PDA

View Full Version : Benefit from using XLR connections on 5235 X-over?

scorpio
12-01-2009, 03:19 PM
My power amp recently fried, so I just got a new Proceed Amp-2 from e-bay, this has the choice of XLR and RCA connections.

Has anyone compared connecting a 5235 to their bass amps with both type of connectors? If I remember well other discussions here, the 5235 is not truly balanced, so I was wondering if there was any sonic benefit (or other) going to XLR connectors??

THanks,

grumpy
12-01-2009, 03:44 PM
5235 output pins 1,2 are tied to ground, so if one were to wire up a cable
using XLR on the 5235 end, and RCA on the AMP-2, I would expect the
5235 output pin 3 would be appropriately wired to the RCA center pin.

I do not -expect- there would be an audible benefit in driving half of the
balanced input of the AMP-2 and shorting the other half (reduced to same
gain as single-ended input, but possibly noisier)... but experiment away.

I have two amps from this Proceed series and like them very much for driving
JBL 15" drivers such as the 2235H.

Robh3606
12-01-2009, 09:00 PM
If you decide to go using the balanced output watch how the pins are wired. Like Grumpy says 1 and 2 are ground, conventional wiring now is pin 2 Hot. Just check before you try any hook-ups.

Rob:)

scorpio
12-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Thanks guys, yep, I've got all the pin assignments for both pieces of gear, they are not the same, so it's a matter of DIY cables. I'll make a set anyway as I'd like shorter connectors to avoid the cabling mess.

I just tried the proceed for about an hour yesteday, without proper volume tuning, but it seems like a good performer, certainly better than the HK Citation 22 it replaces.

jcrobso
12-02-2009, 10:05 AM
US was different from Europe. Both now seem to be Pin 1 is ground, pin 2 is +signal or hot, pin3 is -signal. This is for a balanced connection.

If you need to put a single ended/unbalanced into a balanced XLR, Pin 3 should also be grounded.

Europe was pin3+ or hot and pin2 was -signal, pin 1 has all wise been ground.

4313B
12-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I just tried the proceed for about an hour yesteday, without proper volume tuning, but it seems like a good performer, certainly better than the HK Citation 22 it replaces.If I remember correctly pretty much anything is better than a Citation 22. :rotfl:

"Those things are grungy dude... We had a bunch in the lab and thankfully they all blew up and ended up in the dumpster."

And hooking up an even grungier 5235 in front of one, well, two wrongs don't make a right.

grumpy
12-02-2009, 01:53 PM
...three lefts do though. ;)

I would expect a bigger difference in going from the Citation 22 to the AMP-2
than a change in cable connectors.

Continuing to remove/replace weak links is a good thing.

scorpio
12-02-2009, 03:12 PM
If I remember correctly pretty much anything is better than a Citation 22. :rotfl:

"Those things are grungy dude... We had a bunch in the lab and thankfully they all blew up and ended up in the dumpster."

And hooking up an even grungier 5235 in front of one, well, two wrongs don't make a right.

Well further listening today definitely concluded that it was a good choice not to bother repairing the citation 22... As to the 5235, for it's price and with some changes of opamp, I think it's pretty decent (although it will get changed eventually, I'm just hoping that papa Nelson will eventually publish the schematic of the X-over he mentions from time to time on his DIY site, it would go well with my B1 pre....

grumpy
12-02-2009, 03:43 PM
might talk to Ian...