PDA

View Full Version : amp:s

Figge
06-25-2004, 10:22 AM
hi i´m gonna change my junky interM soon and thougt i´d spend about 1000 euro on a new amp....what would be the best choise? there is a couple of crown macro reference. for that price. whould this amp drive my 4430 at fullrange? with good results? exept for the fact that the neighbours might have some to say about the reacent increase of money put into audio gear in my apartment! ....i am very intressted in scotts testing of pss...but he seem to have killed him self with it. any suggestions on a fine amp in that prize range?

PSS AUDIO
06-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Figge
....i am very intressted in scotts testing of pss...but he seem to have killed him self with it.

Before sending him the amp I tested it and listened it too and I'm still alive ....

With a 1000 Euro you can have one from ALLBA in Sweden! Get in touch with them and I will manage modifying one PSS1200 for an audiophile use with their next order...

Figge
06-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
you can have one from ALLBA in Sweden!

yepp! i know! but would a pss1200 drive the 4430 fullrange with deadly results? or would the crown macro do it better? i dont know...macro rated at 750W per channel in 8 ohms. gotta be a killer!.....hmm stupid question! look at scott! :)

Figge
06-25-2004, 11:47 AM
I will manage modifying one PSS1200 for an audiophile use

whats up with that? tell me more

4313B
06-25-2004, 11:51 AM
...i am very intressted in scotts testing of pss...but he seem to have killed him self with it...
...but would a pss1200 drive the 4430 fullrange with deadly results?... or would the crown macro do it better? i dont know...macro rated at 750W per channel in 8 ohms. gotta be a killer!.....hmm stupid question! look at scott! :) Figge I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard and my coworkers are giving me funnier looks than usual.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Figge
06-25-2004, 11:53 AM
:p :p

PSS AUDIO
06-25-2004, 12:46 PM
whats up with that? tell me more

I drive my 4355 with a PSS600 and it is dam powerful.

You can ask ALLBA to lend you a regular PSS1200 and it will give you an idea.

Beside several settings the next batch of 1200 will receive twice more mains capacitors and as they are from an other brand their sound better, more low mids, better stereophonic image etc ... This is what I call a hand modified amplifier for audiophile use.

About dynamics, a PSS 1200 has 2 transformers of 800Va and 2x40 000MF (20A per side).

Just compare with other amplifiers and you will have an idea of the peaks a PSS1200 can deliver!

Figge
06-25-2004, 01:32 PM
makes sense! also i´ve heard that the macro reference is good for bass amplifying. fullrange i dont know.

PSS AUDIO
06-25-2004, 01:39 PM
makes sense! also i´ve heard that the macro reference is good for bass amlifying. fullrange i dont know.

My 4355 are driven full range with a PSS600 (this amplifier has 2x60 000MF of mains caps instead of 2x40 000MF)!

scott fitlin
06-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Giskard
Figge I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard and my coworkers are giving me funnier looks than usual.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Yeah allright G, go ahead, and laugh your ass off!

It would take at least a Crest 9001 to even knock me on my ass!

Did I ever tell you about the time I played electrician? And I thought I had the load side wire in my hand and it was the line side, and I put it to the lug with another wire, and BOOM, the whole lug burnt to a crisp and all I saw was this bright blue flash! Well, I am still here and I really did that years ago!

When the REAL electrician arrived to actually fix the problem, he informed me that what I did was to put one 120v leg to another 120v leg, and you cant put to different phases of 120v legs together, nope you CANT do it! I found out, too, the hard way, as always!

:cool:

4313B
06-26-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by scott fitlin
Yeah allright G, go ahead, and laugh your ass off!Um, I'm not the one who started numerous threads about some amp and a dash for the border with it. I simply found Figge's posts to be quite funny and decided to ride with it all. In reality I couldn't care less about the amp or what anyone does with it.

scott fitlin
06-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Thats more like it! No sense of humor at all! Thats the Giskard I have known on Heritage!

:rotfl:

dieterj
06-28-2004, 12:18 AM
makes sense! also i´ve heard that the macro reference is good for bass amplifying. fullrange i dont know.
Hello Figge,
I play my 250tis fullrange with one crown reference 2.
In my opinion, the sound is also not bad in mid/highrange, very clean
but with your 4430 (Horn) its maybe little to dry.
You can go Biamp, and check a Tubeamp for your 2344:cool:

Dieter

Figge
07-10-2004, 05:46 AM
anybody has any experience with CROWN 1400CSL? looks to be a quite powerfull machine.

Hofmannhp
07-10-2004, 07:36 AM
anybody has any experience with CROWN 1400CSL? looks to be a quite powerfull machine.

Hi Figge,

I am not 100% sure.....but I think the 1400CSL's got a switching power supply......I personaly prefer transformers. Amps with transformers are more expensive, but I like their sound a lot more.

HP

PS: pls don't forget the 2310 in sverige.....keep an eye on them:cool:

Figge
07-10-2004, 08:04 AM
hi hp

maybe its not a good hifi amp?

i have not forgotten...just waiting till the last 20min...to make the attack!

Figge
07-10-2004, 10:33 AM
how about the G.A.S Ampzilla? anyone experienced with this?

Hofmannhp
07-10-2004, 11:13 AM
hi hp
maybe its not a good hifi amp?
i have not forgotten...just waiting till the last 20min...to make the attack!

Hi Figge,
thats fine.....do the attack....:die:

then: :cheers:

HP

Hofmannhp
07-10-2004, 11:18 AM
how about the G.A.S Ampzilla? anyone experienced with this?

it's me again,

the G.A.S. is a very vintage model..... but not that bad....heard one about 18 years ago...but can't compare after such a long time.

Whats about a Mac or an Accuphase E 306.....both very expensive...you have to wait for an ebay steal.

HP

Figge
07-12-2004, 05:24 AM
thanx hp! you are allways prepared for service :yes:

ok any experience with the swedish LAB.Gruppen amps? seem to be very popular! and resonable prices!

btw hp! those 2310:s are now yers! i just gotta get them shipped to me first.

Hofmannhp
07-12-2004, 07:24 AM
....ok any experience with the swedish LAB.Gruppen amps? seem to be very popular! and resonable prices!
btw hp! those 2310:s are now yers! i just gotta get them shipped to me first.

Hey Figge,

GREAT.....:spin: :spin: :thmbsup: :cheers:

SUUUUPER

Let me know the complete cost incl. shipping and I send you my shipping adress....ok. can I pay to you with PayPal....if yes tell me please the cost in € or USD, cause PayPal got no swedish currency.

HP

Thanks a lot for your help

PS: ...sorry no, I don't know the LAB.Gruppen,...all I know is that if you look for vintage stuff as amp, keep the hands off some Marantz power amps (some are for :moon: ) I use a Bose 1801 and a Crown Macrotech 2401 and are very satisfied.

johnaec
07-12-2004, 12:03 PM
any experience with the swedish LAB.Gruppen amps? seem to be very popular! and resonable prices! Not a direct experience, but the sound company I used to work for used to be an all Crest shop, but they've since added a bunch of LAB.Gruppen, (sp?), amps. They're the only switching amplifier they've found that has a sonic quality that's good enough to compete in the same class as the Crest pro series. Because of the switching power supply they're much lighter in weight than your standard A/B amps, etc..

John

PSS AUDIO
07-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by johnaec
... Because of the switching power supply they're much lighter in weight than your standard A/B amps, etc..

John

But they will NEVER, what ever brand you will listen at, compete with either a class A (no one will use them for PA) or A/B amplifiers.

Why?

Power supply (transformer, bridge and mains capacitors) makes at least half of the sound of an amplifier (and a pre amplifier).

Figge
07-12-2004, 01:25 PM
They're the only switching amplifier they've found that has a sonic quality that's good enough to compete in the same class as the Crest pro series.

see i knew they were fine amps. made in sweden eh!:) i think yuri is right thogh. with the coment about transformers and bridges. makes sense. (for hifi that is)

i think i got it now! switching = bad, nonswitching = good. (for hifi)

johnaec
07-12-2004, 07:28 PM
But they will NEVER, what ever brand you will listen at, compete with either a class A (no one will use them for PA) or A/B amplifiers.As far as I know nothing will truly compete with a class A down to the finest details. But sometimes, when you're dragging 40 or 50 amps around the country on tour, compromises have to be made for practical logistics. The same thing is true with concert speaker cabinets - you're often limited in space, setup time, etc. Now for permanent installations, without a doubt, class A would be a worthy design goal...

That sound company did say they tested a lot of different amps, and certainly had the pick of the crop, but found the Lab.gruppen was the only switching amp they would work with. And they found them better sounding than a lot of non-switching amps...

Edit: BTW - they don't carry a full 40 or 50 Lab.gruppens along on tour, rather, they are part of the mix. They're also using Crest and Crown. I haven't asked what part of the spectrum the Lab.gruppens are covering.

John

Oldmics
07-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Edit: BTW - they don't carry a full 40 or 50 Lab.gruppens along on tour, rather, they are part of the mix. They're also using Crest and Crown. I haven't asked what part of the spectrum the Lab.gruppens are covering.

John

I would venture a guess that the Labs are not powering sub or low freq information.

My experience was they were not robust enough for sub info.They were also rather finikey about current demands when used for low freq info.

For mids and hi end they rocked.

I thought they sounded like all of the other switching amps.

Reasonable prices???? Not in this country!!

Oldmics

PSS AUDIO
07-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Oldmics
... My experience was they were not robust enough for sub info.They were also rather finikey about current demands when used for low freq info. ... Reasonable prices???? Not in this country!!

Oldmics

Hi,

In France and Switzerland LAB GRUPEN amplifiers are VERY expensive too, they have a name and when you real the literature given with you may think that they are rock solid!

I am very pleased reading that in the subs they are not.

PSS AUDIO
07-12-2004, 11:45 PM
But sometimes, when you're dragging 40 or 50 amps around the country on tour, compromises have to be made for practical logistics.

That sound company did say they tested a lot of different amps, and certainly had the pick of the crop, but found the Lab.gruppen was the only switching amp they would work with. And they found them better sounding than a lot of non-switching amps...

John

I do agree, one must make compromises and carrying 50 switching amplifiers is easier than 50 AB amplifiers delivering the same power.

But this will make "noise" not real music as NO switching amplifier can play what I call good music!

The LAB GRUPEN is perhaps the less worse switching amplifier on the market!

scott fitlin
07-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Last summer they brought a ride down here from Germany, and it had a sound system, and they had the Lab Gruppen amps.

I thought the full range part of the system had a nice sound to it, but his subs were thin sounding, lacking balls, and that whoomp you can get out of a crest or crown! The guy who had this ride swore by the Labs, and he came over to my place and he looked at my amps, and I played him a record, and the bass was too intense for him. He looked at the amps running the subs, which were the Crown PSA-2,s at that time, and just couldnt understand how I got all that bass, because according to everything he knows about audio, those PSA-2,s had NO POWER! And of course, if you read the specs on that old Crown, it doesnt have power, compared to the specs on many of todays amplifiers! I smiled and told him, If it dont weigh enough, It cant play enough! he says NO, the lightweight amps are good! I said, OK, you got yours, but it aint like mine!

The Labs were recommended to me to run fifteens, and so were the Chevin Research amps, from the UK! But I dont know, I like big heavy amps, with big power supplies!

This was why I chose Crest Pro Series when I had to make a move! of all the new technology amps, these sound good to me! Except for the older amps from crown and BGW, only the Crests had the tonality on subs I wanted! Even a high powered QSC didnt give me what I wanted.

In conversation earlier today, with a sound guy who came by to hear what Im doing, also said everyone is going to crest for bass these days!

Figge
07-13-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by scott fitlin
lacking balls

makes sense! look at a volvo! this is how things are done here in sweden:)

Alex Lancaster
07-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Yuri:

Lets cut the BS, many, many moths ago You offered to send one of Your amps, tel calls etc, please do not use this serious forums to promote, OK?

PSS AUDIO
07-13-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
Yuri:

Lets cut the BS, many, many moths ago You offered to send one of Your amps, tel calls etc, please do not use this serious forums to promote, OK?

A/ The Mexican "distributor" disappeared in the clouds so how can I send an amplifier for evaluation. You can ask Scott to put you on the list if you are interested in reviewing a PSS amplifier!

Is this promoting?

B/ You are not the right person to recall something, unless you became a moderator!

scott fitlin
07-13-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
Yuri:

Lets cut the BS, many, many moths ago You offered to send one of Your amps, tel calls etc, please do not use this serious forums to promote, OK? Umm, Alex, this is the OFF Topic section, and I think its OK to promote all things audio!

In the Marketplace section other sellers JBL wares are promoted all the time!

The truth be known, I have read about PSS amps for quite some years now, in Sono magazine, but if Yuri hadnt self promoted his amp to me, I never would have known how good they are!

His amps are serious enough to warrant discussion, reveiw, and promotion in this serious forum!

Thank you very much.

Figge
07-18-2004, 09:32 AM
any one have opinions about this amp?

i borrowed it from my dad and hooked up with my 4430:s and i can say right off that it whiped the floor with my interM (and pretty much every other amp i´ve heard) in every way , even tough the interm has twice the power! however it dont have much punch! on my 2235:s but it sounds nice and clear way down in the bass. it sounds very warm and "english" if u know what i mean? a very nice sounding and very compact amp!
my first thought when hooked up was "how can this little amp sound so much?" it handles relatively high volumes exelent! without sounding hard/strained or harsh!

the interM however did the opposit! therefore it qualifies in ian´s grungy amp thread!

PSS AUDIO
07-18-2004, 12:54 PM
any one have opinions about this amp?

Excelent amplifier, can even be tuned to get more out of it!

In the late 70's, it was a killer!

Figge
07-19-2004, 02:03 AM
hi yuri!

first time i hear u say that about an other amp!:)

but this one is GOOD!!! it can play three times the volume the interm did without sounding strained! the interm sounded like crap from the first watt! and as i can see there are no number in each amps specs that explains why. so yuris statement about numbers are just to sell are correct! there can be no other explanation than: numbers means nothing. they are just there to make ppl look at them (not listen) before they decides what to buy.

in this case a 30yr old 100wpc beats the hell out of a new (as in still for sale) 200wpc even in powerhandling!

explain this by numbers? dont think so! buildquality is what counts! period.

the interm has even better specs than the quad, and twice the quads rated 2x100 @ 8ohm. but the quad TOTALY kills the interm in every way! i really dont understand where the 200Wpc in the interm goes! when playing it sounds strained from the start and when pushed u just want to turn it off! but the quad sounds totally clean unstrained and all the little details are there at FURNITUREMOVING levels!!.and it feels like it just wants more!!UNBELIEVEBLE!!! for a 100watt amp!!

should be rather intressting to hear the real heavy stuff u guys use!

Figge
07-19-2004, 05:07 AM
For those who doesnt know, and are intressted here is the quad 405. i was fooled by its size at first...

Figge
08-17-2004, 07:14 AM
i found this old beatup amp at a yard-sale for 20 bucks...it appears to be working...and its heavy as hell!

" MM electronics manufactured in england by Paice" it says on it...
cant find ANYTHING about it on the www

does anyone know anything about it?

Figge
08-17-2004, 02:05 PM
ok there are four 2N6254 transistors per channel...does this tell anything about the power of this thing?

PSS AUDIO
08-17-2004, 03:17 PM
ok there are four 2N6254 transistors per channel...does this tell anything about the power of this thing?

Something like 100W, but keep you QUAD it will always sound better than this MM amplifier!

Figge
08-17-2004, 04:02 PM
i´m not expecting any miracles with it...but $20 i just couldnt resist!

speakerdave
08-17-2004, 07:06 PM
i just couldnt resist!
This once was the forum motto, but we had to go underground with it.

Figge
08-18-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by speakerdave
but we had to go underground with it.

why?

ok so no one knows anything about it? but does someone know where i could find somethin´ aboot it? or some place i can ask about it?

Hofmannhp
08-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Hi Figge,

congratulations for this amp....I like it. Remembers me to my "amp building" aera (which lasts about 10 years). This aera was replaced by my "wifey" aera which is going on.

The 6254 shows a P(tot) of 150W and a Uce(max) of 80V.
That may give a chance for about 120 to 150W at 8 Ohms.
Please look whats the voltage of the power supply for the output amp stages.....The heatsinks of your amp look like good for max 100W.

HP

PS: saw your PM ......use the high impedance for MM systems and the 30 or 40 Ohms only for MC systems.

Figge
08-18-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Hofmannhp
The heatsinks of your amp look like good for max 100W.

there is a fan in the back of the sinks also...it was REALLY noisy so i cut the cables:) the bearings were probably busted!

use the high impedance for MM systems and the 30 or 40 Ohms only for MC systems

found the 100Kohm setting was best for my pickup...

where do i meashure the volt?
theres 3 cables 1. ground 2. +55V 3. -55V

Hofmannhp
08-18-2004, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Figge
[B]there is a fan in the back of the sinks also...it was REALLY noisy so i cut the cables:) the bearings were probably busted!

QUOTE]

Hi Figge,

if you cut the fan....pay attention to the heat of the heatsinks.

Without fan they work only fine when turned 90°, so that the rips are vertical.....it's in cause of the convection of the air round the heatsinks, in this case you should be sure, that the cold air can flow from bottom of the cabinet to the top.......or don't drive the amp to hard:)

HP

PSS AUDIO
08-18-2004, 02:16 PM
theres 3 cables 1. ground 2. +55V 3. -55V

As those values are unloaded, I guess that you will not have more than 50V loaded, it means that this amplifier can deliver about 80W under 8 ohms!

Figge
08-22-2004, 10:29 AM
ok hooked it up and gave it a listen. it´s not good and not bad eather...pretty dark raw sound! howerver it had very nice bass! i have heard much worse amps! guess i´ll fix it up a bit and sell it!

btw: Yamaha p2200 any good?