PDA

View Full Version : Possible to wire 2x 8 ohms and 1x 2 ohm for 8 ohms

Ghost
10-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Just curious, want to try something have a pair of HI-VI 4 ohm dome tweets, and 2 pair of Cerwin Vega HF7 horns...is there a way to wire them : CV x2 and HI-VI x 1 to equal an 8 ohms array?

Am brain farting have looks at some charts, calcs., but is just not clicking for me, but then am not the brightest bauble in the bowl by far ;)

made error in header states one of the impedances for the array as 1x 2 ohm, and s/b 4 ohm.

hjames
10-30-2009, 01:22 PM
I notice no woofers are mentioned - gonna biamp?

And your crossovers are ...??

Just curious, want to try something have a pair of HI-VI 4 ohm dome tweets, and 2 pair of Cerwin Vega HF7 horns...is there a way to wire them : CV x2 and HI-VI x 1 to equal an 8 ohms array?

Am brain farting have looks at some charts, calcs., but is just not clicking for me, but then am not the brightest bauble in the bowl by far ;)

made error in header states one of the impedances for the array as 1x 2 ohm, and s/b 4 ohm.

Ghost
10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
No on the biamping, the crossovers are JBL RI33's, the woofers 10" Celestions (From model DL-10) the mids from the JBL LX500, going into RTR towers that were 10" 2 way with 12" passive radiators..have to refoam the rads yet, or could go sansui 12" from model sp-910m, and 10" JBL passives.

Have someone who will let me have a pair of old BSR tweeter array cabs ( 3 tweeter) for a couple bucks, that would nest atop the RTR cabs perfectly, and aside from from enlarging the RTR tweeter cutout to fit the JBL mids I would not have to alter the RTR cabs all that much.

And I haapen to have 2 pair of CV HF7 horns 8 ohm, and and a pair of HI-VI 4 ohm domes..and if can wire to work will snag those brs tweeter array cabs :)

JBL 4645
11-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Speaker wiring diagrams
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/wiring%20diagrams.htm

Ghost
11-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks, if am grasping things...if I wire the 2 CV 8 ohm horns in Parallel will give me 4 ohms, then treating as a single driver wire in series with the Hi-Vi 4 ohm will net me 8 ohms?

Then hope a D.C. read will fall within the 3.6/4.4 min/max denoted in the R133 tech. spec. sheet. And just how critical is that, if say is 3.2 or 4.6-.8 will it radically affect things.

For instance the JBL mids have in mind D.C. 's are 4.6 and 4.7 and the RI33 specs a 3.8-4.6 max. And am pretty certain if the tweeter array is doable, will prob want to tone down a bit via the R133 HF control pot, and have no idea how being perhaps a tad out of spec would affect the control range of the pot. I can of course go with a single tweeter that falls within spec, but have those CV horns just laying about collecting dust.

I had wanted to try the Optimus Dipole Linaeum deals, but have not found a set in my budget yet, and also have not found out if the built in xover cap is easy to get to and remove. From what i gather they are set up for 2500Hz and the R133's are @ 3000Hz, am guessin' leaving the cap in the Optimus Dipoles is prob not desirable.

Thanks again for help guys :)