PDA

View Full Version : An Experience with Bose---Caught Unaware

Tom Brennan
06-23-2009, 06:18 AM
I've told this story before, maybe not here.

One day I was in a used record shop and they had music playing in the store. While browsing around I thought to myself that the music sounded nice, pretty good actually. So when I looked around I saw small Bose 2-ways mounted on the walls near the ceiling, they appeared to use 8" woofers.

Funny eh? My honest reaction was that the speakers sounded good, had I known they were Bose would I have thought they sounded bad?

mikebake
06-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Dr. Edgar;
"People see what they hear, and hear what they see".

Robh3606
06-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Bose 2-ways mounted on the walls near the ceiling, they appeared to use 8" woofers.

I remember those as well. They had the adustable reflector for the tweeter?? What were they 301's?? They are are basically an 8" 2 way. I must admit there are several 8" two ways I like quite a bit. Just seems like a good basic design.

The brand really should not matter as long as the design is good. How the speakers sound is what counts. Curious to see where this one goes.

Rob:)

MikeBrewster77
06-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Well, I've admitted it before so it won't be any shocker that I own a pair of 301's. They haven't been in play in years and are currently occupying a space in the very back corner of my closet.

Objectively speaking, from what I recall they aren't horrible. The soundstage is diffuse, but it's clearly artificial and a bit confusing - somewhat akin to simulated surround sound that was so prevalent on a lot of earlier AV receivers.

Low bass is definitely lacking, but for the short time that they were in use I always had them coupled with a sub, making it a bit of a non-issue. Mid-bass was OK - nothing stellar, nothing truly bad. Highs (both of them ;)) were about the same, though a little short at the highest end.

The best way I can sum up the sound is "cheap." And I'll freely admit that could be a function of psychoacoustics since they actually feel cheap, and maybe that's what I was "hearing." When I took one apart, however, it just reinforced the notion since the drivers were not impressive. :no:

So yeah, I started this by saying they weren't horrible - I guess they're decent for background music and your initial reaction to them likely would be - "hey, they sound OK." That being said, once you start listening to them critically, the flaws quickly become apparent.

Now that I've thought about it, and since they haven't seen the light of day for a while, they might be fun to A/B with my current setup. Gee - wonder who'll win? :p

jcrobso
06-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Well, I've admitted it before so it won't be any shocker that I own a pair of 301's. They haven't been in play in years and are currently occupying a space in the very back corner of my closet.

Objectively speaking, from what I recall they aren't horrible. The soundstage is diffuse, but it's clearly artificial and a bit confusing - somewhat akin to simulated surround sound that was so prevalent on a lot of earlier AV receivers.

Low bass is definitely lacking, but for the short time that they were in use I always had them coupled with a sub, making it a bit of a non-issue. Mid-bass was OK - nothing stellar, nothing truly bad. Highs (both of them ;)) were about the same, though a little short at the highest end.

The best way I can sum up the sound is "cheap." And I'll freely admit that could be a function of psychoacoustics since they actually feel cheap, and maybe that's what I was "hearing." When I took one apart, however, it just reinforced the notion since the drivers were not impressive. :no:

So yeah, I started this by saying they weren't horrible - I guess they're decent for background music and your initial reaction to them likely would be - "hey, they sound OK." That being said, once you start listening to them critically, the flaws quickly become apparent.

Now that I've thought about it, and since they haven't seen the light of day for a while, they might be fun to A/B with my current setup. Gee - wonder who'll win? :p

Bo$e is capable of making good speakers, most of the time they don't.
I did JBL vs Bo$e at the radio station and JBL won!

louped garouv
06-23-2009, 09:21 AM
i had a pair of original series 501s that were OK....

it was a pain to get the grille cloth off to do the re-foam....
but afterwards, they were OK sounding...

i eventually traded them for credit towards some repair work....
can't keep them all.

MikeBrewster77
06-23-2009, 09:27 AM
I did JBL vs Bo$e at the radio station and JBL won!

Hmmmmm...:hmm:

Well, truthfully, I certainly can't put them up against the Performance Series - I mean that just wouldn't be fair. :no:

The L46's wouldn't be a good comparison given the age disparity (though something tells me they would still win.:yes:)

I'm thinking that the E30's would be as level a playing field as I can come up with. ;)

hjames
06-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Hmmmmm...:hmm:

Well, truthfully, I certainly can't put them up against the Performance Series - I mean that just wouldn't be fair. :no:

The L46's wouldn't be a good comparison given the age disparity (though something tells me they would still win.:yes:)

I'm thinking that the E30's would be as level a playing field as I can come up with. ;)

I bought a pair of L100s from a local seller - he'd bought them from the base exchange with a big Sansui receiver way back when. He was retiring and selling his home, and was planning to use his old Bose 301s as replacements.
I'm not a big L100 fan, but I liked them better than the 301s - tho I'd suspect they were at different price points.

For the icepick to the forehead punchline:
the original Craigslist ad was for $25 but the friend helping them sell the speakers bumped them to $100/the pair by the time I got there ...
Cabinets were pristine, just needed grill foams and a good oiling down ...

MikeBrewster77
06-23-2009, 10:01 AM
I bought a pair of L100s from a local seller - he'd bought them from the base exchange with a big Sansui receiver way back when. He was retiring and selling his home, and was planning to use his old Bose 301s as replacements.
I'm not a big L100 fan, but I liked them better than the 301s - tho I'd suspect they were at different price points.

I don't have a ton of experience with the L100's, but wasn't particularly impressed the times I have heard them (same general opinion as many here have shared re:coloration of the sound / accuracy.)

Nonetheless, if I had to live out my twighlight years listening to 301's everyday, I think I'd sincerely regret the decision to part with the JBL's. ;)

To your point, definitely different price points, though. IIRC I picked up my 301's for less than $300 new (though that's going back a bit.) I think that's about what I paid for the E30's new also, so it should be a fair comparison if I get around to it for S&G's.

Titanium Dome
06-23-2009, 10:23 AM
IIRC I picked up my 301's for less than $300 new (though that's going back a bit.)

Each or for a pair?

L100s were $273 each in 1970 when I bought mine.

MikeBrewster77
06-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Each or for a pair?

You had me thinking there for a minute - but it was for the pair. ;) Prices apparently haven't changed much either. Just checked Best Buy's website and you can get a pair for $296.98 (on sale, regularly $329)

I think the E30's had an MSRP of $298, and I paid a little bit less than that.

Audiobeer
06-23-2009, 11:42 AM
I had a real problem with my dog peeing in the living room. I moved the 301's outside and ever since then the dog apparently can't wait to get outside. Funny part about all of this it has never affected the performance of the 301's at either place they were located. I think that's a hell of a testimate to the build quality. It seems that the performance is close the the 4430s and the L300s. I'm also glad to see another lame thread on our boards. A big bump to the cause! :applaud:

P.S. in all fairness however there was a similiar setup in Peaches records and I too was shocked when I saw they were Bose.

Tom Brennan
06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
I had a real problem with my dog peeing in the living room. I moved the 301's outside and ever since then the dog apparently can't wait to get outside. Funny part about all of this it has never affected the performance of the 301's at either place they were located. I think that's a hell of a testimate to the build quality. It seems that the performance is close the the 4430s and the L300s. I'm also glad to see another lame thread on our boards. A big bump to the cause! :applaud:

I don't know about 4430s but I'm sure there are many JBLs that are outperformed by some Boses. I never heard a Bose that made me want to leave the room but I've heard several JBLs that did, some were models that many consider "good" JBLs. If Karo syrup were a speaker it would be an L-300.

Steve0616
06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
The only place I ever found suitable for my 301s were as rear surrounds. Never cared for them.

jcrobso
06-24-2009, 01:07 PM
In my JBL vs Bo$e shoot out I used a Bo$e 801-2 Pro speaker cost about $600 street price. This speaker has 8-5" speakers.
The JBL was JRX 115 This has 1-15" and 1 horn, cost about $300 street price.
This JBL is the entry speaker in JBLs pro line.
The JBL just blew the Bo$e away hands down.:applaud:

Yes I know this is a lame thread, but it is so much fun!:)

JBLRaiser
06-25-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't know about 4430s but I'm sure there are many JBLs that are outperformed by some Boses. I never heard a Bose that made me want to leave the room but I've heard several JBLs that did, some were models that many consider "good" JBLs. If Karo syrup were a speaker it would be an L-300.

without Karo syrup. A special purpose for everything.:p

Audiobeer
06-25-2009, 04:07 PM
But are Bose speakers better overall? I am wondering if we could do a Bose Vs JBL shootout. We could do a AB test using $12K interconnects and also With and without Power conditioners? :D

P.S. it's not a lame thread if search engine will bring in more people to give us more Bose imformation!

Steve0616
06-26-2009, 06:23 AM
Well, to me it is not very difficult to simulate the Bose sound with other speakers...turn on the music, and go listen from another room.

BMWCCA
06-26-2009, 06:36 AM
If Karo syrup were a speaker it would be an L-300.I'm assuming that means that if you really cook with them you'll end up with a sound as intoxicating as home-made caramels? :)

Man, I'm salivating already!

Seriously Tom, we know you're a devoted Altec fan, but what JBLs have you owned or had extensive experience with to make such observations? Your comments, and others, in this thread (below) make enjoyable reading, too.

About 4 years ago I had the chance to buy a pair of pristine L-300s for $800 from a pal and I took a pass, I didn't want them.

But then I've always loved fairy tales! ;)

jcrobso
06-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Well, to me it is not very difficult to simulate the Bose sound with other speakers...turn on the music, and go listen from another room.

In the pro sound world we have a saying "No highs, no lows, must be Bo$e"
So turn down the bass and turn down the highs and then go into the other room.

Doc Mark
06-26-2009, 09:07 AM
"you can't make a pecan pie...."
without Karo syrup. A special purpose for everything.:p

Hi, All,

Speaking of pecan pie, I think mine is the best you will ever eat, period!! I got the recipe from my recently departed Aunt Lona, God Bless her, and instead of the super sweet filling, this pie has the same taste but with more of a custard filling!! OH, man, is it good!! I made three of them for Thanksgiving a few years ago (rolled the crust from scratch, too!), and my little Brother ate them until he had no more room!! On our recent 4,999 mile drive, we got to enjoy that special pie, made by my almost totally blind Uncle Bill, when we were in Texas. He, too, rolls his crust out from scratch, and his version of this stellar pie is also outstanding!! Come visit sometime, and I'll bake you a nice pecan pie, which we can eat whilst listening to our equally stellar JBL L300's!! Oh man, Aunt Lona's pecan pie, and L300's!! Doesn't get much better than that!!!

Oh, yeah, this is a Bo$e thread, isn't it. I'm not fond of them. Our band tried them, and the old adage, "No highs, no lows, must be Bo$e" is absolutely right! But, hey, if anyone else likes them, more power to them, sez I! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

hjames
06-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi, All,

Speaking of pecan pie, I think mine is the best you will ever eat, period!! I got the recipe from my recently departed Aunt Lona, God Bless her, and instead of the super sweet filling, this pie has the same taste but with more of a custard filling!! OH, man, is it good!! I made three of them for Thanksgiving a few years ago (rolled the crust from scratch, too!), and my little Brother ate them until he had no more room!! On our recent 4,999 mile drive, we got to enjoy that special pie, made by my almost totally blind Uncle Bill, when we were in Texas. He, too, rolls his crust out from scratch, and his version of this stellar pie is also outstanding!!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
Nah, you don't get off that easy ...

Time to POST the RECIPE!
Share yummy goodness with your friends in the forum!

Doc Mark
06-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi, Heather,

Ahhh, another pecan pie lover! ;):D I'll dig out the recipe and send it along to you. I'm not sure where to post such a thing on LH. Do we have a "recipe" section??!! Maybe in the "DIY" area!! ;):D:D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Tom Brennan
06-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Seriously Tom, we know you're a devoted Altec fan, but what JBLs have you owned or had extensive experience with to make such observations? Your comments, and others, in this thread (below) make enjoyable reading, too.
;)

Oh, I've owned quite a bit of JBL stuff; various bassbins with D-140s, LE-15s, LE-14s and 2226s, various compression drivers--2420s, 2426s, and LE-175s, various horns and lenses, had a set of those cat's eye tweeters. Until recently I was using a pal's CS 3115s and I enjoyed them a great deal.

I like much JBL stuff but some of their products I find less than thrilling, the L-300 and L-220 among them. I found both to sound muddy and lacking in clarity in the bass and lower midrange. The L-300 is a good speaker, don't get me wrong, but it's flaws were a deal breaker for me.

Hell, I'm an electrostat guy now anyway, no room for big Altecs or JBLs. And they wouldn't fit the new decor. ;)

speakerdave
06-26-2009, 10:40 AM
JBL makes little two-ways for those kinds of systems, restaurants, etc., don't know the model no.'s, and they're a ton better.

Mr. Widget
06-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Hell, I'm an electrostat guy now anyway, no room for big Altecs or JBLs. And they wouldn't fit the new decor. ;)Off topic, but... if you ever have a chance to hear the big Soundlabs electrostats (not their hybrids), you should give them a listen. They are not as pretty as the Martin Logans, but they are quite a bit better I think.

As for Bose, I have heard them in grocery stores, restaurants, and even clubs... sometimes they sound good and usually they sound like most any other poorly designed commercial system designed for background "music".

Widget

Tom Brennan
06-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Off topic, but... if you ever have a chance to hear the big Soundlabs electrostats (not their hybrids), you should give them a listen. They are not as pretty as the Martin Logans, but they are quite a bit better I think.

No I haven't heard them. The local dealer is a fella I know who often came to our horn club meetings, he wants me to come hear the SoundLabs but I told him I'm afraid to. ;) I'm happy with what I have and don't want to open a can of worms.

Audiobeer
06-26-2009, 05:18 PM
No I haven't heard them. The local dealer is a fella I know who often came to our horn club meetings, he wants me to come hear the SoundLabs but I told him I'm afraid to. ;) I'm happy with what I have and don't want to open a can of worms.

That's funny! I know exactly what you mean. :D

Akira
06-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Hell, I'm an electrostat guy now anyway, no room for big Altecs or JBLs. And they wouldn't fit the new decor. ;)
Bet they sound exquisite on Classical music.
I have only had limited experience with them...one friend who was a classical buff had a pair. (don't know the model)

I once had a chance to buy a Dayton Wright system in mint condition for $600. They were sitting in storage at a cultural center and they didn't know what they were or what they were worth. Actually, neither did I; I just knew they were expensive and probably sounded great. But, they were huge and heavy and at the time I was a condo dweller....if we could only go back in time.