PDA

View Full Version : Turn it down or not?

midlife
08-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Would anyone care to discuss the "proper" setting for amp attenuators in relation to other system components:blink::blink::blink::blink:????

Robh3606
08-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Didn't we just do this??:hmm:

In my HT active set-up I set my active crossover driver levels and amp attenuatiors to get the best S/N I can or the lowest noise level out of my speakers. I don't worry about the gain structure as far as the amps being driven into clipping.

In my stereo biamp rig I use the attenuators to keep the noise floor low depending on which high frequency head I have or which speaker system I have running. I can also run the preamp in passive mode as well.

Is what I am doing the "correct" way??? Never really thought about it. But it works for me. I look at it like I am in a home setting so the requirements are different than those used in a live sound application. Having the lowest noise floor with 98db speakers is more of a concern to me.

Rob:)

BMWCCA
08-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Would anyone care to discuss the "proper" setting for amp attenuators in relation to other system components:blink::blink::blink::blink:????

Is this a joke? :blink:

midlife
08-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Is this a joke? :blink:
Yes, yes it is a bit of a joke. Since their were alot of conflicting opinions (all appreciated) I thought this might be a fitting end.