PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to complete this setup?

Keno
04-26-2009, 12:46 PM
I have recently inherited a set of speakers my father built back in the 80's. He intended to use them for music festivals and such but they were only used once and since then they have been used mostly in his home system.

Now I intend to take up his legacy and start using the speakers for outdoor events like small concerts and such.
Though, Im not at all familiar with setups of this magnitude and I do need help where I should go from here.

This is the system:

2 speakers with 3 JBL e120-16

2 speakers with 3 JBL e110-8

2 treble speakers consisting of 1 JBL 2420 16ohm, 1 JBL 2402 8ohm and 1
Gollehon 4660.
I intend to install those on a small trailor and.. This is how for ive got..
What do I need now to make the most of them? Naturally I need an amp, but Ive only had experience with home systems consisting of 2 speakers and I do not at all know what I need for this setup. Do I need anything else? (I have a 24 channel mixerboard which I will use in the setup) How powerheavy will the setup be, alas, will I be able to use only linked car batteries or do I need to purchase a generator?

I apologize if this thread is in the wrong section, and if so, please move it to where it should be.

Regards, Simon.

boputnam
04-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Simon - post some pictures when you get a chance.

First impressions?

- Those E120's and E110's are not the best choice for SR applications. It can be done, but you have to be hella careful to not drive those voice coils out of the gaps. If you're serious, you might sell those tranducers and get someting more appropriate for SR as "mains". If you stick with these, you are going to want a subwoofer.

- what kind of horn is on the "treble" speakers?

- car batteries will not work. You will need proper AC support, either remote generator or a tie to the grid.

- you are heading to a four-way system. This is going to get complicated and costly. Are you up for it?

speakerdave
04-28-2009, 12:51 PM
What do I need to complete this setup?

- you are heading to a four-way system. This is going to get complicated and costly. Are you up for it?

I think the one inch compression drivers are out of place in SR.

It's kinda like this: Someone once said about drag racing that the only thing better than cubic inches is rectangular dollars.