PDA

View Full Version : Going to look at a set of L100

xbartx
01-22-2009, 03:06 PM
I posted a " want to buy" ad in my local Craigslist looking for replacement O66 tweeters for a my L166 and got a response asking if I was interested in a pair of L100s. Pretty much for the cost of what I thought the 066 tweeters would run me. Sounds like they are in good shape, short of the grills. The owner is a cabinet maker and fabricated new grills? He is bringing the speakers to his shop and I'm guessing it will not be a great place to listen to them. Should I bring some of my own, more portable gear and hook them up? Anything that I should look for? Sounds like they have 123a woofer. I believe that means it is an early version?
-Brad

spkrman57
01-22-2009, 03:17 PM
The L100 tweeter is a paper dome type whereas you are looking for a metallic dome if I recall the 166 correctly.

Ron

xbartx
01-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I was not getting them for the tweeters, they would be instead of spending the money on the L166's. Which have other issues that I would have to also tend to.

Fred Sanford
01-22-2009, 05:02 PM
I would bring a portable rig (for me it would be a discman with a line-out jack and a T-Amp) and some CDs I was familiar with plus a CD of frequency sweeps. Check L-pads for flat spots, check tweets for surrounding foam (rotted, most likely), check if input connectors are OEM or replaced. Check cabinets (particularly corners) for damage or repairs.

Any of these things might give some room for price negotiation. None are really a deal-breaker if the set is intact and at a bargain price.

je

jbl_daddy
01-22-2009, 07:54 PM
The L100's are not as brite as your L166 speakers if memory serves me right.