PDA

View Full Version : JBL Synthesis® Calibration Experience

Titanium Dome
05-21-2009, 11:44 PM
*I haven't asked anyone's permission to do this, so keep that in mind. Obviously, I'm doing it anyway.*

Sometime soon, I will have the calibration day of what Chris Neumann tells me is an actual Synthesis® One Array in my "temp" install. It's costing so much that it might be semi-permanent. :p :eek:

Anyway, this is an infrequent event for any LH member, and I thought it would be worth sharing with a small number of members. By "small number" I mean three or four people.

The question arises as to how to do this fairly and also return some value to the site, which has kindly hosted my evolving Synthesis® drama. Here are my thoughts. Bear in mind that none of this is in play at this time, so don't jump the gun. Wait for the official opening of the opportunity later in this thread.

As I get closer to scheduling the calibration day, I plan to announce the opportunity to come and experience it. It could be any day of the week, but there will be notice beforehand of the day and time, at least several days in advance.

When it is confirmed, I'll make the announcement here, and the first three people to donate $33 (or more) to LH and indicate that they want to attend the calibration will be invited to the event. In addition, one of the first three can invite an additional person by making an additional $33 donation after they've been notified that they've been guaranteed attendance. That will be the first person to donate the additional $33.

Whether he knows it or not, Bo will report to me the names of the first three donors. If fewer than three make the donation, then only the number who actually do will be invited.

In addition to witnessing an actual JBL Synthesis® calibration with Harman's exclusive calibration software, there will be the chance to see and hear a few other JBL systems, such as the Performance Series 5.1 MCH music system, the S/2600 pair, an SVA 5.1 system, an XPL200 pair, and more. We may watch a few minutes of Master and Commander or Lord of the Rings just to loosen things up.

There will even be some burgers and dogs on the BBQ and perhaps some brews in the cooler.

At this point in time, these are my thoughts. I hope some of you find it of interest.

Mike Ronesia
05-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Sounds cool. If I were a little closer I'd sure be wanting to attend. Good Idea Doug.:applaud:

pos
05-22-2009, 01:59 AM
Why not do an ebay auction for this, with 3 items?
That would be easier and cleaner for sure.
If people pay and do not get their ticket that will generate frustration...

Hoerninger
05-22-2009, 02:25 AM
If people pay and do not get their ticket that will generate frustration...
As owner and host I would not be inclined to show completely foreign people, and this could happen, the way to my extraordinary gear.
It could be me who will be frustrated later. :no:

I think it is a great offer by TiDome to the forumites.

pos
05-22-2009, 02:40 AM
That could be a private auction

I think something like "the three members that pay the most can come" is cleaner than "the fastest three members can come, and the others do not get them money back". Plus the auction could even gather more money.

Anyway, that is just silly talk from me as I would never be able to attempt :blah:

80sKid
05-22-2009, 07:39 AM
...I think something like "the three members that pay the most can come" is cleaner than "the fastest three members can come, and the others do not get them money back". Plus the auction could even gather more money...

IMO, such a thing shouldn't be about "who has the deepest pockets."

I believe a method that provides equality for all members is much more fair.

So I would submit that this should be a raffle. Names would be randomly drawn from a list of those who say they want to participate and WILL make the requested donation to LH (should their name be drawn).

One person would keep the list of who has entered the raffle and they will scramble the list at raffle close. Then, another person (perhaps the site owner / forum master) will post a public message with the winner numbers he has randomly chosen. The first person would then look at the list and determine what names correspond to those numbers.

BMWCCA
05-22-2009, 08:16 AM
As I get closer to scheduling the calibration day, I plan to announce the opportunity to come and experience it. It could be any day of the week, but there will be notice beforehand of the day and time, at least several days in advance.Sounds like fun. I'll check on air fares! ;)

Titanium Dome
05-22-2009, 09:08 AM
IMO, such a thing shouldn't be about "who has the deepest pockets."

I believe a method that provides equality for all members is much more fair.

So I would submit that this should be a raffle. Names would be randomly drawn from a list of those who say they want to participate and WILL make the requested donation to LH (should their name be drawn).

One person would keep the list of who has entered the raffle and they will scramble the list at raffle close. Then, another person (perhaps the site owner / forum master) will post a public message with the winner numbers he has randomly chosen. The first person would then look at the list and determine what names correspond to those numbers.

This is a reasonable proposal, though it would mean more work for Bo. Let's see if he has any comment.

Titanium Dome
05-22-2009, 09:14 AM
As owner and host I would not be inclined to show completely foreign people, and this could happen, the way to my extraordinary gear.
It could be me who will be frustrated later. :no:

I think it is a great offer by TiDome to the forumites.

True, I am not interested in anyone from outside LH. My location is secure, but not unassailable. If it appears the risk is too high, then I'd turn it into "by invitation only."

This idea is a work in progress, so keep the comments coming. Thanks! :wave:

boputnam
05-22-2009, 09:33 AM
This is a reasonable proposal, though it would mean more work for Bo. Let's see if he has any comment.Hey, Doug...

I have no problem with this whatsoever! You ingenuity and generosity never cease to amaze. I'll let you handle the raffle bit - you have proven to be a very fair man - and the tallying of the donations by me will be the easy part. :)

Zilch
05-22-2009, 01:16 PM
There will even be some burgers and dogs on the BBQ and perhaps some brews in the cooler.What kinda brews? :D

Titanium Dome
05-22-2009, 07:54 PM
What kinda brews? :D

Maybe this kind?

grumpy
05-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Nice offer and rare opportunity. I'm not clear of what's required given
the iterations, but if I can make it (schedule-wise) and clear the selection
or raffle process, I'd be honored to donate and attend.

Titanium Dome
05-22-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm waiting for three things:

1) I get everything done this weekend that I'm supposed to get done. :help: (I'm pretty confident, actually.)

2) I schedule the installation and calibration day.:deal:

3) I announce the date and open registration for the raffle in this thread, give it a couple of days to run, contact the three lucky entrants, confirm they make the specified donations to LH with Bo, and we're off!

:drive: :cheers: :beach: :dj-party:

Titanium Dome
05-27-2009, 04:23 PM
As noted in another thread

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=253043&postcount=178

I should be ready for the calibration after this weekend. Once the calibration equipment is reserved, I'll announce the date here, and the registration can begin.

Chris has graciously agreed to have us observe the process, as long as we're well-behaved. I told him we'd be eating and drinking to excess, so that should be no problem. :cheers: :p

Okay, I actually told him we were all decent blokes and would be glad for the experience.

He thinks it could take a week or two to get the equipment reserved from JBL/Harman, since it's in limited supply, maybe 15 kits (which he put together BTW) distributed around the world. I'm pretty lucky to have him handling this part. :yes:

Titanium Dome
05-31-2009, 05:42 PM
We made a ton of progress today, so the calibration date is near. I should know by the end of the week when it will take place.

Stay tuned. :bouncy:

Titanium Dome
06-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Chris confirmed a reservation for the JBL DACS gear for next weekend. As of now, I don't know if it will be Saturday the 13th or Sunday the 14th. Since the calibration system has been so hard to get, we'll definitely want to use it while he's got it.

From a Harman press release on the SDEC-4000 winning a CES 2008 Design and Innovation Award:

spkrman57
06-07-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm sure a rare occasion for the lucky raffle winners to experience!

Ron

Titanium Dome
06-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Here's how it will work.

A. You can register to participate three ways:
1. If you are available Saturday the 13th, send me a PM and indicate "Saturday" and you'll be in that pool only.
2. If you are available Sunday the 14th, send me a PM and indicate "Sunday" and you'll be in that pool only.
3. If you're available both Saturday the 13th and Sunday the 14th, send me a PM, indicate "Both days" and you'll be in both pools. Whichever day it turns out the calibration takes place, you'll have a shot at attending.

B. Contact Info
You must give me your real name and a working phone number. If you're selected to attend, I will call you direct to set up your participation.

C. Drawing
On the evening of Wednesday, June 10, three names will be drawn from either the Saturday pool or Sunday pool as appropriate. These persons will be called immediately. I'll leave a message if the person is not there, and he or she will have a limited time of 12 hours to get back to me. If I can't reach him or her, then another name will be drawn.

If there are only three names or fewer in the appropriate pool, then all registrants will be called.

D. Donation
Each successful participant is expected to donate $33 to Lansing Heritage. This is NOT required in advance of the drawing. It can be paid after being selected. Bo will inform me when the designated attendees have paid.

E. Participation
1. Participants will be expected to follow Chris Neumann's directions at all times.
2. During the lengthy calibration process, there will be opportunities to hear other systems in other parts of the house.
3. There may be opportunities for doing some free, light work. ;)
4. There is no smoking in or near the house please.
5. When in the main house, you'll have to remove your shoes. We have slippers, socks, etc., or you can bring your own. In the lower level HT, shoes are fine (for now :p ).
6. Food and refreshments will be provided, cooked and eaten outdoors. I'll have some beer, soft drinks, water, and grilled food, along with salads, fruit, and snacks. Feel free to bring your own beer or other beverage if you have a special taste, but it's not a frat party.
7. There are a lot of steps. If mobility is a problem, you might think twice about attending.
8. The event is likely to last around four hours, from mid morning to early afternoon, though Chris will determine the exact hours. So flexibility is important.

Interested? Then PM me.

Baffled
06-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Its about like watching grass grow. wake me up when its over.

Mike Ronesia
06-07-2009, 08:17 PM
If this were the history of Earth, there would be humans by now.;)

Titanium Dome
06-07-2009, 09:40 PM

That's why there's food and other systems to audition. Plus for most of us, it's a one-time experience.

I'm sure once will be enough.

Now go rain on someone else's slow-growing grass. :p

BMWCCA
06-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Its about like watching grass grow. wake me up when its over.Just more sour-grapes from one too far away to easily attend anyway? ;)

Titanium Dome
06-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Just more sour-grapes from one too far away to easily attend anyway? ;)

My guess is that he's been through a few, and it gets old. I wouldn't want to sit through them too often--just when I upgrade! :bouncy:

JBL 4645
06-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Don’t you mean watching paint dry. LOL thou Dome as being doing quite a bit of panting and I was staring at the picture for hours waiting for it to dry.:D

I don’t know how to read I’m dyslexic.:D

So what is this thread about?

Dome please, does this mean we get to pop along and see how its calibrated and then take home the knowledge and wisdom to perform a better EQ to calibration?:p

Are you going to do a video and put it up on youtube because if not I’d be supremely disappointed if this moment isn’t documented with sound and video on youtube. No dodgy wav file links I want to be able to go to youtube and see the unveiling of the Mega Dome Theater on youtube.:bouncy:

Here's how it will work.

A. You can register to participate three ways:
1. If you are available Saturday the 13th, send me a PM and indicate "Saturday" and you'll be in that pool only.
2. If you are available Sunday the 14th, send me a PM and indicate "Sunday" and you'll be in that pool only.
3. If you're available both Saturday the 13th and Sunday the 14th, send me a PM, indicate "Both days" and you'll be in both pools. Whichever day it turns out the calibration takes place, you'll have a shot at attending.

B. Contact Info
You must give me your real name and a working phone number. If you're selected to attend, I will call you direct to set up your participation.

C. Drawing
On the evening of Wednesday, June 10, three names will be drawn from either the Saturday pool or Sunday pool as appropriate. These persons will be called immediately. I'll leave a message if the person is not there, and he or she will have a limited time of 12 hours to get back to me. If I can't reach him or her, then another name will be drawn.

If there are only three names or fewer in the appropriate pool, then all registrants will be called.

D. Donation
Each successful participant is expected to donate $33 to Lansing Heritage. This is NOT required in advance of the drawing. It can be paid after being selected. Bo will inform me when the designated attendees have paid.

E. Participation
1. Participants will be expected to follow Chris Neumann's directions at all times.
2. During the lengthy calibration process, there will be opportunities to hear other systems in other parts of the house.
3. There may be opportunities for doing some free, light work. ;)
4. There is no smoking in or near the house please.
5. When in the main house, you'll have to remove your shoes. We have slippers, socks, etc., or you can bring your own. In the lower level HT, shoes are fine (for now :p ).
6. Food and refreshments will be provided, cooked and eaten outdoors. I'll have some beer, soft drinks, water, and grilled food, along with salads, fruit, and snacks. Feel free to bring your own beer or other beverage if you have a special taste, but it's not a frat party.
7. There are a lot of steps. If mobility is a problem, you might think twice about attending.
8. The event is likely to last around four hours, from mid morning to early afternoon, though Chris will determine the exact hours. So flexibility is important.

Interested? Then PM me.

What’s with the donation what is the JBL on life support and needs a new transplant?

I donated a small fee a few months ago.

I get sodden THX email saying come along and lean the tricks to become THX! I can train my cat for free to tackle a bug toy, much less pay someone because he had to fork out hundreds if not thousands, but isn’t willing enough to share for FREE!

I can watch videos of the Manhattan project for free on youtube!

No Pum Dome, besides I live 17 thousands miles away and I would even pay 1p to travel much less see how its done. I wonder if there an insider that can show a video link to how its done.

Or I could pick the brains at BTS I’m sure they’ll be more than happy and willing to share for free.

Titanium Dome
06-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Dome please, does this mean we get to pop along and see how its calibrated and then take home the knowledge and wisdom to perform a better EQ to calibration?:p

Are you going to do a video and put it up on youtube because if not I’d be supremely disappointed if this moment isn’t documented with sound and video on youtube. No dodgy wav file links I want to be able to go to youtube and see the unveiling of the Mega Dome Theater on youtube.:bouncy:

What’s with the donation what is the JBL on life support and needs a new transplant?

I donated a small fee a few months ago.

It's a fundraiser for Lansing Heritage, not for JBL. It's meant to raise a few bucks for the Web site is all.

No video, sorry. JBL is quite particular about this system and its use. Check out the use agreement.

http://65.106.104.130:8090/JBL/Performance/DACS/DACS%20Request%20Policy%20FY04.pdf

Titanium Dome
06-09-2009, 09:40 PM
The calibration date is Saturday. If interested, it's now Saturday only.

Titanium Dome
06-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Tomorrow at 10 AM it all begins, three-and-a-half months from when I first dove into the deep, so to speak. Not many were interested in coming, but we'll report anyway.

After we eat the steaks and drink the beer, of course... :D

MikeBrewster77
06-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Not many were interested in coming, but we'll report anyway.

Damn - that's actually quite shocking to me! If I wasn't on the other coast, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Nonetheless, enjoy the well-deserved experience, have a beer for me, and [as I believe it was equated to previously] have a great time enjoying your newly planted grass grow! :applaud:

Mike Ronesia
06-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Me too.:D Have a great day. I know this must be up there on your list.

Hoerninger
06-13-2009, 12:07 AM
Not many were interested in coming, but we'll report anyway.

The distance, the distance ...
Enjoy the day, please give a report. :bouncy:

Earl K
06-13-2009, 02:45 AM
Tomorrow at 10 AM it all begins, three-and-a-half months from when I first dove into the deep, so to speak. Not many were interested in coming, but we'll report anyway.

After we eat the steaks and drink the beer, of course... :D

Have fun / geez, I would have gladly paid $33.00 to get in the door to see what's going on .

>< cheers :)

opimax
06-13-2009, 05:49 AM
I too would have been there but 3000 miles or so...and taken home the door prize of the 240ti at a great price but see the 3000 mile part again :(

Hope it all goes well

Mark

nlsteele
06-13-2009, 11:31 AM
You know I wanted to come. Wish I could be there to hear and watch, but I'll gladly live vicariously through photos and descriptions when you can peel yourself away from that well calibrated behemoth of a system. ;) :applaud:

grumpy
06-13-2009, 04:33 PM
... quite an interesting process, and a kind host. I'll let TD fill in the details
as he desires, but will provide a peek at what was missed by those who
were not able to attend :):

Zilch
06-13-2009, 04:44 PM
-10 points for gratuitous meanness. :blink:

Show the frosty, frothy brews, and there's gonna be trouble, I guarantee.... ;)

nlsteele
06-13-2009, 05:01 PM
So hungry... :cooked:

grumpy
06-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm an older sibling... ;)

nlsteele
06-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Thankfully now I've eaten, but as a younger sibling, allow me to confirm: You suck. :D

Mike Ronesia
06-13-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm an older sibling... ;)

Now there's a mighty fine looking beer. The steaks look good as well. It's only 2pm here but you have me thinking about firing up the BBQ and cracking a cold one.

grumpy
06-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Please have a look at TD's "Room Design" and "Something Big" threads for
photos and some info on how it went.