PDA

View Full Version : dvd players with sacd

dino
02-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Hello I have a post already-[ help good cd player]. my question now, is there a dvd player that plays sacd and sound as good as a single sacd player. I really dont know should I buy a single unit to play cd and a single dvd unit to wacth movies. and please keep in mind 400 to 800 dollars range:blink: thanks

grumpy
02-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Hmm... gets messy. Oppo DV-980H might save you a few bucks... and let
you ride the techno-wave on the cheap :)

hjames
02-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Hello I have a post already-[ help good cd player]. my question now, is there a dvd player that plays sacd and sound as good as a single sacd player. I really dont know should I buy a single unit to play cd and a single dvd unit to wacth movies. and please keep in mind 400 to 800 dollars range:blink: thanks

Have to say - go find an OPPO - they are not top of the line, but they are an exceptional value ...

All you have to do is decide your priority - is audio your top concern, or is it DVDs?

I got one of the DVD priority units an Oppo DV-981HD - 1080p Up-Converting DVD Player (HDMI) about a year ago on a closeout sale and I have to say I am impressed - VERY nice DVD performance , plus it does SACDs, DixV and a lot of other formats ...

I believe the DV-980H model has Audio as its high priority,but it still has HDMI and DVD capability - and it about $170 ... certainly worth a shot!

GTekie
02-28-2009, 03:56 PM
The Marantz VC6001 a 5 disc player does SACD and dvds, upscales nicely and has HDMI output. I bought one last month online from americansound.com new for $235.00 plus shipping and I'm quite happy with it. Its last years model on clearance. Here in Canada a dealer quoted me $750.00 (cdn). Worth a look at. I realy like loading 5 discs at a time.

dino
02-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Have to say - go find an OPPO - they are not top of the line, but they are an exceptional value ...

All you have to do is decide your priority - is audio your top concern, or is it DVDs?

I got one of the DVD priority units an Oppo DV-981HD - 1080p Up-Converting DVD Player (HDMI) about a year ago on a closeout sale and I have to say I am impressed - VERY nice DVD performance , plus it does SACDs, DixV and a lot of other formats ...

I believe the DV-980H model has Audio as its high priority,but it still has HDMI and DVD capability - and it about $170 ... certainly worth a shot! hello I spoke with oppo tech last friday and he told me mid or ending of march there new 983 blue ray dvd player will be release the ony thing hes not sure of yet is the price but he did say it would be between 550 to 600 hundred dollars.

dino
02-28-2009, 05:48 PM

I believe the DV-980H model has Audio as its high priority,but it still has HDMI and DVD capability - and it about $170 ... certainly worth a shot! audio is my 1st and main concern but I am just trying to see if I can kill to birds with one shot and save some money at the same time.

jeenie67
02-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Hola...Seems to be the general consensus here to check out an Oppo. I have the DV-980 and it does the sonic job with authority. I can't see all that well without my glasses so why buy a Super-Blitzo Turbo-Laser TV or spend $$$ on video chips that I'm unable to utilize. I don't like wearing glasses period! I also have a Marantz PMD 320 player in the rack for recording live music with mixed in CD's. The Oppo makes me happy! And CHEAP! :hmm:

rdgrimes
02-28-2009, 07:09 PM
With SACD players, it's best to approach from the knowledge of whether you want HDMI audio, (PCM or DSD), or multichannel analog audio or stereo analog. Having answered that question, you go find a player that handles that type output the best. The Oppo players have been criticized for the analog sections, but most people don't actually hear any problems. For HDMI audio, if your receiver processes DSD then it doesn't matter what player you use if it can send DSD over HDMI (some cannot). If you need the player to convert DSD to PCM for HDMI out, then that raises questions about the quality of that conversion. Again most people don't hear a difference but for the audio freak it's good to know about. The Oppo 980 covers all those bases, although the stereo analog out might be a bit weak.

The biggest benefit from the Oppo line is the high quality video for DVDs. The new BDP-83 blue-ray player will be top dog for DVD playback, a full-featured BD player and also handle SACD and DVD-A as well as a plethora of file types on USB and disc.

Used Oppo 980s can be had on fleabay for around $100. Used Oppo 983s run around $350 as it is a discontinued player.

dino
02-28-2009, 08:29 PM
With SACD players, it's best to approach from the knowledge of whether you want HDMI audio, (PCM or DSD), or multichannel analog audio or stereo analog. Having answered that question, you go find a player that handles that type output the best. The Oppo players have been criticized for the analog sections, but most people don't actually hear any problems. For HDMI audio, if your receiver processes DSD then it doesn't matter what player you use if it can send DSD over HDMI (some cannot). If you need the player to convert DSD to PCM for HDMI out, then that raises questions about the quality of that conversion. Again most people don't hear a difference but for the audio freak it's good to know about. The Oppo 980 covers all those bases, although the stereo analog out might be a bit weak.

The biggest benefit from the Oppo line is the high quality video for DVDs. The new BDP-83 blue-ray player will be top dog for DVD playback, a full-featured BD player and also handle SACD and DVD-A as well as a plethora of file types on USB and disc.

Used Oppo 980s can be had on fleabay for around $100. Used Oppo 983s run around $350 as it is a discontinued player. I think I will wait and try the new oppo 83 blue ray dvd player thanks for your input:applaud:

rdgrimes
02-28-2009, 09:13 PM
I think I will wait and try the new oppo 83 blue ray dvd player thanks for your input:applaud:
Excellent choice. I've been beta-testing the BDP-83 since last fall. It has screaming good image quality for DVDs on large screens. Impressive in every respect, it only lacks the capability for region-free hacking.

Here's an unofficial FAQ:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html

Here's a preliminary owner's manual:

http://www.oppodigital.com/Download/BDP83/BDP-83_English_Manual.pdf

Player should be officially released around April 1 but may be hard to find for a while.

TonyM
03-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I'll throw something different out there.

Sony DVP NS3100ES

The model is discontinued now but there seem to be a few still available on clearance, usually running around $250 from the original $700. It does a really good job on SACD and CD. It's video upconversion through HDMI is excellent. It is built like a tank and larger than most DVD players. It sounded and looked much better than a Denon universal player I used to have.

On the down side it's a bit slow to recognize discs, not insuferable just slow. SACD is not available through the HDMI output. It won't ever be able to play Blue Ray or DVD-A.

Still for $250 bucks you still get a solid player with a 5 year warranty.

I've been using the analog outputs on one to drive a second system made up of a NAD C372 and a pair of 4430s with a Mackie sub. I'm also using it to play DVDs into a Pioneer PDP-6020. I've been using this thing with different components for years.

Back to back with a dedicated SACD/CD player you'll know it's not the same but listened to by itself it will sound pretty good. I've yet to hear a DVD player with analog outputs that good. Too many compromises.

MikeBrewster77
03-03-2009, 10:01 AM
I'll throw in my $0.02 based upon my experience, and say that the Denon DVD-1920 does a very nice job with DVD's and SACD, as well as offering the different output options discussed in the thread.

It may be worth checking out based upon your needs:
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3560.asp

That being said, it appears from the page that my 18 month old model is dated, and the new model is: DVD-1940CI. Can't speak to the changes, though based on the specs, it seems that there's just a few upgrades but the overall platform remains the same...

speakerdave
03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
I can't recommend a specific model, but in general, I would try to find a reasonably priced dedicated SACD/CD player that maximizes the quality of the audio DACS and the audio analog output section, since the reason for getting SACD is the quality of the audio, and you cannot export SACD to an outboard DAC. But I would do that second.

First I would buy a Blu-ray player. That will also play DVD's and CD's. HDMI is not the essential point; get a Blu-ray player, since Blu-ray has become the defacto format for Hi Def video. It will have HDMI output. I recently bought the Pioneer Elite 05 BD player for video. It's audio output seems to be better than my play everything player from a few years ago. It was only about $600-800 (can't remember, exactly). It may be that improvement in DACs, etc, for mainstream players has improved so much that you would be happy with a player like that for awhile until you have saved the money for the SACD player you want.

Unless you have a player for SACD that is clean enough in the analog output section to pass along the SACD audio quality, you will be missing much of the benefit of that format. Play everything players, especially an inexpensive one, will probably not really do the job.

Mr. Widget
03-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Play everything players, especially an inexpensive one, will probably not really do the job.That is my feeling as well... some seem so enamored with price that actual performance is rather secondary. Personally I am still waiting to find an affordable SACD player or CD player that sounds half way decent. An excellent analog section is simply too expensive or elusive for most manufacturers.

I do have high hopes for this one though: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=242671&postcount=14

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
03-04-2009, 07:40 PM
The new TOTL Hi end Pioneer Blue Ray Player might be worth a look...not cheap though:).

dino
03-06-2009, 07:15 AM
That is my feeling as well... some seem so enamored with price that actual performance is rather secondary. Personally I am still waiting to find an affordable SACD player or CD player that sounds half way decent. An excellent analog section is simply too expensive or elusive for most manufacturers.

I do have high hopes for this one though: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=242671&postcount=14

Widgetwell that is all I want an affordable dvd player with a good analog cd section that sound damm good to your ears not good on paper.I just might go back to the old faithful turntable I think they sound better than cd any day. It is funny to me how time goes on u would think technology will be more advance:blink: and sound better but this not the case. Is there a market for what we need or want or is there a market for what they want to control and sell to us.

Mr. Widget
03-06-2009, 09:45 AM
I just might go back to the old faithful turntable I think they sound better than cd any day.While I certainly agree with you, it is interesting to note that this feeling isn't universal. There are people who genuinely prefer the CD sound. I suppose this could be a contributing factor in the lack of improvement. As a manufacturer why spend $1000 or more on the analog section of a CD player when a large chunk of the market is satisfied with the flattened sound of cheap chips? Beyond that, bringing the sound closer to a three dimensional analog sound might put some people off.

Widget

4313B
03-06-2009, 09:52 AM
While I certainly agree with you, it is interesting to note that this feeling isn't universal. There are people who genuinely prefer the CD sound.I'm not sure it even goes that deep. I think it is primarily a convenience issue. These days even CD's are a completely rediculous waste of resources. Everything should be on hard disks or flash drives. Bulky vinyl with the attendant care required is absurd to all but a few.

Beyond that, bringing the sound closer to a three dimensional analog sound might put some people off.People genuinely prefer live venues to expensive toys in homes. Most people are aware that it takes enormous sums of money and resources to even remotely approximate what they can get by going to a live venue so why bother. iPod's and live music...

Mr. Widget
03-06-2009, 10:07 AM
iPod's and live music...I've been building an iTunes library of lossless redbook recordings and intend to pick up a Wadia doc so that the data can be fed to a proper DAC. Nothing inherently wrong with hard drives or digital, it is the extraction of said data that is the problem.

Live music... it has it's issues too. U2 at a large stadium, no thanks. I don't care for the cluttered ear bleed sound you'll get there, on the other hand there are a number of local venues who occasionally will get a band and FOH dude with the skills to make the room come alive... and of course we have MTT at Davies Symphony Hall which is rather spectacular if you can get good seats... not very easy to do as others seem to have discovered this too. :D

Widget

4313B
03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I've been building an iTunes library of lossless redbook recordings and intend to pick up a Wadia doc so that the data can be fed to a proper DAC. Nothing inherently wrong with hard drives or digital, it is the extraction of said data that is the problem.Yeah but everything is moving that way. I'm not sure I like the idea of not being able to go to the local library anymore to check out a bound book. Honestly though, with populations ever on the rise it only makes sense to go completely digital.
Live music... it has it's issues too. U2 at a large stadium, no thanks.Agreed.

Right now I'm just using a cheap little DVD-47 that sat in a box for a year before I bothered to hook it up. A DVD-48 just arrived a few weeks ago and maybe I'll hook it up this summer. :rotfl: I have a bunch of SACD's and DVD's that I have never opened that I'd eventually like to listen to.

dino
03-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah but everything is moving that way. I'm not sure I like the idea of not being able to go to the local library anymore to check out a bound book. Honestly though, with populations ever on the rise it only makes sense to go completely digital.Agreed.

Right now I'm just using a cheap little DVD-47 that sat in a box for a year before I bothered to hook it up. A DVD-48 just arrived a few weeks ago and maybe I'll hook it up this summer. :rotfl: I have a bunch of SACD's and DVD's that I have never opened that I'd eventually like to listen to. well my hk-47 should be here today later on I will hook it up to hear what it sound like. some time I can get fustrated with audio cd players whats available and what is not available-[ options ] any way all or most of our music are on cds. I want to get the best sound I can get from my jbl speakers with out spending the amount of money on a cd player as i spent on my jbl speakers.

SEAWOLF97
03-06-2009, 06:29 PM
this flyer just came today,,mebbe not a bad deal ?

Freq. Response (Digital Audio): 4 Hz - 88 kHz (DVD-Audio, fs: 192 kHz)
S/N Ratio: 110 dB
Dynamic Range: 100 dB
THD (1 kHz): 0.003%

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73851

dino
03-07-2009, 06:53 PM
WhooooooWeeeeeeeeeeeee is there a big difference in sound quality. I heard things I never heard befor. I am really loss for words, now I want to invest in a nice anolog cd player-1000 to 2500 range. If this hk-47 can make my jbl sound like this. The bass -sound stage present-man belive me when I say my jbl were singing they were singing. belive it or not I had a magnavox dvd player hook up to my system I bought the dvd player 5 years ago from circuit city for 29 dollars. I jamm on every thing from george clinton War LED Zepplin Incognito Eric clapton earth wind and fire jimmy hendrix blues Bad company Rolling Stones George Duke and the list went on and on. What A big difference in sound a cd player can make on your system:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

4313B
03-07-2009, 08:38 PM
now I want to invest in a nice anolog cd player-1000 to 2500 rangeWhy? :blink: Money to burn?

dino
03-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Why? :blink: Money to burn?well on some of my project in the past were a big failure and I FU** up alot of money I didnt have. well some things-I said some things are looking up [the sound of my stereo] I dont give up easy I am right back in the mix of it. I believe the hunger of a good sounding audio system is a never ending story I find my self saying what If I did this what If I did that. some how some way there is always room to make things better:p ps I think we all at one point or at one time spent money that we didnt have on jbl speakers or audio EQ

4313B
03-08-2009, 06:12 AM
I believe the hunger of a good sounding audio system is a never ending story

some how some way there is always room to make things betterYep. An entire industry banks on it. :p I just wish alot more people felt the way you do and had the disposable income to feed the need. :yes: In any case, I'm glad you like your DVD 47. It does the job it's supposed to.

dino
03-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Yep. An entire industry banks on it. :p I just wish alot more people felt the way you do and had the disposable income to feed the need. :yes: In any case, I'm glad you like your DVD 47. It does the job it's supposed to.Its callled work hard and play hard :D I can say the usmc tought me something!