PDA

View Full Version : 604e guitar speaker!!?

beuoy
03-01-2009, 07:16 AM
At this moment I am sitting in my back room and a guitar player friend has brought over a guitar rig with a Altec cabnet. :blink:

I wanted to see what was inside so we looked and it is a 604e with a n1500a XO! He has a shitty little SS Marshall rack amp and thinks it sounds awesome. :banghead:

How much harm could be done and should I go out there and take it away from him and call him a morron?

Thanks,

louped garouv
03-02-2009, 03:54 PM
you should trade him for some celestions....
:)

Steve Schell
03-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Jim Lansing set Les Paul up with a 604 in the mid 1940s and Les still sings its praises. He said that it took him from being drowned out on stage to being able to blow everyone else away.

jeenie67
03-03-2009, 03:09 AM
Convince him that bigger is better...You really need fifteens ! So much more sonical myoplastible power can be had...make up anything! Oh, hey...a good friend is priceless......
I still have to redo my Altec 422-8z's and build some cabs....Shades of the old Acoustic 260 I once had......

Allanvh5150
03-04-2009, 02:53 AM
The Altec will be fine for a clean sound as will a JBL E/K120. I can't say that either speaker is world famous for a great sound. There are a few others that would be better suited depending on what tone he is after. My choices are as follows......Super clean/country JBL E120, all round clean and overdriven EVM12 and for all out overdriven you cant beat Celestion Vintage 30's. The Celestions are the peoples choice amongst the top guitarists, oh, and that is what I use as well.:D

Allan.

P.S. What self respecting guitarist would use a 15"?;)

jeenie67
03-04-2009, 03:10 AM
........10", 12", 15", 16", and 18". The more variance in speaker size, the more diversity of tonality can be achieved. While some may enjoy stacking similar multiple units of cabinetry, I go with the old school and utilize many different amps and speaker combination's.....it just floats my boat. Tanx !

jcrobso
03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
The guitar sonic characteristics speaker can be part of the over all sound.

In the Hi-Fi world we want the speaker to clean and accurate with out coloration.

In the guitar world it can be just the opposite the sound of the speaker,cone breakup, harmonic distortion,etc can be sought after factor.

In the 1960's the Beatles used Vox amps, the speakers had an asymmetrical magnetic field, because of this the speakers had a high order of 2nd harmonic distortion. The Beatles didn't like the cleaner sound of the D120F.

In guitar speakers there is no wright or wrong, but which speaker gives you the sound you want.
I'm not into tons of distortion and I like the cleaner sound of JBL speakers.
But if you like the "church" sound a Celestron would be a better choice. John

jeenie67
03-10-2009, 10:37 AM
....Well Said! I certainly agree! Indeed....I state in most all my replies...sound is in the ear of the beholder.

:nutz: