PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD Rack - Ingenious use of wasted space

UreiCollector
03-23-2009, 08:17 AM
I was running out of space for DVD/CD/BluRay collection, and thought 'what can I do to reclaim some useless space in the process?' I decided to build the cabinet inside the equipment room of my theater......for access to the back of the equipment rack, i just unlatch and swing the cabinet back, it's on hinges, and acts just like a door.

(sorry for the low quality photos, but it get's the idea across)

Fred Sanford
03-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Smart, and nicely done!

je

UreiCollector
03-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Smart, and nicely done!

je

Thank you sir!

Fred Sanford
03-24-2009, 03:44 AM
We had to get creative like this all the time with installations in Manhattan, where no space goes unused due to the price of a postage stamp's worth of real estate. If you're lucky enough to claim an empty chamber with an architect before an engineer puts a duct or pipe into it, it's a major score. Rich folks love curved walls, too, so those "oval" rooms would often buy us small voids similar to what you've shown. I wish I'd bothered to take pics of some of the things we crammed into tiny pockets.

Once you've done it, you always look around for those wasted spaces, and want to take advantage of them. Yours looks to be elegant and effective, that's all you really could ask for. :applaud:

je