PDA

View Full Version : Stephens Tru-Sonic curiosity

998cc
07-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Hello all. I am new to the list and have an affection for amateur radio, early stereo, 70's mega stereos and music in general. I am not an expert of any sort on speakers. In fact, it was curiosity about a particular speaker that led me here.

I have owned a massive speaker since about 1969 that my dad brought home from a demolition/remodel job he was doing at the time. It is a 16 ohm, 15" Tru-Sonic by Stephens Manufacturing Company; the magnet assembly on this thing is enormous!. In the early 70's I took it into the local guitar/amp store to see if they knew anything about it; their answer was an "Organ Speaker". Being a kid with little cash, it became a replacement speaker in my 50 watt Traynor guitar amp where it still resides and performs well. Yes, I still have the beast. :)

Thanks to those of you who have posted threads providing details on these speakers. Now that I know these are suitable hi-fi/stereo speakers, I am curious as to whether it would be worth finding another one and building up a pair a cabinets to go with my Marantz 2325....

Any input or sage advice will be appreciated.

(My current stereo speakers are Infinity Column II's.)

Thanks.

Russ

998cc
07-03-2009, 08:29 PM
FWIW, I checked the model number of the speaker. it is: P52L

toobwacky
07-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Got any pictures. I'd like to see your "Franken-speaker" :D