PDA

View Full Version : Urei's too loud for the wife.....headphones?

UreiCollector
03-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Has anyone made the jump to headphones to keep the wifey at bay? Any ideas, experience, etc? I'm thinking about a set of Sennheisers.....the wrath of Mein Fuhrer is getting a little intolerable......

BMWCCA
03-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Has anyone made the jump to headphones to keep the wifey at bay? Any ideas, experience, etc? I'm thinking about a set of Sennheisers.....the wrath of Mein Fuhrer is getting a little intolerable......
Well, I have a pair of Sennheiser SD 280 Pros, just for that reason, but I try not to use them too often. They "list" for $199 but I recall paying around $79 for them, shipped. I find they work very well and they're comfortable on my fat head. Many "cans" sites have pro and con opinions on these. Some fault their week bass. I like 'em just fine, especially for the money. I realize some here may be into the $2,000 cans, but not me.
http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/images/catalog/HD280Pro_normal.jpg

When I help a friend with sound jobs including live 16-track recording, we use Sony MDRV 700DJs which are a bit hotter than the Sennheiser and very comfortable. The list for about $150 and normally sell for about $90.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VNHW671PL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

MikeBrewster77
03-29-2009, 07:27 PM
I've not, though I've offered generous compromises such as purchasing ear plugs or suggesting it's a pleasant evening for my other half to spend on the deck. Granted, my approach has likely had an impact on other "hobbies" I enjoy; apparently loud music does indeed induce prohibitive headaches. :(

UreiCollector
03-29-2009, 07:38 PM
....which are a bit hotter than the Sennheiser ....

A slightly relaxed HF response actually strikes me as a plus.....given that the urei's roll off in the high end anyhow......

in an "ideal" world (one where i still need headphones that is), i would strap the urei's to my head, but my neck would surely buckle under the weight......

Mr. Widget
03-29-2009, 09:37 PM
I use Sennheiser HD-600 headphones... they have a surprisingly strong bottom end and sound pretty good. Except for the '80s faux granite speckled finish (I have no idea what they were thinking) they look well made and have proved to be so. They are not the same as listening to a well set up system though. I use them primarily as my computer "speakers"... they are certainly better than anything in that category. For real listening though, there is simply no substitute for moving air.

Widget

UreiCollector
03-31-2009, 06:53 AM
Thank you Mr Widget! They looked reasonable from a price standpoint......the 650's are almost twice the price, and I'm not sure I could justify it. Thanks for the feedback....now I must toil my options.....

Robh3606
03-31-2009, 07:18 AM
Have you looked at any of the in ear headphones?? They can sound damn good without the weight and straps of standard headphones.

Rob:)

UreiCollector
03-31-2009, 07:32 AM
Have you looked at any of the in ear headphones?? They can sound damn good without the weight and straps of standard headphones.

Rob:)

I have never really been happy with the comfort of an in ear personally.