PDA

View Full Version : Range of human hearing?

robertbartsch
03-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Well, I thought the range for humanoids was about 20hz to 14khz?

Is that correct?

What about older humans; can they here beyond 12Khz?

MikeBrewster77
03-17-2009, 02:09 PM
I've heard (hahahaha - bad pun) this question a lot, and always with varying answers. A quick Google search turned up this page which seems to support that (given the bibliographical entries from known sources) even the experts can't agree: http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/ChrisDAmbrose.shtml (http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/ChrisDAmbrose.shtml)

Additionally, an individual's range is clearly impacted by genetics, age, gender, prolonged exposure to JBL speakers, and a whole host of other variables.

In short, it's kind of like your FICO score - some say the range is 350-850, some say the upper limit is 900, others say 800 ... who knows? The point is that unless you're a dog or a millionaire respectively, chances are the upper limits probably aren't as important as the level of attention we give them might suggest. ;)

- Mike

Is that correct?

Hoerninger
03-17-2009, 02:38 PM
... to 14khz? Is that correct?

Youngster regularly get nerved by the line output transformer of a CRT TV set, 15625 Hz in Germany. Tests with a tone generator have shown that youngsters can go far beyond.

In a mixed signal elderly men can recognize frequencies beyond their hearing limit.

Allanvh5150
03-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Newborns can apparently hear all the way up to 22Khz and down to 20Hz. I can still hear up to 18Khz and as a rule of thumb you can knock 1000hz off the top every 10 years unless you are damaging your hearing in some way. Which makes me ask myself wy speaker builders keep building systems that go well past 20Khz.

Allan.

JBL 4645
03-17-2009, 06:55 PM

Is that correct?

I get ticked off when someone hassles, me about my spelling abilities. No pun mate intended.

Here? Don’t you mean (hear) :D or listening, frequency auditory range that tends to vary with most of us.

I’d some I’m up to about an easy below 10 KHz range (at best 8 KHz to 9 KHz) there the easiest tones to hear and I’d say the most common high frequency tones whether its on the recorded medium or real life sounds around the home or around the streets.;)

Newborns can apparently hear all the way up to 22Khz and down to 20Hz. I can still hear up to 18Khz and as a rule of thumb you can knock 1000hz off the top every 10 years unless you are damaging your hearing in some way. Which makes me ask myself wy speaker builders keep building systems that go well past 20Khz.

Unless their entertaining cats and bats flying overhead?:D

Yeah that doesn’t make any sense to me, or does this give greater frequency headroom in the tones that we are capable of hearing, or make it easy for the high frequency element to breath easily on the eclectically/mechanical side?

Also this topic has been disgusted somewhere before not sure of the thread title, but for most of was testing out our own auditory frequency response/range with some free download or…I think there’s a sight that has software where we simply place the headphones on, closed ones mind you, and play each tone raising the level until we can hear it at the minimum softest level for lows mids and highs.

I’ll have to do search because some of us posted the frequency graphs, I know I did.

JBL 4645
03-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Bingo frond one such program that I’ve used in the past had to type in several keywords to find it mind you.

Try this out guys and see how well you’re range is no cheating now. LOL

Equal loudness contours and audiometry - Test your own hearing
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html (http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html)

I need to fix or re-solder the lead on my pair of Sennheiser EH2200 I’ll fix them sometime later today and test out my auditory.

Anyway got to take bath now, the neighbour who was quite friendly smokes fags and I stick all-over, whew!:barf:

JBL 4645
03-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Youngster regularly get nerved by the line output transformer of a CRT TV set, 15625 Hz in Germany. Tests with a tone generator have shown that youngsters can go far beyond.

In a mixed signal elderly men can recognize frequencies beyond their hearing limit.

Well now that I’m free from smelling like walking talking fag not that I’m gay, :D cigarettes stink! :barf:

I was thinking around the terms of EQ not EQ as in speakers for flattest possible top end, but what happens if you have other electrical equipment turned on in the room like a CRT TV? The microphone tends to pick this up on the RTA well above 10 KHz. This could lead to inaccurate EQ frequency response? Just a thought mind you and also lead to believe that your hearing isn’t as great because you had to make some rather harsh cuts at the top of the spectrum.

So switch of the TV or anything that might be intruding on the EQ.;)

BMWCCA
03-17-2009, 10:02 PM
FWIW: In setting up the 4345s I borrowed a Neutrik MR1 to generate tones for a sweep. I'm 56-years-old and have ridden motorcycles for over 35-years, only the last twenty with ear-plugs. I've enjoyed loud music, loud concerts, and playing my system way too loud. I can barely make out the 12.5kHz changeover from 10kHz but my wife is good to 16kHz and my fourteen-year-old daughter can go beyond that. :(

jcrobso
03-18-2009, 08:07 AM
FWIW: In setting up the 4345s I borrowed a Neutrik MR1 to generate tones for a sweep. I'm 56-years-old and have ridden motorcycles for over 35-years, only the last twenty with ear-plugs. I've enjoyed loud music, loud concerts, and playing my system way too loud. I can barely make out the 12.5kHz changeover from 10kHz but my wife is good to 16kHz and my fourteen-year-old daughter can go beyond that. :(

Or when I'm 64:blink:.
When I was a young boy I could hear dog whistles(20khz+) at close range. but time has taken me down to 14khz.:( John

ratitifb
03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2005/305_hear.html

robertbartsch
03-18-2009, 10:44 AM
I heard (no pun) that once your hearing is damaged it can not be repaired.

I used to listen to very loud concerts and recorded music in the 1970s but I have refrained since then. I am sure my hearing took a hit during then but, over time, it seems very good these days.

Anyway, in tinkering around with xovers, 075s, 077s and other compresssion drivers like 2425, 2426 recently, I have noticed great differences in UHF output from various sources.

Considering my age (53) and hearing damage of several decades ago, this surprises me, however.

toddalin
03-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Anyway, in tinkering around with xovers, 075s, 077s and other compresssion drivers like 2425, 2426 recently, I have noticed great differences in UHF output from various sources.

Considering my age (53) and hearing damage of several decades ago, this surprises me, however.

Really should be no suprise.

Even if you can't hear past 14kHz, you can certainly hear the peaks and dips below that frequency.

Furthermore, if theoretically a speaker is speced out to, say 16.5 kHz, that is at some "-" level (e.g., -10 dB) and even at lower frequencies there is some roll off. So the higher the tweeter is speced, theoretically, it is flatter at the lower frequencies up to that point.