PDA

View Full Version : SACD/DVD-A ......Help

SEAWOLF97
11-24-2009, 11:27 AM
So I dont own any SACD/DVDA's ......but I did hear one that sounded great (2 channel) ............

I'd like to get a combi player and hopefully it will have a better DAC than my 1991 Sony ES deck (tho I have no complaints with it)

Would be used 2 channel only, not even hooked to the HT

Looked at the Oppos and bumped into this Yammy

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=451767

the details say (FWIW)...........

The DVD-S1700 is compatible with both DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD. These multi-channel music formats provide a surround sound music experience that is much more natural and lifelike than normal stereo. It delivers sound quality that is superior even to some more expensive players for a number of reasons. It uses high performance 192kHz/24-bit audio DACs for all channels. The Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio circuits are completely independent and optimized for each format (the Super Audio CD circuit is extremely simple and straight). This guarantees highest quality with both types of disc (format selection is provided). An Audio Direct can be selected to ensure that no interference from the video circuitry can affect the sound.

the thing is available for $99 shipped (MSRP $449)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115203

Q ? ...Is it worth pursuing and is it the right player for my intended use ?

(yeah, I've searched the web..but sometimes you guys's opinions are more honest)

hjames
11-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Got my OPPO dv981 for $99 - normal retail was around $200 - not currently in production but you can find them used pretty cheaply. It does all of the above SACD, DVD-A, and HDCD, plus it does Dolby, DTS etc from DVDs AND had the upconverting technology as well. I'm real impressed with mine, and TiDome has one as well ...

Or, get the new one that also does Bluray for $499!
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/
(think TiDome got one of those too!)

So I dont own any SACD/DVDA's ......but I did hear one that sounded great (2 channel) ............

I'd like to get a combi player and hopefully it will have a better DAC than my 1991 Sony ES deck (tho I have no complaints with it)

Looked at the Oppos and bumped into this Yammy

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=451767

the details say (FWIW)...........

The DVD-S1700 is compatible with both DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD. These multi-channel music formats provide a surround sound music experience that is much more natural and lifelike than normal stereo. It delivers sound quality that is superior even to some more expensive players for a number of reasons. It uses high performance 192kHz/24-bit audio DACs for all channels. The Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio circuits are completely independent and optimized for each format (the Super Audio CD circuit is extremely simple and straight). This guarantees highest quality with both types of disc (format selection is provided). An Audio Direct can be selected to ensure that no interference from the video circuitry can affect the sound.

the thing is available for $99 shipped (MSRP $449)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115203

Q ? ...Is it worth pursuing and is it the right player for my intended use ?

(yeah, I've searched the web..but sometimes you guys's opinions are more honest)

rdgrimes
11-24-2009, 12:46 PM
This decision requires some thought. Primarily because you intend to use the player for analog output only. The differences in the varying level of DAC quality in players can be significant, although in the upper end of the food chain the differences tend to blur. As a dedicated player with no HT use, I'd be looking at a more expensive choice in order to get the best DAC for my bucks. If you "might" someday task the player with HT duties then the choice is more complicated. Bang for buck for analog-only duty, the Denon players seem to rise to the top of many lists. Sony does too.

stephane RAME
11-24-2009, 12:57 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26948

Stéphane

BMWCCA
11-24-2009, 01:07 PM
There's a thread over on Audiokarma about a $36 Yamaha that does SACD/DVA. I think it was even free shipping. But it doesn't come in black! ;)

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259113

SEAWOLF97
11-24-2009, 01:31 PM
There's a thread over on Audiokarma about a $36 Yamaha that does SACD/DVA. I think it was even free shipping. But it doesn't come in black! ;)

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259113

that link takes us to your post about a $36 HK, and tracking the eBay number to the deck that appears not to even do SACD ($39)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390109466712&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D390109466712%26_sacat%3 DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I'm using a harman-kardon DVD player I bought as a re-furb from their Ebay store about a year ago. I think it cost $36 and appeared to be brand-new. Lauded for its audio converters, I've used it solely for CDs and have no idea how a DVD looks through it. Model was similar, if not the same, as item #390109466712 from Harman listed right now. Sounds great in my upstairs system: Soundcraftsmen DX4200, Crown PS-400, JBL L7. I used it to replace an older TOTL Sony that had a lot of age on it and I felt the sound really improved.

Harman Kardon DVD 38
"Plays a wide range of formats, including DVD-Video discs, DVD-Audio discs, CD audio discs, CD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, WMA, MP3, Windows Media Audio, JPEG still images and VCD discs"

Or, get the new one that also does Bluray for $499!
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/
(think TiDome got one of those too!)

\

rdgrimes
11-24-2009, 02:35 PM
In the $100 price range you are looking at hardware that is intended mainly as a digital transport, and analog outputs are more of a second thought quality-wise. If you want to get into high-res audio you deserve to be looking at better analog quality. Look at some of the Denon DVD/SACD players, perhaps used, and expect to pay more than $100.

rdgrimes
11-24-2009, 03:57 PM
This just popped up in a similar thread at AVS:

http://www.dakmart.com/product_info.php?products_id=11217 Looks like a good bet.

Be advised that you will need a monitor hooked up to complete your setup for any player of this type.

JeffW
11-24-2009, 04:13 PM
I've been looking around the different player sites on the net (even seeing rdgrimes in a couple of the Oppo threads) and was surprised to learn that SACD players generally don't have a digital output stream like a CD player does. Some of the better ones evidently do, but it's a different kettle of fish than buying a cheap CD transport with digital out and running it into a nice DAC. Seems the SACD players do the digital to analog conversion onboard and (again, mostly) output analog audio. So buying a cheap SACD player might possibly stick you with a sub par onboard DAC if I'm understanding this mess correctly.

I'd be all over that HHB player Stephane linked to if it'd do Blu-ray. Maybe they'll have a Blu-ray compatible model out by the time I've read the entire internet's posts on the subject (just one Oppo BDP-83 thread was over 500 pages).

SEAWOLF97
11-24-2009, 04:27 PM

http://www.dakmart.com/product_info.php?products_id=11217 Looks like a good bet.

Be advised that you will need a monitor hooked up to complete your setup for any player of this type.

that may be just the ticket....I've got a couple of Denon receivers that I like...

can a laptop sub for the setup monitor ?

thanx for link ( I know nothing abt Dakmart ..is it related to the old DAK ?? )

LATER EDIT: I went ahead and ordered the Denon ....I dont give a RA abt blueray (even in my HT) and this player will be for 2 channel audio ONLY

JBL 4645
11-24-2009, 04:55 PM
I’d look for one that can also player that can support bluray. I must say its taken this long for perfect image/sound to catch and I’m sure glad I brought one, DVD is just a last resort now.;)

BMWCCA
11-24-2009, 06:48 PM
that link takes us to your post about a $36 HK, and tracking the eBay number to the deck that appears not to even do SACD ($39)You didn't look far enough into the thread. :D

This is what they're buying: http://www.buy.com/prod/yamaha-dv-s5860-dvd-player-dvd-r-rw-dvd-r-dvd-r-rw-cd-rw-dvd-video/q/loc/111/203086305.html

Yamaha DV-S5860 DVD Player - DVS5860SL
DVD+R/RW, DVD+R, DVD-R/RW, CD-RW - DVD Video, Video CD, SVCD, DVD Audio, SACD, CD-DA, Picture CD, DivX, MP3, WMA, JPEG Playback - 1 Disc(s) - Progressive Scan - Silver

This product qualifies for Free Shipping.
List Price: See Details $174.99
Price: $35.99

hjames
11-24-2009, 07:02 PM
I’d look for one that can also player that can support bluray. I must say its taken this long for perfect image/sound to catch and I’m sure glad I brought one, DVD is just a last resort now.;)

You really are unable to read him tell us 3 times that he doesn't care for BluRay - I think the key phrase was
"I dont give a RA abt blueray (even in my HT) ..."

So, he WON'T look for one, no matter what YOU bought ...

SEAWOLF97
11-24-2009, 07:31 PM
You really are unable to read him tell us 3 times that he doesn't care for BluRay - I think the key phrase was

"I dont give a RA abt blueray (even in my HT) ..."

So, he WON'T look for one, no matter what YOU bought ...

too subtle, I guess ???? :barf:( I'll be more direct next time..:blink:)

Bluray ? We ain't got no bluray. We don't need no bluray ! I don't have to buy any stinkin' bluray !!

(was that more direct, HJ ?? translatable into UKish ?)

MikeBrewster77
11-24-2009, 07:40 PM
LATER EDIT: I went ahead and ordered the Denon ....

I have a Denon universal that I think does the job quite nicely and the SACD's I have I generally play 2 channel only.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. :thmbsup:

SEAWOLF97
11-24-2009, 08:27 PM
I have a Denon universal that I think does the job quite nicely and the SACD's I have I generally play 2 channel only.

thanx for that Mike,,,the YAm wud be $15 cheaper, but everything in the stack is black already, and I've had good luck with Denon and no joy with Yam electronics (do like their higher end speakers, tho)

rdgrimes
11-24-2009, 09:33 PM
that may be just the ticket....I've got a couple of Denon receivers that I like...

can a laptop sub for the setup monitor ?

thanx for link ( I know nothing abt Dakmart ..is it related to the old DAK ?? )

LATER EDIT: I went ahead and ordered the Denon ....I dont give a RA abt blueray (even in my HT) and this player will be for 2 channel audio ONLY
Should work nicely for you. It's screaming good deal. It's got the Burr-Brown DACs that are popular. You should get analog quality that's comparable to any mid-level AVR, or better.

You can output analog video or HDMI from the player, if your laptop has either input then you should be able to watch the setup display. Once fully configured for your needs you don't need it but with many DVD-A discs you do need to see the disc menu to navigate. Some folks go with a small analog LCD, like 8-12", for such purposes. With SACD, it should auto-play. But you need to set the player to default to 2-ch SACD when there's a choice of stereo or m-ch audio. Hopefully the manual will 'splain all that. The vast majority of good hi-res tunes out there are on SACD, not so much with DVD-A.

JBL 4645
11-25-2009, 06:01 AM
too subtle, I guess ???? :barf:( I'll be more direct next time..:blink:)

Bluray ? We ain't got no bluray. We don't need no bluray ! I don't have to buy any stinkin' bluray !!

(was that more direct, HJ ?? translatable into UKish ?)

Tom, mate I can understand you’re cynical about the format and I was one of the biggest cynical one out there! I was for DVD 100%. Now that percentage has dropped to about 70%!

I brought three Bluray titles today and not one single cheap priced DVD, now then!

The biggest benefit you’ll see from and trust me, I’ve compared Terminator 3 (side by side), well not exactly side by side I had to remove the DVD from the Bluray player and I noted the image mentally!

When looking at the Bluray on the LCD video projector at 1080i as that is what my LCD supports it was like watching it at the cinema, still at the end day its still video! but video image with an edge a razor sharpness and colour tones that, have incredible texture.

You can run a bluray on regular CRT the image will still look miles sharper over DVD, or better still on video projector.

The sound is like listening to laserdisc dts PCM, thou I haven’t got a Bluray with dts as of yet and I’m not huge liker of dts on DVD, it hardly even gets played except dts laserdisc.

The benefit for the UK with the sound is the 24 frames per second as that is the correct film speed rate and it keeps the lows lower! The faster PAL speed up bumps the frequency up a few Hz.

Plus it sounds ridiculous at PAL 30fps:barf:Bluray 24fps:applaud:
In the US the NTSC laserdiscs DVD are at 24fps if I’m not too mistaken.

Get a player that supports Bluray and sod the format war, I’m not even thinking about it anymore.

My bluray Philips BDP3000 only cost £97.00 that’s like just under $200.00 dollars for augment sakes.

hjames
11-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Nah nah, boo boo - you still aren't LISTENING!

He doesn't have a TV in that system,
he ONLY wants 2 channel AUDIO use.
He's not bein' cynical, with no TV in that room
he doesn't WANT or NEED a Bluray in that room,
he's not gonna buy a stinkin' BLUERAY for that system!

WAKE UP and smell the bitstream, Ash -

Obviously, you CAN'T understand this thread because you just keep yammering on and on about Bluray!

Tom, mate I can understand you’re cynical about the format and I was one of the biggest cynical one out there! I was for DVD 100%. Now that percentage has dropped to about 70%!

Get a player that supports Bluray and sod the format war, I’m not even thinking about it anymore.

JBL 4645
11-25-2009, 08:33 AM

He doesn't have a TV in that system, he ONLY wants 2 channel AUDIO use.

I am Heather, and I'm fresh out of bleach. :D The bits on DolbyTrue and dtsHDMA on the Jason Borne films eats DVD for breakfast.

This new technology doesn’t really cost as much as some might think. Its how it’s put together that counts. I’m still running a CRT and bluary looks equally good on it over my friends LCD 42” that just lags and jitters, on regular DVD and TV digital broadcasts, not sure if a Bluray would better on it?

I might drop on over to my friends this afternoon and take a few Bluray over but I’m not leaving him with Bluray title, he’d probably use it as an ashtray.

Also I gave him my optical lead so that he can run the PS3 on the same AVR that I’m, running! And he was happy that he can enjoy high resolution PCM but I warned to be careful as PCM would bugger up his speakers and his B&W DM601 can take a beating but the drivers aren’t audio limited protected, nothing in his set-up is.

Anyway I want my optical lead back for the laserdisc player because I can’t run dts without!

Mr. Widget
11-25-2009, 09:54 AM
that link takes us to your post about a $36 HK, and tracking the eBay number to the deck that appears not to even do SACD ($39)

In the $100 price range you are looking at hardware that is intended mainly as a digital transport, and analog outputs are more of a second thought quality-wise. If you want to get into high-res audio you deserve to be looking at better analog quality. Look at some of the Denon DVD/SACD players, perhaps used, and expect to pay more than $100.$100 players... $60 player... $30 players...

You get what you pay for. Oppo an undisputed master of bang for the buck has finally made a universal player with upgraded analog outputs... absolutely necessary if you want to hear the benefits of SACD. Even Oppo has to charge $900 for such a device. Oppo has built their brand on shaving pennies to keep performance up and the price down. You simply can not buy a high quality universal player for the price of two large pizzas... and why would expect to?

If you are looking at a player that will output SACD via HDMI, you still won't be hearing what SACD can do as some of those players down convert the bit stream into PCM and others require an SACD DAC in an AVR... I don't think there are any solutions out there that will better the sound quality of uncompressed redbook, so why bother. Unfortunately in Sony's infinite wisdom to protect copyright they inadvertently killed yet another format that they brought to the table.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
11-25-2009, 10:53 AM
$100 players... $60 player... $30 players...
You get what you pay for.
Widget

You are confusing street price with MSRP .....many of these players are $350-450 MSRP and have been devalued by newer features/styles/models and are generally refurbs...

He doesn't have a TV in that system,
he ONLY wants 2 channel AUDIO use.

Obviously, you CAN'T understand this thread because you just keep yammering on and on about Bluray!

He's convinced me .... I'm buying a BlueStingRay.... :barf:

JBL 4645
11-25-2009, 05:05 PM
You are confusing street price with MSRP .....many of these players are $350-450 MSRP and have been devalued by newer features/styles/models and are generally refurbs...

He's convinced me .... I'm buying a BlueStingRay.... :barf:

LOL Tom, now that’s funny at least you have sense of humour.:D

westend
11-27-2009, 11:18 PM
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what the Denon does over your older Sony player. I went with the $35 Yamaha and it, also, has 24 bit 192mhz DAC. I believe it was the most intelligent purchase I've made in awhile.

Allanvh5150
11-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Here is the answer that you are looking for. I have the very same Yamaha in my system and although it plays DVD's very well, it plays CD, SACD and most of the others very well. I can recommened it to you.

Allan.

SEAWOLF97
11-28-2009, 05:15 PM

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what the Denon does over your older Sony player. I went with the $35 Yamaha and it, also, has 24 bit 192mhz DAC. I believe it was the most intelligent purchase I've made in awhile.

Here is the answer that you are looking for. I have the very same Yamaha in my system and although it plays DVD's very well, it plays CD, SACD and most of the others very well. I can recommened it to you.

Allan.

Thanx all for the suggestions ...as I said ..I have no issues with my current Sony ES player, but I know the newer DACs must be better..I'll move the Sony to a secondary system and take that systems 6 CD changer to online sales.

I really had no idea that a SACD/DVDA player could be had that reasonably. (yes, I looked at Oppos...didnt want to buy used and they seem to hold their value) ....$52 delivered :applaud:
(tho it doesnt have bluray - which I desperately need in a 2 channel audio setup :o:)

JBL 4645
11-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I was looking at this Oppo BDP-831 model not released as of yet as its not showing up on Google product search as price, rather coming soon!
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=oppo+BDP+831&spell=1&oi=spell (http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=oppo+BDP+831&spell=1&oi=spell)

As you can see it has SACD and Bluray/DVD all under one roof.
http://www.aventhusiast.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/OPPO-BDP-831-left-angle.jpg
http://www.aventhusiast.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/OPPO-BDP-831-BACK.jpg

Titanium Dome
11-28-2009, 08:29 PM
I was looking at this Oppo BDP-831 model not released as of yet as its not showing up on Google product search as price, rather coming soon!
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=oppo+BDP+831&spell=1&oi=spell (http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=oppo+BDP+831&spell=1&oi=spell)

I have this player; in the US it's simply the BDP-83. It is indeed a very nice player, but its strengths tend toward HDMI and digital optical outputs.

In the stereo and/or analog MCH audio realm, I have an Oppo 980H that handles audio with great accuracy. Its video performance is pretty good, but I don't use it for video at all. It's in the Performance Series multi-channel music set up, and I think its analog audio output is equal to or better than the BDP-83.

In fact, I'm going to pose that question on AVS to see if some of the guys over there have compared the two, even the analog upgraded BDP-83SE, which is supposed to significantly improve the analog audio output.

hjames
11-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Ash - just go to the OPPO site and look-up the prices directly!

Model 83 - http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/ (http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83SE/) - Price: $499.00

Disc Types: BD-Video, DVD-Video, AVCHD, DVD-Audio, SACD, CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD,
CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE

Model 83SE - http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83SE/ - Price: $899.00

Disc Types: BD-Video, DVD-Video, AVCHD, DVD-Audio, SACD, CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD,
CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE

Oh wait, its all MOOT because Seawolf wants an inexpensive 2 channel player, and,
as he keeps telling you He Don't Need No Shtinkin' BlueRay!
and you keep not hearing him!

rdgrimes
11-28-2009, 10:00 PM
The Oppo BDP-831 is a EU model who's release has been indefinitely postponed. And yes it's identical, hardware-wise, to the BDP-83.

Either the BDP-83 or BDP-83SE are massive over-kill for the stated purpose, since 1/2 the cost is in video processing.

Consensus is that for 2-ch analog, the BDP-83SE is a big step up from the standard model. Of course in audiophile circles, what constitutes a big step may not be the same as in the real world. Either player has VERY good 2-ch analog quality. There are certainly lots of places to put money that will result in bigger improvements for most folks.

JBL 4645
11-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Oh wait, its all MOOT because Seawolf wants an inexpensive 2 channel player, and,
as he keeps telling you He Don't Need No Shtinkin' BlueRay!
and you keep not hearing him!

Well maybe this will help then.:D

We don't need no stinking Bluray
We don't need no stinking digital control.
No dark sarcasm in the listening room.
JBL4645, leave Seawolf97 alone.
Hey, JBL4645, leave Seawolf97 alone!
All in all it's just another bit in the SACD.
All in all you're just another bit in the SACD.
We don't need no stinking Bluray
We don't need no stinking digital control.
No dark sarcasm in the listening room.
JBL4645, leave Seawolf97 alone.
Hey, JBL4645, leave Seawolf97 alone!
All in all you're just another bit in the digital stream.
All in all you're just another bit in the digital stream.

toddalin
11-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Well I think that you may be missing out and will eventually come to that conclusion. Then you just may find that Ashley has a valid point.

Once you delve into SACD, you will find that the number of discs available in SACD stereo-only is very limited, but if you had gone multi-channel 5.1, you would open up a whole world of available discs (including such niceties as Pink Floyd's DSOM and and Elton John's GBYBR). Then as long as you've gone multi-channel, why not also enjoy those 5.1 DVD-audio discs also including Eagles' HC and Dire Straits' BIA.

The next stepping off point then becomes blue-ray with its high resolution, lossless, Dolby Digital and DTS formats, even if you never connect a video screen. Tom Petty is already re-recording in this format and others will follow suit.

SEAWOLF97
11-29-2009, 12:34 PM
but if you had gone multi-channel 5.1, you would open up a whole world of available discs

It is a 2 channel , non-hdmi complainant , system with 2 speakers

Oy Vey, I give up.

hjames
11-29-2009, 12:40 PM
It is a 2 channel , non-hdmi compliant , system with 2 speakers

Oy Vey, I give up.
:blink:
the problem is we have been too playful about all of this ...
they are not taking you at your word,
they know what you want,
even if you refuse to listen to them!:applaud:

toddalin
11-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Oy Vey, I give up.

That's fine if you want to build a system around a couple available discs with the very real chance that no more like them will be available in the future.

SEAWOLF97
11-29-2009, 01:04 PM
the problem is we have been too playful about all of this ...
they are not taking you at your word,
they KNOW what you want,
even if you refuse to listen to them!:applaud:

Well, I know what I want. I want a replacement for an aging CD player ...I will not ever buy SACD/DVD/BLURAY disks .....some that I get from the library are SACD and I cant play them to their potential right now. In fact, vinyl gets run much more often around here , so a big investment in a rarely used player is stupid.

As for video, I already have a NON-bluray player that feeds my CRT television quite nicely ...most newer movies SUCK , and I watch what I like which many times is in MONO (OH, NO..I said a 4 letter audio word :o:)

I dont buy any disks..(except LP's) .just play what I've got and it doesnt matter what the hell is coming out on 5.1/7.1/9.1 ...there are 2 speakers in the music room.

andywin
11-29-2009, 01:44 PM

Oy Vey, I give up.

I don't know how much they go for on your side of the pond but I use a Pioneer PD-D9-J 2 channel SACD & CD player that is being heavily discounted in the UK.

It doesn't play DVDA or SACD multi channel but I've not found any DVDA or multichannel SACD that sounds anywhere near a realistic sound-stage so I'm not that bothered.

The playback on SACD and CD is glorious. It uses a Wolfson WM8741 DAC chipset that is the same used in found in Linn machines and it doesn't convert DSD to PCM and lose the benefits of SACD. Unfortunately most multi format players are let down by poor audio DAC's. The Yamaha you mentioned in your 1st post looks to be good though.

Might not quite what your looking for but sound great through my Array 1400's

Oh almost forgot, I like mono too.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AudioComponents

JBL 4645
11-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Well I think that you may be missing out and will eventually come to that conclusion. Then you just may find that Ashley has a valid point.

Once you delve into SACD, you will find that the number of discs available in SACD stereo-only is very limited, but if you had gone multi-channel 5.1, you would open up a whole world of available discs (including such niceties as Pink Floyd's DSOM and and Elton John's GBYBR). Then as long as you've gone multi-channel, why not also enjoy those 5.1 DVD-audio discs also including Eagles' HC and Dire Straits' BIA.

The next stepping off point then becomes blue-ray with its high resolution, lossless, Dolby Digital and DTS formats, even if you never connect a video screen. Tom Petty is already re-recording in this format and others will follow suit.

Tom Petty heartbreakers
http://www.tower.com/soundstage-presents-tom-petty-heartbreakers-live-in-concert-blu-ray/wapi/112413062

Woodstock bluray DolbyTrue 5.1
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/product/home-theater/blu-ray/woodstock-uce.html (http://www.dolby.com/consumer/product/home-theater/blu-ray/woodstock-uce.html)

I’m still stunned dazzled at the multi-track recoding mixes. Why skip on multi-channel. 15 years ago if it wasn’t for Dolby AC-3 laserdisc (1994) breaking new and opening new dimension into the living room, we’d still be listening to discrete six-track at the cinema today.

I like monaural, stereo, stereo matrix and discrete six-track and even 7.1 is still a rare find on Bluray with very few titles being released in 7.1. 5.1 is the common form and its channel layout hasn’t changed much in the past 31 years, since Superman the movie (1978) came out, with split-surrounds that is commonly called 5.1 today.

I can understand from Tom, view that he’s nervous, but I doubt very much. lol I know its like all new technology, and I think Bluray will stick around longer than laserdisc and that was prime format to own over VHS in its day.

Some players are so cheap compared to the £450.00 pounds I paid for DVD player 9 years ago. The Philips BDP3000 £97.00 pounds, now then! It also sounds neat when playing CD and I doubt blind will be able to tell the difference. Thou some do, have extra higher senses over most of us.:D

hjames
11-29-2009, 03:30 PM
:barf:
Buncha wankers COMPLETELY hijacked Tom's thread!

He's already made his decision and ordered what he wants and you're STILL yammering away about what he OUGHT to do ...

Its a 2 channel STEREO system, there are only 2 speakers -
any surround beyond that WON'T BE HEARD because he doesn't have channels to support it!
Tom would rather do 2 channels REALLY WELL rather than surround his room with cheesy plastic speakers
and bottom-of-the-line BS processors.
Un-Freakin-believeable!

Well, I know what I want. I want a replacement for an aging CD player ...
a big investment in a rarely used player is stupid.
... it doesnt matter what the hell is coming out on 5.1/7.1/9.1 ...there are 2 speakers in the music room.

SEAWOLF97
11-29-2009, 04:05 PM

He's already made his decision and ordered what he wants and you're STILL yammering away about what he OUGHT to do ...

any surround beyond that WON'T BE HEARD because he doesn't have channels to support it!
Tom would rather do 2 channels REALLY WELL rather than surround his room with cheesy plastic speakers
Un-Freakin-believeable!

>>Tom would rather do 2 channels REALLY WELL rather than surround his room with cheesy plastic speakers

its nice to know that a few people can still read....;)

the system is JBL 250ti's pushed by 375wpc BGW power with 2 turntables , a minidisc deck, a 6 disc ES player , EQ, SRS, a power conditioner and a single ES CD player ...there is NO TV in my livingroom (by choice & there will not be..while I'm here) ...its not a room for movies , its where we put nice stuff and I can go listen to audio and sit near the woodstove (which is higher quality entertainment that the recent movies --BLURAY or NOT) . PERIOD.

High Def crap is still crap ... surround music is unnatural.

Hell, if I want to see the latest garbage DVD..I can just flip over to the In-depth DVD and movie reviews - the JBL sound! (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19087) thread and watch screen caps.....paste them all together and there is more than enough for a full length flick.

I can understand from Tom, view that he’s nervous,

TOM aint nervous...he just doesnt want that crap

JBL 4645
11-29-2009, 04:17 PM

Un-Freakin-believeable!

Oh, personal insults now! lol

Well my, cheesy plastic control 5, have done alright for 20 years! lol You know they take full on the floor and just get back up and play! If it was wooden chances are I’d need duck tape to hold it together.

Oh, is that three smiles you used! What about the bandwidth that you keep worry about lol, oh, your funny tonight, Heather.:D

Crying out loud! Three pages! Just go out and buy one. You’re the one that has to make this decision. Buy it and ether, (give it the thumbs up or thumbs down), it’s that simple…You have like all of us do satisfactory rights to get your money back within 30 days if your disappointed with the product. Now then!

>>Tom would rather do 2 channels REALLY WELL rather than surround his room with cheesy plastic speakers

its nice to know that a few people can still read....;)

the system is JBL 250ti's pushed by 375wpc BGW power with 2 turntables , a minidisc deck, a 6 disc ES player , EQ, SRS, a power conditioner and a single ES CD player ...there is NO TV in my livingroom (by choice & there will not be..while I'm here) ...its not a room for movies , its where we put nice stuff and I can go listen to audio and sit near the woodstove (which is higher quality entertainment that the recent movies --BLURAY or NOT) . PERIOD.

High Def crap is still crap ... surround music is unnatural.

Hell, if I want to see the latest garbage DVD..I can just flip over to the In-depth DVD and movie reviews - the JBL sound! (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19087) thread and watch screen caps.....paste them all together and there is more than enough for a full length flick.

TOM aint nervous...he just doesnt want that crap
I know that Tom.:D
Yeah if you scroll down the page fast enough the images come alive! lol

andywin
11-29-2009, 04:23 PM

Un-Freakin-believeable!

Now I remember why I visit this forum so rarely nowadays

Thank you for your comments and have a wonderful life

hjames
11-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Very sorry if you took it personally.
You weren't the problem, and it wasn't addressed to you.
It'd be a darned shame to lose you.

Now I remember why I visit this forum so rarely nowadays

Thank you for your comments and have a wonderful life

Robh3606
11-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Very sorry if you took it personally.
You weren't the problem, and it wasn't addressed to you.
It'd be a darned shame to lose you.

Which is why it's a Forum Rule that personel attacks are not alowed. If I see one more personal attack in a post, in a reason for deletion text or anywhere else that person will be tacking a vacation.

Rob:)