PDA

View Full Version : True audio RTA?

Doug
06-05-2003, 10:28 PM
Hello:
I had posted some questions about characteristics of my speakers some time ago and was asked in a follow up post if I had an RTA. I did not know what that was and did some browsing. I came across the True Audio RTA. Does anyone have any experiences positive or negative with this RTA setup? What I want to do with it is determine the response of my components and speakers for equalization and troubleshooting. Is this appropriate or am I better off with another type of system?
Thanks for looking.

Doug

Oldmics
06-06-2003, 05:07 AM
Hi Doug,As a suggestion.Why dont you do a google search for RTA (real time analyzers) and see if you can download some freeware to acomplish your chores.I am not familier with the "True Audio"brand that you are seeking information on,sorry.I would recomended the Liberty Instruments site for a free RTA program.The link is www.libinst.com The program is Praxis and it offers a freeware RTA and T/S measurement.You will find the freeware information listed in the Products section.You will still need a microphone and the ability to interface the mic into your computer.For some people this is a convenient way to go.I guess it depends on how close your system and your computer can be to each other.Let us know how you make out.Best regards,Oldmics

boputnam
06-06-2003, 07:04 AM
Hey, Doug...

Good advice from oldmics. Depending upon how much you wish to spend, and how far you want to go, here's two more suggestions:

SmaartLive5: a phenomenal (and equally priced!) software package that I've used in FOH applications with terrific success. It is the industry standard for serious shows. I've used it here at home on my PC too, and it is simply real smart. They have mics and interconnects to facilitate getting it going. Complicated? Comprehensive might be more apt.
http://www.siasoft.com/

Gold Line RTA: I've also got an older version of the 30MP. It runs on 8 AA's (they last a long time), and have used this for FOH and monitor mix, where I need to spot check things. Comes with mic. Works EXCELLENT, very light. Road-worthy stout, too. Easy to use, very responsive.
http://www.gold-line.com/

Earl K
06-06-2003, 07:07 AM
Hi Doug

It seems I left you hanging on that RTA question a while back. Sorry about that. :( I can't answer your question about True Audios' RTA or even the Praxis software for that matter. Hopefully others can respond to their respective strengths and weaknesses. Freeware is always a great way to go. Still, a person will need to buy a test mic and use a "compatible" sound card and maybe a mic preamp. ie; nothing is ever as easy as at first glance. It's always critical to read the freewares' webSites' FAQs page ( if they have one ) Look for a "Users Feedback" page( or some facsimile ) about the software to suss out chip-set/sound-card compatibility issues to see if your computer/soundcard will run the software.
I use a Behringer 8024 EQ with it's built in RTA ( I bought a separate Audix test mic ) to make rough "1/3 octave only" measurements for my home system . This Behringer EQ/RTA is pretty inexpensive plus the RTA function will actually perform it's measurements "post - any added EQ" ( 1/3 octave &/or parametric ) . That function can be pretty handy to find out if some added equalization will actually do what one speculates it might do . Even if a person is adverse to permanently adding this EQ to the playback circuit and prefers to go other routes for changes , it's still a quick way to simulate or roughly approximate a bunch of what-if scenarios. Some examples might be; ( i) boosting the bass instead of retuning/changing a box size ( of course, within a fairly limited TS range ) , (ii) boosting the treble frequencies on a horn driver before adding passive horn compensation circuits to get an idea of how much you want/need or even to see if the driver/horn combo will actually deliver HF response,
(iii) Cutting/smoothing midrange peaks to see if you must actually deal with them , one approach or another .

The Behringer 8024 has it's own built in tone generator that'll put out Pink Noise / White Noise and a range of pure Sine Waves. The 8024 is now discontinued . It's been replaced with the DEQ 2496 which seems to sell for just above $300.00 without a test mic .

( Thanks ! Oldmics for the Praxis link )
regards <> Earl K :)

Oldmics
06-06-2003, 10:25 AM
Smartlive is also availiable as a freeware in a demo version for 30 days of use.This freeware would include the RTA feature that you are seeking.Many different styles and ingenious visual displays of frequency response are utilised by Smartlives RTA.The link is www.siasoft.com Enjoy watching what you hear! Best regards,Oldmics

Doug
06-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all of the great info. Looks like a few hours of surfing!

MikeM
06-10-2003, 04:39 PM
Is the soundboards in computers acrurate enough for this??

Oldmics
06-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Hello MikeM,Your question about the quality of the computers sound board to do audio analysis opens up another can of worms.In general it is best to see what soundcards are compatible to the particular analysis program that you intend to use.Most of the interface requirements demand a stereo line input to your soundcard.That requirement alone dismisses a large number of soundcards.If you are going to get serious about measurement,I would recommend a USB soundcard interface.For more about soundcard interface,please checkout the link at www.libinst.com and checkout the frequently asked questions about Praxis.Hope this helps.Best regards,Oldmics