PDA

View Full Version : EV speakers. Your views?

The Dude
06-26-2009, 03:52 AM
Just picked up a pair of EV SH1502 ER speakers, working fine with original EV drivers. Anyone heard of, or have any experience with these speakers? all replies appreciated.

jcrobso
06-26-2009, 01:59 PM
This is an EV pro sound speaker, mostly they are used for DJ setups.
I'm not trying to put them down, they sound like a good EV PA speaker.
I have gone to many a wedding and the DJ had these speakers. No real complaints they do the job they were intended for. John

The Dude
06-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Thanks man. I actually picked them up from a cinema where they had been used as a portable system of some sort.

RIGGED
06-27-2009, 04:35 PM
I owned a pair of that very model, say about 1 ago, obtained them in trade for a some HPMs. They had a nice punch to them, sold them and bought more JBL.

RIGGED

The Dude
06-28-2009, 03:25 AM
"sold them and bought more JBL."
RIGGED

Kinda says it all really :) THX

Akira
06-30-2009, 09:21 AM
I have always loved EV products and their design philosophy even though in many ways they are the opposite of JBL.
Some 40 years ago when I first got into buying pro SR, one of my first purchases was a set of 4 EV Eliminators. Was I proud of them, especially after I saw Chicago at Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, using them for stage monitors, Each horn player had one Eliminator directly behind him--three in a row.

A BIT OF HISTORY:
All of us are familiar with the display of lighters (now cell phones) resulting in thousands of specs of light in a huge concert arena.
Well that tradition started with that very Chicago concert in Toronto 1970. The bands gear did not show up until after midnight. At first they tried to play 3 songs on the house P.A. and it sounded terrible. A roadie ran out on stage and told Terry Kath their gear had arrived. The whole show was set up in an hour--no sound check.

The lights went down around 1AM. As the crowd grew in anticipation, everyone started cheering wildly and a few people decided to hold up their lighters. Spontaneously the lights grew section after section until there was a sea of candles. The band walked out on stage and were totally floored. THEY DIDN'T PLAY FOR 5 MINUTES--THEY WERE STUNNED! They walked around in circles looking out into the arena and shouted into the mics, "I can't believe this, This is incredible!" Terry walks up to the mic and says, "Were going to play our asses off." And they did for 3 solid hours and many encores--the show ending after 4AM.

A magical night and a rock tradition was born...still one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

boputnam
06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Kinda says it all really...I've had some EV's of that vintage - wedges. And, I've run into those used as mains in small clubs. They are a good box for their vintage, and can be made to sound pretty darn good with some attention to EQ. They are not well behaved, but can be tamed... :)

The Dude
06-30-2009, 03:35 PM
They sound pretty good and punchy now i've EQ'd them, though they dont like it when i run my 4645c jbl sub. The bass seems out of phase between them then (the jbl and the ev's, not the two ev's)

also Akira, i loved that story, imagine what it would be like to walk on stage to play and see that? it would kinda blow you away...:)

cabs look pretty cool too :applaud:

boputnam
06-30-2009, 05:34 PM
They sound pretty good and punchy now i've EQ'd them, though they dont like it when i run my 4645c jbl sub. The bass seems out of phase between them then (the jbl and the ev's, not the two ev's)Bingo. You are exactly right.

The 4645 is a "negative" cabinet, in JBL parlance, so those woofs have cone in movement on (+) signal - that is opposite those EV's.

cf: JBL Tech Note Volume 1, #12C - Polarity conventions of JBL Professional transducers and systems (http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?docid=241&doctype=3).

To play the two systems at the same time, you should reverse the connections to the 4645. :)

short_circutz
07-01-2009, 12:09 PM
The EVG-15 speaker used in these aren't a very "heavy duty" speaker. Used responsibly, the cabs will last you though.

The Dude
07-01-2009, 02:40 PM
negative cabinet, that makes perfect sense :)

so its not just my hearing then haha

its not really a problem now as they are both in seperate rooms on different systems(any excuse to start collecting components again :applaud:)

thanks for the input, oh and i wont be driving them hard, got a quad 520 power amp was thinking of using, its rated at 100w @ 8ohms i think.

yeah the cabs weigh a ton.

16hz lover
07-02-2009, 08:10 AM
AKIRA---Thanks for the story behind the Chicago concert:applaud:

I had 3 EV Eliminators all through the 90's that were given to me at Owens Corning Fiberglas Technical Center where I worked at the time. The guy who ran the Acoustics lab gave them to me when they were closing down the place after the big corporate takeover crap. I used them in my 26x30 garage with great success...made for great neighborhood parties.

I always wanted to take the horn out and replace it with the Audax PRO170MO driver and then add a horn tweeter on top.
Should have kept them.:(