PDA

View Full Version : Looking for recone kits

MR.T.
04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi, I'm a new member and I was hoping that somebody might know where I
can purchase a re-cone for a JBL ME-150-H 15" woofer, I had a pair till my amp DC'ed one of them. I would like to re-cone it but I've contacted some suppliers and no luck finding a kit!
MR.T.

robertbartsch
05-01-2009, 06:51 AM
Non-licenced individuals cannot buy OEM recone kits. Aftermarket kits are not the same as OEM and should be avoided.

MR.T.
05-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the info but do you know where could buy kits. I live in Winnipeg Manitoba and have found no one here that can help me. I have re-coned many other speakers, not using OEM re-cone kits and never had a problem. If You know any JBl dealer that I could contact this info would be great. Thanks
Todd

John
05-03-2009, 11:30 PM
You can try Advance pro on wall st. But I will warn you they will empty your pockets. Best to find a USA dealer.

tomee
05-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Non-licenced individuals cannot buy OEM recone kits. Aftermarket kits are not the same as OEM and should be avoided.

Orange County Speakers use aftermarket recone kits when the JBL product is not available - are these really that bad?

Earl K
05-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Orange County Speakers use aftermarket recone kits when the JBL product is not available - are these really that bad?

- Lots of reconers offer aftermarket kits .

- JBL publishes extensive TS parameters for their transducers which ought to enable reconers to "prove" their aftermarkets are up to specification ( via testing with $200.00 software ) .
- The sad fact is / none that I'm aware of , do ( or will ) provide an actual performance based spec. , for their aftermarket kit.

- This glarring omission is good enough for me to state ; they just aren't up to scratch .

:)

pierce
05-06-2009, 04:44 PM
the local pro sound rental-n-repair place near me here does lots of speaker recones, and JBL speakers are pretty damn popular in pro gear. they use 'good' aftermarket stuff, and stand by it, as (quote) JBL Cone Kits are too effin' expensive (end quote).

the problem with aftermarket is, you are sort of taking your chances. it could be as good as the OEM, but there's no guarantees. dealing with a reputable dealer/vendor greatly ups your chances. I know a bunch of guitar players who are pretty damn picky about the sound and tone of their D120F/K120 JBL guitar speakers, and those who've had aftermarket recones seem to think they sound just fine.

Zilch
05-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Factory recone one, aftermarket another, measure them both under identical conditions, preferably at the same time.

How hard is that?

How come nobody's ever done it and published the results?

Trade secret, right? :blink:

John
05-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Factory recone one, aftermarket another, measure them both under identical conditions, preferably at the same time.

How hard is that?

How come nobody's ever done it and published the results?

Trade secret, right? :blink:

Not hard, that's why it will never happen.;)

And if someone does anounce that they will. :)

They will get slammed. :(

Jakob
05-08-2009, 03:53 AM
Hi Mr. T!

It's the wrong side of the pool, but Guido (in Germany) on this forum provided me with a pair of ME150 recones. Maybe he can point You in the right direction.

Great sounding woofers, right?!

What punishment did the amp get? ;)

Regards!

4313B
05-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Yeah, and I'm even getting a little deja vu about this discussion.Yeah, I'm beyond bored with it. Previous posts deleted.

4313B
05-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Hi Mr. T!

It's the wrong side of the pool, but Guido (in Germany) on this forum provided me with a pair of ME150 recones. Maybe he can point You in the right direction.Yeah, JBL Consumer doesn't have any but maybe Harman Europe does.