PDA

View Full Version : Need more outputs

badfish
04-16-2009, 09:40 AM
My problem: one pre-amp output to feed five hungry amplifiers. I would like to control volume with one knob. Thanks, Mark

JBL 4645
04-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Is that five monaural amps or five stereo amps?

badfish
04-16-2009, 09:53 AM
That would be five stereo amps for five pair of speakers

JBL 4645
04-16-2009, 09:58 AM
That would be five stereo amps for five pair of speakers

Is this for an AVR home system use? If so a simple second hand AVR that supports six channel input with six-channel out should be able to fade all six channels simulateously.

Maybe a mixing console board would be best suited. Seems like its for something other?

I’m thinking five speakers so that would be matching five, no?
As for five amps is that in bridge mode no?

grumpy
04-16-2009, 10:03 AM
http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=mda5arca&subtype=109

JBL 4645
04-16-2009, 10:08 AM
http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=mda5arca&subtype=109

Hmm, a most fascinating device, Grumpy

Now patch this device up with simple stereo preamp from the outputs to inputs and then channel off the five outputs to the stereo amps.
http://www.extron.com/product/img-lg/mda5arca-lg.jpg

grumpy
04-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Generic term is Distribution Amplifier, or "DA"... Balanced/pro versions are more common. Video or IF or ... other uses are even more common (but not applicable).

I was a little surprised to find this unit. Can't speak for it's sound quality, ... and if I did
guess/comment I'd just piss off at least two camps :)

badfish
04-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the prompt replies, I'm not familiar with AVR since I'm just a stereo guy so am I correct in thinking : CD player sings to the pre-amp who then sings into the AV receiver who then sings in five directions to the waiting stereo amps who then sing even louder to the five pair of JBLs .. could you suggest a preferred brand/model for this interface? thanks again, Mark

JBL 4645
04-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Generic term is Distribution Amplifier, or "DA"... Balanced/pro versions are more common. Video or IF or ... other uses are even more common (but not applicable).

I was a little surprised to find this unit. Can't speak for it's sound quality, ... and if I did
guess/comment I'd just piss off at least two camps :)

Hmm, it’s not bad looking device if it works fine. I’ll make a note of it for possible future upgrade or modification/improvement.

badfish
04-16-2009, 10:21 AM
This device posted by Grumpy might be what I am looking for. Do you think the signal from the pre-amp will be strong enough to do all this traveling?

hjames
04-16-2009, 10:26 AM
This device posted by Grumpy might be what I am looking for. Do you think the signal from the pre-amp will be strong enough to do all this traveling?

How far are you planning on sending the original preamp signal?

is your source and preamp in one room, then you plan to run its output to Amps that are in other rooms?

Describe your vision a little more please ...

grumpy
04-16-2009, 10:27 AM
The device claims to put out the same voltage on all 5 ports as the input and has
a normal input impedance (shouldn't load down your preamp). Part of the point of a
DA is to isolate the downstream devices from your source.

Traveling?

stephane RAME
04-16-2009, 10:32 AM
1 in - 6 out

http://www.rane.com/sm26s.html#lit

Stéphane

Hoerninger
04-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Describe your vision a little more please ...
Mark,

please add the output resistance and the minimum load of your pre and the input resistance of your amp(s).
It is possibly sufficient to use a 22 kOhm pot (linear!) as volume control and five 10 kOhm resistors in series with each amps input (the whole doubled for stereo).

badfish
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I went to the Extron website, their diagrams show exactly what I need to do. Thanks everybody for the help (the JBL choir thanks you also) Regards, Mark

JBL 4645
04-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I went to the Extron website, their diagrams show exactly what I need to do. Thanks everybody for the help (the JBL choir thanks you also) Regards, Mark

I was unaware we had a JBL choir?
Jesus Blessed Lord JBL:D

http://www.prosoundweb.com/images/uploads/JBL_StJosephs.jpg

badfish
04-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Allow me to introduce to you, the JBL choir, in the mezzanine we have: the L100t3, L166, L50, L26, and for a little diversity the large Advents. We are always looking to audition new talent... Regards, Mark

boputnam
04-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Good one, Dave.

The device claims to put out the same voltage on all 5 ports as the input and has a normal input impedance...Oddest thing - it shows a cassette recorder being fed from one of the outputs. Usually, one does not want the recording feed post-fader (if you will...). :dont-know

grumpy
04-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Oddest thing - it shows a cassette recorder being fed from one of the outputs. Usually, one does not want the recording feed post-fader (if you will...). :dont-know

Yeah... you'd want to have full end-to-end control of a system and think
it through. In their picture, you'd have to independently pad the amps
and set the recording level (assuming CD player is running full-out).
In this case, it appears there is no pre or fader before the DA.

Easy to use a tool improperly and then blame it for problems. :)

badfish
04-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Just an update, my A/V distribution amplifier (Cable Electronics model av400 ) arrived today $69.99 from Tiger Direct as opposed to the Extron equivalent for $190. It's hooked up to the pre-out and feeds four power amps which in turn feed four pair of speakers, one volume control keeps all the JBL beasts under control. These units can be daisy chained with no signal loss (so they say) so there is potential for future expansion!!! Needless to say I'm pleased with the results. Once again, THANKS to the Gurus of the forum.Regards, Mark

jomina
04-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Oddest thing - it shows a cassette recorder being fed from one of the outputs. Usually, one does not want the recording feed post-fader (if you will...). Maybe not for live music, but in a boardroom or meeting room using (eg) gated boundary mics and a bunch of eq to dull the ac/projector/room noise and with added echo cancellation for the VC and that buzz coming through from the PBX connection to the telephone conference, post fader is often exactly what is wanted.