PDA

View Full Version : JOHNAEC's Funeral and Memorial Service

johnaec
05-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Hi Guys. I imagine a lot of you wonder where I’ve been since about last September, or why I haven’t posted too much..

Well, to make it a short story, I’ve been diagnosed with long term lung cancer, ( long term is also known as stage 4 cancer, and is considered virtually terminal ). It’s funny - both my folks are in their 80’s and have smoked like chimney flues and never a problem, while I’d average about a half pack a day.

What’s really odd is that this lung cancer has established itself in my sacrum as a bone mass growth,( the sacrum is a palm sized bone right above your tailbone - look it up in Google ), and there are just a few lesions in my lungs. They’ve done three biopsies on the mass growths in my sacrum, and have definitely verified it’s from lung cancer; probably from the lesions in my lungs that have spread to my pelvic region via the circulatory system.

Anyway, even with radiation and chemotherapy, the pain from my sacrum has only intensified - it feels like I have a bag of rocks in my butt every time I move or sit down. Apparently, the bone growth is starting to really pinch on my nerves - it’s starting to affect muscles up my sides, and it’s weakened me so much that there are numerous things I can no longer do. The best prognosis on time left is 3 - 12 months, though all the docs. admit things can always change. Fortunately, I’m able to get full disability. And while I’m in CA. right now, I’m planning on moving to an assisted living facility in CO. around August or September. Most of my family would be near, and there’d be much less at the CA end for them to deal with.

As mentioned before, this cancer thing has really made it hard to do stuff that once used to be easy. One of these is cabinet building, unless I have some capable people around to help me. But even then, my stamina only gives me about 15-20 minutes to work at a time, after which I have to rest about the same amount.

Anyway, I’ve pretty much decided I’ll have to leave the big-time JBL party, and assuming I’ll be moving to a much smaller place in CO., I’m planning on keeping either the L110’s or L80T’s I have, ( I haven’t heard the L80T”s yet because they need refoaming ). I’m also keeping the 4408A’s, and I’m still debating keeping the L20T’s. I’ll obviously have tons of stuff for sale in the near future. I'll post it here first, then for stuff that doesn’t sell here, it’s off to eBay or craigslist.

Well, that’s about all for now. I just wanted to let everyone know what’s been happening with me. I’ll be getting stuff listed soon - keep your eyes open!

Take care everyone! I’m still around for now,

John

SEAWOLF97
05-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Dont know what to say - Wow !! wish I had a wand to wave and make it normal again ,,,take care ...we need more good guys like you , not less. :(

boputnam
05-23-2009, 07:58 PM
John...

I figured you just got busy with "other stuff", but the thought of health trouble had not crossed my mind. As seawolf said, "Wow". Big drag, man.

I had always guessed yours and my hearing would go before the other bits! I did not know you were a smoker :(.

I hope you can manage a way through this, I truly do.

I live not far - if there's anything I can do, lemme know. I could help facilitate your eBays, if you need. My feedback is 100% positive (but only 251 in number).

Here's John, August 2006 - in the blue ball cap... :)

BMWCCA
05-24-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm very sorry to hear of your health problems. We've never exchanged messages that I remember but I have often benefited from your posts since I became a member, and from prior ones in the archive. I wish I had something meaningful to say that could ease your pain and offer you some hope, but I am happy you will be with your family and have someone to take care of you. I've often thought of LH as one big family and it hurts when one of the family members experiences life-changing issues. We will—all of us—deal with similar issues if we haven't already, whether it be ourselves, or someone near and dear to us. Thanks for continuing to make all of us at LH a part of your life. I'm happy to help in anyway that I can, as are many of us here.

You'll be in my thoughts. All the best. :thmbsup:

Fred Sanford
05-24-2009, 04:21 AM
I'm very sorry to hear of your health problems. We've never exchanged messages that I remember but I have often benefited from your posts since I became a member, and from prior ones in the archive. I wish I had something meaningful to say that could ease your pain and offer you some hope, but I am happy you will be with your family and have someone to take care of you. I've often thought of LH as one big family and it hurts when one of the family members experiences life-changing issues. We will—all of us—deal with similar issues if we haven't already, whether it be ourselves, or someone near and dear to us. Thanks for continuing to make all of us at LH a part of your life. I'm happy to help in anyway that I can, as are many of us here.

You'll be in my thoughts. All the best. :thmbsup:

Anything I would come up with would essentially say all these same things...thanks for sharing- in the past, and now with this news. Keep in touch, and let us all know if there's any way we can help, even if it's just distracting you from the difficulties for a while.

Take care,

je

opimax
05-24-2009, 06:25 AM
I am not man of many words but some are better than none I feel. I appreciate all your time put in here for many of us to read and take in, Wishing you the best,

Mark

johnaec
05-24-2009, 10:36 AM
John...

! I did not know you were a smoker :(
That's what surprised me - half a pack a day, and they were ultra-lights. Both my parents are in their 80's and still smoke a pack a day with no related issues!

I could help facilitate your eBays, if you need. My feedback is 100% positive (but only 251 in number).
I've got a friend from Australia staying with me 24/7 in exchange for room and board. He's already pretty good at getting eBay stuff out, and I'm saving the really good stuff for people here at the forum, though it probably won't show up for a couple weeks.

Well, that's about it. I never will get to hear those SUB1500's in the high-end stereo I was workong on, along with all the olther stuff... Hopefully, someone else will... :)

Take care,

John

JBL 4645
05-24-2009, 12:06 PM
johnaec

Whoa mate I’m sorry for what you must be going though can’t say how that makes my skin crawl, it really does. I sincerely hope that medical science can find a way to reverse it. Its too much wishful thinking I know.

Have you since laid off the cigarettes?

Drink plenty of fresh orange juice each day take a calm walk breath in the air, in quiet surrounding area, no need to get stressed out.

Stay healthy from now on :)

I once pleaded to my dad over 25 years ago to quit smoking. Seeing habits like stubbing a fag in dinner plate after a meal was off putting, :barf:and that was my dad doing it right in front of me.

Today my dad is anti towards smokers. He can’t bare the smell, nor can I! I can’t even tolerate it.

If young children ask me to go in shop to buy them some cigarettes, I stop and turn to them say. (NO! I will not. Buy a healthy sandwich instead and some milk. It’s got lots of goodness in it. Smoking kills)!

These are the typical kiddies that live around my area and hang around outside the shop over the road, expecting some kind person will buy them cigarettes, not knowing of the repercussions, that might follow in years to come.

Robh3606
05-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Hello John

I am sorry to hear about your medical issues. I wish you the best and hope the doctors find a way to get things back under control.

Rob:(

Mr. Widget
05-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi John,

As Bo said, if there is anything we can do, we'll be glad to help.
I'll be glad to pop by your house again and give you and Rick a hand as/if needed.

Best of luck to you.:)

Widget

Titanium Dome
05-24-2009, 09:09 PM
John, this is unwelcome and unhappy news. I've always considered you an ally to the north and someone whose friendship I'd solidify one day. Remember the weirdness with the spider's nest and the 035TiA from that shed stored L5 I picked up for you? :)

Your opinions have resonated with me, and I hope to keep reading them. Please stay with us.

I will keep you foremost in my thoughts and send positive energy your way every day.

Peace and love, brother. Peace and love.

Doug

rbs4000
05-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi all,
I wanted to introduce myself. Any of you who have read Johnaec’s last postings will understand his medical condition. I am his friend from Australia who has come here to help him out. One of my responsibilities is to help liquidate his collection of his JBL items. You may have seen my listings on Ebay under the seller name of RBS4000. Johnaec wanted to start by offering these less desirable items on Ebay. He wants to offer the more desirable items he has to the forum members first, due to the loyalty that he has for the forum. Please note that I know very little about audio equipment (although John is teaching me as I go).
I have completed the inventory and you will start to see messages from us as to what he is offering. If you are looking for something, PM me and I will consult with him.
So keep an eye out for my messages.
Many thanks, RBS4000

Mr. Widget
05-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi "R",

Thanks for taking this on. As you know I have been by and seen John's stash. I will readily vouch for the quality of the major pieces there... and John does have some very desirable JBL goodies.

Good luck with your sales.

Widget

johnaec
05-25-2009, 05:09 PM
As I was proof-reading a message my helper, Rick Sullivan, was writing to post on the forum, I realized I'd made no mention of him! (I guess these meds might be a little too strong!).

Anyway, Rick and I have been friends for at least around 20 years or so. And he just moved up here from Australia to help me out 24/7 - believe me when I say I can do virtually nothing physical - Rick has been a real lifesaver!!

Just wanted to be sure he gets credit, where credit is due!

John

Zilch
05-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Rick,

Thanks for helping our long-term forum, and for many of us, personal, friend Johnaec.

+1 :thmbsup:

jblnut
05-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm v ery sorry to hear of your condition and I hope that modern medicine can a least ease your suffering. We've had a few friends battle cancer recently and it's amazing the developments that are happening with new treatments. I wish you the all the best as you fight your own battle with this terrible ailment.

I will also say that having done business with you in the past, you are an extremely reliable and reputable person to do business with. I (with much sadness) wish you luck as you try to find good homes for your JBLs.

My nephew is still rocking the house with your old L3's :)

jblnut

mikebake
05-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Sorry to hear of your travails, John. Sounds like your attitude is good.
Mike

spkrman57
05-26-2009, 09:59 AM
I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.

Regards, Ron

DavidF
05-26-2009, 09:43 PM
" take care everyone! I’m still around for now,

John

John, I suppose you have been personally dealing with this change in life experience for a while now. Perhaps you have come beyond the shock and, maybe, some understandable anger. I can only say that I am in awe of you and those with similar experiences who face this added challenge in life. A challenge that we cannot usually prepare for. I am so glad to hear you have some family to fall back upon. Keep us involved and let us know how you are progressing.

Truly and Sincerely, Best wishes...Dave Ferree down in San Jose

Ian Mackenzie
05-27-2009, 04:16 AM
Hi John,

I am sorry to hear of your illness and I will always remember meeting you and the other guys in SF :)

Here at home we have a similar situation with my father.

It really is life changing situation and you are very fortunate to have a good friend looking after you.

Ian :)

johnaec
05-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I am sorry to hear of your illness and I will always remember meeting you and the other guys in LA. :)
Errr...It was actually at Zilch's and then that pizza place - a little closer to Berkeley and San Francisco. It's the thought that counts, though... :)

John

Ian Mackenzie
05-27-2009, 02:26 PM
It was too. :). (LA is not that bad)

This will amuse you.

It was the summer of love weekend and I had to drive up to Berkeley the long way around because the main bridge was closed. Initally I took the wrong turn out of the airport and was heading south down an alternative Fwy. I should have stayed on that Fwy and then hooked a lefty over the bridge but I doubled back and took the Bay Hwy road that was clogged with traffic. On the way home after tail gating a certain red Porsche my camera slipped off the front seat and got wedged under the accelerator peddle while crossing the bridge and had to keep going. Luck was on my side and I made it to Bo's okay.

Ian

keith141
05-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi John,

I am sorry to hear of your health problem and I will always remember how I got JBL components through you.

Take care,

Keith

JBL 4645
05-27-2009, 04:12 PM
It was too. :). (LA is not that bad)

This will amuse you.

It was the summer of love weekend and I had to drive up to Berkeley the long way around because the main bridge was closed. Initally I took the wrong turn out of the airport and was heading south down an alternative Fwy. I should have stayed on that Fwy and then hooked a lefty over the bridge but I doubled back and took the Bay Hwy road that was clogged with traffic. On the way home after tail gating a certain red Porsche my camera slipped off the front seat and got wedged under the accelerator peddle while crossing the bridge and had to keep going. Luck was on my side and I made it to Bo's okay.

Ian

LOL that was funny.:D

You’re a funny bugger sometimes.

Ian Mackenzie
05-28-2009, 04:14 AM
Well I think it helps to dwell on funny past times than on the situation which frankly can only be fully appreciated by those directly involved.

Life is often about living the moment after all. :)

My other story of American humour was watching Bo struggle for about 15 minutes while he tried to push an oval port into a round hole of an auto loudspeaker enclosure for his daughter's friend.

I looked at the kid an the kid looked at me while Bo fumbled with the port. I then said to Bo gimmy the kit and I fitted the right port (I found in the kit) in about 10 seconds.

Bo being Bo chucked a mini fit (sshheet) while we pissed our pants laughing.

You had to be there ..it was a real cracker.....:D

Then there was the time really early on in what was probably the 1st version of the forums where Bo ragged someone about his 4311 in what was humour but it was taken the wrong way and he nearly got chased out of town by the hoards. It was like an evil spirit ha been woken from deepest , darkest hell or he had stired up a hornets nest. That thread went on and on...

Don later wrote a really cool post about the history of the 4311-10.

JBL 4645
05-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Ian, I sure hope your humour tickles :) johnaec, though these stressfully times. I see no reason why one should have too suffer like this.

4313B
05-28-2009, 05:54 AM
Well John, I am speechless...

If there is anything any of us can do please let us know.

You're in our thoughts and prayers my friend.

chilledspode
05-30-2009, 09:16 AM
I just read about what has happened - I don`t have the words I should...

I want you to know how much joy your old speakers bring my family and I, every day.

More importantly, I don`t make friends easily, but you left an immediate and lasting impression on me. Your kindness towards an uninformed stranger was simply remarkable, John.

I am fortunate to have met you, truly.

I appreciate that the physical distance between us will make this offer appear hollow :) - but if there is anything you think I can do please let me know.

Take care my friend

Mark

I promise to be less of a stranger than I have been...

oznob
05-30-2009, 03:19 PM
John my friend,

I just found out about your condition today from Widget. I can't believe it! As others have offered, just say the word and I'm on my way down to help with anything I can! I still have my pick-up and would be more than happy to help move things, pick up and/or deliver, what ever you need, I MEAN IT!

Just don't give up man, fight it all the way!

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mark

Steve Schell
06-02-2009, 10:48 PM
John I am very sorry to hear of your situation, and wish the best for you.

I have a friend who was diagnosed with a blood disease that from the doctors' estimates should have finished him off nearly three years ago. He has good days and bad days, but he still plays a mean guitar. I hope that it is the same for you... the doctors try but they don't know everything.

scott fitlin
06-03-2009, 06:08 PM
I just read this thread, John, I am sorry to hear of this. I have no words but I wish I did. I have you in my prayers,

If there is anything I can do to help you, or something you need, please, let me know!

Please don't give up hope, please.

Like I said, if there is something you need, or something I can do to help you, PLEASE let me know.

oznob
06-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Here's to ya John!
:cheers:

rbs4000
06-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi all, here is this weeks listings for John.

Thanks for looking.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/rbs4000 (http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/rbs4000)

rbs4000
06-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Hello,
This is the next batch of offers to the Forum members. If you are interested in an item, please PM me. John wants any transactions kept strictly confidential.
Thanks for looking,
Rick
Crest 1001A Power Amplifier
Crest 1501A Power Amplifier
Crest CA4 Power Amplifier
Crest LT15 Power Amplifier
Crest LT15 Power Amplifier

boputnam
06-18-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm purposfully keeping these offerings of John's here, under Forum Announcements. And, I will ping them repeatedly so they stay as with "new" posts...

Help, if you can.

boman

MikeBrewster77
06-18-2009, 07:26 PM
I received the first piece of gear I purchased today. I obviouly wish the circumstances under which I acquired it were better, but Rick (who's working on John's behalf) was accomodating, shipping was quick, and communication was excellent.

Best,
- Mike

rbs4000
06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Dear Members,
It is with great sadness to let you know that John passed away this morning. As many of you know, John loved the forum. He would check it out up til about two weeks ago when he couldn’t type any more. I know many of you loved him and that he was a source of support.
May God give him the rest and peace that he truly deserves.
Rick

SEAWOLF97
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
very sorry to hear ...thanx for helping with his last days

Titanium Dome
06-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Though this is sad news, thanks for sharing it with us. I can only hope he now has the release from pain and suffering that he dearly longed for. Thanks for being there to see him through to the end; that's the mark of selfless friendship.

I'd like to suggest the administrators and moderators consider a way to memorialize John's participation here. If it's not appropriate then fine, but please consider it. He was a fixture in many aspects of our community.

MikeBrewster77
06-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Also very sorry to hear of John's passing. Thank you for letting us know, and for helping him out. Knowing that John enjoyed his time here, if you are in touch with his family, please offer condolences on our behalf.

- Mike

4313B
06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Thank you for letting us know and thank you for being there for him Rick. He will be sorely missed and fondly remembered.

JBL 4645
06-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I’m a little shocked and saddened :( to read the passing of Lansing Heritage member that I hardly knew. I wish to extend my deepest thoughts to his family. May John now rest in pace from the pain and agony.

Fred Sanford
06-23-2009, 01:22 PM
So sorry to hear it, I didn't know it had progressed that far. Thank you, Rick, for assisting him and his family- you're a good man.

je

macaroonie
06-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Sad to hear this news Rick and thank you for being there for John, I hope you can take a little time for yourself in the knowledge that he had many chums in this little web arena.
Best wishes from Scotland ............ Mac

Zilch
06-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Rest in peace, John, friend....

mech986
06-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Rick, thanks for conveying this sad news to us. I wish I'd had a chance to visit with John last year when I was in Rohnert Park to see another old friend.

I want to echo the thanks to you for being a good friend to John, especially over these last few weeks. I'm sure John appreciated it.

Rest in peace John, your suffering is at an end. Say hello to John Eargle, Bart Locanthi, Ed May, Bill Thomas, and JBL himself. I trust the music will be heavenly.

Earl K
06-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Rest in peace John . You have a left behind a great legacy .

Rick , you have my sincere thanks for being there for your ( our ) friend .

I think it helps ease the guilt ( a bit ) that we couldn't all wave a magic wand and just make it better for our bud .

Bye John

>< Earl K

hjames
06-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I had no idea he was so close ... truly a sad moment, but -
he's not in pain now, and that's always a blessing.
Thanks for your help Rick, and for keeping us informed.

Robh3606
06-23-2009, 03:45 PM
May he rest in peace. Thanks Rick for letting us know.

Rob

boputnam
06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah, thanks, Rick. It seems so fast - first word we got was only a few weeks ago. Tragic.

I hope it was fast for him, too.

Mr. Widget
06-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Please let John's family know that he'll be missed by many.

Good bye John.

sourceoneaudio
06-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Rest in peace John. The people who helped John get through his last days are true friends indeed. Enjoy JBL forever John.

DavidF
06-23-2009, 09:27 PM
"May God give him the rest and peace that he truly deserves."

My heart aches. Thank you, Rick.

demon
06-23-2009, 09:59 PM
i hardly knew john, but i can discover his works and words here on this board. there is a lot to discover!
thank you rick for letting us know.
my thoughts are with his family and friends.
RIP John.

mikey

yggdrasil
06-24-2009, 03:48 AM
RIP John. You'll be missed.

Fangio
06-24-2009, 04:40 AM
Very sorry to hear this. John has been an asset to this forum and many readers worldwide have benefitted from his kind contributions.

mikebake
06-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Goodbye, John. Rest in peace.

spkrman57
06-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks for letting us know Rick!

Regards, Ron

oznob
06-24-2009, 10:32 AM
I am truly blessed to have known John! He was a great guy, great musician and loved his JBL's and all who shared his passion! I feel very fortunate that I was able to see him before his passing. He will be sorely missed! My sincere condolences to his family and friends!

John
06-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Very sad, Rest in peace John you will be missed but not forgotton.

opimax
06-24-2009, 01:53 PM
John , may you rest in peace

Mark

louped garouv
06-24-2009, 02:13 PM
RIP John,
May Peace be with you,
your friends and family

midlife
06-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I wish to offer my condolences to family and friends. I and my son took care of my father when his lung cancer spent his final days.

boputnam
06-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Please let John's family know that he'll be missed by many.All...

We have not been notified of any memoriam fund established for John. If any information is provided, we will certainly pass the information along. Watch this space.

The outporing here, both publicly and via pm, has been wonderful.

John was a great guy. I knew him but briefly, having met and hung-out at some gigs together. However, the decorum he maintained here is all that most here knew of him. That is what earned respect. I know too few will see this, but as I've often said, your posts will differentiate you from the rest. 'nuff said...

edgewound
06-24-2009, 05:22 PM
This is very sad news. John was a really great guy. This all happened just too quick.

See ya later, John.

oznob
06-24-2009, 09:19 PM
One of John's favorite bands, and mine, is Little Feat. "Waiting for Columbus" will be rockin' through the 4430's tonight!:rockon2:

scott fitlin
06-25-2009, 03:56 PM
My condolences to John's family, I am so sad to hear this.

God bless you John.

rbs4000
06-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Hello All,
I received an email from John’s brother Steve who has been out here for the last four days helping me out.
Here is his announcement about John’s funeral and memorial service. If any of you want to attend, you are more than welcome.
Yours,
Rick

"Hi Everyone,

Rob, Lynn and myself myself picked out a wonderful wooden casket for John today. We also completed all the arrangements for his trip back to Colorado.

John's Memorial Service will be held on Tuesday, June 30th at 10:00 AM at:

Ahlberg Funeral Chapel
326 Terry Street
Longmont, CO 80501
303-776-2313

Following the service, John will be buried at the Berthoud Town Cemetery. We are also arranging a location for a lunch after the burial.

If you have any special photo's of John you would like to include for the memorial, please email them to me. They will need to be scanned if they are not digital.

Steve "

Krunchy
06-25-2009, 06:08 PM
R.I.P.
My sincere condolences to John's family & friends.
A very sad day indeed. :(

Ken Pachkowsky
06-25-2009, 08:20 PM
I have not been active on the forum for some time and thought I would pay a visit. Not great news to read.

John helped me out several times over the last few years. I can remember him offereing to drive 30 miles to pick up a Perreaux SM6 for me a few years back. When I tried to pay him for his time he simply refused. Just recently he helped me gather some 2403's.

I wish I would have had a chance to drop him a line before his passing.

My thoughts are with John, his freinds and family.

Ken

bigstereo
06-26-2009, 05:11 AM
Godspeed John. May you rest in peace.

SteveW
06-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Really sad news to hear, never met him but always read his stuff with interest. RIP John.

loach71
06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
John: May you rest in peace and enjoy listening to and tinkering with ANY and ALL pieces of audio gear that you heart desires. May the music be to your infinite enjoyment..

paragon
06-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Oh, mein Gott !!

Eckhard

Audiobeer
06-26-2009, 11:08 PM
God Bless you John! :(

BMWCCA
06-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Might there be a link to an obituary?

Ken Pachkowsky
06-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Might there be a link to an obituary?

I to would be interested in reading his obituary.

Littlesis
06-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi:

I've never posted to a board like this, so hope I'm doing it right. I'm Lisa, JohnAEC's little sister.

You can read John's obituary here:

www.ahlbergfuneralchapel.com (http://www.ahlbergfuneralchapel.com)

Donations in his name to:

Animal Sanctuary and Care Society, 669 Bridgeway, Sausalito, CA 94965

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/CA1046.html

Thank you all for your kind words and support.

Lisa

hjames
06-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Lisa, thanks for your help -
our hearts and our prayers go out for you and the rest of his family on your loss ...

And Zilch - thanks for the pointer!
We're on opposite ends of the country, so I didn't know him face to face ...

(http://www.ahlbergfuneralchapel.com/page.php?page=obit&id=468)

Zilch
06-27-2009, 01:23 PM
This is our forum pal Johnaec:

http://www.ahlbergfuneralchapel.com/page.php?page=obit&id=471

JBL 4645
06-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Welcome to the LHF :) Lisa and dearly sorry for the loss of your brother John.

Thanks for the link Zilch interesting read on John’s biography.

Zilch
06-28-2009, 05:10 PM
John had been ill for several months and intense chemotherapy was scheduled to begin soon. He couldn't stand or sit without considerable discomfort, yet he said I and another friend, who had not heard any of John's audio systems, could come visit, but we'd have to keep it brief. His coffee table was loaded with gear, and he ran it all, three different setups, as I recall, from a laptop there, sitting on the couch.

Last to play was his favorite JBL 4430s, large studio monitors with really big sound, and "rock the house" bass. He cranked them, and it was as if a spell came over him: he got up, stood in front of the speakers, and played air bass guitar for us with perfect timing and all of the moves, so natural, as if he'd been doing it all of his life. He had, of course, but for me, this was his most memorable performance ... ever.

Goodbye, John, friend....

John's favorite band:

JBL 4645
06-29-2009, 08:03 AM
I hope this encourages other LH members to quit smoking now its not the way to go.:(

SMKSoundPro
06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I just saw this!

John sent Lisa and I a photo cd with all of his gear and said that he was having some health problems and needed to liquidate some things. That was a very short time ago.

But today, I see this thread! Oh John... It was a real pleasure to know you through this forum! Your emails and phone calls were always fun, and so very imformative!

From Lisa and I,
Rest in Peace and know serenity.

signed,

With a VERY sad heart,

Scott Koeller.

ps. Thanks to all who have helped John in his final days, and to his family.

(I believe flowers should be sent from the forum for the funeral or a donation to his charity of choice. What say you?)

hjames
06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
From Lisa and I,
Rest in Peace and know serenity.

signed,

With a VERY sad heart,

Scott Koeller.

(I believe flowers should be sent from the forum for the funeral or a donation to his charity of choice. What say you?)

I agree - I'll make a new contribution to the site if you guys want to do a named contribution to the "Animal Sanctuary and Care Society" ...

MikeBrewster77
06-29-2009, 03:09 PM

I agree - I'll make a new contribution to the site if you guys want to do a named contribution to the "Animal Sanctuary and Care Society" ...

Agreed- I think it's a great idea, and would like to contribute as well.

JBLnsince1959
06-30-2009, 09:44 AM
WoW... just saw this... John we'll miss you...

rbs4000
07-01-2009, 05:36 AM
Dear Forum Members,

I have just returned from John’s funeral and wanted to let you know of my experiences while I was in Colorado.

I got there the night before the service and spent the evening with John’s brother, Steve and his wife. We had dinner and then went to see John’s parent’s and siblings, who are wonderful people, very down to earth and very kind to me.

The next morning at 10 the service was held at the chapel. It was a beautiful church in downtown Longmont and the service was attended by about 25 of John’s family and closest friends from the area. I lost it when I saw the casket. I had been in denial up to that point and it finally hit me that John was really gone.

The service began with quotes from the Bible by the pastor and some wonderful singing by a church member. Then Steve got up to make his eulogy, and he lost it as well, but he got through it. Then it was my turn and amidst all the tears was able to present mine. As my part of the eulogy, I quoted various postings on the Forum about John and got some pretty good laughs with some of them. The last person to speak was his very long time friend, Carl, who had great and funny stories about him, John and their musical beginnings. I think he was shaken as well as he was tearing at the end of his talk.

Then Steve put on a slide show of pictures of John in sequential order of his life up to the last days of his life. This was accompanied by four songs, two of which I didn’t know, the others being “Ripple” by the Grateful Dead and “Miss You” by Little Feat, another of John’s favorite bands. It was very well done and I think everyone there was moved by it.

We then went to the cemetery where the casket was placed and the pastor quoted again from the Bible. Roses were given out to family members by Steve and they all had a quite time alone together.

We then went to a beautiful B & B where the reception was held. Food and drinks were served while everyone spent a good time sharing great memories of John. The high point was the releasing of helium balloons in the air. Everyone had written a note on theirs and they were released at one time. It was very touching and I will put up a picture on the forum of that event.

John will be missed by a great many people. I personally wanted to thank all of you and your outpouring about John’s passing. I had read some of them to John at the end and he was very touched.

Yours very sadly, Rick

spkrman57
07-01-2009, 10:56 AM
For being a very good friend to John when he needed it most!

Regards, Ron

mech986
07-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Rick,

Thank you so much for sharing this with us here. It is so important to remember people like John because of what they shared with us. And it is because of good friends like you that we can be touched and reminded again that the world is better for good people like you, John, and his family and friends.

Thanks again...

Bart

oznob
07-06-2009, 11:36 AM
John had been ill for several months and intense chemotherapy was scheduled to begin soon. He couldn't stand or sit without considerable discomfort, yet he said I and another friend, who had not heard any of John's audio systems, could come visit, but we'd have to keep it brief. His coffee table was loaded with gear, and he ran it all, three different setups, as I recall, from a laptop there, sitting on the couch.

Last to play was his favorite JBL 4430s, large studio monitors with really big sound, and "rock the house" bass. He cranked them, and it was as if a spell came over him: he got up, stood in front of the speakers, and played air bass guitar for us with perfect timing and all of the moves, so natural, as if he'd been doing it all of his life. He had, of course, but for me, this was his most memorable performance ... ever.

Goodbye, John, friend....

John's favorite band:

Very fitting tribute and rememberance Zilch, which I could have been there!

As Zilch knows, I purchased John's 4430's a few days before he passed away. He bought them from me about 3 years ago. I can't tell you how bad I felt when I took them out of his house. It was like John was losing some great friends which, in a way, he was! I think about him every time I play them. He was very fortunate to have close friends like Rick to help him out in the end!

Mark

rbs4000
07-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi all,

I want to thank those of you who posted your best wishes for John. It has meant a lot to me.

Please see the pics of the balloon release that occurred at the reception. It was the idea of John’s sister in law and made the day. Everyone got a helium balloon and was required to write a passing message for John. Then the balloons were released. The event was very moving and all loved doing it. (I am not in the pics as I was taking the photos.)

I am still plugging away with John’s inventory and have a long way to go still. I am here for two more months, before moving to Oklahoma to start a new life, whatever that may be. I am working every day to help get John’s affairs in order and get his house ready for sale by the time I go. I have the full support of John’s family and they have great with helping me get through this ordeal

As most of you know, I know nothing about his gear, but he did teach me a lot prior to his passing. I now know how to check an Ohm setting and see if there is rubbing, but that is it. (Does that mean I am a pro now?) J

John was a great guy, generous and kind to a fault. I know that I will miss him deeply as many of you will as well.

It is very lonely at the house here now without him. Now it is just me and the outdoor cat who is only interested in eating and a very adept duck and run artist when it comes to being petted or handled.

My sincerest thanks to Zilch for being my technical backup now that John has passed on and I can’t ask him questions that I needed to know about how to properly write a listing.

Again, thanks to you all for your kindness and wonderful remembrances of him

Yours truly, Rick

Ken Pachkowsky
07-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Rick, we should all be so lucky to have a friend like yourself. We wish you well in your new life wherever it takes you.

Take care

Ken

07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
What a beautiful way to honor someone. Send my best condolences to the family and friends of John.

JBLRaiser
07-11-2009, 08:39 AM
will live on in this forum as a reminder of what an insightful and intelligent fellow he was. I will miss his contributions and easy demeanor.

Ian Mackenzie
07-12-2009, 06:36 AM
Hi Rick,

You did a great job.

John will be missed by all of us here.

Ian

Zilch
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Front left:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=28268&stc=1&d=1190134214