PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

midlife
04-27-2009, 04:39 PM
4311WXA vs. L65Jubals vs. L56, in a small high ceiling room powered by a Crown DC 300? Please give me the whats, wheres, and why's; starting over. thanks. :bouncy:

jblnut
04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
I'd probably try and find some L5's or XPL140's, but that's just me. Do you own all 3 you listed, or are you putting together a shopping list ?

jblnut

midlife
04-27-2009, 05:29 PM
I am putting together a new system, after having lost my entire system including my L300's due to the Katrina flood. So I am open to any suggestions, that being said, I am used to the sound of the 300s and would like to get close to that with JBLs that are suited to a small listening space. I am looking for speakers and I am a little impatient to buy so I can begin replacing my system. thanks.

MikeBrewster77
04-27-2009, 06:25 PM
I am looking for speakers and I am a little impatient to buy so I can begin replacing my system. thanks.

I can totally relate to this feeling, but I was given some great advice years ago by a guy I used deal with a lot at a local hi-fi shop. After auditioning a pair of speakers I liked, I asked "do you have them in stock?" Of course they didn't, so the next thing you know I'm saying "well, let me hear these." This went on a few times until he finally stopped me and essentially said - don't buy based on what's available, buy based upon what you like.

So, while I can imagine you're eager to rebuild and start enjoying the JBL sound again, I'd highly recommend listening first. With you having named three fairly disparate choices, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the choice is being narrowed down primarily based on availability. The three speakers you named all have pretty decidedly different characteristics, so if they're local, at least try to see if you can audition them prior to making a decision.

You also indicated in a separate post that cost is a bigger concern this time around than when you purchased the L300's. Again, if that's the case, I'd even more strongly recommend hearing them first, since you'll likely be living with this purchase for quite some time.

One last consideration is that if you are buying local, you may want to actually see the speakers up close and in person to carefully look for evidence of water damage.

Best of luck, and glad to hear you are recovering from Katrina.

Best,
- Mike

midlife
04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I am shopping for potential "good deals" on ebay. I think you can get very good items from ebay and certainly very disappointing purchases as well. I have found 4311s, Jubals, L56s, and L100s. Not being a very knowledgable person reguarding JBL speakers (just happen to luck into the acquisition of my 300s, 20+ yrs ago) I now know I will probably not settle for anything but JBL's. However since the Katrina hurricane I have had to move to a smaller dwelling, and as mentioned earlier, I am now starting from scratch to replace my system. Ofcourse listening to a particular model would be nice but I may not have that option. Any members insight to a certain model or related components is useful and appreciated.

Doc Mark
04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Hey, Midlife,

You have my sincere condolences, Sir. What a horrible happenstance, to have your L300's, and all other goodies swept away like that!!

If you liked the top end of your L300's, the L65 Jubals use the same tweeter, the 077/2405. The L65's won't sound as "big" as the L300's, but I'm thinking that the sound character might be fairly close. I've never compared them directly, and so could be very wrong about that. But, if I were to choose between the ones you are considering, I'd probably take the L65 Jubals, and then maybe add a nice little sub to help out on the bottom end. For what it's worth..... Best of luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

MikeBrewster77
04-27-2009, 07:42 PM
In reality - or at least IMHO - nothing you've stated so far as a potential option is the equivalent of the L300, sadly. I know you're looking for deals, but it might be helpful if you could share your budget. There are a lot of good JBL speakers out there, but right now you're kind of "all over the map" likely because price/value/good deal is dictating your choice - which isn't a bad thing as long as you can navigate accordingly.

For example, the L56 is probably the "worst" choice of everything you've listed - it's boomy on the low end and a better choice would be the L46. It's also a two way, as opposed to the three ways you've mentioned. The L96 (an "equivalent" 3-way to the 56) is a very well-respected speaker that might be a good option. The L100 and 4311 are going to be exceptionally close choices (home vs. pro.) The Jubal is a good design and well-regarded speaker - probably the closest to the L300's sound, but not what I would call a "peer."

Hope this provides some insight, though admittedly I haven't A/B'd all of the speakers I've discussed, so my impressions may be relative or colored over time.

Best,
- Mike

I have found 4311s, Jubals, L56s, and L100s.

Robh3606
04-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Hello Midlife

Not to pee on your parade but I think you need to look at what you are really getting into. All of these systems are 20+ years old. After 20+ years all the drivers are tired to say the least. You best bet with any of these systems would be to refurbish them with new cone kits. That way they are essentially factory fresh and you will get the most out of them.

There's the rub, you can't get recone kits for some drivers in the older systems. Some are well covered others have gaps where a driver is no longer supported. Your safest system for continued support would be L300/4333 but it's not cheap to maintain them. All up you would be looking at between $800-$1000 to bring a beater pair of L300 back up to spec with new kits.

Any of the vintage stuff on Ebay you should look at as core value assuming some of the drivers will need to be reconed if not now down the line for sure. There are no guarantees any of this stuff was properly maintained or cared for so it's a real crap shoot unless you get lucky with a local sale where you can audition first and speak to the owner. Keep that in mind.

Like many things there are always hidden costs of ownership and a vintage JBL system is no different. If you really want to get the most out of them they need regular maintenance just like any other precision instrument. Don't get me wrong I not trying to talk you out of them just that the cost of ownership is more that what you are going to pay on Ebay.

Take your time and good luck.

Rob:)

macaroonie
04-28-2009, 02:10 AM
I concur with the suggestion of the L96. Star performer of its day and in a smaller space will give the type of clarity and immediacy that you are used to without being bass shy at all. Downside AFAIK the bass driver is not supported anymore although edge kits are readily available.

L65 is also a contender and will have much of the character of the L300

Seldom mentioned here but the 240Ti could also be worth a look.

Best of luck:)

macaroonie
04-28-2009, 04:34 AM
For your interest:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-L96-DELtA_W0QQitemZ110383021650QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpea kers_Subwoofers?hash=item110383021650&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

midlife
04-28-2009, 06:35 AM
Thanks Mac, I looked at the ebay link, and they look clean and well cared for by a proud collector; on my watch list. Are they too much for a small room? I like crown amps ( I had a DC300), do you have any suggestions for an amp and preamp combo? I really appreciate simplicity and ease of use, my budget for amp & pre is apprx. $650.oo "What would you do?" thanks, Sal. :bouncy: