PDA

View Full Version : Radian. Worth trying?

timc
11-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi.

A friend of mine wants to make a similar system to what I'm making. 2435HPL/H9800+12"

Due to poor availability of the 2435Hpl someone have adviced him to go for the Radian 950PB driver. This is a 4" diaphragm, 2" exit driver. The same guy also recommended him not to bother with the 2452H-SL.

After reading much positive about the 2452H-SL on this site, im quite confused.

Any advice would be welcome.

Best regards Tim

4313B
11-25-2009, 01:22 PM
someone have adviced him to go for the Radian 950PB driver. This is a 4" diaphragm, 2" exit driver. The same guy also recommended him not to bother with the 2452H-SL.The Radian is a $439 driver. The JBL is a $1,429 driver. Now do you understand why your friend's advisor recommends not bothering with the JBL?

After reading much positive about the 2452H-SL on this site, im quite confused.The 2453H-SL is intended for experienced professionals who make sound their business.

I suspect the Radian is the better bet for the guy who has to Google to find out wtf to do with all the parts and pieces he aquires while playing speaker designer for a day.

mikebake
11-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Yes, Virginia, there really is a free lunch.........................................:o:

jcrobso
11-25-2009, 01:37 PM
BEYMA CP800/Ti - 2" PRO HIGH FREQ. DRIVER

http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/productos.php

timc
11-25-2009, 01:57 PM
The Radian is a $439 driver. The JBL is a $1,429 driver. Now do you understand why your friend's advisor recommends not bothering with the JBL?

The 2453H-SL is intended for experienced professionals who make sound their business.

I suspect the Radian is the better bet for the guy who has to Google to find out wtf to do with all the parts and pieces he aquires while playing speaker designer for a day.

Yes. Normally I would agree, and dismiss the whole thing as the usual internet rant.

The reason I'm bothering you at all is that this guy claims he is a 13 year JBL pro, employee........

-Tim

Mr. Widget
11-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Beyma, BMS, B+C, Eminence, 18 Sound, RCF, P. Audio, Peavey, Radian, JBL, TAD... there are many choices.

According to one authority, John Meyer, "Not many people make high drivers at this quality level - there's only really TAD and JBL."

http://www.meyersound.com/support/forums/talkshop/drivers.htm

Many choices, but very few if you want top quality... an old Ford and a new Bentley will both take you to the store, you have to decide which is best for you.

Widget

timc
11-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Beyma, BMS, B+C, Eminence, 18 Sound, RCF, P. Audio, Peavey, Radian, JBL, TAD... there are many choices.

According to one authority, John Meyer, "Not many people make high drivers at this quality level - there's only really TAD and JBL."

http://www.meyersound.com/support/forums/talkshop/drivers.htm

Many choices, but very few if you want top quality... an old Ford and a new Bentley will both take you to the store, you have to decide which is best for you.

Widget

Wise word Mr. Widget.

Maybe i should do a little more explanation.

As you all might know, I have been slowly working on a diy system based around the K2S9800 and GT's home system.

My friend (who have been been burrowing through this forum for the last few weeks) Went with me to audition the S9800 in another friends brand new listening room. He was completely taken in by the effortlessness of it. This combined with the seemingly endless dynamic capabilities of the speakers, did that he want to make something similar to me. The reason beeing $$, and that his listening space is not large enough for a 15" system.

So, since the 2435hpl is rather scarce here, we are searching for something that can give him something close to its performance. There was a pair of 435al's on ebay but they slipped away. Retail for the 2435Hpl here is $2500+.

Getting a statement like that form Mr. Meyer is saying something. At least in my book :)

-Tim

4313B
11-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Yes. Normally I would agree, and dismiss the whole thing as the usual internet rant.

The reason I'm bothering you at all is that this guy claims he is a 13 year JBL pro, employee........Neato.

We had another JBL employee get on here years back and go on and on about what a piece of garbage the 2344A horn was. He received a permanent ban for acting like an idiot...

Good luck with your quest to build something like an S9800. They're pretty nice. Make sure you look closely at the S9900 schematic as well.

timc
11-26-2009, 01:37 AM
Good luck with your quest to build something like an S9800. They're pretty nice. Make sure you look closely at the S9900 schematic as well.

Thanks. Just to make it clear. I don't walk around believing I'm going to best the S9800, but it is a part of my quest to get the soundsystem i want. And it is a very educational process. Hopefully I will be able to afford a S9900 someday..........

I will have a look at the S9900 schematics.

-Tim

timc
11-26-2009, 04:35 AM
This thread can close now. We have been offered a set of 2435HPL's at a fair price, so now we can have the best (almost at least) :)

Thanks for all input.

-Tim

spkrman57
11-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Day to those who observe the holiday!

This thread can close now. We have been offered a set of 2435HPL's at a fair price, so now we can have the best (almost at least) :)

Thanks for all input.

-Tim

timc
11-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Thank you kind sir. :D

-Tim