PDA

View Full Version : Altec 9842 active bi-amp

granoj
10-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Hello all!

I`ve been lurking here for some time searching information about Altec model 14 / 9842 studio monitors. I`ve got a few DIY ideas but not enough expertise in the matter so i disaided to join in.
I bought my 9842 monitors a couple of years ago and i`ve been very happy with them. Some time ago i got an idea to bi-amp the speakers so i started doing research and long story short, i think i`ve found a way i would like to proceed.

Hypex 100w digital plate amp modules with digital DSP for crossover:

https://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=2961

Using two modules i could bi-amp my speakers.

But Installing the amp modules would require doing modifications to the original cabinets so i started thinking maybe doing completely new enclosures. I`m a carpenter so building is not a problem but designing is :blink:
So any ideas / comments / opinnions about new cabinet design for 902 HF driver and 12" LF driver are greatly appreciated!

-Jarno

granoj
10-18-2009, 02:05 PM
disaided ->decided, thanks AB :)

Btw. Is it possible to edit your posts here? The edit button is probably some where over here but I`m just being blind..

hjames
10-18-2009, 02:16 PM
->decided, thanks AB :)

Btw. Is it possible to edit your posts here? The edit button is probably some where over here but I`m just being blind..
The button is on the lower right next to Quote,
but you can only edit within a 24 hr window -
- after that its permanent, warts and all!

Goodwill_HiFi
10-18-2009, 02:42 PM
But Installing the amp modules would require doing modifications to the original cabinets......

I'm not familiar with that cabinet, but I would assume they have a rear panel that is removable. Why not simply build a new panel to mount the amps in?