PDA

View Full Version : Internet threats

JBL Dog
03-31-2009, 04:38 PM
It has been recommended that you disconnect your computer(s) from the internet by midnight tonight and don't connect again until midnight April 2. I'm not talking just logging on. Unplug your modem, disconnect eathernet cable, etc.

Read on:

http://news.aol.com/article/conficker-worm-virus-april-1/402022?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle %2Fconficker-worm-virus-april-1%2F402022

:banghead:

boputnam
03-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Make sure your Windows updates are all current.
Run any Ad-Ware software you may have.
Make sure your Malware software is current.
And, same for your antivirus software.

Updates for these programs are issued hourly, in some cases, so make sure you are current.

hjames
03-31-2009, 05:25 PM

Updates for these programs are issued hourly, in some cases, so make sure you are current.

Apparently, conficker blocks you from getting to the Symantec or MacAfee websites - it doesn't want you to fix an infected machine - so if you try these link and can't get there, you may have a problem!

http://www.mcafeesecure.com/

http://www.symantec.com/

Or get a freakin' MAC already!:applaud:

MikeBrewster77
03-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the update Dog and the great advice Bo. Just as one added piece, ensure your firewall is operating properly.

MikeBrewster77
03-31-2009, 05:32 PM
Or get a freakin' MAC already!:applaud:

Go ahead, please, keep advertising for them! Eventually, they'll get popular enough that hackers will start targeting them, and give us PC users a well-deserved break ;)

hjames
03-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Go ahead, please, keep advertising for them! Eventually, they'll get popular enough that hackers will start targeting them, and give us PC users a well-deserved break ;)

Nah, the general PC user is a dumbo and a fool - They buy cheap computers
and don't maintain their software or their setups (present company excluded of course).

Microsoft patched this vulnerability but did the general user set their PC for auto-updates or check in to manual update it over the last 4 months - nahh ...

These kinds of worms will never go away until the cable companies actually do something and block the cable modem for customers whose with trojan infected computers that are acting as Spam distribution networks and clogging the nets ...

MikeBrewster77
03-31-2009, 05:50 PM
... and don't maintain their software or their setups (present company excluded of course)

Software has to be updated? :p Oh, and thanks for the caveat around present company. ;)

This is an important announcement, and I don't mean to detract from the criticality of ensuring everyone is protected from the threat, but I couldn't resist this:

hjames
03-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Software has to be updated? :p Oh, and thanks for the caveat around present company. ;)

I DID explain that you try and go to Macafee or Symantec website and if you can't get there,
it might indicate that your machine is infected.
The Tech sites have said that the Conficker worm blocks access to those sites.

Joke all you like - I'm headed offline...
my machine will still be running in the AM ...

Me? to sleep, perchance to dream -
The machine is a a MAC, it stays online -
in addition to my web access it also runs my home automation and such...
Its firewalled and NATed ...
Its a MAC, only PCs can get confickered ...

03-31-2009, 07:12 PM

What won't work? Turning your PC off tonight and back on on April 2 will not protect you from the worm (sorry to the dozens of people who wrote me asking if this would do the trick). Temporarily disconnecting your computer from the web won't help if the malware is already on your machine -- it will simply activate once you connect again. Changing the date on your PC will likely have no helpful effect, either. And yes, Macs are immune this time out. Follow the above instructions to detect and remove the worm.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/132464

MikeBrewster77
03-31-2009, 07:16 PM
I appreciate that you and other members were relaying important information, and I respect the collective efforts to help others avoid potential infection (though signing off this evening will unfortunately not accomplish that.) I thought I made a concerted attempt not to downplay the criticality of the situation, while still introducing a bit of levity.

As for me, I'm [always] well secured, updated, and backed-up; I understand the potential gravity of the situation, but I won't be disconnecting. For one, I frequently (including tomorrow) work from home and require continuous access to corporate e-mail. Additionally, I refuse to allow one sad, empty person sitting in a small room somewhere to alter my life that drastically. Lastly, if a system is infected, simply signing off for a day will not prevent the worm from activating when you reconnect.

I also worked in IT during the Y2K "scare" and was on OCC-mandated red alert to ensure system readiness during the transition. Not much of a way to ring in a new millennium (i.e., couldn't even have a drink) and the utterly uneventful climax of that situation has likely left me a bit more immune to these doomsday threats than others may be. In short, I'm not too concerned that - having taken proper precautions - my PC will turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight.

Far more on topic, the worm is purported to prevent Windows users from booting into safe mode, so that is another viable means of checking to see if you are infected.

To those of you signing off, good night and good luck. Talk to you tomorrow. ;)

Best,
- Mike

I DID explain that you try and go to Macafee or Symantec website and if you can't get there,
it might indicate that your machine is infected.
The Tech sites have said that the Conficker worm blocks access to those sites.

Doc Mark
03-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Evening, All,

Sweet Bride and I are all Mac, and have been since the very first, 128K Mac! So, we're not too worried about our machines being effected. However, we do worry about our banking systems, and other such systems, taking a huge hit, possibly.

I guess we'll all see in the coming days, weeks, and months, just how bad it will be, one way, or the other. I always say, if hackers spent half as much time on doing something good, instead of trying to screw everyone else over, they would be rich and successful, and greatly admired the world over. Well.... I guess hackers like those that created the new worm, reputedly Russians, might be all those things already..... Best of luck to one and all, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Titanium Dome
03-31-2009, 08:32 PM
We'll disconnect our one Windows PC and keep the Macs humming. We don't put anything critical on the XP system anyway, though it is up to date. It's just better not to take the chance.

You know, I keep hearing that "Your day will come" speech to Mac users, but the day hasn't dawned since Macs converted to OS X. There may be some truth to the "security through obscurity" mantra I keep hearing, but it's a pretty thin rationalization. The fact is there are plenty of folks who have tried, if for no other reason than to shut Mac users up, yet except for proof of concept BS, contests that create unreasonable cheats, or stupid users loading Trojan Horses, nothing much comes from it.

I keep Virus Barrier on my MacBook Pro, but it's never found anything. Ever. As in Never. Still, I'll run it tonight just to be sure. If it finds something, I'll be sure to let you know.

Good luck to all. I expect another dud, like Y2K.

Allanvh5150
03-31-2009, 08:44 PM
I recall someone saying sometime in 1999 that the world was going to go mental at midnight on new years eve and that the Russians were going to invade sometime in the '50's. How many people paid attention to that?:D

boputnam
03-31-2009, 08:45 PM
We'll disconnect our one Windows PC ...I'm agnostic on that. From what I understand you either got it or you don't. Nothing can be released and forced onto your PC - you have to admit it, either unwittingly (click on an unknown Link) or sloppily (no firewall, virus, etc).

Hell, maybe you'll all get lucky, and my PC's will get wiped out! See ya... :wave:

MikeBrewster77
03-31-2009, 09:15 PM
This is about a "no-win" debate as vinyl vs. CD. Of course everyone has their preferences, but this thread started out with a simple, well-intentioned warning for PC users on how to protect themselves from the "latest and greatest" Windows O/S threat. For that, those that are less technically inclined should be thankful, and the remainder of us should likely keep our preferred O/S opinions to ourselves.

Are attacks far more targeted towards Windows vs. Mac's? Of course - would you rather take down approximately 10% of individual users, or 90% of personal users and entire corporations who almost exclusively run Windows software. Personally, if I was a hacker, I think I'd go for the highest yield. So, while there may have been a few lukewarm attempts at attacking Mac's O/S, they wouldn't generate nearly the publicity (as clearly evidenced by this thread and the press) as an attack on the far larger Windows personal and enterprise population.

The point is, whatever your platform and whatever software you run, use top notch security software to avoid these types of issues, and then perhaps we can all use our computers for the enjoyment and productivity for which they were intended. :) And then we can all "just get along."

Best,
- Mike

Allanvh5150
03-31-2009, 10:36 PM
And the fact that it has been April 1 here for 18 and a half hours and there is no word of Conficker........:applaud:

MikeBrewster77
03-31-2009, 10:40 PM
And to quote Elton John, "I'm still standing" ;)

And the fact that it has been April 1 here for 18 and a half hours and there is no word of Conficker........:applaud:

jcrobso
04-01-2009, 07:36 AM
We'll disconnect our one Windows PC and keep the Macs humming. We don't put anything critical on the XP system anyway, though it is up to date. It's just better not to take the chance.

You know, I keep hearing that "Your day will come" speech to Mac users, but the day hasn't dawned since Macs converted to OS X. There may be some truth to the "security through obscurity" mantra I keep hearing, but it's a pretty thin rationalization. The fact is there are plenty of folks who have tried, if for no other reason than to shut Mac users up, yet except for proof of concept BS, contests that create unreasonable cheats, or stupid users loading Trojan Horses, nothing much comes from it.

I keep Virus Barrier on my MacBook Pro, but it's never found anything. Ever. As in Never. Still, I'll run it tonight just to be sure. If it finds something, I'll be sure to let you know.

Good luck to all. I expect another dud, like Y2K.

MAC OS does NOT have these, this is why they don't get attacked.
70% of my job at the radio station is IT related! So make sure you have the most current service pack installed and ALL of the updates! Anti-virus is current and spy ware is current. Sit back and relax until the next big threat, yes the MAC people will laugh! John

4313B
04-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Are attacks far more targeted towards Windows vs. Mac's? Of course - would you rather take down approximately 10% of individual users, or 90% of personal users and entire corporations who almost exclusively run Windows software. Personally, if I was a hacker, I think I'd go for the highest yield.Yep.

yes the MAC people will laugh!What are they laughing at? Their cozy little cage? My personal opinion is that 90% of the population should be required by law to use a MAC. They have virtually no business whatsoever anywhere near a Windows box that isn't running something like Deep Feeze. And they should never be given admin rights. Ever.

The fundamental problem with Windows is that people can't effing behave.

jcrobso
04-01-2009, 08:31 AM
I will admit that Widows is job security for me!
IBM had OS2 it was closer to the MAC OS in security, M$ spent millions of $ on FUD to discredit IBM's OS2. It's nice to see how Apple is giving it to M$ over Windows.:applaud:John

hjames
04-01-2009, 08:34 AM
The fundamental problem with home computers is the average use is too stupid to be a sys admin, yet that's what Windows lets them be!
And they are too cheap to pay competent people to manage their box for them.

Like G says, they shouldn't be allowed to have a win box, or at least shouldn't be allowed Network access!

I'm not laughing at them, I just wish they were better managed ...
Its was better when they were only allowed on the AOL sandbox ...

Yep.
What are they laughing at? Their cozy little cage? My personal opinion is that 90% of the population should be required by law to use a MAC. They have virtually no business whatsoever anywhere near a Windows box that isn't running something like Deep Feeze. And they should never be given admin rights. Ever.

The fundamental problem with Windows is that people can't effing behave.

4313B
04-01-2009, 08:35 AM
I will admit that Widows is job security for me!Yep.

And hackers have spawned a whole industry to keep people employed. The whole mess keeps a whole lot of people off the streets. :rotfl:

It was better when they were only allowed on the AOL sandbox ...:rotfl: :applaud:

Hoerninger
04-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Its was better when they were only allowed on the AOL sandbox ...
:rotfl::rotfl:
The years have taught me not to use W$ - more time, more wellbeing.
But the problems often lie between the ears of the user.
:yes:

jcrobso
04-01-2009, 09:17 AM
:rotfl::rotfl:
The years have taught me not to use W$ - more time, more wellbeing.
But the problems often lie between the ears of the user.
:yes:

I have been working PCs for 22 years and thars gold in them windows.
MAC users are missing so much, like BOSD(Blue screen of death) and what fun they are NOT! But that's how I my money to buy JBLs;) John

hjames
04-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Sure - I use PCs at work, plus Win and Unix servers here, but at home, I don't want to waste my personal time fussing with Windows. I don't miss the annual fresh install to keep it at optimum performance, the calls to bangalore or whereveah to reauthorize my XP or VISTA install when it thinks something changed.

I've got Windows running under VMware on my mac -
its there for the few times I might want it, but - its contained!

We have SYS Admins and Helpdesk at work to do all that fun ...
I just manage content - much more fun, much less worries!

I have been working PCs for 22 years and thars gold in them windows.
MAC users are missing so much, like BOSD(Blue screen of death) and what fun they are NOT! But that's how I my money to buy JBLs;) John

Hoerninger
04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I've got Windows running under VMware on my mac -

Heather has a virtual AOL sandbox!

MikeBrewster77
04-01-2009, 10:00 AM
MAC OS does NOT have these, this is why they don't get attacked.

I'm not sure what you are referencing when you say that Mac OS does not have "these" but to suggest that there are not vulnerabilities, or that trojan horses et. al., have not been designed to target Mac is simply not the case:

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/96/

http://www.macworld.com/article/60819/2007/10/trojan.html

That being said, I think this thread has devolved into a proverbial pissing contest regarding O/S's that is rather pointless, and I highly doubt anyone's preferences will be changed by this discussion. :banghead:

Enjoy what you have, keep it safe, and everyone's happy ;)

Best,
- Mike

hjames
04-01-2009, 01:35 PM
That being said, I think this thread has devolved into a proverbial pissing contest regarding O/S's that is rather pointless, and I highly doubt anyone's preferences will be changed by this discussion. :banghead:

Best,
- Mike

Actually, folks led it down that path with many of their comments

First post was FEAR - "The internet will EAT YOU, run - unplug your computer and hide it away until the 2nd.

Bo had some helpful comments about software updates and such

You thoughtfully commented on a good firewall.

My initial comment was - see if you can get to the macafee or Symantec site as a recommended by other experts, and if you can't get there you may have a problem.
Then I made a final comment of "Or get a Mac ..."

It wasn't the start of my post, it wasn't the significant part of my post, it was, how you say, a parting shot, and not even a big one ...

After that it was like Roger Rabbit "They can't resist because they're toons, er, trolls, er ..."

From there it predictably ran downhill ... with all all the rich variety of an old outhouse, as poor Bull Lee used to say

Hoerninger
04-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I think this thread has devolved into a proverbial pissing contest regarding O/S's that is rather pointless,

Why so grouchy /grumpy? The threat started with a hint for windows, o.k. For a discussion going into deep this is presumably the wrong forum.

and I highly doubt anyone's preferences will be changed by this discussion. :banghead:
I do not think this was anyones intention.
And it is good to read between the lines even it seems to be comedic, here is no working session.
When I refer to Heathers "AOL sandbox" there lies a good approach inside:

When running Windows in VMware you have always a new start. You have a saved and secured version of Windows on HD. What will be infected can be completely deleted after your working session. This is a very consequent solution for a reliable work.

boputnam
04-01-2009, 02:56 PM
OK, so anyone have any problems so far today?
Know of anyone who has, related to this?

Maybe the whole thing was one big April Fool. That be nice, but I think not...

(edit)

I had another thought. Maybe it was a ploy by the vendors of Malware and such to spike their sales into 2q2009!! :rotfl:

Hoerninger
04-01-2009, 03:12 PM
All going smoothly. :thmbsup:

MikeBrewster77
04-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Why so grouchy /grumpy?

Sorry if I seemed grumpy/grouchy/cranky et. al., - I just saw the thread going in the direction of "which O/S is better," and that seemed counterproductive to me, and out of line with the OP. Certainly not my intent to come off as an a$$ :o:

OK, so anyone have any problems so far today?
Know of anyone who has, related to this?

Not a one, thankfully. Joke's on us from what I can tell thus far (and happily so) ;)

Doc Mark
04-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey, Mike,

I have to admit being more than a little surprised by you feeling that this thread degenerated, at all. Here I was reading along, and enjoying the good-natured ribbing that was going back and forth, and until you made a comment about things going South, I must truthfully say, I didn't think it went anywhere like that. Just some friends, talking about their different OS. I have Macs because I love them. I have NO problem with someone wanting to have, or use, a PC. Why not? It's a free Country, and each to his/her own, right?! I thought the "ad" about PC's and Macs was hilarious, and I'd love a copy of it!!!! Where can I get that, please? Again, I didn't see any problem developing, and I'm sorry that you did. I certainly hope my own pro-Mac comments did not help fuel the fire. I believe that such discussions should never be meant to try and sway anyone from their personal choice, in anything. Sweet Bride and I love our Macs; we love our L300's; I am quickly falling in love with our new 4645/2242H combination subwoofer, and after listening to it tonight for the first time, I think she is, too; Sweet Bride and I love to shoot firearms; we both love to eat fine food, and to enjoy a fine glass of wine, or two, with our meal; we love lots of things that might, or might not, be attractive, or enjoyable to others. That matters not. As long as we love them, that's just fine. Everyone else can love whatever they choose to love. Sounds pretty simple to me. What do ya' think, Lad?!! Am I on the right track, or have I just lost my last remaining cell of grey matter???!! ;);):blink::blink::bouncy::bouncy:

Not to worry, enjoy your PC, and I'll enjoy my Mac, and we'll enjoy LH, and all the wonderful JBL-ista Friends we have her, together!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Zilch
04-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Seems like the Conflicter Worm has struck this thread.

Which is better, JBL or Altec?

[Kiss me.... ;) ]

Titanium Dome
04-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Seems like the Conflicter Worm has struck this thread.

Which is better, JBL or Altec?

[Kiss me.... ;) ]

We concluded several years back it was Edirol, remember?

MikeBrewster77
04-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Hey Doc,

Clearly, it was me that took things out of context, as has been respectfully pointed out. I wholeheartedly agree with everyone being entitled to their own opinions, and free to love and enjoy whatever they like (within the limits of the law, of course ;))

So, as the kids these days say, "my bad." :(

Truth be told, I'm O/S agnostic as I don't have broad enough experience with Mac's to comment one way or the other. I do, however, think Windows frequently gets a bad rap; correspondingly, I don't think it's a result of inferiority in their products, rather inferiority in people's ability to use and maintain them.

P.S., I honestly don't recall where I originally stumbled across the mock ad I posted. I had it stored on my hard drive, but I did a quick Google search and found it here:

http://www.catscanman.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/i-am-a-pc-and-i-am-armed.jpg

Best,
- Mike

Hey, Mike,

I have to admit being more than a little surprised by you feeling that this thread degenerated, at all. Here I was reading along, and enjoying the good-natured ribbing that was going back and forth, and until you made a comment about things going South, I must truthfully say, I didn't think it went anywhere like that. Just some friends, talking about their different OS. I have Macs because I love them. I have NO problem with someone wanting to have, or use, a PC. Why not? It's a free Country, and each to his/her own, right?! I thought the "ad" about PC's and Macs was hilarious, and I'd love a copy of it!!!! Where can I get that, please? Again, I didn't see any problem developing, and I'm sorry that you did. I certainly hope my own pro-Mac comments did not help fuel the fire. I believe that such discussions should never be meant to try and sway anyone from their personal choice, in anything. Sweet Bride and I love our Macs; we love our L300's; I am quickly falling in love with our new 4645/2242H combination subwoofer, and after listening to it tonight for the first time, I think she is, too; Sweet Bride and I love to shoot firearms; we both love to eat fine food, and to enjoy a fine glass of wine, or two, with our meal; we love lots of things that might, or might not, be attractive, or enjoyable to others. That matters not. As long as we love them, that's just fine. Everyone else can love whatever they choose to love. Sounds pretty simple to me. What do ya' think, Lad?!! Am I on the right track, or have I just lost my last remaining cell of grey matter???!! ;);):blink::blink::bouncy::bouncy:

Not to worry, enjoy your PC, and I'll enjoy my Mac, and we'll enjoy LH, and all the wonderful JBL-ista Friends we have her, together!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark
04-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Hey, Mike,

Cool! Thanks, very much, for the link to that neat mock ad! I've saved it and will send it to a few friends whom I know will appreciate it. Talk to you later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

hjames
04-03-2009, 04:21 AM
Here is a very cool way to check your machine -
they call it the Conficker Eye chart:

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

There are 3 images at the top that load from common anti-virus sites.
if you don't see the images, you may have conficker

Note: you may have images turned off in your browser if ALL images are missing.

Legend is at the bottom of their page.
Its all self explanatory and a real easy test.

Mr. Widget
04-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Here is a very cool way to check your machine -
they call it the Conficker Eye chart:

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

There are 3 images at the top that load from common anti-virus sites.
if you don't see the images, you may have conficker

Note: you may have images turned off in your browser if ALL images are missing.

Legend is at the bottom of their page.
Its all self explanatory and a real easy test.That is very cool... I suppose the top images are links to the various anti-virus company's sites. Clever.

I have used Trend Micro on my Windows PCs for years now and highly recommend them. Far more secure than Mcafee or Norton.

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
04-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Just a warning that there is a significant increase in internet threats given the global credit crisis.

As a result of a recent event I have disabled my own ISP (in the Tardis) and will now only access public domain internet via a remote server.

Be particularly with internet Banking (fake web pages) and web sites offering services like job searches where you might be asked to provide certain information or downloads of any kind.

Be also careful about what hard copy information you throw out in the rubbish. Shred everything.

Bank Eftpos/credit card skimming has also increased significantly with major losses being reported.

Do not let your credit card out of your sight and be cautious about using ATM machines you are not familiar with.

MikeBrewster77
04-09-2009, 12:39 PM
so we can begin beating it to death all over again ;):

Substantial conficker activity noted yesterday:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10215678-83.html?tag=mncol;txt

For a more comprehensive overview, or if you're just really bored and want to whip yourself into a state of paranoia :blink:, visit here:
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2009/01/22/centralized-information-about-the-conficker-worm.aspx

All the other advice previously offered remains valid in terms of protection and testing for infection (this is starting to sound like a public saftey announcement for safe ... well, nevermind.)

Best,
- Mike

Titanium Dome
04-09-2009, 07:33 PM
(this is starting to sound like a public saftey announcement for safe ... well, nevermind.)

Sex? Well, you can never have too much safe sex, and you can never have too little unsafe sex.

Unless of course the former approaches infinity :smsex:

and the latter is absolute zero. :scold:

MikeBrewster77
04-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Sex??? I was talking about safe computing of course ... how dare you insinuate that such vile thoughts cross my pristine mind? ;)

That being said, I'm a very strong proponent of safe sex:

Sex? Well, you can never have too much safe sex, and you can never have too little unsafe sex.

Unless of course the former approaches infinity :smsex:

and the latter is absolute zero. :scold:

Hoerninger
04-18-2009, 12:38 AM
The new iBotnet (http://www.virusbtn.com/virusbulletin/archive/2009/04/vb200904-ibotnet) http://www.virusbtn.com/images/s.jpg
http://www.virusbtn.com/index

Mario Ballano Barcena and Alfredo Pesoli take a detailed look at what appears to be the first real attempt to create a Mac botnet.Blog:
http://notahat.com/posts/28/

hjames
04-18-2009, 05:14 AM
The new iBotnet (http://www.virusbtn.com/virusbulletin/archive/2009/04/vb200904-ibotnet) http://www.virusbtn.com/images/s.jpg
http://www.virusbtn.com/index
Blog:
http://notahat.com/posts/28/

Thanks for the info, Peter!

The significant part of the story is that the author downloaded a copy of some commercial software (iWork09 - sells for $80!) off a fileshare network, installed it onto his system, typed in his password to approve the install, and later found that it was software that had been hacked with a trojan before he got it.
He knowingly installed stolen software.

Thats a lot different level of vulnerability than some of the trojans and malware for Win systems,
where just going to a hostile website is enough to get you infected.

So, by trying to save $80 ... he got to wipe everything, reformat his system and reinstall EVERYTHING!

Its almost poetic - its his Karma, right?

Hoerninger
04-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Its almost poetic - its his Karma, right?
Heather,

lovely comment!

4313B
05-07-2009, 06:24 PM
so we can begin beating it to death all over again ;):Ok! :bouncy:

I thought this was pretty funny.

hjames
05-07-2009, 06:43 PM
We can beat this horse all you like.

Last night I downloaded the Windows 7 release Client 1 32 bit (Demo) of the next version of windows, a legal file from Microsoft. This morning I burned the ISO file DVD to make a working, bootable install disc. Tonight I fired up VMWare Fusion, told it I wanted to create a new virtual Windows machine, gave it the Username, the password I wanted, and the Product Key coded that Microsoft had furnished me.

I had it start the install process, went downstairs to catch up on some TIVOed TV, and came back 2 hours later to find a complete, fresh install running in a "window" ready for me to login ... Looks interesting, it seems ready to do whatever I want Windows to do, yet I can suspend it and shut it down without restarting my Mac.

Its like Windows defanged ... darned, what's so wrong with that?

Oh yeah, I already have a virtual Win2000 install on the machine, probably ought to get a copy of VISTA and create a virtual machine of that, but - no urgency ...

:applaud:
The basic platform is just a new-in-march macMini Intel 2 gig core duo, 4 gig ram - like $700 for the system ... included OS and upgrades.
vMware was another $80 ... Whatever copy of Windows you want to run is the usual price ...

BMWCCA
05-07-2009, 08:06 PM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/reviews/4258725.html
This comparison is a year old but, for all I know, probably impartial. It was just a quick Google result. I don't really care. I've been a Mac user since the third one showed up in my town over twenty-years ago. Nothing's really gonna change my mind.

But, just for the record, this is more like a Mac; it does nearly everything well. ;) :

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=82759&d=1223411914

After spending countless miles on the new K1300S, I must say, I do like the machine far better than the 1200. I like it cruising along at 140mph through fast sweepers while covering great distances in a short amount of time. No doubt this is a good motorcycle. The question is: How well does it fit in the United States market? Some serious personal restraint will be needed - if you want to keep you driver’s license, that is.

midlife
05-09-2009, 09:41 AM
BMWCCA, You're a bike guy. I have had more than my share; 750-ohc Hondas, Ducati 996SB, Busas, BSAs, etc. Kinda partial to the boxer twins in the Beemer lineup. Ride a Harley softail presently, the late model HDs perform quite well and don't seem to have any noticeable issues.:D

terry31
05-31-2009, 12:34 AM
Just a warning that there is a significant increase in internet threats given the global credit crisis.

As a result of a recent event I have disabled my own ISP (in the Tardis) and will now only access public domain internet via a remote server.

Be particularly with internet Banking (fake web pages) and web sites offering services like job searches where you might be asked to provide certain information or downloads of any kind.

Be also careful about what hard copy information you throw out in the rubbish. Shred everything.

Bank Eftpos/credit card skimming has also increased significantly with major losses being reported.

Do not let your credit card out of your sight and be cautious about using ATM machines you are not familiar with.

Alternative energy sources are, I think,
and there is that direction which will deduce the world from crisis.
The epoch of oil and gas monopolies will end.

boputnam
05-31-2009, 03:05 AM
The epoch of oil and gas ... will end.

Dunno if you're real or not, but the syntax of most of your post was confused (and the Links in your signature appear to be full of contagion! :scold:). However, the above is a possibility, but typically, when industrial "ages" end, it is because something emerged which mooted the prior bastion of civilization. Heretofore, we got nothing to supplant hydrocarbons. Work continues, but frankly the cost of consumption (NB: not the environmental cost of use) is too damned low. Until they are priced higher and sustained there, we will cyclically revert to them, time-and-time again. We are making a mess of this place.

4313B
05-31-2009, 06:05 AM
We are making a mess of this place.Yeah but "this place" is up to the challenge of getting rid of species that can't co-exist with it.

Here's a bit of Sunday morning reading:

Report: Climate change crisis 'catastrophic' - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/05/29/annan.climate.change.human/index.html)

THE PACIFIC VORTEX – GARBAGE MERRY-GO-ROUND « Berry Street Beacon (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://berrystreetbeacon.wordpress.com/2008/01/24/the-pacific-vortex-garbage-merry-go-round/&ei=m4IiSua8IYvAMpi90b0J&sa=X&oi=spellmeleon_result&resnum=2&ct=result&usg=AFQjCNEHRJ7HjQKVMTSnGLdjpqnK8UWp6g)

Dunno if you're real or not, but the syntax of most of your post was confused (and the Links in your signature appear to be full of contagion! :scold:).Hopefully you just banned him. He's probably a previous ban anyway.

richluvsound
05-31-2009, 06:52 AM
Folks !

Having a Mac only ISP is great. Everything is blocked at the server and scanned before it gets to me . Sure its more expensive, but at
least I don't wake up to 100 viagra deals and UPVC glazing promotions. In fact the biggest PITA is Apple. I get more junk from them than anyone else.

Like Heather, I also use a virtual PC with Vista. I only used it to run the DEQX. I would like to use AutoCad at some point in the future. I have just started a CAD training course so it will be a while before I need to worry too much. I will probably need to get a Power Mac.

I run creative suite all the time - images and Music ( wav & lossless) need a tons of memory,both ram and hard drive.

Rich