PDA

View Full Version : What's Playing Now

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Hoerninger
04-04-2007, 01:56 PM
.i always thought willy was german.........
I did so too ... du Schelm!

SEAWOLF97
04-04-2007, 02:35 PM
my bad...i always thought willy was german.........oh well.........still beggars banquet should be in your collection....on sacd if possible.note.....taking my musical advice can lead to bankruptcy,divorce or both....but with a great soundtrack

I thot Struder / Revox was Swiss.

SEAWOLF97
04-04-2007, 03:48 PM
A taste of India - Ragas by R. Shankar

scubadude
04-04-2007, 08:44 PM
that comment was not directed at you nor was any offense taken by your post.theres been a bit of acrimony lately and you just walked in the middle of a gunfight and got your hat shot off.stick around a while.i think new orleans is underrepresented here anyhow.

Jim, thanks for the PM explaining the situation. I know you didn't have to do that but I'm glad you did.

SeaWolf97, sorry for misinterpreting the post and directing my discontent toward you. Guess I jumped the gun, so to speak :) Please accept my humble apology.

PS: Anyone seen my hat??

jim campbell
04-04-2007, 10:32 PM
welcome back dood

SEAWOLF97
04-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Jim, thanks for the PM explaining the situation. I know you didn't have to do that but I'm glad you did.

SeaWolf97, sorry for misinterpreting the post and directing my discontent toward you. Guess I jumped the gun, so to speak :) Please accept my humble apology.

PS: Anyone seen my hat??

no lo problemo :)

jim campbell
04-05-2007, 04:11 PM
my bad, should be welcome back y'all

jim campbell
04-05-2007, 04:14 PM
okay back on topic....john scofield..............who's who with a cast of,well a bunch...........novus series 70

Hoerninger
04-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Once I heard a guitarist in the radio. His music tended to blues in a very classical way, I liked it. It was live as far as I remember.

Could it have been your mentioned John Scofield?
(Although in the WWW he is called a jazz musician.)

SEAWOLF97
04-06-2007, 09:10 AM
I've always liked Fogerty and CCR. Back when I was doing the Napster thing, I downloaded an album called "Roskilde '97" . It is John in concert in Europe somewhere...Germany ? Sweeden ? He speaks simple stinted English with the crowd.

...Anybody know ?

Hoerninger
04-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Havnt found anything on the web on this...Anybody know ?

... eh?
Roskilde, Danmark, each year, lots of people, many bands on several stages.(Woodstock in small)
http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/index.php?code=1
.. and more photos:
http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/object.php?obj=7dc000c&code=1

http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/db/images/orange_scene_65nk6763_10.jpg http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/db/images/camping_og_soeer_fredag_1730_65nk6768_photo_by_roc kphoto0.jpghttp://www.roskilde-festival.dk/db/images/dsc014290.jpghttp://www.roskilde-festival.dk/db/images/kristian_mouridsen3_mouridsen_mailme_dk_0.jpg
http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/db/images/telteoverblik_torben_schroeder_10.jpghttp://www.roskilde-festival.dk/db/images/myten_om_slamsugningen_by_rune_johansen_05_10.jpg
http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/db/files/6_photo_by_thomas_kjaer_1.jpg

SEAWOLF97
04-06-2007, 09:38 AM
... eh?
Roskilde, Danmark, each year, lots of people, many bands on several stages.(Woodstock in small)
http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/index.php?code=1

thanx Peter, looks like many well known groups. I had never heard of this festival.

jim campbell
04-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Once I heard a guitarist in the radio. His music tended to blues in a very classical way, I liked it. It was life as far as I remember.

Could it have been your mentioned John Scofield?
(Although in the WWW he is called a jazz musician.)
scofield is more in the avant garde jazz vein unless he changed in recent years.if you are into blues i can probably recommend some .what kind are you into.i cant think of anyone off hand that plays blues with a classical influence unless you mean "classic blues"if you mean that as traditional there is tons out there,great stuff but the sound quality varies.two of my favorite of the more up tempo albums are hoodoo man blues.......junior wells,and i am the blues ............willie dixon.for a more traditional style try muddy waters......folk singer.its like a bottomless pit and one album always seems
__to lead to a hundred others_________now i gotta go put on some texas blues guitar...........mance lipscombe

jim campbell
04-06-2007, 10:20 AM
thanx Peter, looks like many well known groups. I had never heard of this festival.
if you are packing up the win-a- bagel to do the festival tour the winnipeg hippie fest is a good one second weekend in july.check artists @ winnipeg folk festival music store ..........and i buy a lot of albums there as well.

hjames
04-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Maybe you mean Sapphire Blue, by Larry Carlton ...?
Lush blues based stuff by a session jazzmaster (played with Steely Dan and others)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012FX54/104-0904931-7259949

Highly recommended and available for $7.50 in used condition!

scofield is more in the avant garde jazz vein unless he changed in recent years.if you are into blues i can probably recommend some .what kind are you into.i cant think of anyone off hand that plays blues with a classical influence unless you mean "classic blues"if you mean that as traditional there is tons out there,great stuff but the sound quality varies.two of my favorite of the more up tempo albums are hoodoo man blues.......junior wells,and i am the blues ............willie dixon.for a more traditional style try muddy waters......folk singer.its like a bottomless pit and one album always seems
__to lead to a hundred others_________now i gotta go put on some texas blues guitar...........mance lipscombe

SEAWOLF97
04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
if you are packing up the win-a- bagel to do the festival tour the winnipeg hippie fest is a good one second weekend in july.check artists @ winnipeg folk festival music store ..........and i buy a lot of albums there as well.

wud only pack up the 540 for a road trip to Win-a-peg, IF there were some Wilsons up and running for me to demo while there..:applaud:

Hoerninger
04-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Could it have been your mentioned John Scofield? I must apologize, I have meant Matt Schofield from Manchester (GB). He has been described as being talked of as the finest Blues guitarist to have emerged in Europe for several generations, perhaps even in the World. (http://www.mattschofield.com/biography.php)

[Finally I have retrieved my memo - isn't Scofield /Schofield the same as Meier / Mayer? :blink: ]

Jim, I must admit that I do not know all your names and titles, not everything swashes over the Atlantic. Blues, for me it is mainly the rythm, some (more or less senseless) text and not too depressiv. Chuck Berry did it:

Ramblin Rose
C.C.Rider
Good Lovin' Woman
Goodnight It's Time To Go
My heart will always belong to you
I do really love you
Have mercy, Judge
Christmas

NP: Sam Mcclain "Joy and Pain" live in Germany 1997 (Soul Blues) .

jim campbell
04-06-2007, 06:08 PM
[quote=Hoerninger;161141]I must apologize, I have meant Matt Schofield from Manchester (GB). He has been described as being talked of as the finest Blues guitarist to have emerged in Europe for several generations, perhaps even in the World. (http://www.mattschofield.com/biography.php)

[Finally I have retrieved my memo - isn't Scofield /Schofield the same as Meier / Mayer? :blink:[/quote ]

Jim, I must admit that I do not know all your names and titles, not everything swashes over the Atlantic. john scofield is a new york based guitarist that spent time with miles davis.at one time the blues was not popular in north america until clapton,mayall et all repackaged it and sold it over here.after a time folks started to ask who this muddy waters or willie dixon is as the names kept turning up on led zep and other records.it led to a treasure trove of stuff which is along with jazz a truly american artform.if you get sat radio its well worth the time to explore.here most everyone likes the chicago up tempo blues style but i am more into the
more traditional forms.there are many regional styles and when blues and country met gospel i believe rock and roll was born.now i gotta go find out about this guy from manchester

Bonder
04-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Janis Ian - Folk is the new Black
Jeffrey Foucault - Ghost Repeater

jim campbell
04-07-2007, 09:22 AM
neil young................live at the fillmore

SEAWOLF97
04-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Clapton - Just 1 Night

His best, IMHO - before he got lazy

Ducatista47
04-08-2007, 05:33 PM
This was recommended By Ken some time ago and I finally bagged it. Instantly one of my favorite recordings of all time. The quality holds up really well, too. Sort of an "in the room" feel to it, spatially. It is the Mobile Fidelity SL version.

I have been a fan of Muddy nearly all my life, even sneaking into a club underage to hear him live. This CD is my new favorite.

Clark in Peoria

Steve Schell
04-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Clark, my Cogent Loudspeakers partner and I have used an LP of Folk Singer as demo material at several shows and it is a crowd pleaser. People pile into the room to hear Muddy in this super real sounding recording... just dynamite!

Ken Pachkowsky
04-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Yep, it's a winner.

Enjoy:D

Ken

jim campbell
04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
and now for something completely different............steve tibbetts........exploded view...................traffic................john barleycorn

SEAWOLF97
04-09-2007, 08:46 AM
No Quarter - Page & Plant

ripped to my pod and listened last night -

"Brittan meets the middle East"

Quite Enjoyable.

Hoerninger
04-09-2007, 01:45 PM
No Quarter - Page & Plant

Appreciated, it is your Birthday! But the LP version. :)

Later on, 1967 live in Stockholm :bouncy:
(P) 1997 Heartbeat Productions, made in South Korea
purchased last year (eBay)

The Electric Prunes
You never had it better
I had too much to dream
Try me on for size
I happen to love you
I got my mojo workin'
Long day's flight
Smokestack lightning
Get me to the world on time

Peter

SEAWOLF97
04-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Around and Around - Rolling Stones

kinda bubble gummy (dum ditty ?) - not what you expect from Mick & crew
cant find this title listed, it was a p2p dl.

SEAWOLF97
04-12-2007, 08:39 AM
! But the LP version. :) Peter

Hey Peter,

You and me and Jim and Heather gotta have a party. We all have just about the same taste in musik.

TOM

I hope Jim brings the $77,000 speakers.....:bouncy:

hjames
04-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Really?
lately its been the Clash, and then Brand X - 'cause some of Phil Collins best drumming is on "Unorthodox Behaviour"

i wanna hear the nice speakers, too!

Hey Peter,

You and me and Jim and Heather gotta have a party. We all have just about the same taste in musik.

TOM

SEAWOLF97
04-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Really?
lately its been the Clash, and then Brand X - 'cause some of Phil Collins best drumming is on "Unorthodox Behaviour"

i wanna hear the nice speakers, too!

yeah ,I like the Clash too. London Calling (http://www.google.com/musics?lid=1DrxkR4jUxB&aid=-ndXFXJEdsG&sid=RvcKxKPCR_D) , The Magnificent Seven (http://www.google.com/musics?lid=1DrxkR4jUxB&aid=-ndXFXJEdsG&sid=cic2dP-kUgN) , Rock the Casbah (http://www.google.com/musics?lid=1DrxkR4jUxB&aid=-ndXFXJEdsG&sid=c6Xg9Zc94dO) , Should I Stay or Should I Go (http://www.google.com/musics?lid=1DrxkR4jUxB&aid=-ndXFXJEdsG&sid=BuiEZvTHgxL), Train in Vain . really a great punk group.

Hoerninger
04-12-2007, 11:29 AM
You and me and Jim and Heather gotta have a party.

Tom, fine! :rockon1: Cyberspace?

Which one? Gimmi a stream and ParagonXXL will do :blah: :blah:

Really?
lately its been the Clash, and then Brand XNo clue :blink:

This evening I want to listen to

Mussorgsky
Eine Nacht auf dem kahlen Berge
Londoner Symphonie-Orchester
Leopold Stokowsky
(LP, DECCA, Phase 4 stereo)

I had the joy to listen to this one some decades ago with an electrostatic speaker Infinity Servostatic I, incredible- sort of reminiscence.
And then follows

R.Strauss
Also sprach Zarathrustra op.30
Berliner Philharmoniker
Karl Böhm
(LP, Deutsche Grammophon,
Grand Prix Du Disque - Paris)

This beautiful recording I would like to listen to with the new Everest.

Hoerninger
04-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Around and Around - Rolling Stones
not what you expect from Mick & crew

This was a very typical one from their beginning. Not as good as for example Jump Back (Best of ...) or Bridges to Babylon.

Titles:
Around and Around / Good Times,Bad Times / It's All Over Now / Emptys Heart / Confessin' The Blues / Not Fade Away /
Bye, Bye Jonny / You Better Move On / I Wanna Be Your Man / 2120 South Michigan Avenue / If You Need Me / Poison Ivy

jim campbell
04-12-2007, 03:54 PM
a salty dog ..........procol harum.....im guessin that the wolf has this one

SEAWOLF97
04-12-2007, 08:50 PM
a salty dog ..........procol harum.....im guessin that the wolf has this one

yup , but I liked "live in Edmunton"

jim campbell
04-15-2007, 07:32 PM
skynerd...........street survivors.........has to happen frequently......good mental health and all that

Hoerninger
04-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Now playing:

Matt Schofield
the trio
live

Blues - yes, in a Brian Auger style.
Fine drumming, pronounced bass ...organ as indicated.

[ Contacted Amazon.de
ordered from Caiman Amerika
delivered from Auckland, New Zealand - what a way ]

jim campbell
04-18-2007, 06:41 PM
john renbourne....sir johnalot.............

SEAWOLF97
04-19-2007, 08:46 AM
john renbourne....sir johnalot.............

I had that....on vinyl. Think my dotter took it to Germany.

SEAWOLF97
04-19-2007, 09:32 AM
What is up with spelling daughter - dotter?

-Storm

Aww , BozoBoy..... now I've got my very own spelling tutter, and a HS dropout at that !! Keep up the good work. Good For You. !!!!!

jim campbell
04-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Wow, you are such a clever guy!

;)

Again - I thought you said you had me on ignore. If you did, you would be be bothering replying.

Please explain...you must like conflict, then -- don't you?

-Stormaside from the fact that you are way off topic,and that no one here asked you to be the arbiter of all things especially spelling,will you please stop this juvenile nonsense.it got old a long time ago and only underscores a pathetic need to draw attention to yourself by annoying others.perhaps a visit to your local armed forces recruiter would be in order.if you dont tell im told they wont ask,and im sure your superior spelling skills would be an asset

Rolf
04-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Please stop this thread

jim campbell
04-19-2007, 10:25 AM
there is nothing wrong with the thread,and its my favorite,we just need storm to stop antagonizing the grown ups

Storm
04-19-2007, 10:26 AM
there is nothing wrong with the thread,and its my favorite,we just need storm to stop antagonizing the grown ups

Likewise, Jim.

What makes you a grown up, and not I?

Comments like that you know are going to get under my skin and you are looking for a response.

I deleted my previous posts in this thread, I hope you do the same.

Have a great day!

:)

-Storm

hjames
04-19-2007, 10:30 AM
How 'bout this perspective - if you aren't in this thread to specifically talk about the music AND ONLY THE MUSIC, get the H@ll out of the thread.

jim campbell
04-19-2007, 10:43 AM
i'll buy that,heather.........last night at work in the f150 i got a chance to revisit tom waits,blue valentine...........di track.......... postcard from a hooker in minneapolis..........

Rolf
04-19-2007, 11:19 AM
So you think you need this thread? For what? To tell .. like I have done s several times, what you are listening to?

Get a grip ... all of you music lovers.

hjames
04-19-2007, 11:22 AM
So you think you need this thread? For what? To tell .. like I have done s several times, what you are listening to?

Get a grip ... all of you music lovers.

Come swaggering in here like that ...
- and you call US cowboys!
:applaud:

Rolf
04-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Come swaggering in here like that ...
- and you call US cowboys!

Yes ... some of you are cowboys. Some other not. But do we really need a thread like this, telling each other what we listen to when we are drunk? ???????

Rolf
04-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Keep the line ... I'm not drunk.

Doug.... yop ... you not ... what about the rest of us?

hjames
04-19-2007, 12:46 PM
But - if it doesn't matter to the owners of the website that folks talk about music in here, why should you care?

I don't usually comment in this thread - I look at it, I read it, sometimes an album gets mentioned that makes me smile with a memory of a song, or a summer or a special time ... and sometimes I'll say something if a memory is particularly sweet

but again - why do you care?

If you don't get anything from the thread - stay out - at least its on topic on a website about music and musical equipment ...

Yes ... some of you are cowboys. Some other not. But do we really need a thread like this, telling each other what we listen to when we are drunk? ???????

whizzer
04-19-2007, 12:56 PM
I'd like to mention that this thread is the one thread I check every day. I've been turned on to some very good music I might not ever have even heard of otherwise. If all we did was like equipment, we'd be ignoring the very reason for that equipment.
And by the way, I've been listening to Abraxas a lot (again) lately, too. Is Carlos the best ever at expressing emotion through a guitar or what?

Rolf
04-19-2007, 01:05 PM
OK. I understand that I have been wrong. A lot here seems to enjoy this thread, not like me.

I salute you, and will leave you. Enjoy!

SEAWOLF97
04-19-2007, 01:53 PM
And by the way, I've been listening to Abraxas a lot (again) lately, too. Is Carlos the best ever at expressing emotion through a guitar or what?

Completely agree ....see

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15806

jim campbell
04-19-2007, 01:59 PM
we had a guitarist thread going pretty darn good for a while there and it 's probably worth a visit from time to time.the beauty of our era is that there are tons of great players out there.the downside is not having time to hear em all

JBL 4645
04-19-2007, 02:14 PM
I’ve been playing and listening to John Williams and James Horner.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/Brainstorm3417/Star_wars_new_hope_BMG.jpg

John Williams Star Wras Episdoe IV A New Hope sections of the various tracks that I played in Dolby Pro-Logic II Music Mode, where score goes really crazy with string instruments panning and fading in and out of the fronts and surrounds as well, now the trickery of the Dolby Pro-Logic II mode when analyzed carefully with film soundtracks does show a few faults of crosstalk between what should playing up front. Still it’s good a feature as it stands for non Dolby dts 5.1 music tracks.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/Brainstorm3417/TITANICdtsCD.jpg

Switching to James Horner Titanic in dts 6 channel 20 bit does sound very surprising with lots of low end support and individual placement of instruments over the three-screen fronts. Split-surrounds fade in at different moments and are completely isolated from crosstalk add terrific harmony on track 14 “My Heart Will Go On” (Celine Dion).

I almost to forget to mention the LEF.1 support, this gives an extra muscular oomph down to 25Hz on the JBL 4645 Control 5 adds transparency while surrounds made up of 6 JBL control 1 in standard surround mode, immerse down the side and rear walls.:applaud: Now taht's surround.

Regrettably it’s the only dts CD that I have apart from a (dts set-up disc) and a (music demonstration CD) from 1999.

SEAWOLF97
04-19-2007, 06:33 PM
And by the way, I've been listening to Abraxas a lot (again) lately, too.

On Abraxas , there are 3 tunes run together and usually referred to collectively as "Black Magic Woman"
- they are actually - 1.) singing winds, crying beasts 2.) BMW 3.) Gypsy Queen

In the final 30 seconds of Gypsy Queen there are 3 incredible full chord WHAMS in a row leading into that stupendous feedback scream right before "Oye, Como Va". This sequence is the most powerful in all of Rock, IMHO. At concert volume, it gives me goosebumps.

jim campbell
04-19-2007, 07:04 PM
On Abraxas , there are 3 tunes run together and usually referred to collectively as "Black Magic Woman"
- they are actually - 1.) singing winds, crying beasts 2.) BMW 3.) Gypsy Queen

In the final 30 seconds of Gypsy Queen there are 3 incredible full chord WHAMS in a row leading into that stupendous feedback scream right before "Oye, Como Va". This sequence is the most powerful in all of Rock, IMHO. At concert volume, it gives me goosebumps.when my l 300 setup was in its heyday jingo at warp 9 was the goose bump track.after abraxas santana 3

SEAWOLF97
04-19-2007, 07:07 PM
when my l 300 setup was in its heyday jingo at warp 9 was the goose bump track.after abraxas santana 3

Jim

You must be sykick ( jump on that one, S.) , I was listening to Santana 3 on the pod last night. It was their last great album.

jim campbell
04-19-2007, 07:14 PM
tell your daw-ter you want your record bak

SEAWOLF97
04-19-2007, 07:58 PM
tell your daw-ter you want your record bak

shirley , I will.......:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

jim campbell
04-20-2007, 06:36 PM
and now for something completely different............mccoy tyner..............supertrios

SEAWOLF97
04-21-2007, 08:48 AM
I listen to a lot of MP3's. Music from the 60's and 70's usually has noise/tape hiss, which is annoying.
Started playing around in Nero and found the "wave editor" . Its nice for chopping out or splicing in cuts from albumwraps.
It also has a noise reduction feature where you can play with the "gain floor". If you are careful with the settings, the older tunes can sound almost like the ones recorded today.

My only gold MFSL disk is Abraxas and I've really made a great sounding version with Nero.

Maybe a solution for those that like classic music on a limited budget.

JBL 4645
04-21-2007, 10:05 AM
I’ve got Classic FM at the movies now play with Simon Bates “kids in the Movies” one lovable and very moving theme playing now is John Williams wonderfully orchestrated E.T. truly magical!:applaud::cool::p

http://images.radcity.net/6440/1520368.gif
http://www.classicfm.com/

JBL 4645
04-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Arr yes lets have some more from (2001: A Space Odyssey) make it loud on the JBL sound system!http://www.spielbergfilms.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://www.spielbergfilms.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Johann Strauss (ii): By The Beautiful Blue Danube Opus 314

SEAWOLF97
04-21-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm not much on the Jefferson Airplane, but was listening to Paul Kantner's
"Blows against the Empire" - A Child is coming - and thot it very nice.

jim campbell
04-21-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm not much on the Jefferson Airplane, but was listening to Paul Kantner's
"Blows against the Empire" - A Child is coming - and thot it very nice.volunteers...........i still think ja's version of wooden ships is better than the original .............waiting for lightning bolt .........phew.........

JBL 4645
04-22-2007, 11:44 AM
It might be a naff local radio station called WAVE 105FM, but “Stand By Me” sounds ok in my books.

http://www.wave105.com/

SEAWOLF97
04-23-2007, 11:55 AM
been on a Cat Stevens trend lately, despite GWB's security thinking he is such a terrorist threat that his presence is a danger to America !!

Tea for the Tillerman
Catch bull at 4
Buddah and the chocolate box

JBL 4645
04-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Just been listening to (Jean Sibelius: Finlandia Opus 26) on Classic FM with late night Lisa she’s the babe with a sweet voice on the airwaves at night-time.

The first time I heard this classical piece was back in 1990 Die Hard 2 during the end credits it was moving sombre piece that placed my mind in a relaxed mood with up-moving string movements then dropping down to a mellow mood loving I just like hearing (Finlandia Opus 26) from time to time.:)

http://images.radcity.net/6440/1520355.gif
http://www.classicfm.com/

jim campbell
04-23-2007, 07:26 PM
just got my amazon order from january 7,including guy clark live from austin tx and maria muldaur,richland woman blues which sounds great.........

whizzer
04-24-2007, 05:58 AM
3/5 of a mile in 10 seconds
Jefferson Airplane, Surrealistic Pillow

Hoerninger
04-24-2007, 01:42 PM
3/5 of a mile in 10 seconds
Jefferson Airplane, Surrealistic Pillow
Fine LP as a whole, thanks for reminding!

NP: RS, Between the Buttons

SEAWOLF97
04-25-2007, 09:00 AM
XM was just playing - Steve Miller "key to the hi-way". Very good blues-ish

SEAWOLF97
04-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I've been listening to "gypsy queen" and "a child is coming" and it just hit me......I really like controlled feedback. Its like a unique instrument when done right.

Ooops...I guess this post belongs in the "feedback forum" ? :)

Storm
04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
The best of Fourplay...

Fred Sanford
04-25-2007, 04:32 PM
I've been listening to "gypsy queen" and "a child is coming" and it just hit me......I really like controlled feedback. Its like a unique instrument when done right.

Ooops...I guess this post belongs in the "feedback forum" ? :)

I love controlled feedback, and practice it whenever possible. Must be annoying to listen to me practice, though...

The band 'School Of Fish' used it a lot, among others. Their first album is a favorite of mine, "Human Cannonball" (their second album) less so but still good with really chewy guitar tones. The drum/percussion sounds on the song "Fuzzed & Faded" are pretty large, too.

je

SEAWOLF97
04-25-2007, 04:59 PM
I love controlled feedback, and practice it whenever possible. je

Cool , I'm glad someone else does , too.

I was referring to Santana on "Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen" and Jefferson Starship "A child is born/It's getting Better".

Both are really, really done well.

whizzer
04-26-2007, 04:32 AM
I just got finished making a cd from an old LP I haven't had a chance to hear for awhile and listened to it in the car on my way to work this morning--Super Session, Michael Bloomfield, Steven Stills, and Al Kooper with an equally stellar supporting cast--it reconfirmed my long-standing estimation of this recording's version of "Season of the Witch" as the best I've heard.

SEAWOLF97
04-26-2007, 07:18 AM
I just got finished making a cd from an old LP I haven't had a chance to hear for awhile and listened to it in the car on my way to work this morning--Super Session, Michael Bloomfield, Steven Stills, and Al Kooper with an equally stellar supporting cast--it reconfirmed my long-standing estimation of this recording's version of "Season of the Witch" as the best I've heard.

agreed. that cut always gets put on my pod, along with Bloomfield in Blood,Sweat and Tears "I love you more than you'll ever know"

SEAWOLF97
04-30-2007, 09:28 AM
XM was playing STEPHEN STILLS - Man Alive "The Spanish Suite"....was really quite good, not what you expect from him.

SEAWOLF97
05-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Screamin' Jay Hawkins - The Constipation Blues

( Tired of the same ol' crap ?? I guarantee this is different from anything you have ever heard :D )

JBL 4645
05-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Composer (Howard Shore) was voted number 1 in yesterday’s top 50, countdown voted by the listeners of Classic FM as best movie score “The Lord of the Rings”. I think this is the second year running now.

BMWCCA
05-07-2007, 10:00 PM
I just got finished making a cd from an old LP I haven't had a chance to hear for awhile and listened to it in the car on my way to work this morning--Super Session, Michael Bloomfield, Steven Stills, and Al Kooper with an equally stellar supporting cast--it reconfirmed my long-standing estimation of this recording's version of "Season of the Witch" as the best I've heard.There's also a remastered CD version that includes some extras like the version without the "horns added as an afterthought". Sounds weird after all these years. Still one of my favorites. The back story in the re-released CD is amusing, about how Bloomfield failed to show up for the second day in the studio so Stills was called in on an emergency basis.

whizzer
05-08-2007, 04:54 AM
There's also a remastered CD version that includes some extras like the version without the "horns added as an afterthought". Sounds weird after all these years. Still one of my favorites. The back story in the re-released CD is amusing, about how Bloomfield failed to show up for the second day in the studio so Stills was called in on an emergency basis.

Now that's a tidbit I didn't know. Given Bloomfield's early efforts to combine rock-blues sensibilities with jazz (which had been attempted by Love, as well), I'd never have thought of the horns as "afterthoughts." I got the remastered version you mentioned, and I have to say you're right--after listening all these years and not realizing the "afterthought" nature of the horns, it sounds weird to me without them.

Ducatista47
05-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Nothing wrong with the other versions, but Season of the Witch by Dr John and the Blues Brothers Band gets my number one vote. Then again, my taste in music sends people running from the room.;)

I saw Bloomfield live in Chicago. He was really most excellent, but I think Stills was/is probably the more talented musician. Saw him live in Buffalo Springfield and CSNY's first non-Woodstock concert. They actually said, "We've never played together before!"

Missed Stills with Manassas for lack of a few dollars for a ticket. It was in the Bradley University fieldhouse, and almost nobody showed. It was reported to me that he said something like, "At least you bothered to show up. Well, we're going to give you one hell of a show." And they did, one of the best ever.

Clark in Peoria

jim campbell
05-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Nothing wrong with the other versions, but Season of the Witch by Dr John and the Blues Brothers Band gets my number one vote. Then again, my taste in music sends people running from the room.;)

I saw Bloomfield live in Chicago. He was really most excellent, but I think Stills was/is probably the more talented musician. Saw him live in Buffalo Springfield

Clark in Peoriagotta agree that stills was a huge part of the reason that csny made some great music.glad to hear that it plays in peoria.im hot and cold w/dr john on any given day but as far as the blues bros albums go i just could not find anything that improved on the originals.id take sam and dave any old day.crosby and nash only make it for me in the context of their other bands and the solo stuff just eludes me.young is still the go to guy for me and has been since ,well, forever

hjames
05-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Missed Stills with Manassas for lack of a few dollars for a ticket. It was in the Bradley University fieldhouse, and almost nobody showed. It was reported to me that he said something like, "At least you bothered to show up. Well, we're going to give you one hell of a show." And they did, one of the best ever.

Clark in Peoria

Yeah - I caught Stills Manassas tour when he played Meriweather Post pavilion in Maryland (Fri Aug 11, 1972 - I have a scary collection of ticket stubbs) Very fine show - I still enjoy that first Manassas album...

Ducatista47
05-08-2007, 08:32 PM
...young is still the go to guy for me and has been since ,well, forever

I have to confess, I'm busted. I have been such a huge fan of Neil Young for so long it is almost embarassing to talk about it. He has been my favorite musician and favorite songsmith for most of the last thirty-nine years. As much as twenty years at a time. If I had not been turned on to heavy jazz in 1975 or so, I am not sure I would have other musicians to call heroes.

I feel so strongly about the talent of Neil Young I rarely speak of it. Kind of private, like faith. I suppose some of you feel the same way about a musician or two you have been exposed to by life's circumstances. The power that music has to move a soul is truly a wonder.

Clark in Peoria

grumpy
05-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Sara Tavares ... (Portuguese?).
Not my usual fare, but I'm enjoying it. :)
Title track

Balancê (http://www.saratavares.com/)

convinced me to purchase...

-grumpy

SEAWOLF97
05-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Just watched DVD of "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" -1973

(James Coburn , Kris Kristofferson. Bob Dylan)

the whole soundtrack is Bob Dylan and I had never heard many of the songs except for "Knocking on Heavens Door" ....was really a decent soundtrack and a hoot to see a young 31 y.o. Dylan.

jim campbell
05-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Just watched DVD of "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" -1973

(James Coburn , Kris Kristofferson. Bob Dylan)

the whole soundtrack is Bob Dylan and I had never heard many of the songs except for "Knocking on Heavens Door" ....was really a decent soundtrack and a hoot to see a young 31 y.o. Dylan.i just bought that...and fat city,with stacey keach..........scarecrow with hackman and pacino,atlantic city......and john lennon v the usa

Steve K
05-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Creedence Clearwarter Revival's remastered box set. Interesting to see how their music changes over the years. But wow, they could play!
Also, Nana Mouskouri singing jazz in New York. I particularly like her rendition of Hold Me, Thrill Me. Both great audio-wise, as well.

SEAWOLF97
05-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Creedence Clearwarter Revival's remastered box set.

The Creedence Clearwater REVISITED double CD is petty nice too, same great sound, but sonically much better as recorded in the last couple of years. see link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Recollection-Creedence-Clearwater-Revisited/dp/B000088E56/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2174322-8276849?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1178895961&sr=8-1

I saw CCR in SF at a horse racing track in '68/69. They previewed a song from their upcoming record ..."I put a spell on you" . Canned Heat played too. Ended up being a FREE concert,

The tickets were sold out and too many were waiting to come in, SO they just trampled the fence over and we all walked in. :applaud:

found all this when searching for the date (all I remember was CCR & CH, must have been "elsewhere" for some of the other sets)

.................................................. .................................................. .

San Francisco International Pop Festival, Alameda Co. Fairgrounds, Pleasanton CA 10/26-27/1968. CCR w/Johnny Rivers, Jose Feliciano, Eric Burdon & The Animals, Iron Butterfly, Deep Purple, Canned Heat, and others

fotodan
05-12-2007, 05:43 AM
Dreams, Dreams, Dreams, by Chilliwack.

Steve K
05-12-2007, 07:20 AM
... (all I remember was CCR & CH, must have been "elsewhere" for some of the other sets)

Those were the days, huh? My first experience of a festival-type concert was the first California Jam at Orange Speedway in Southern California back in '74. I remember Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, and maybe Seals & Croft...but I was "elsewhere", too.:applaud:

SEAWOLF97
05-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Those were the days, huh? My first experience of a festival-type concert was the first California Jam at Orange Speedway in Southern California back in '74. I remember Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, and maybe Seals & Croft...but I was "elsewhere", too.:applaud:

Its weird , I saw Ravi Shankar , took photos (still have the negs) , but cant figure out when and where it was. was going to school in the Bay area, geeze there were great concerts constantly , all over the place.

jim campbell
05-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Dreams, Dreams, Dreams, by Chilliwack.funny but i just found their best of for 6 canuckbucks mostly for nostalgia.back in the day i had both albums of the collectors featuring a young bill henderson.........

jim campbell
05-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Its weird , I saw Ravi Shankar , took photos (still have the negs) , but cant figure out when and where it was. was going to school in the Bay area, geeze there were great concerts constantly , all over the place.i have the album from monterey pop another from around there and at about the same time,as well as the monterey pop dvd.summer of 67 methinks........still its said that if you remember the 60s you werent really there..............

fotodan
05-12-2007, 05:48 PM
funny but i just found their best of for 6 canuckbucks mostly for nostalgia.back in the day i had both albums of the collectors featuring a young bill henderson.........

I have 3 of there albums with Bill Henderson (not only vocalist and guitarist, but also produced the 3 albums).
Dreams, Dreams, Dreams
Wanna be a Star
Opus X

Was turned on to them back in the late 70's by a guy I use to work with. Loved there music every since..;)

jim campbell
05-12-2007, 10:19 PM
before there was chilliwack there were the collectors,im not sure where they were based out of but i believe they were among the pre eminent frisco ballroom bands of the era.showing my age here............

fotodan
05-13-2007, 08:26 AM
David Gates and The Best of Bread.

hjames
05-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Ackkkk - the horror!!

Thats almost as bad as watching Access Hollywood or Howeird Stern with audio on those Lovery speakers ...

What next ... Barely Mantilope, Wayne Neuter? :applaud: Olivia Neuter John?

David Gates and The Best of Bread.

jim campbell
05-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Ackkkk - the horror!!

Thats almost as bad as watching Access Hollywood or Howeird Stern with audio on those Lovery speakers ...

What next ... Barely Mantilope, Wayne Neuter? :applaud: Olivia Neuter John?maintain heather, maintain........after all barry manilow is said to be kind to his mom

jim campbell
05-13-2007, 08:50 PM
today is some kind of anniversary of something about gil evans but i didnt catch it,but they did do sketches of spain on college radio so i stayed in the truck with a starbucks latte,turned it up...............ah!!!

Storm
05-14-2007, 12:06 PM
James Taylor - Greatest Hits.

SEAWOLF97
05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
CTA - Freeform Guitar

(fortunately I was on the mountain bike with the pod in the middle of traffic and cud barely hear it, sometimes you put on more than you wanted to..)

jim campbell
05-14-2007, 02:50 PM
CTA - Freeform Guitar

(fortunately I was on the mountain bike with the pod in the middle of traffic and cud barely hear it, sometimes you put on more than you wanted to..)
socal purples.....im a man..........i remember that,at a house up the street listening to the first component stereo i ever saw.just getting into it when all were called to another room to hear some guy noodling on bass for what seemed like an eternity........no chance to flee...... noooooooooooo...........at one point i dared to speak and was hushed with a reminder
'he's groovin' man"

jim campbell
05-14-2007, 09:31 PM
from socal purples to deep purple..............fireball.........i almost remember it.it was a great live show and blackmore......................damn...stuff from in rock,and machine head..........openning acts rory gallager and fleetwood mac.but for now the album will have to do.

JBLRaiser
05-17-2007, 08:01 PM
gotta agree that stills was a huge part of the reason that csny made some great music.glad to hear that it plays in peoria.im hot and cold w/dr john on any given day but as far as the blues bros albums go i just could not find anything that improved on the originals.id take sam and dave any old day.crosby and nash only make it for me in the context of their other bands and the solo stuff just eludes me.young is still the go to guy for me and has been since ,well, forever

When I really want to go back to my idealic youth. I put on 'Down By The River' from the album 'Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere'. It puts me in a groove that melts away the days rat race. Truly medicinal for me.;)

yggdrasil
05-18-2007, 04:31 PM
This would be a very good time to return to topic.

SEAWOLF97
05-18-2007, 05:03 PM
there was something on XM today that was very bluesy and the female lead sounded a lot like Janis Joplin. I glanced at the title and the group was :

------- the crows. I dont know what the blanks are, I dont think it was "counting" , but would like to find more from them.

jim campbell
05-18-2007, 05:04 PM
is it safe to come back now?..........maybe i gotta borrow some camo from the wolf............oh yeah.........topic.........must focus........decade..........neil young..............bet ya that one plays in peoria

jim campbell
05-18-2007, 05:49 PM
there was something on XM today that was very bluesy and the female lead sounded a lot like Janis Joplin. I glanced at the title and the group was :

------- the crows. I dont know what the blanks are, I dont think it was "counting" , but would like to find more from them.there used to be a band ............stone the crows but i dont know if thats the one,but maybe amazon has a clip.........

SEAWOLF97
05-18-2007, 05:52 PM
is it safe to come back now?..........maybe i gotta borrow some camo from the wolf

SW's current camo is ORANGE, check the avatar.

jim campbell
05-18-2007, 06:39 PM
When I really want to go back to my idealic youth. I put on 'Down By The River' from the album 'Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere'. It puts me in a groove that melts away the days rat race. Truly medicinal for me.;)if you dont already have it try decade.........im not a big fan of best of's but that one has a great lineup.........like a hurricane,from american stars and bars is a particular favorite

Rusnzha
05-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Just finished up Carlos Santana & Wayne Shorter DVD Live at the 1988 Montreux Jazz Festival. This is like 3 supergroups in one and the sound is amazing.

Also http://brianauger.com/discography/disco.html

Check this out especially Butterfly, Bumpin on Sunset and Freddies Flight -- but they are all good

Just ordered Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, Live at the Baked Potato DVD

Comments to follow.

SEAWOLF97
05-18-2007, 08:27 PM
there used to be a band ............stone the crows but i dont know if thats the one,but maybe amazon has a clip.........

Jim
you are amazing ...that was it. maggie Bell really does a good Janice. Deep Trax really sends down some gems from the satellites sometimes.

jim campbell
05-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Jim
you are amazing ...that was it. maggie Bell really does a good Janice. Deep Trax really sends down some gems from the satellites sometimes.and while we're on the subject gotta dig out cheap thrills........i heard janis does a pretty fair janis too....

4313B
05-19-2007, 08:51 AM
I checked out the span of years late last night.

Then I popped over to Youtube afterwards and watched Nicolette Larson sing her version of Lotta Love.

It seems her original video was finally pulled off Youtube and only her Solid Gold version remains. :(

Neil mentions Nicolette on Heart of Gold.

jim campbell
05-25-2007, 06:11 PM
This would be a very good time to return to topic.i would suggest that a discussion on the merits of csny is appropriate for this thread...........if not where?

jim campbell
05-25-2007, 06:27 PM
frank zappa..................the grand wazoo...............bob dylan..........blonde on blonde

Robh3606
05-26-2007, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yggdrasil http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=169934#post169934)
This would be a very good time to return to topic.

i would suggest that a discussion on the merits of csny is appropriate for this thread...........if not where?

There are a about 6 posts that were deleted before yggdrasil's post that you may or may not be able to see. That is what his post was refering too.

Rob:)

jim campbell
05-26-2007, 02:45 PM
well that clears that up............i was begining to think that the reins were being held a tad tight.sorry johnny ,but without the clarifier it appeared that the off topic reminder was directed at my post.i still believe that we should not be so fast on the trigger as far as deleting ot posts ,especially in the music forum.the impetus for trimming the ot posts,i recall,was to streamline the tech sections for the gear head types who may want to reference those threads.i fail to see why that standard would be necessary in the music section

SEAWOLF97
05-26-2007, 02:56 PM
slightly OT , so nuke this if you must....

BAD MOON RISING - the unofficial history of CCR. 358 pages of BOOK . Burned through it last night. For a long time aficionado, it was a lot of new and interesting info.

found this while looking for "John Fogerty - The Long Road Home" at the lib. pretty good reissue of the classics.

The book covered the many different ways Fantasy Records has milked the CCR catalog. Did not know that Tom Fogerty died of AIDS in 1990. And that John refused to play the CCR hits for 20 years, until the "Welcome Home - Vietnam Vets" concert in D.C. He had not intended to do so , but felt an obligation.

SIDE NOTES

The profits from managing CCR were used to produce the films "One flew over the cuckoos Nest" and "Amadeus"

CCR was a headliner at Woodstock , but was cut out of the movie and soundtrack and very few who did not attend knew they were even there !!

loach71
05-26-2007, 04:05 PM
slightly OT , so nuke this if you must....

BAD MOON RISING - the unofficial history of CCR. 358 pages of BOOK . Burned through it last night. For a long time aficionado, it was a lot of new and interesting info.

CCR was constantly playing on my Roberts X-Field reel-to-reel in my hooch back in the day...what a time warp...

SEAWOLF97
05-26-2007, 04:14 PM
CCR was constantly playing on my Roberts X-Field reel-to-reel in my hooch back in the day...what a time warp...

every bar in the Delta had either a Teac or Akai R2R tethered to a Sansui receiver playing CCR through Pioneer speakers...fortunately I enjoyed them. :D

jim campbell
05-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Then I popped over to Youtube afterwards and watched Nicolette Larson sing her version of Lotta Love.

Neil mentions Nicolette on Heart of Gold.before it was stolen "nicolette" on vinyl was a regular play round here............it would be nice to see some live footage turn up

jim campbell
05-27-2007, 06:48 PM
liberation............chicago transit authority...........on xm.......gotta git me one of those.any suggestions on the best one for home and f 150......

SEAWOLF97
05-27-2007, 08:14 PM
liberation............chicago transit authority...........on xm.......gotta git me one of those.any suggestions on the best one for home and f 150......

Jim

I have the Roady 2 ...now there is a Roady XL. If you want to only have 1 subscription, this model comes with home and car antennas and you just move the head unit to where you are.

looks like FREE after rebate
http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2006

another nice thing is: once you subscribe, then you can get XM on the net so as to play through your computer also.

whizzer
05-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Seawolf97 said: " looks like FREE after rebate," which had nothing to do with what I'm listening to right now, but did suggest it to me--Fire and Water,
Free's third album with their one big hit, "Alright Now," which is very unlike anything else on the album. "Mr. Big" is what I listen to again and again--primarily because of Andy Fraser's amazing bass. It ought to be considered the lead instrument on that song.

HipoFutura
05-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Pink Floyd Block - Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Meddle. The music is low, tubes are glowing, and the sub is adding a soft thump to it all. Have to say, it's a nice night to enjoy!

jim campbell
06-03-2007, 07:17 PM
and on the other end of the spectrum the breathy vocals of hope sandoval,look on down from the bridge,and emmylou at the ryman

Storm
06-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Pink Floyd Block - Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Meddle. The music is low, tubes are glowing, and the sub is adding a soft thump to it all. Have to say, it's a nice night to enjoy!

Oh, what a feelin'....

;)

Wish I could be there ---

-Storm

moldyoldy
06-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Can you say....OM?

Storm
06-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Can you say....OM?

Sorry for the silly question, but what in the world does OM refer to in the land of oz?

;)

Thanks.

-Storm.

jim campbell
06-04-2007, 04:25 AM
Can you say....OM?a kindred spirit...........just heard threshold of a dream the other day........on the new remastered series.........have you heard?

moldyoldy
06-04-2007, 05:34 AM
Nah, Jim, I'm generally too cheap to buy anything twice. ;)

I do look for remasters when replacing, though. Some seem to be a step back, some a step up. Kinda set in my ways, I like my lemon pies to taste like lemon and my meat loaf like Mom's. :D

HipoFutura
06-04-2007, 05:37 AM
"It riles them to believe that you can perceive the web they weave!"

hjames
06-04-2007, 07:20 AM
a kindred spirit...........just heard threshold of a dream the other day........on the new remastered series.........have you heard?

Is this a remastered remaster - didn't they redo all the old catalog a few years back? Frankly, from Seventh Sojourn back is all that matters anyway, right? Everything else should be new enough not to need remastering

jim campbell
06-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Is this a remastered remaster - didn't they redo all the old catalog a few years back? Frankly, from Seventh Sojourn back is all that matters anyway, right? Everything else should be new enough not to need remasteringmy interest ends at egbdf and even then not all of it and a few things from question of balance.the early stuff is the stuff i like. im not sure how often its been done and re done but i bet some will show up on 180- 200 gram vinyl,at least the london festival orchestra stuff.theres some talk on another thread of i pod powered ti 250's and i dont wish to get into it,but for me the best possible source material is usually the preferred route and mp3 a last resort option.

jim campbell
06-05-2007, 08:03 PM
key lime pie.............camper van beethoven

jim campbell
06-06-2007, 05:49 PM
fresh air .............from quicksilver anthology.......have another hit

Robh3606
06-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Some Rush

jim campbell
06-08-2007, 06:12 PM
van morrison...............astral weeks

4313B
06-11-2007, 10:35 AM
What are those loudspeakers on the right hand side of her CD cover?

The foilcals are easier to see on the actual CD.

Tavis Smiley had her on as a quest a couple weeks ago. A MySpace success tale.

speakerdave
06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
The lower ones are 4313's or the like (L96? etc.)

David

4313B
06-11-2007, 12:11 PM
I guessed them as L212's but I could be wrong. They have the black L212 style foilcals and the LF's look like eights. :dont-know

richluvsound
06-11-2007, 12:22 PM
What are those loudspeakers on the right hand side of her CD cover?

The foilcals are easier to see on the actual CD.

Tavis Smiley had her on as a quest a couple weeks ago. A MySpace success tale.

Her Dad ,Keith Allen is Damien Hirst's best mate. She's London's token talentless Brat. Steals her Dad's coke stash to snort with her mates in the toilets at China White. A photographer walked passed her so she spat at him and he still ignored her. If My Space has anything to offer ,try Jason Feddy. Jason used to live in Leeds and moved to Southern Cal . A humble talent that lets his poetry and musicianship do the talking. A good man and a dearly missed friend, who also wont plug into anything that does'nt have JBL on it :applaud:

speakerdave
06-11-2007, 12:23 PM
I guessed them as L212's but I could be wrong. They have the black L212 style foilcals and the LF's look like eights. :dont-know

Oh, yes. I think you're right. The image must have been reversed. It seems to me the L212 foilcals are on the other side.

David

4313B
06-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Her Dad ,Keith Allen is Damien Hirst's best mate. She's London's token talentless Brat. Steals her Dad's coke stash to snort with her mates in the toilets at China White.Wikkid! :rockon2:
A photographer walked passed her so she spat at him and he still ignored her.Well, maybe she's a thoughtless little pig? :dont-know

richluvsound
06-11-2007, 01:15 PM
I dont know if you guy's have heard of him. He makes millions as a PR consultant .He basically designs schemes to either get you in the news or out of the S--t .

jim campbell
06-12-2007, 02:37 PM
geez now i gotta be the one to mention that were veering off topic...........ok back to business.......picked up johnny cash............music that matters to him by various artists...............johnny cash........gospel................2 for 10 bucks canuck at hmv.

jim campbell
06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
rich,are you bringing that dog with you?

richluvsound
06-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Jim,

I wish, It wouldnt be fair though. There will be tears when I get on that plane, but it wont be for a human being. She is a rescue pooch. My baby. She'll go to france and run around the farm for the rest of her day's.
Rich

jim campbell
06-13-2007, 07:00 PM
beautiful dogs those, had one years ago............i know flying is not easy for them ....................back to music tho ..........gillian welch..........time the revelator

moldyoldy
06-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Oh yeah, good choice, Moldy...turn it up...not too much dammit...that's it...take me back to the island, Leon...

1. Will O' The Wisp Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002U05001001/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_001/102-8820653-4036963)
2. Little Hideaway Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002U05001002/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_002/102-8820653-4036963)
3. Make You Feel Good Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002U05001003/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_003/102-8820653-4036963)
4. Can't Get Over Losing You Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002U05001004/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_004/102-8820653-4036963)
5. My Father's Shoes Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002U05001005/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_005/102-8820653-4036963)
6. Stay Away From Sad Songs Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002U05001006/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_006/102-8820653-4036963)
7. Back To The Island Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002U05001007/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_007/102-8820653-4036963)
8. Down On Deep River Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002U05001008/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_008/102-8820653-4036963)
9. Blue Bird Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002U05001009/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_009/102-8820653-4036963)
10. Laying Right Here In Heaven Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002U05001010/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_010/102-8820653-4036963)
11. Lady Blue Listen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002U05001011/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_011/102-8820653-4036963)

SEAWOLF97
06-15-2007, 09:13 PM
well. I watched "BLOWUP", London high style photog tracking down hidden murder in glorious 1966 1.0 surround sound (mono).

Although this is a DVD in a music thread, it featured the Yardbirds playing live and soundtrack mainly by Herbie Handcock, with a little bit of Lovin' Spoonfull.

Won 2 Oscars.

jim campbell
06-16-2007, 06:52 PM
geez that sure takes ya back.........other vintage titles from that era....vanishing point.........fritz the cat..............scarecrow..........panic in needle park.........the conversation.........shaft.......

jim campbell
06-16-2007, 06:57 PM
may have to slide over to the dvd area but ........on a music tangent again............billie holiday.......the columbia series vol 3

06-16-2007, 10:30 PM
From Morph The Cat:applaud:

moldyoldy
06-17-2007, 05:17 PM
My favorite Fat Man...can it be nearly 30 years?

If this one ain't in your collection, it oughtta be.

Released just months before Lowell George's death in '79, this studio LP is notable for the recording and mix, LG at his best. Oh, and did I mention a few friends stopped by to lend a hand?

Bonnie Raitt (Vocals)
James Newton Howard (Keyboards)
Chuck Rainey (Bass)
Denny Christianson, David Foster (Keyboards)
Chilli Charles (Drums)
Nicky Hopkins (Keyboards & Horn)
Jim Price (Horn)
Jim Keltner (Drums)
Jim Gordon (Drums)
Michael Baird (Drums & Bass)
Dennis Belfield (Bass)
Bobby Bruce (Violin, Guitar)
Turner Stephen Bruton (Guitar & Horn)
Dennis Christianson (Horn)
Luis Damian (Guitar & keyboards)
Gordon DeWitte (Keyboards & Piano)
Maxine Dixon, Arthur Gerst, Jimmy Greenspoon (Piano)
Jimmy Greenspoon, Roberto Gutierrez (Guitar)
Roberto Gutierrez (Vocals, Guitar, Drums)
Richard Hayward (Drums)
Jerry Jumonville (Saxophone & Guitar)
Ron Koss (Guitar & Engineering)
Darrell Leonard (Horn & Vocals)
Maxayn Lewis (Vocals)
David Paich (Drums)
Jeff Porcaro (Drums, guitar)
Dean Parks (Guitar & keyboards)
Bruce Paulson (Keyboards)
Bill Payne (Keyboards & Vocals)
Herb Pedersen (Vocals)
Joel Peskin (Vocals & Saxophone)
John Phillips (Saxophone & Drums)
Peggy Sandvig, Jim Self (Drums)
Floyd Sneed (Drums & Vocals)
J.D. Souther (Bass & Vocals)
Paul Stallworth (Bass & guitar)
Fred Tackett (Guitar & Vocals)
Maxine Willard Waters (Vocals)

SEAWOLF97
06-18-2007, 08:15 AM
well. I watched "BLOWUP", London high style photog tracking down hidden murder in glorious 1966 1.0 surround sound (mono).

Although this is a DVD in a music thread, it featured the Yardbirds playing live and soundtrack mainly by Herbie Handcock, with a little bit of Lovin' Spoonfull.

Won 2 Oscars.

Movie was kinda weird. The Yardbirds (with Jimmy Page)are jammin along to "Train kept rollin'" , and the audience sits like statues,, not a toe tap or head nod at all , just like stone statues.
Lead guitar gets funky, starts popping , and the player smashes it and jumps on the carcass. Tosses broken neck to the crowd , who now come alive and fight over it. Movies main char grabs it and runs. Crowd chases.

He gets free , makes his way to the street , takes a look at it and drops it to the sidewalk and walks away. An observer picks it up and examines it and drops it again.

whizzer
06-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Movie was kinda weird. The Yardbirds (with Jimmy Page)

Geez--I have a copy of that movie--it's one of my all time favorites, and for all these years, including when I first saw it in a theater back when it first appeared, I thought that was Jeff Beck.

SEAWOLF97
06-18-2007, 09:34 AM
from IMDB.com .....cast listing,...shows BOTH Beck and Page

rest of cast listed alphabetically:http://i.imdb.com/images/tn15/addtiny.gif (http://www.imdb.com/rg/title-tease/resumehead/http://resume.imdb.com/)Jeff Beck (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0065169/)... Himself with The Yardbirds (uncredited)http://i.imdb.com/images/tn15/addtiny.gif (http://www.imdb.com/rg/title-tease/resumehead/http://resume.imdb.com/)Chris Dreja (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0237446/)... Himself in the Yardbirds (uncredited)http://i.imdb.com/images/tn15/addtiny.gif (http://www.imdb.com/rg/title-tease/resumehead/http://resume.imdb.com/)Jim McCarty (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0565407/)... Himself in the Yardbirds (uncredited)http://i.imdb.com/images/tn15/addtiny.gif (http://www.imdb.com/rg/title-tease/resumehead/http://resume.imdb.com/)Jimmy Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0656211/)... Himself with The Yardbirds (uncredited)http://i.imdb.com/images/tn15/addtiny.gif (http://www.imdb.com/rg/title-tease/resumehead/http://resume.imdb.com/)Keith Relf (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0718792/)... Himself in The Yardbirds (uncredited)

whizzer
06-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Additional research reveals that both Page and Beck were playing "side by side" and that it was the muscular Beck who smashed the guitar (which was Steve Howe's).

whizzer
06-18-2007, 11:53 AM
And right now I'm listening to Beck-Ola!

jim campbell
06-18-2007, 02:01 PM
and if you like beck from that era try truth........a young rod stewart really had something before all the do ya think im sexy bs

SEAWOLF97
06-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Geez--I have a copy of that movie--it's one of my all time favorites, .

played it the 2nd time with commentary ON. Helped clear up a lot (and muddy up some more) !!

jim campbell
06-18-2007, 02:15 PM
hey wolf howzit goin.........sent oldsoundz the pix that i have as i cant seem to recover your e mail add............once the batteries charge up on the camera ill post some more.......nice lookin ride but i dont see any racks for the f's

JBL 4645
06-19-2007, 02:40 PM
I’ve been listening to a variety of tracks from (Anne Lennox) she’s one female artist with clearly milky silk lyrics that can be cleanly understood. “A Whiter Shade of Pale” has good background support, with the backing choirs, that flows gentility around and yet it can still be played loudly enough to fill the room.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/Brainstorm3417/AnneLennoxAWhiterShadeofPale.jpg

jim campbell
06-19-2007, 06:18 PM
ahhhh.....refuge..............merle haggard......big city

jim campbell
06-20-2007, 04:59 PM
you just caint git grits up here but a dose of dixie chicken ever now n then helps fill the bill............fave tune on your way down......

moldyoldy
06-21-2007, 05:18 AM
you just caint git grits up here but a dose of dixie chicken ever now n then helps fill the bill............fave tune on your way down......

Don't feel bad, since Ruby Tuesdays, Chillis, etc. knocked off all the Awful Waffles and mom-n-pops, you can't even get grits here nowdays.

http://henancius.martin-scorsese.net/sounds/vinny/grits.wav

"And in that southern moonlight,
she sang her song so well" :)

jim campbell
06-21-2007, 06:58 AM
thats sad...........tho i dont miss the long haul biz i sure miss the travel..........ive been by your house too many times to count.........if ida turned down the ac and opened a window i probably woulda heard ya too

moldyoldy
06-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Only if your visits were before the deputies were all issued dB meters. :banghead:

jim campbell
06-21-2007, 09:53 AM
i used to go that way before the road near bentonville or maybe fayetteville was four lane and ride the coaster..............been a while

moldyoldy
06-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Oh, man, that's been awhile Jim. You'd be lost here now. The coaster was US71, which is now I-540. Heck, we even got them there ellyvators and jet airyplanes and sich now, thicker'n dogpeckergnats on a blue tick hound. You'd be hard pressed to find a jukebox though, 'specially one with Roger Miller's King of the Road, or maybe Patsy Cline's Walkin' After Midnight fer a nickel.

I did hear they got that there kerry-okie playin' down at the Ramada now. Thinkin' I might get all jazzed up some Saturday night and go see what that mess is all about, yep.

jim campbell
06-21-2007, 04:44 PM
we used to be able to go into the factories and talk to people but now theres always a guard and a little room to keep you out...........too many damn rules now......

and with that i gotta go find me some johnny cash..........

MJ Bing
06-23-2007, 08:00 PM
The Dave Brubeck Quartet

well...last night it was

michael :D

jim campbell
06-23-2007, 10:59 PM
the band............the band...........probably their finest

richluvsound
06-24-2007, 04:55 AM
Hi Jim,

I was watching the Glastonbury simalcast last nite. Iggy Pop, even at 60 odd can still get a croud going. 170.000 people. What a man ! they interviewed him after his set. He was awsome. He said it was the best gig he's ever done. He could stand up without help to start with ! . He said it reminded him of the US festivals of the early 70's.

I came downstairs and got the Lou Reed out, then The sensational Alex Harvey Band, Genesis Live. Emerson ,Lake and Palmer,Black Sabbath.

Man ,I swear I could feel my hair grow back down to my shoulders.:applaud:
Rich

jim campbell
06-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Hi Jim,

I was watching the Glastonbury simalcast last nite. Iggy Pop,

Lou Reed, then The sensational Alex Harvey Band, Genesis Live. Emerson ,Lake and Palmer,theres only one genesis album that i cared for and thats the one............never could tolerate phil collins except as a drummer....alex harvey.......used to have some way back when but it been a long time............those were the days when standing on a folding chair for 2 hours seemed like a good way to spend an evening..............what id give for those first three sabbath albums with decent sound quality.......

Storm
06-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Get the Phil Collins last tour DVD and you will be convinced otherwise. In my eyes, he is a natural -- love turning up the volume when "In the Air Tonight" comes on. I crave the drum solo - hot damn!

WOW!

;)

-Storm.

theres only one genesis album that i cared for and thats the one............never could tolerate phil collins except as a drummer....

hjames
06-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Phil's best work was with Brand X - the early jazz fusion stuff - the rest was mainstream FM rock suitable for beer commercials.
... and his blue eyed soul era ... gack!

Get the Phil Collins last tour DVD and you will be convinced otherwise. In my eyes, he is a natural -- love turning up the volume when "In the Air Tonight" comes on. I crave the drum solo - hot damn!

WOW!

;)

-Storm.

richluvsound
06-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Storm,

I'll stand with you on that album. There's just something missing about phil. It must have been that little fling he had in the eighties with the fella from Earth wind and Fire.
Peter Gabriel on the other hand. He's playing up the road today at Hyde park, but as usual its bloody pissin it down here in London. Gabriel really is switched on.The man has integrity, he makes music about his inner journey.
Gabriel is an artist and Phil Collins was a pop star. !!!

SEAWOLF97
06-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy

I heard this on XM and had forgot how good it was. Cud not remember the artist . Sounded like Wilson Pickett or Sam and Dave , so I looked it up.

THE BUCKINGHAMS !! - 5 white teenagers from Chicago. All I remembered from them was kinda bubblegummy , Beatle wannabe music. The web says they picked the name to be British sounding and they were voted "The Most Listened To Band In America” in 1967 , selling more records that year than any American artist except The Monkees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkees).

The song was written by Cannonball Adderly's pianist and the original by CA is great also.

I did find at least 3 variations on the lyrics.

THE BUCKINGHAMS lyrics - "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy"

My baby, she made out of love,
Like one of those bunnies out of a playboy club,
But she's got somethin' that's greater than gold,
Crazy 'bout that girl, 'cause she got so much soul!

I said she got the kind o' lovin', kissin' and a-huggin'
Sure is mellow, glad that I'm her fellow, and I know
That she knocks me off my feet, have mercy on me!
'Cause she knocks me off my feet!

There is no girl in the whole world
That can love love me like you do!

Well, oh, my baby, when she walks by
All the fellows go "Ooh!" and I know why.
Is it because that girl she looks so fine,
And if she ever leaves me I will lose my mind.

She got the kind o' lovin', kissin' and a-huggin'

Hey! Everybody, the neighborhood,
Now testify that my girl, she look so good, yeah,
She's so fine, she's built, I'm startin' to go blind,
Yeah, If she ever leaves me I will lose my mind!

She got the kind o' lovin', kissin' and a-huggin'

Baby, yeah,
You gotta, gotta have some mercy, yeah!
Alright

whizzer
06-25-2007, 05:14 AM
I'll second the sentiment expressed that Brand X constituted Phil's best stuff--pure drumming--no cymbals. I'm listening to the first Brand X right now--it's an ancient cassette without a label.

BMWCCA
06-26-2007, 07:49 PM
What I'm listening to now? A local group:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/morwennajay
http://mojamusic.net/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORMMcSe8gn8

Two more talented students from the Berklee College of Music. :applaud:

Sounds great on an 030 system. ;)

Robh3606
06-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Have some 80's Asia on. Just got back from the show and it was great fun! Carl Palmer is still amazing as always.

Hoerninger
07-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Metallica
on TV "N24"

hjames
07-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Must be a timelag for the US -
I've got Universal HD cable - and they've got Metallica widescreen with a big fat sound - whoa!

Metallica
on TV "N24"

JBL 4645
07-09-2007, 06:41 PM
South Pacific in the background at -20db on the fader sound wonderful.:) "Bali Ha'i":)

The music is kinder jazzy hip fast passed with the smooth lyrics.

hjames
07-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Naw - that means Monsters INC beat the 3 hour edited "Highlights" show on NBC

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/printer_friendly/news_logo.gif
Monsters beat Live Earth on US TV

A three-hour NBC programme marking the global day of Live Earth concerts was the least-watched show on mainstream US television on Saturday night.

Published: 2007/07/10 07:41:59 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Hoerninger
07-13-2007, 05:37 AM
JERRY LEE LEWIS - LIVE AT THE STAR-CLUB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star-Club) HAMBURG
recorded live on April5, 1964, re-issued 1989 on CD

http://www.wdr.de/themen/_images_/images/3/kultur/stichtag/2004/12/bild1231_400h.jpg

Ducatista47
07-13-2007, 11:41 PM
The sweet, sweet sounds of Time, the forgotten Fleetwood Mac album boasting the best lineup since the Peter Green / Danny Kirwan days.

I missed this band playing locally when I heard of the appearance the day after they played. Crap!

Clark in Peoria

hjames
07-14-2007, 04:41 AM
Some big plastic thingee - (Old vinyl)
Traffic - Welcome to the Canteen - a long jam of "Dear Mr. Fantasy"
(except it doesn't actually say Traffic on the jacket, just lists the players ... Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Dave Mason , Chris Wood, Rick Grech, Rebop Kwaku Baah, Jim Gordon

buddy plant
07-14-2007, 08:51 AM
I have that one on vinyl also. I never really noticed it omitted the Traffic name (only had it for about 35 years or so). I also have it on CD, and it has Traffic on the spine of the case, and on the disc as well.

Some big plastic thingee - (Old vinyl)
Traffic - Welcome to the Canteen - a long jam of "Dear Mr. Fantasy"
(except it doesn't actually say Traffic on the jacket, just lists the players ... Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Dave Mason , Chris Wood, Rick Grech, Rebop Kwaku Baah, Jim Gordon

SEAWOLF97
07-17-2007, 10:52 AM
The Golliwogs (I think those guys have potential:applaud:)

picked up the 6 disk set - "Keep on Chooglin'", first disk is "The Blue Velvets" (crap) and "The Golliwogs"....pretty good ...nice JF tuning up for CCR fame...

http://www.amazon.com/Creedence-Clearwater-Revival/dp/B00005OM4K/ref=dp_return_2/103-8655488-2381436?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

greyhound
07-18-2007, 01:38 AM
http://myownmusicindustry.nl/images/17032007_shellac.jpg

shellac : excellent italian greyhound.

expirimental music from the legendary steve albini
love him or .....
beuatifully recorded with enough power in the lower regions wich lacked at previous recordings.
three musicians always sound good. never gets messy

greyhound
07-18-2007, 01:44 AM
http://www.punknews.org/images/interviews/converge-noheroes.jpg

converge : no heroes.
for the metalheads among us. nice recording and especially guitars sound great in combination with the energized drums.
technically a skilled band. dont let the screams and noise set you of. great band

http://www.dedijk.nl/lin/images/discografie/BIS100.jpg

wende snijders , singing france chansons with a lot of emotion.
this recording is excellent, a lot of space, pin pointing you name it.
her voice is dramatic and great articulation

00Robin
07-18-2007, 06:22 AM
All of things,watching some tv show last night what was on in the background that blew me right back to the 70's,the weather the smells,where I was,and whose turn it was...none other than 'Satellite of Love' songs are so amazing. I hadn't heard that song in 30 plus years and I was STRAINING to hear the whole thing while ignoring the show. I hate that. Straining to hear a song i NEEDED to hear again. Ah well,I'll dig it up here somewhere.

Storm
07-18-2007, 10:17 AM
All of things,watching some tv show last night what was on in the background that blew me right back to the 70's,the weather the smells,where I was,and whose turn it was...none other than 'Satellite of Love' songs are so amazing. I hadn't heard that song in 30 plus years and I was STRAINING to hear the whole thing while ignoring the show. I hate that. Straining to hear a song i NEEDED to hear again. Ah well,I'll dig it up here somewhere.

Lou Reed - Transformer album.

;)

-Storm.

whizzer
07-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Is anyone besides me amazed to hear these guys--the first to bill themselves as "psychedelic"--as a soundtrack for a Dell commercial?

SEAWOLF97
07-31-2007, 08:24 AM
The Thirteenth Floor Elevators

I always confuse them with "The Electric Prunes" ..

.listening right now ? Magical Mystery Tour - got some gems on there...

Whatever happened to Jim ? Has he stopped listening to music now that he finally got those beautiful Wilsons ? I enjoyed his daily posts in this thread. Where are you, JC ??

hjames
07-31-2007, 09:08 AM
A friend got me on a Mile Davis kick .. he had recommended Mark Isham's "Mile Remembered: The Silent Way Project". Its a series of songs based on stuff Miles did at various time, but uses Mile's song as a startoff point to improvise from - some is mellow, some kick in your face fusion chops.
That got me interested in finding Mile's "Complete In A Silent Way Sessions" very cool stuff - almost new agey in places, its the album just before the fusion of Bitches Brew.
Oh - and I finally found a copy of Charley Parker with Strings ... this stuff all
sounds so sweet on the L200-plus speakers downstairs ...

richluvsound
07-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi Heather,

Mark Isham ,one of my favorites. "Film Music" an old favorite indeed. I came across the Miles homage while searching the net for Film Music . "lfe" last track is in my top drawer. If you come across anything else let me know.

Rich

hjames
07-31-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi Heather,

Mark Isham ,one of my favorites. "Film Music" an old favorite indeed. I came across the Miles homage while searching the net for Film Music . "lfe" last track is in my top drawer. If you come across anything else let me know.

Rich

yeah - Isham hooked me when I heard his playing on the live versions of Orpheus from the David Sylvian concerts of the late 80s ...
(kinda prefer the Nakano Sun Plaza show above the "In Praise of Shamans" show - but what do I know ...?)

richluvsound
07-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Actually Heather,

I really respect and enjoy your eclectic taste in music. I often nip to itunes for a listen after reading your NP. The trouble is, Itunes US and Itunes UK have different catalouges.

Do you like Lyle Mays without Pat. ?

Rich

hjames
07-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Actually Heather,
Do you like Lyle Mays without Pat. ?

Rich

Thanks! So I guess this means I have to hunt down his solos stuff to have a listen. I liked Metheny with Gary Burton, and even some of his stuff when he branched off, (even the Joni Mitchell work with Jaco) but - there is just so much of Pat's later work ...

So now I'm loading two discs I just got from Amazon into iTunes -
Les Paul: 90th Birthday Edition (a greatest hits collection), and Merle Haggard: 20 Greatest Hits.
Les, of course, from the folks here who prompted me to watch a recent Public TV show about all his innovations, both musical and technical.

Merle is just curiosity. We recently watched an old concert of "The Highwaymen" in Scotland, we liked their sound and figured "Johnny (Cash) is gone and Waylon (Jennings) is gone and we don't care that much for Chris (Kristoferson) - hmm - better catch Willie (Nelson) while he's still around!" Anyway, we got tickets for Willie Nelson at a small local venue in early September and Merle is the "warm-up" act, so I figured I should check out more of his material at least ...

I mean, it can't be Eno and shoegazer stuff all the time, right? :applaud:

richluvsound
07-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks! So I guess this means I have to hunt down his solos stuff to have a listen. I liked Metheny with Gary Burton, and even some of his stuff when he branched off, (even the Joni Mitchell work with Jaco) but - there is just so much of Pat's later work ...

So now I'm loading two discs I just got from Amazon into iTunes -
Les Paul: 90th Birthday Edition (a greatest hits collection), and Merle Haggard: 20 Greatest Hits.
Les, of course, from the folks here who prompted me to watch a recent Public TV show about all his innovations, both musical and technical.

Merle is just curiosity. We recently watched an old concert of "The Highwaymen" in Scotland, we liked their sound and figured "Johnny (Cash) is gone and Waylon (Jennings) is gone and we don't care that much for Chris (Kristoferson) - hmm - better catch Willie (Nelson) while he's still around!" Anyway, we got tickets for Willie Nelson at a small local venue in early September and Merle is the "warm-up" act, so I figured I should check out more of his material at least ...

I mean, it can't be Eno and shoegazer stuff all the time, right? :applaud:
Country is my blind spot. I grew up in the UK did'nt really get much exposure to Willie and the likes. I respect any musician that can produce work with integrity for the amount of time that he has. Johnny gets a nod .
the last thing he did of cover tunes. To be that big and to be able honour his influence shows the man's class (humility)

Early Eno , music for airports got a bit cliche after 9.5 weeks. He teaches at the Royal College of Art now ,Multi media. Good course.

shoegazer ? is that post-ironic ?

:D

hjames
07-31-2007, 06:37 PM
shoegazer ? is that post-ironic ?

:D

Some critic at melody maker called that genre that - tho I've been a fan of ambient/space music from way back - Jade Warrior anyone?

whizzer
08-01-2007, 06:56 AM
[quote=SEAWOLF97;179410]I always confuse them with "The Electric Prunes" ..

Those Prunes are nothing like the Elevators--nothing is. What other rock band had an electric jug? (That was the source of those indescribably strange "bubbly" noises.) Their recordings are not, sadly, of high technical quality, but, in many ways, musically, they were ahead of their time; echoes of them abound, even in the Rolling Stones. When I was at Fort Hood, working as a personnel records specialist in the "Transfer Point" during the VietNam era, a former member of the band was brought in chains to my cubical by armed guards for paperwork connected with his undesirable discharge--he'd been caught with a joint. I recognized him and said I had all their albums, he replied, "Even 'A Bull in the Woods'? That one sucks!" Alas, he was right. "Easter Everywhere," however, to which I was listening in my car on the way to work this morning, is an entirely different matter--I'm especially fond of "Levitation," although most critics mention "Slip Inside this House" as particularly noteworthy. That was their second album; the first "The Psychedelic Sounds of...." album contained their only hit, "Fire Engine," and was an obvious (in retrospect) anticipation of the whole grunge-punk movement of more than a decade later. They are my personal favorite band of the era, with Love and Quicksilver Messenger Service close behind, and I believe their influence on the San Francisco "psychedelic explosion" has yet to be acknowledged.

Hoerninger
08-02-2007, 01:44 PM
W:O:A
Wacken Open Air 2.8. - 4.8.2007

Is the largest exclusively metal music festival in the world with more than 60.000 attendees in 2006.
It takes place in northern Germany north of Hamburg (some ten kilometers apart from my home).
It is not my sort of music but there is a live stream if you want it:
http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2007/

http://www.wacken.com/fileadmin/images_intro_woa2007/intro_woa2007_01.jpghttp://www.wacken.com/uploads/pics/woa2004-airpic_01.jpg

In the radio they told of two Australien girls who had three jobs to finance the trip up to here: Welcome!

greyhound
08-02-2007, 03:09 PM
http://hometown.aol.com/scratchoutmyeyes/images/conv.jpg

converge "no heroes"
brutal music but very technical.
recording makes guitars sound like V8 engines
(and thats how i like it)

and SYL.
in my humble opinion the best metal band ever.
recording is acceptable, great drumming.vocals are at a lonely hight (for the genre
http://www.farbeyondmetal.com/images/covers/syl-city.jpg

BMWCCA
08-03-2007, 10:53 PM
As the title states; anyone have a copy of the Stephen Stills CD released in the early '90s, "Stills Alone"? It's been unavailable for some time and used originals bring up to $200 used. I'm not that crazy, but I would love a CD-R "archival copy" (is copying really so reprehensible if the publisher won't publish the original?) if anyone has the ability to provide it. Cover your expenses, for sure, or something else to trade?

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KH3XYYXKL._AA240_.jpg

JBL 4645
08-04-2007, 09:23 AM
http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LB/443742_DV_L_B.jpghttp://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LF/443742_DV_L_F.jpg

Being enjoying some rattle and hum and shuddering low end kick with U2. I made a few adjustments to fit the mix into the room, with a slight boost in the 125Hz range on LCR trimmed the 62Hz and 125Hz on the LFE.1 boosted the 32Hz slightly for the JBL 4645 which shuddered the room “Where The Streets Have No Names” deeply and pleasing on this fine sunny summer day.

Lyrics came though clearly with little competition of the left and right instrumental. Not a bad concert rock film and in no is it dated, no way.

The film has monaural surrounds that add crowd atmosphere and occasional reverb instrumental along the sidewalls that was handled easily via the JBL control 1, while the control 5 up front in active crossover mode sang brightly with transparency and spackle.

I see there’s a HD-DVD and Blu-Ray version due out very soon this year.:)

JBL 4645
08-04-2007, 12:24 PM
http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LB/639023_DV_L_B.jpghttp://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LF/639023_DV_L_F.jpg

Getting into some Jean Michel Jarre in China, it opens with very dynamic orchestral number with shuddering timpani that rocked the pillows of Forbidden City, clarity over the whole range of channels was staggeringly realistic.

Classic pieces from Oxygen never sounded this good with instrumentals being panned over the fronts and whooshing around the sidewall surrounds.

I noticed the levels on left and right where mixed quite high with certain parts of music, so little reducing of the master level and slight increase on the centre channel output as well as a few trims on the LF left and right and HF thou not as much as I’d like to maintain transparency of the sounds over the fronts.

This is JBL chest pounded, with shuddering LFE.1, window rattling JBL sensation, which vibrated the seat, like nobody’s business!

SPL db levels where kept within safety limits around +80dbA to +105dbc, if I’d trimmed the LFE.1 differently with 62Hz at 0db the depth at the back of room would be too overwhelming, with peaks close to 115dbc. The master fader is at the -10db level and still I seen the Alesis RA300 going into clip thanks to the DCX2496 and its management safety features.

Chapter 8 has a harmonistic mellow Zen feeling with good percussion of strings, which is backed up by a wonderfully choirs that gives it that heavenly emotion edge. The image on the transfer is remarkable clear for standard DVD.:p

Hoerninger
08-06-2007, 12:57 PM
78 year old Lee Hazlewood died August 4th.
( Billboard.com (http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003621972) )

Fred Sanford
08-10-2007, 11:56 AM
My brother & sister-in-law gave me a $50 Amazon girt card for my birthday, so I went to town and searched for many used CDs and combined as much shipping as possible- here's what will be spinning for the next few weeks:

Yayhoos- Fear Not the Obvious (Dan Baird from Georgia Satellites)
Yayhoos- Put the Hammer Down
Paula Cole- Courage (her new album)
Pat Benatar- Crimes Of Passion (only had the vinyl)
Oteil & the Peacemakers- Family Secret (excellent funky smooth stuff)
Kimm Rogers- Two Sides (liked one song, we'll see what the rest is like)
Josh Clayton-Felt- Spirit Touches Ground (from School of Fish, which was a favorite. Sad story, posthumous release, really like it so far.)
Josh Clayton-Felt- Inarticulate Nature Boy
Big Audio Dynamite- Tighten Up (old favorite)
Cherry Poppin’ Daddies- Zoot Suit Riot (found it while cleaning my wife's new classroom at her new job)
Michael Lee Firkins- Chapter 11 (love his stuff, guitar instrumentals of all styles. Excellent player.)

...interesting mix of stuff.

je

Ducatista47
08-14-2007, 10:06 PM
The recent mention of Stephen Stills sent me web searching for new stuff. If you enjoy his work (I think he is one of the best ever), log on to his official website http://stephenstills.com/, but turn on the computer speakers first. 1968 demos, and what a thrill they are!!!!

Beats me how I forgot to mention him in the Lead Guitar thread.

Clark in Peoria

ChopsMX5
08-22-2007, 07:52 PM
http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/827926.jpg

SEAWOLF97
08-31-2007, 08:53 PM
THE ONLY WAY TO TOP THE PREVIOUS POST IS WITH:

Ennio Morricone - Anthology

go Clint , go .....:applaud:

JBL 4645
08-31-2007, 10:41 PM
THE ONLY WAY TO TOP THE PREVIOUS POST IS WITH:

Ennio Morricone - Anthology

go Clint , go .....:applaud:

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/oscars/77th_academy_awards_press_room_photos/clint_eastwood/oscars2.jpg
Make my Day Oscar! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGIelcG0r3s

I’ve seen “The Good the Bad and the Ugly” so many times on TV that doesn’t really do it any justice for the scope of such a classic an iconic Spaghetti Western. I’ll have to hunt down the region 2 DVD I’m a (Clint Eastwood) fan, the guy has come along way since the days of “Raw Ride”

hjames
09-01-2007, 06:18 AM
I’ve seen “The Good the Bad and the Ugly” so many times on TV that doesn’t really do it any justice for the scope of such a classic an iconic Spaghetti Western. I’ll have to hunt down the region 2 DVD I’m a (Clint Eastwood) fan, the guy has come along way since the days of “Raw Ride”

Ummm ... that would be RawHide ... sheesh ...
Raw Ride was that OTHER cowboy movie a few years ago with Jake Gyllenhaal (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0350453/) - what happens on THAT mountain stays on the mountain!
(and Clint wasn't there ...)

Besides, they've restored "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" a few years back, its a sumptuous film - go rent it or buy it and enjoy again. Its a MAJOR improvement!
Then go get "Once Upon a Time In the West" and see it on a big screen -
Robards, Fonda, Bronson, Cardinale - and Jack Elam with that hilarious opening sequence -

JBL 4645
09-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Ummm ... that would be RawHide ... sheesh ...
Raw Ride was that OTHER cowboy movie a few years ago with Jake Gyllenhaal (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0350453/) - what happens on THAT mountain stays on the mountain!
(and Clint wasn't there ...)

Just as long isn’t “Brockback Mountain” I heard a lot of strange things happen on that mountain, Yikes!:D

JBLOG
09-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Wow.....simply amazing guitar work and ambience

00Robin
09-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Lucky Peterson's ~ Beyond Cool really does the job sometimes...

ChopsMX5
09-04-2007, 08:59 AM
http://www.ludgerlohmann.de/images/CD-01-big.jpg

fotodan
09-04-2007, 06:10 PM
David Bromberg, Demon in Disguise. GREAT guitar work.... Only made 4 albums of his own since 71, but, has accompained over 100 top name musicans because of his guitar picking style.

whizzer
09-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Dug out an old vinyl LP I unaccountably hadn't transposed to cd yet--Taste, "On the Boards," truly great blues-inspired guitar. Gallagher, a youthful prodigy, died way too young. I should have mentioned him in the "Lead Guitar" thread.

MJ Bing
09-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Herbie Hancock
"The New Standard"
Mostly covers
Released in '96 :D

oznob
09-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Hank Marvin and The Shadows, "Wonderful Land." Mike Oldfield did a great cover of this song. Hank can make that Strat talk!

Steve K
09-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Hi all,

Just got Nilsson's Nilsson Schmilsson and A Touch of Schmilsson, both re-mastered re-issues. Used to own both LPs back in the 70's, you know with those timeless classics, like Without You and Coconut. Well, they're still great listens now as they were back then, espcially when these re-masterings are just sonically fantastic! Plus they've got bonus tracks that were taken originally with the final tracks, mostly of demo nature, like Nilsson singing Without You with just a piano accompaniment, not to mention Spanish and Italian language versions of that song, or Coconut with just a guitar.

On Re-mastered Re-issues: Over the past couple of years, maybe starting from around the mid-90's, there have been many, many re-issues of 'classic' titles, a welcome trend for those of us who've owned the original LPs and have wanted to hear them again, but couldn't or didn't because either one didn't want to bother with all the idiosyncracies of analog players or the re-issued CDs just sounded like crap. But most of these recent re-issue CDs have been re-mastered with the latest digital mixing equipments, with careful consideration for sonic quality and dynamics.

I've just started to re-collect many of the older 'classic' albums. They just sound fantastic on my JBLs!

Steve K

Ducatista47
09-10-2007, 10:18 PM
The best piano jazz I have ever heard, and excellent recordings to boot. Japanese CD's in this case, the set is eight discs. The absolute master at the peak of his form, one week before he died.

Get out your SET amps for this one. If you think you know Bill Evans and you haven't heard his later work (1970 on), you don't know Bill Evans. This period makes his classic work seem cute by comparison. And these are his greatest recordings of all.

There is another set of these gigs, The Last Waltz. Haven't heard it yet, but can't wait to.

Clark in Peoria

Titanium Dome
09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi all,

Just got Nilsson's Nilsson Schmilsson and A Touch of Schmilsson, both re-mastered re-issues. Used to own both LPs back in the 70's, you know with those timeless classics, like Without You and Coconut. Well, they're still great listens now as they were back then, espcially when these re-masterings are just sonically fantastic! Plus they've got bonus tracks that were taken originally with the final tracks, mostly of demo nature, like Nilsson singing Without You with just a piano accompaniment, not to mention Spanish and Italian language versions of that song, or Coconut with just a guitar.

On Re-mastered Re-issues: Over the past couple of years, maybe starting from around the mid-90's, there have been many, many re-issues of 'classic' titles, a welcome trend for those of us who've owned the original LPs and have wanted to hear them again, but couldn't or didn't because either one didn't want to bother with all the idiosyncracies of analog players or the re-issued CDs just sounded like crap. But most of these recent re-issue CDs have been re-mastered with the latest digital mixing equipments, with careful consideration for sonic quality and dynamics.

I've just started to re-collect many of the older 'classic' albums. They just sound fantastic on my JBLs!

Steve K

I agree with this assessment overall. Some guys don't like the whole remaster/reissue thing, but I do. :yes:

Hoerninger
09-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Ravel: Daphnis et Cloé
Recorded 1955
Living Stereo SACD

Beautiful in any respect.

whizzer
09-12-2007, 04:54 AM
There is another set of these gigs, The Last Waltz. Haven't heard it yet, but can't wait to. Clark in Peoria[/quote]

I really like all I've ever heard of Bill Evans, but, unfortunately, nearly $200 for "Consecration" is more than I can spend right now--by "another set of these gigs," do you mean that the same material is available on "The Last Waltz," or that it is other material from the same sessions?

Ducatista47
09-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Other material from the same sessions. Consecration is "The final recordings Part 2." The Last Waltz was apparently issued first. Both collections are unique and contain different songs. One collection is the first sets from each of the eight nights; the other is the second sets. I can second the reviews that he didn't repeat himself. Each rendering of each song on any night is different from any other night. This is a real feast.

Try Googling the titles and many reviews will come up. Some are on sale sites. Note that prices go to about ninety dollars. Even better prices may occur on ebay, I don't know.

Some of the material I found is quite touching. For instance, recollections of his sidemen wondering how he mustered the effort to play at all, never mind at the incredible level he did, when he was for most purposes already dead physically. I guess he was determined to make the best of his last opportunities to make music, to move beyond what even he had already accomplished. Most reviews I found declare the work probably the pinnacle of piano trio playing, then or now. I know I've never heard anything even close, except other late work from Mr. Evans himself.

Clark

Titanium Dome
09-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Bill Evans is really good, but here's a Bill I like better: Bill Nelson.

Yeah, yeah, I know he's an acquired taste, but it's a taste I acquired a long time ago. :yes:

Magnificent Dream People

hjames
09-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Bill Evans is really good, but here's a Bill I like better: Bill Nelson.

Yeah, yeah, I know he's an acquired taste, but it's a taste I acquired a long time ago. :yes:

Magnificent Dream People

Ah, Mahn!! Bebop Deluxe, Channel Light vessel, Tons of solo releases - Wonderful stuff!

From Yorkshire - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nelson_%28musician%29

Not from Japan - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_%28band%29

JBLOG
09-13-2007, 12:50 PM
The Bill Nelson from Japan??
I think I have his Map of Dreams LP tucked away in the closet. Yea!
I always liked David Sylvian too. Gone to Earth is in high rotation!

UreiCollector
09-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Morphine - Good

Not the best quality recording, but i just love 'low rock'

oznob
09-17-2007, 09:55 PM
"The Man Who Sold the World", David Bowie. Mick Ronson laying down one of the best lead guitar hooks ever, IMHO!

hjames
09-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Shawn Phillips: Second Contribution ...

- Found my old Stanton 681EEE, bought a new headshell and stylus and whew - sounds verra NICE!

Titanium Dome
09-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Paul Overstreet "It Takes a Whole Lot of Liquor to Like Her."

No further comment. :rotfl:

hjames
09-23-2007, 06:44 AM
mashup/cross cultural influences

Masala plus Polish hip-hop add a dose of Tuvan throat singer Ondar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTbSL2wM0fk

fotodan
09-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Shawn Phillips: Second Contribution ...

- Found my old Stanton 681EEE, bought a new headshell and stylus and whew - sounds verra NICE!

Ahhhh, the joys of vinyl.. Gotta love them Stanton 681EEE's.

richluvsound
09-24-2007, 06:50 AM
I thought this guy deserved a mention . You hear his influence a lot . Anyone here Listern to DJ Shadow ?.... David Axelrod- He did a lot of work with Lou Rawls. IMHO, a brilliant producer and composer. My personel favorite 'Holy Thursday'

Rich

Titanium Dome
09-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Ah, well, David Axelrod is it? I have his LP "Earth Rot," which was his early 70s warning about environmental disaster.

One night at college I had a term project due the next day in my Aesthetics class, so I borrowed the title and concept to construct an "artistic collage" on an old barn plank, while profusely imbibing some Boone's Farm. Gor, what a mess! Anyway, David Axelrod got me an "A."