PDA

View Full Version : Turntable Isolation

palabra
02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I want to devise an isolation system for my turntable and I thought I'd turn to you guys for some tips and things to watch out for when designing one.

At the moment I'm considering suspending a heavy 'shelf' with neoprene pads underneath my turntable. I would suspend the 'shelf' from the actual shelf above it with all-thread rod and have isolators suspended with the all-thread. I would then place a neoprene isolation pad between the 'shelf' and my turntable. (picture is attached, apologies on the cruelty)

Some of my concerns are:
The two different types of isolators oscillating with each other harmonically, making the vibration worse for my turntable.
The wide range of frequencies being dealt with. I don't know if the set-up will be able to handle all of them.

You're input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allanvh5150
02-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Is the turntable at your house? If so do you have a wooden floor? What you can do in this case is cut a hole in the floor and run a steel pole through the floor direct into the ground, put a shelf on top of it and your turntable will never vibrate again. On a concrete floor you can do a similar thing but bolt the steel pole to the concrete. The result will be the same. :)

palabra
02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
I already tried that... twice. Once with a 6' x 6' x 6' concrete block in the middle of my living room as an anchor and the pole coming out of it...

macaroonie
02-16-2009, 06:44 PM
What is the turntable and what is the nature of your problem ?

palabra
02-16-2009, 08:13 PM
It's a Denon DP-47F.

I'm not having a problem... yet. I'm moving it upstairs where the floor will be considerably more springy.

Steve Schell
02-16-2009, 09:50 PM
In my old apartment years ago I suspended an AR 'table from the ceiling using monofilament fishing line. I used machine hardware including screw eyes, washers and wing nuts at the four corners of an MDF platform. This allowed for easy leveling. It was fiddly to begin a record and then stop the platform from swaying, but the isolation afforded was excellent. My only mistake was to not provide a shelf immediately below the platform. One morning while I was in the bathtub a line broke and the whole mess came crashing down.

I have since heard from several folks that a wall mounted shelf provides nearly the same isolation with much less hassle.

majick47
02-16-2009, 11:56 PM
As Steve said the way to go is with a wall shelf, I have three of them and NOTHING gets to my turntables. They occasionally show up on the Ebay and Audiogon.

louped garouv
02-17-2009, 08:50 AM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7700&highlight=turntable+isolation

i use a "floating" suspension system, as Scott had mentioned in this thread...
here's a pic...

http://themusicliveson.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=291&d=1161754231

some other useful ideas in there also...

those Isonoe feet are reportedly superb...

SEAWOLF97
02-17-2009, 10:40 AM
these worked for me

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=238805&postcount=27

and I do have an infrasonic filter on the preamp, but never noticed any difference.