PDA

View Full Version : help a good cd player

dino
02-23-2009, 07:27 AM
hello. I need a good cd player that wont take me to the poor house. used or new around 500-800 dollars . does any one have any input on jolida cd player jd-100. thanks

BMWCCA
02-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Dino,

This might be of some help: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23782

What it did was convince me the Harman-Kardon "tent-sale" DVD player I bought over a year ago for about $60 and never used, has about as fine a DAC set as you're going to find in players under $500 and that many here recommend the Oppo, albeit at a price-range perhaps well-under what you're looking to spend.

I must say, the H-K really does work very well but then, like you, my worry was that my old Sony really would be shown lacking by my "new" 4345s. But that wasn't the case and I've made no change. Though the H-K is playing very nicely in another room with the L7s and it is an improvement over an even older then-TOTL Sony single-tray CD-only player.

The 4345s play very nicely with the Sony DVD player, but then obviously my crossovers aren't capable of producing music properly and my drivers are all out of phase! ;)

Imagine how nice it would sound if everyone who'd ever touched my speakers hadn't been so darn stupid? :D

Ducatista47
02-23-2009, 09:29 AM
I know the JD100 is very good. I have been using one for years and it may be the best value out there. You can even tube roll. If you can find a newer but used Rega player for your price, it comes very highly recommended by the owners I know. I have no long time personal experience with any other units as good as these.

Most units, even some high dollar ones, now suffer from a mediocre transport. CD transports, basically no longer mass produced, have been replaced by DVD units. Burr-Brown chips are very good, only sniffed at by elitist buyers. The chips in Rega players are purportedly even better, top dog.

Edit: What makes these players superior is not only transport but very good analogue sections. I'm sure a Wadia has a good analogue section, but the price... The newer Rega offerings have a really nice circuit that analyzes the CD and compensates for its shortcomings. Old badly mastered and manufactured CD's are often again playable in a revealing system.

In any case the JD100 sounds better than any CD player most listeners will ever hear.

Clark

Rolf
02-27-2009, 02:05 PM
hello. I need a good cd player that wont take me to the poor house. used or new around 500-800 dollars . does any one have any input on jolida cd player jd-100. thanks

You will never get a good CD player if you are not willing to spend at least US$ 4000 or more. Just know from experience.

hjames
02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
You will never get a good CD player if you are not willing to spend at least US$ 4000 or more.
Just know from experience.

I don't think that is true ...
Sounds like other have had a different experience ...

Ducatista mentioned a unit that I found in audiophile tweak range for $1450 -
http://www.bellaextreme.com/jolidacustom100.htm

No doubt there are other units well below $4000 that will be very nice to listen to ...

Rolf
02-27-2009, 02:17 PM

No doubt there are other units well below $4000 that will be very nice to listen to ...

Hi. Everybody must have there own opinions. For me, the first time I felt I really got what I wanted was when I got a Burmester in the house, and they cost a lot.

hjames
02-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Hi. Everybody must have their own opinions.
For me, the first time I felt I really got what I wanted was when I got a Burmester in the house,
and they cost a lot.

yes, I'm sure you do believe it, but it still does not answer the writers original question ...

I need a good cd player that wont take me to the poor house. used or new around 500-800 dollars .For him, he won't be buying a $4000 unit ... no matter how much YOU like them ...

And to be honest, I don't think the Burnmeister is available in the USA anyway -
- perhaps there is no market here for it ...

Rolf
02-27-2009, 04:40 PM
yes, I'm sure you do believe it, but it still does not answer the writers original question ...
For him, he won't be buying a $4000 unit ... no matter how much YOU like them ...

And to be honest, I don't think the Burnmeister is available in the USA anyway -
- perhaps there is no market here for it ...

Well, sorry for interfering in this thread. Just wanted to tell that a good cd player in that price range does not exits.

dino
02-27-2009, 05:58 PM
I would like to here every one input even if I dont have 4000 for a awesome cd player. I spent a little over 4000 on my speakers but I am not willing to spend that much on a cd player. looking for the best bang for your buck- even a preowned unit is not out of the question. thanks:)

dino
02-27-2009, 06:02 PM

No doubt there are other units well below $4000 that will be very nice to listen to ... thanks for the info on the jolida

grumpy
02-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Heh... no, I think that's just Rolf's opinion based on his experience :)

Dino, if you can find a -working- Proceed CDP, they are usually in your
budget and are pretty good sounding. FWIW, this -was- a $3500 player
(in 1997).

I can't compare this with a Burmester, but I've found it to be an
improvement over the two Sony units (one ES, one not) that I
also own.

I'd like to try a Meitner Labs player, but that's not in the cards right now.

BMWCCA
02-27-2009, 11:38 PM
As a follow-up on Grumpy's suggestion, here's a Proceed that was offered on Audiogon for $875. Now you never know at what price things change hands over there but this one only lasted four days!
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1240586594 :dont-know

Rolf
02-27-2009, 11:51 PM

(in 1997).

also own.

Remember grumpy, the CD players have come A LONG way since 1997.

As a follow-up on Grumpy's suggestion, here's a Proceed that was offered on Audiogon for $875. Now you never know at what price things change hands over there but this one only lasted four days!
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1240586594 :dont-know

And ... how old is this one?

CD Players don't have the same lifetime as a speaker or an amp. The Laser and the transport will some day don't function anymore.

Mr. Widget
02-28-2009, 12:05 AM
I'd like to try a Meitner Labs player, but that's not in the cards right now.I know the feeling... I think I give this $1500 Sony some serious consideration. From what I have read, it has an excellent analog section and plays SACD as well as CD.

Widget

andywin
02-28-2009, 12:27 AM
You might want to consider one of these. Its' amazing value for money.

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalsourcereviews/1103tjoeb/

BMWCCA
02-28-2009, 06:26 AM
CD Players don't have the same lifetime as a speaker or an amp. The Laser and the transport will some day don't function anymore.I'm sure you're right. I bought my first CD player, a Philips rebadged as Magnavox for the USA, probably in 1983. I bought an early Sony that same year. I bought another, a high-line Sony single-play, maybe fifteen years ago, and an RCA for my kids somewhere along the way. They're all still working. Including CD/DVD players, I think I have seven or eight, all still working. Counting CD drives in computers, make that closer to twenty. All still working. I guess I'm just lucky. Add boom-boxes, CD-walkmen, other portables and the mind boggles, though some of those $29.99 portables have hit the trash bin.

However I do see complaints of laser replacement on the Proceed just from Google searches. But then how many of even the high-end companies actually make their own lasers, much less transports? :dont-know

Audiobeer
02-28-2009, 07:43 AM
For very affordable player I don't think you can go wrong with the Rega. There is a thread here on a PS1 :blink:

Rolf
02-28-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm sure you're right. I bought my first CD player, a Philips rebadged as Magnavox for the USA, probably in 1983. I bought an early Sony that same year. I bought another, a high-line Sony single-play, maybe fifteen years ago, and an RCA for my kids somewhere along the way. They're all still working. Including CD/DVD players, I think I have seven or eight, all still working. Counting CD drives in computers, make that closer to twenty. All still working. I guess I'm just lucky. Add boom-boxes, CD-walkmen, other portables and the mind boggles, though some of those $29.99 portables have hit the trash bin.

However I do see complaints of laser replacement on the Proceed just from Google searches. But then how many of even the high-end companies actually make their own lasers, much less transports? :dont-know

Almost every produser use transport and lasers from other companies. Phillips, Sony or what ever. The difference is how the transport is being installed, and the main board and D/A converters.

I have done listening tests between the DA converter in my Burmester VS sending the digital signal to my Pre/Proosessor, and the DA in the player does a better job. (In my opinion) My processor is a EAD "Encore", modified.

BMWCCA
02-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I have done listening tests between the DA converter in my Burmester VS sending the digital signal to my Pre/Proosessor, and the DA in the player does a better job. I was referring to your statement:
CD Players don't have the same lifetime as a speaker or an amp. The Laser and the transport will some day don't function anymore.Not the superiority of the signal conversion in a jewelry-store player.

Rolf
02-28-2009, 11:20 AM
I was referring to your statement:Not the superiority of the signal conversion in a jewelry-store player.

As you know, English is not my first language. As far as I can translate you mean that my Burmester is a jewel.

I don't think about it this way. I know it is good, and that was my intention interfering in this thread regarding prices. BUT, when the question was raised, I just wanted to give an tell my experience.

I do not hope I have ruined the thread.

timc
02-28-2009, 12:17 PM
For very affordable player I don't think you can go wrong with the Rega. There is a thread here on a PS1 :blink:

I totally agree. The Apollo might be the best cheap player i have tried. On the other hand i have to agree with Rolf :( There is just something weird with the sound of cheap CD-players. It's like compairing fresh food with food in tincans. In the lower pricerange i think that vinyl is the way to go. For performance that is. Not very practical.

What i dont agree with Rolf about is that TOTL older players need to be second rate. I owned a dCS delius from around 2000. It wiped the floor with everything i compared it with. Including an Audio Aero Capitole MK II.

-Tim

Mr. Widget
02-28-2009, 12:54 PM
There is just something weird with the sound of cheap CD-players. It's like compairing fresh food with food in tincans.Better DACs and better analog... I think the DACs have improved even on inexpensive players, however the analog section of 99% of all players is just terrible.

What i dont agree with Rolf about is that TOTL older players need to be second rate. I owned a dCS delius from around 2000. It wiped the floor with everything i compared it with. Including an Audio Aero Capitole MK II.I think by 2000 the DACs were pretty well sorted out so a SOTA dCS or Wadia or ??? can still be SOTA. The analog section in these better players is still fine, so it is only the relatively small advances in the DAC, dithering, clocking, and filtering that would be different in a better player today.

Widget

grumpy
02-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Older units of anything where the technology is in flux will devalue rather
quickly. Both performance improvements and cost 'improvements' make
yesterday's multi-thousand dollar CD player worth hundreds of dollars.
Add in difficulty in getting replacement parts (for almost any older optical
drive), and you definitely have a gamble to sort out.

I should have mentioned specific issues with the Proceed unit, but figured
that someone with $500-$800 to burn on a CD player would do some research
to understand the potential downside. I -have- had need to call
Harman Specialty Group to get some amplifier parts (also Proceed), and
received reasonable service/response.

Not trying to have this sound like a Proceed advertisement, as the product
line is dead, and I have no intention of selling the units I own,... I've just
found the product line to be an interesting mix of excellent sound quality,
reasonable (often) value in the used market, and odd or obsolete features
(especially in the video area, where technology has accelerated quite
quickly). The CDP -does- do a nice job with HDCD encoded discs...
whatever that's worth anymore.

I should really get something current in-house to compare... Hopefully
I'd be pleasantly surprised.

I'll agree that DAC's are probably no longer the 'weak link'. I worked on
'custom' units in the late 90's that were giving ~29bits effective at 100KHz
and the hard part was keeping that integrity in the analog domain.

dino
02-28-2009, 01:43 PM

(in 1997).

also own.

dino
02-28-2009, 01:49 PM
well i am going to do a little research but thanks to u all:applaud::applaud:

Rolf
02-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I
What i dont agree with Rolf about is that TOTL older players need to be second rate. I owned a dCS delius from around 2000. It wiped the floor with everything i compared it with. Including an Audio Aero Capitole MK II.

-Tim

Have you tried, compared your unit with a new "up to date" player? I think you will be surprised.

timc
02-28-2009, 03:01 PM
As i said, i did. 2000 dCS against 2006 Audio Aero.

Easy match for the dCS. Also equal to the McIntosh MDA1000.

Both dCS and McIntosh tested in my own system. dCS compared to AE in a friends system.

-Tim

Edit: Rolf: You know many newer players use older DAC chips? I personally is of the oppinion that it is not wich DAC chip or "philosophy" you use, but how you incorporate it.

dino
03-02-2009, 03:23 AM
Dino,

This might be of some help: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23782

What it did was convince me the Harman-Kardon "tent-sale" DVD player I bought over a year ago for about $60 and never used, has about as fine a DAC set as you're going to find in players under $500 and that many here recommend the Oppo, albeit at a price-range perhaps well-under what you're looking to spend.

I must say, the H-K really does work very well but then, like you, my worry was that my old Sony really would be shown lacking by my "new" 4345s. But that wasn't the case and I've made no change. Though the H-K is playing very nicely in another room with the L7s and it is an improvement over an even older then-TOTL Sony single-tray CD-only player.

The 4345s play very nicely with the Sony DVD player, but then obviously my crossovers aren't capable of producing music properly and my drivers are all out of phase! ;)

Imagine how nice it would sound if everyone who'd ever touched my speakers hadn't been so darn stupid? :D thanks . for right now I went on line and bought a hk-47 dvd player

dino
03-02-2009, 03:24 AM
I know the JD100 is very good. I have been using one for years and it may be the best value out there. You can even tube roll. If you can find a newer but used Rega player for your price, it comes very highly recommended by the owners I know. I have no long time personal experience with any other units as good as these.

Most units, even some high dollar ones, now suffer from a mediocre transport. CD transports, basically no longer mass produced, have been replaced by DVD units. Burr-Brown chips are very good, only sniffed at by elitist buyers. The chips in Rega players are purportedly even better, top dog.

Edit: What makes these players superior is not only transport but very good analogue sections. I'm sure a Wadia has a good analogue section, but the price... The newer Rega offerings have a really nice circuit that analyzes the CD and compensates for its shortcomings. Old badly mastered and manufactured CD's are often again playable in a revealing system.

In any case the JD100 sounds better than any CD player most listeners will ever hear.

Clark thanks. I will save a little more money and try the jolida -jd 100 or the njoe tjobe-4000

BMWCCA
03-02-2009, 07:56 AM
thanks. I will save a little more money and try the jolida -jd 100Google shows at least one JD100 having changed hands used, now for the third time, at $500. :dont-know