PDA

View Full Version : Stands for 4311b or L-100

aardvarcus
10-27-2009, 02:10 PM
What stands do you use or like for these or similar speakers? Right now I'm using old speakers as stands with foam in between. I will probably end up doing something DIY but wanted to know what you preferred. I have seen the photos of the original L-100 stand, but thought that they should be higher off the ground. Maybe I need a stand for the stand……
But anyway, what do you use?

lgvenable
11-06-2009, 10:36 PM
I use 1.25 aluminum bar stock, with lap joints and inset bolts. I designed them to lift my L100T's so that the speakers aren't aimed at any chair flat surfaces in the room. All made possible as the coating equipment manf (where I ran their lab) was selling all their custom metal stock, and I picked up 12 bars 8' long x 1.25 x1.25 for 5$ each! I still have the excess bars.

After making them, I had them powder coated except in the lap joint faces that way the joint aligned perfectly.

I'll post a pic tomorrow. Beauty of these stands were, if they needed to be taller or shorter, you just sub larger or shorter pieces.

The stands were like two horseshoes joined by a set of legs (exactly like a set of speaker stands which sold with my 4312a's only taller. The top and bottom are slightly offset, with a bigger foot for stability.

The bottoms were 14" wide, and just fit to the exact edge of my L100T's (around the plastic/wooden) stand that JBL added to the L100T's. The tops were like 13" wide and 12 deep? I The botooms were like 13" deep.'ll make measurements when I post the pictures to be sure.

If you make several, like I did, then the machine shop can set up the machinery to do the cutoffs of the lap joint area x multiple legs at the same time; saving money.
Larry

lgvenable
11-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I use 1.25 aluminum bar stock, with lap joints and inset bolts. I designed them to lift my L100T's so that the speakers aren't aimed at any chair flat surfaces in the room. All made possible as the coating equipment manf (where I ran their lab) was selling all their custom metal stock, and I picked up 8 bars 8' long x 1.25 x1.25.

After making them, I had them powder coated except in the lap joit faces that way the joint aligned perfectly.

I'll post a pic tomorrow. Beauty of these stands were, if they needed to be taller, you just sub larger pieces.

The stands were like two horseshoes joined by a set of legs (exactly like a set of speaker stands which sold with my 4312a's only taller. The top and bottom are slightly offset, with a bigger foot for stability.

The bottoms were 14" wide, and just fit to the exact edge of my L100T's (around the plastic/wooden) stand that JBL added to the L100T's. The tops were like 13" wide and 12 deep? I The botooms were like 13" deep.'ll make measurements when I post the pictures to be sure.

If you make several, like I did, then the machine shop can set up the machinery to do the cutoffs of the lap joint area x multiple legs at the same time; saving money.
Larry