PDA

View Full Version : CLIO V4 Lite to CLIOwin V6.55 Lite

UreiCollector
04-30-2009, 07:11 AM
I wanted to share with anyone using the old CLIO V4 Lite software with the ISA hardware card...

I purchased the software upgrade to CLIOwin 6.55 Lite, and I have to say that it is like having a brand new piece of test equipment! It was $219 USD for the upgrade, but money well spent....the slow performance of the old DOS version is definately due to the software and not the hardware. There is no longer a laggy mouse during measurements....frequency sweeps are MUCH faster, the MLS is amazing...all around a much better tool!

If your on the fence about droping the $ on the upgrade, rest assured that it is money well spent!

http://www.audiomatica.com/cliowin/cliowin6.htm

Happy listening!

UreiCollector
04-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Also, CLIOwin gives you the ability to export your data (text format), for import into SoundEasy, Excel, etc!

Mr. Widget
04-30-2009, 07:46 AM
I never used V4, but I did move up from V6.5 Lite to V7... that offered even more bells and whistles, but most importantly allowed the use of a laptop... and apparently V8 with new available hardware is even easier to use in the portable environment. For us hobbyists, I don't think the full version is necessary.

CLIO is an outstanding system, though even buying the current Lite version is not inexpensive.

Widget

hjames
04-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Okay, I have an older 2.4 gig Pentium4 tower system that I haven't used much since I went to Macs about 4 years ago ...
It was a pretty state of the art homebuilt 5 years ago (Intel motherboard, etc) pretty sure its PCI bus, AGP video card ...
So, what audio card do I need?

Do you think that system is suitable?

I wanted to share with anyone using the old CLIO V4 Lite software with the ISA hardware card...

I purchased the software upgrade to CLIOwin 6.55 Lite, and I have to say that it is like having a brand new piece of test equipment! It was $219 USD for the upgrade, but money well spent....the slow performance of the old DOS version is definately due to the software and not the hardware. There is no longer a laggy mouse during measurements....frequency sweeps are MUCH faster, the MLS is amazing...all around a much better tool!

If your on the fence about droping the $ on the upgrade, rest assured that it is money well spent!

http://www.audiomatica.com/cliowin/cliowin6.htm

Happy listening!

Earl K
04-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Okay, I have an older 2.4 gig Pentium4 tower system that I haven't used much since I went to Macs about 4 years ago ...
It was a pretty state of the art homebuilt 5 years ago (Intel motherboard, etc) pretty sure its PCI bus, AGP video card ...

- I'll be interested in the answer to that question / AFAIK, CLIO is an "all-in-one" turnkey system that ships with everything necessary ( minus the host PC ) enabling a fast way "to get up & running" for serious audio measurements ( ie; soundcard / calibrated test mic / interface box & software / are all included ).

cheers >< :)

Robh3606
04-30-2009, 09:08 AM

Hello Heather

It should work on your P4 system. You don't need a sound card. When you purchase CLIO you get a "card" as part of the package. That is one of it's biggest advantages. You get a complete package and don't have to worry about integration with the soundcard.

What version are you looking at?? I had 7 lite and upgraded to full version and have 7.13 runing now on a Dual Processor set-up. It was originally of a P4 and there is no change between the 2 set-ups

The current version is USB so it's a snap and you don't need a serial port. There is a Firewire version as well, higher sampling rates more expensive.

Rob:)

hjames
04-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Just seems like as many systems as I've gone through lately, it probably makes sense to have some sort of analytic tool to measure all these systems against.

Of course once I start talking that way I realize I need a better designed listening room, I need to move some walls, and ...

... it really never ends, does it!

Hello Heather

It should work on your P4 system. You don't need a sound card. When you purchase CLIO you get a "card" as part of the package. That is one of it's biggest advantages. You get a complete package and don't have to worry about integration with the soundcard.

What version are you looking at?? I had 7 lite and upgraded to full version and have 7.13 runing now on a Dual Processor set-up. It was originally of a P4 and there is no change between the 2 set-ups

The current version is USB so it's a snap and you don't need a serial port. There is a Firewire version as well, higher sampling rates more expensive.

Rob:)

Zilch
04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
CLIO Rocks!

I agree with Widget, that Lite is more than sufficient for most use.

It will take me the rest of my life (and longer) to appreciate the capabilities of the standard version.

Understand that it is a scientific instrument, and you must independently learn how to use it effectively, as via D'Appolito's Testing Loudspeakers and other resources. No cookbook "Do this and here's what it means" instructions come with CLIO. It's an adventure in learning what loudspeaker measurements are about, and a mightily fun and useful one at once.... :thmbsup: