 74 92 Zurich".
Original 1962 signature by Mr. Dupree himself on back cover.

Dupree's career was interrupted by military service in World War II (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II). He was a cook in the United States Navy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy) and was held by the Japanese for two years as a prisoner of war.

After the war, his biggest commercial success was "Walkin' the Blues", which he recorded as a duet with Teddy McRae (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_McRae). This led to several national tours and eventually a European tour. In 1959, he played an unofficial (and unpaid) duo gig with Alexis Korner (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_Korner) at the London School of Economics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_School_of_Economics).
Dupree moved to Europe in 1960, settling first in Switzerland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland) and then Denmark (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark) (in the anarchist-occupied Freetown Christiania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania) in Copenhagen),[7] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champion_Jack_Dupree#cite_note-7) England (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England), Sweden (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden) and, finally, Germany.[8] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champion_Jack_Dupree#cite_note-russell-8) On June 17, 1971, he played at the Montreux Jazz Festival (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreux_Jazz_Festival), in the Casino Kursaal, with King Curtis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Curtis), backed by Cornell Dupree (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_Dupree) on guitar, Jerry Jemmott (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Jemmott) on bass and Oliver Jackson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Jackson) on drums. The recording of the concert was released in 1973 as the album King Curtis & Champion Jack Dupree: Blues at Montreux on the Atlantic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Records) label. (Wikipedia)

In the 60s and 70s Champion Jack Dupree (1909 in New Orleans-1992 in Hannover) lived in Europe, because nearly nobody wanted to hear his music in USA. Europe, esp. England, Germany and (later also) Switzerland, was very interested in the original Blues music. These foreign Blues roots were very important for the development of Rock music in Europe. I remember very well those legendary concerts of Champion Jack Dupree recorded and broadcasted by German SWF3-Radio. I sat in front of the radio with a Grundig tape recorder microphone in my hand...

Fritz The Cat
03-31-2022, 03:23 AM
Great voice accompanied by the adequate studio magicians at Muscle Shoals in Miami: Jimmy Johnson g, Barry Beckett kb, David Hood b, Roger Hawkins dr.

Fritz The Cat
05-22-2022, 02:46 AM
Macht das Ohr auf: here comes German Progrock. Pruduced by Dieter Dierks, Stommeln.
Brings back memories. Big fun.

Fritz The Cat
05-23-2022, 10:30 AM
Hipgnosis cover art!
Peter Banks, g and Tony Kaye, kb Ex-Yes.
Engineered by Martin Birch at De Lane Lea Studios Wembley 1971
Produced by Derek Lawrence (Wishbone Ash, Deep Purple)
The better "Yes" or no?
Listen to "Dreams Of Heaven" B1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRKLpK2WTzU

Fritz The Cat
05-24-2022, 01:30 AM
In fact this is a Jan Akkerman Album. And it's a formidable one. Side 2 is a spontaneous jam.
We also have contributions by Steve Hackett g and John Whetton (sic!) bass on "Knights" A3.
Plus Phil Collins drums and Ray Bennett b/Mike Hough dr, members of "Flash" (see last post here)

Fritz The Cat
05-25-2022, 12:44 AM
Gene Bertoncini g, master of the acoustic guitar
Ron Carter b, Steve Gadd dr
Creed Taylor's records are as masterpiece to hear as they are to see: https://medium.com/@slishpogodi/cti-records-the-best-album-covers-cdac2e16c534

Fritz The Cat
07-05-2022, 01:29 AM
50 years of warming up. The master of the Hammond organ and the guitars is getting hotter and hotter. Listen to the swinging funky "Clickety Click" B3.

Fat Point Jack
07-22-2022, 06:27 AM
We saw them in 1972 at the Aragon Ballroom, Chicago. They opened followed by Foghat, Dr. Hook & The Kinks.
Sovereign SMAS 1115

Fritz The Cat
07-24-2022, 12:01 PM
We saw them in 1972 at the Aragon Ballroom, Chicago. They opened followed by Foghat, Dr. Hook & The Kinks.
Sovereign SMAS 1115

A forgotten gem, isn't it?

Fritz The Cat
07-31-2022, 02:05 AM
Recorded live from the studio direct to the master disc.
Some fine instrumental Jazz-excursions by "Pressure Cooker" produced and engineered by Bill Schnee: Larry Knechtel, Michael Omartian, Larry Carlton, Dean Parks, Jim Gordon, Jim Keltner, Jim Horn, Tom Scott et al.
Listen to B2 "Step in Time".

Fritz The Cat
08-14-2022, 02:17 AM
Perfectly haptic amusement for your eyes and ears.
Conor Oberst, Mike Mogis, Nathaniel Walcott

Fritz The Cat
09-07-2022, 12:38 PM
Ein Feuerwerk von grossartigen Tracks. Listen to A4 "Black Cat". Vocals by "The Master" himself, quite unusually.
Listen to the fantastic 1969 live version in German TV "Beat Club" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=numdC2ch_HI
feat: The Molly Malloy Dancers!

hjames
09-08-2022, 08:57 AM
Found this on the list of New releases at Qobuz yesterday -
a high Resolution take on the soon to be released album:
Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited Live: Seconds Out
I played a couple tracks - Firth of Fifth; and The Cinema Show -
and found them to be quite amazing and sonically rich!

I saw the original Genesis Seconds Out tour back in '76, and these recordings
are a magnificent tribute to those shows ... They nailed it!

I've got a raspberry Pi mini-computer set up with PiCorePlayer and a small display,
I can control it with my iPhone and select sources, tracks, etc ...
the Pi USB output feeds the Topping DAC underneath,
then into an Acurus RL-11 preamp and Jolida 502CRC tube amp,
then on to a pair of updated Heath Valencias.

Robh3606
09-09-2022, 03:30 PM
Hello Heather

I just saw that tour! Check out Genesis Revisited and if you have never seen Steve Hackett make a point to do so!! Well worth it his band is arguably better than the original. I saw the original tour as well at Forest Hills stadium.

Rob :)

hjames
09-09-2022, 04:24 PM
Hello Heather

I just saw that tour! Check out Genesis Revisited and if you have never seen Steve Hackett make a point to do so!! Well worth it his band is arguably better than the original. I saw the original tour as well at Forest Hills stadium.

Rob :)
Seems I missed them - they played the DC stop in May ...
but sounded like an amazing show!

Fritz The Cat
09-11-2022, 10:22 AM
Side A) live. Jon Mark and Johnny Almond ex-Mayall.
Listen to A1 "Get Yourself Together". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RTSyP93_U0
Interesting rediscovery. One from the heart for your eyes and ears.

Fritz The Cat
09-17-2022, 12:31 AM
Produced at Trident Studios in Soho by American record producer Bob Johnston (for Columbia records: Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Simon&Garfunkel, Leonard Cohen). Cit: Leonard Cohen by Wikipedia:

Bob Johnston was very sophisticated. His hospitality was extremely refined. It wasn't just a matter of turning on the machines. He created an atmosphere in the studio that really invited you to do your best, stretch out, do another take, an atmosphere that was free from judgment, free from criticism, full of invitation, full of affirmation. Just the way he'd move while you were singing: He'd dance for you. So, it wasn't all just as laissezfaire as that. Just as art is the concealment of art, laissezfaire is the concealment of tremendous generosity that he was sponsoring in the studio.
— Leonard Cohen quoted in The Stranger Music of Leonard Cohen by William Ruhlmann (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=William_Ruhlmann&action=edit&redlink=1), Goldmine

This album was the breakthrough of Lindisfarne. Listen to chart hit "Meet me on the corner" A1, sung by Ray Jackson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYidANOp6Yg

Fritz The Cat
09-19-2022, 07:16 AM
Karl Ratzer from Wien Austria. Ex Gipsy Love et al. A chameleon of Jazz guitar playing because of his ethnic roots.
Produced by Danny Weiss (Larry Coryell). Jeremy Steig fl, Bill McPhearson sax, Joe Chambers dr, eddie Gomez b, Ray Mantilla perc.
Listen to the funky one B1 "Jump Street": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kMCfgIoonw

Fritz The Cat
09-28-2022, 06:41 AM
Eric Bell, Brian Downey, Phil Lynott. With a little bit of flower power atmosphere and progressive touch. Listen to A2 "Honesty is no excuse" with thick layers of mellow tone of mellotron. A nice one. And we ask us doubtfully: will there be any artistic future for a group like this?

Fritz The Cat
10-02-2022, 10:57 AM
One for a placid autumn Sunday evening. Monty Alexander p, Ray Brown b, Frank Gant dr. Recorded at Coast Recorders San Francisco.

Fritz The Cat
10-07-2022, 12:20 AM
When this one came out in 2003 i purchased the CD immediately. But there wasn't any thrill in it for me somehow. I didn't care about it till i put this 2021 audiophile vinyl reissue on the turntable. Is it the haptic? Is it the sound? Or is it me?
Jack Bruce: one of the most seminal composers, bass players and memorable voices IMHO.
Listen to "Glory Days" B2 and go back to those glory days at the end of the sixties.

Kay Pirinha
10-07-2022, 03:15 AM
Same here. I bought the CD for it's opener, Around the Next Dream, which I still like. But the rest?

Anyway, I wish those three guys some good jamming wherever they are.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
10-28-2022, 12:17 PM
RIP

Fritz The Cat
11-10-2022, 02:46 AM
Dan McCafferty RIP. Listen to A4 "I had a dream". This is the funeral song by Pete Agnew for Dan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EjyrmpUptU Harmonium played by Dave Stewart. "I heard the lesson read, I heard the choir I saw the falling leaves, landing everywhere I saw the family gathered, crying in despair I was not there, I was not there" (Pete Agnew, 1971)

Fritz The Cat
11-24-2022, 11:22 AM
Thanks to rainy weather i made a cover repair today. There were several defects:
Brown cola stains on front picture: i had to stick on a new face, because it was irreparable destroyed (If Ian Hunter only knew...)
The fold cover was stuck together: separate it with a scalpel, stick some nice black&white fotos on the defects (an overnight angel?)
Backside was nearly irreparable: retouching of the images of the musicians, stick on a black frame around the images with some information. Apply an adhesive film (no further mishandling possible!)

Fritz The Cat
12-24-2022, 06:36 AM
This is a beautiful Christmas song for those who hate mainstream Christmas songs: A2 Winter Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZGp-w0GRJk
Merry Christmas to everybody who visits this superb Forum. Best wishes for good health in 2023! Alles Gute! Fritz The Cat

Kay Pirinha
12-24-2022, 09:04 AM
Dear Fritz,

I love this album also! Sadly, I only own it on CD, since the LP is out of print since a long time. The Seasons suite is an excellent, suberb piece of popular music! I bet you also know or even possess the Lord of the Ages album?

Happy christmas and a merry new year to everybody here!

Fritz The Cat
12-26-2022, 01:32 AM
The sleeve was torn and shabby. I had to restore it last week. It was worth it, because of the fantastic cover art by icon painter Roger Dean. This album is a lucky number. Look (!!!) here: https://www.rogerdean.com/
Look here for an interesting interview with Chris Simpson in 2011: https://www.psychedelicbabymag.com/2011/07/magna-carta-interview-with-chris.html
Anybody knows: who is the person with the glasses on front cover art? Is it Tony Cox the producer?

Fritz The Cat
01-08-2023, 02:53 AM
From the times when a guitar revealed great sounds without using computers, synthesizers and effect equipment: pure and clear. Listen to A1 "The Worm". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIObbbWMJWs
Another nearly desperate sleeve repair. It was torn and frayed. Some parts of it were usable. So another derelicted sleeve came to new purpose. Anybody recognizes its origin?

Fritz The Cat
01-12-2023, 06:28 AM
Crazy Whammy Bar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrsLg5dF7Cw
Rest In Peace

Fritz The Cat
01-20-2023, 12:13 AM
Rest in Peace. What turbulent life!
Listen to "Music is love" A1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48gtMUka-iQ

Fritz The Cat
02-16-2023, 05:04 AM
Hammond organ driven rock with funky horns. One of the best groups besides Chicago, Chase and Blood Sweat & Tears. Awesome soul-funk-jazz with great vocal work by Chuck Wheeler.
Highlights: A5 Rod Argent's "Tell Her No", A3 Holland/Dozier/Holland "Heatwave" and B4 Horace Silver's "Song For My Father" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNdXCgs9E38
Forgotten?
Has anybody further information about this one?

Fritz The Cat
03-03-2023, 02:28 AM
RIP Wayne Shorter.
Listen to the magic track "Harlequin", composed by Wayne Shorter. Here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9gj0sRBXOo

Wardsweb
03-03-2023, 05:38 AM
Great Album

Fritz The Cat
03-15-2023, 05:17 AM
A gem out of the early Vertigo years. The label logo has still a little magic to me. The condition of this piece of vinyl is still superb, but the sleeve had to be repaired. Obviously it was stored some years in a wine cellar: it has matured well...

Fritz The Cat
03-22-2023, 01:08 AM
Duke and Gonzo rushing to paradise. A fine vinyl pressing. D-side Laser etched. Art work by Ralph Steadman (not credited on sleeve)
Listen to "Tammy" by Debbie Reynolds, remembering good times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO_3SFwpR1g

Fritz The Cat
04-04-2023, 11:47 AM
RIP.
Listen to A2 "Etude": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOq5hm8C_M
Look here: https://epaper.shn.ch/issue.act?issueId=987549&issueMutation=SHN&issueDate=20230404&region=BT1

Fritz The Cat
04-07-2023, 01:25 AM
Suitable for this Good Friday morning. Medieval atmosphere.

Fritz The Cat
04-07-2023, 01:59 AM
Also suitable for a Good Friday morning. Six Japanese composers: Haruomi Hosono, Tatsuro Yamashita, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Shigero Suzuki, Masataka Matsutoya, Takahiko Ishikawa
Listen to the happy-go-lucky A5 "Nostalgia of Island" by Tatsuro Yamashita
Front cover picture shows colorful boredom on paradise island. Is this congruent to the music style close to muzak?

Fritz The Cat
04-07-2023, 03:38 AM
Remembering my first Pop/Beat impressions in my youth. This TV-series was broadcasted every Saturday (?) evening for half an hour in German TV ZDF in 1967/68. 58 sequels in black and white. But the music was colorful! The Monkees! What influences to my juvenile ears.
https://www.fernsehserien.de/die-monkees/episodenguide
Listen to the Monkees theme A1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKs43dHBSWA

Fritz The Cat
04-16-2023, 01:24 AM
Live at Red Rocks Amphitheatre Colorado August 2022. Triple LP 180gr vinyl. All compositions by Joe Bonamassa himself with the exception of a magic version of Gary Moore's "Midnight Blues" D3.
Look out! May 1 2023 Hallenstadion Zurich Swiss guitar event of the year! Staggering joy of guitar playing guaranteed on "Labor Day". Concert organized by: https://allblues.ch/konzerte/zuerich/01-05-2023/joe-bonamassa

Fritz The Cat
04-20-2023, 11:35 PM
One of the first Scandinavian prog bands, blending jazz-rock with R&B, blues and psychedelia.
Listen to A2 "Canaltrip": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL_dvZHrTrw

Fritz The Cat
04-29-2023, 09:13 AM
Big surprise in a little beautiful thrift store in Schleitheim, near Schaffhausen, Switzerland:
With original autograph card: "Best wishes from Champion Jack Dupree, of New Orleans, USA, 1963". Probably written by his wife "Manager Shirley Dupree, Telephone 27 74 92 Zurich".
Original 1962 signature by Mr. Dupree himself on back cover.

Dupree's career was interrupted by military service in World War II (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II). He was a cook in the United States Navy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy) and was held by the Japanese for two years as a prisoner of war.

After the war, his biggest commercial success was "Walkin' the Blues", which he recorded as a duet with Teddy McRae (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_McRae). This led to several national tours and eventually a European tour. In 1959, he played an unofficial (and unpaid) duo gig with Alexis Korner (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_Korner) at the London School of Economics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_School_of_Economics).
Dupree moved to Europe in 1960, settling first in Switzerland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland) and then Denmark (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark) (in the anarchist-occupied Freetown Christiania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania) in Copenhagen),[7] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champion_Jack_Dupree#cite_note-7) England (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England), Sweden (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden) and, finally, Germany.[8] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champion_Jack_Dupree#cite_note-russell-8) On June 17, 1971, he played at the Montreux Jazz Festival (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreux_Jazz_Festival), in the Casino Kursaal, with King Curtis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Curtis), backed by Cornell Dupree (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_Dupree) on guitar, Jerry Jemmott (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Jemmott) on bass and Oliver Jackson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Jackson) on drums. The recording of the concert was released in 1973 as the album King Curtis & Champion Jack Dupree: Blues at Montreux on the Atlantic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Records) label. (Wikipedia)

In the 60s and 70s Champion Jack Dupree (1909 in New Orleans-1992 in Hannover) lived in Europe, because nearly nobody wanted to hear his music in USA. Europe, esp. England, Germany and (later also) Switzerland, was very interested in the original Blues music. These foreign Blues roots were very important for the development of Rock music in Europe. I remember very well those legendary concerts of Champion Jack Dupree recorded and broadcasted by German SWF3-Radio. I sat in front of the radio with a Grundig tape recorder microphone in my hand...

Though it was pressed and issued in USA, this was the very first Blues LP in Switzerland. Sadly the Swiss musicians were not noted on the sleeve due to legal causes between Folkways Records and Storyville Records, where Champion Jack was courtesy of. The musicians: blues afficionado Chris Lange guitar, Fritz Rüegg bass, Bobby Leutwiler Waschbrett. It was recorded at Kirchgemeindehaus Zurich-Leimbach in 1961. The piano was not tuned. So, it's a funny listening...