PDA

View Full Version : Ummmmmmm.....Realistic Mach Ones

SUPERBEE
01-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I picked up a cheap pair yesterday and I have to say........They sound pretty good

Perhaps my old ears are fooling me or its all the McIntosh 6200 I have running them but I have tried a few things out on them and they are doing the job

Mr. Widget
01-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I picked up a cheap pair yesterday and I have to say........They sound pretty good

Perhaps my old ears are fooling me or...Didn't you also post that you thought your Paragon sounded pretty good? :rotfl: :duck:

Widget

hjames
01-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Sigh ... thought you'd know the drill by now ...

:useless:

Perhaps my old ears are fooling me or its all the McIntosh 6200 I have running them but I have tried a few things out on them and they are doing the job

SUPERBEE
01-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Didn't you also post that you thought your Paragon sounded pretty good? :rotfl: :duck:

Widget

Words hurt Widget.....Words hurt

Sigh ... thought you'd know the drill by now ...

:useless:

They are not much to look at and I am kinda embarrassed I dig em!

But for you I will honk something over tonite!

hjames
01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
And the commonality of this thread is ... Radio Shack Speakers ...!!

Words hurt Widget.....Words hurt

Ummmmmmm.....Realistic Mach Ones

They are not much to look at and I am kinda embarrassed I dig em!

But for you I will honk something over tonite!

'Preciate it!
I've been trying to sell off Emma's old Optimus STS1000 speakers via the DC-local Craigslist ...
They're not bad sounding, the surrounds are fine,
but we have lots of other speakers that are better and I want the room ...
Plus they are funky black grained wood cabs ...
I can't imagine what they were pretending to be ...:D
but no doubt, someone will be happy with them for well under $100

JBL 4645
01-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Blimey :blink: I, haven’t heard these ones in years. An old friend used to own a pair he now lives Seawolf97 land I believe, got feed up with the UK I guess.

I’ve heard a few music tracks on them at his first flat that was slightly larger in same road as I used to live in, then he moved to his new brought flat not too far away and they still sounded fine. The room shape wasn’t as crocked as the first one due to the slopping ceilings as he was on the top floor.

The newer flat living room area was a bit more even apart for the window area. I liked the low bass output on films like (InnerSpace 1986) (The Living Daylights 1987) I, I think (Commando 1985) as well because I, remember his slack comments he hated the film LOL, I liked it of course.

The impacts of the bass had that bone crunch effect as I seem to recall with oomph, even at low level and low level it was because he was too pussy to turn it up and tell the neighbour below to bugger off!

Music I think he was into David Bowie? I seem to recall a music track called colourbox? that sounded neat on the Mach 1. I think he had the L pad mid and high range trimmed, not sure of the settings as this was back around 1986 to 1987 88. He then sold them, what a pussy and brought some smaller bookshelf speakers I, think they where a posh British make?

Then he brought one of the large Yamaha AVR Dolby pro-logic decoders it was the large black one 1990 1991.

I think the price for the Mach 1 was sold around less then £200.00 pounds and this was mid late 1980’s so today they’ll be cheap as biscuits if, not cheaper than one months worth of shopping at ASDA store.:D

http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/data/519/191MACHII.jpg

BMWCCA
01-05-2009, 06:18 PM
they are funky black grained wood cabs ...
I can't imagine what they were pretending to be ...:D JBL L11/2?

JBL 4645
01-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Nah, these are bigger than those L20T pretenders ...:applaud:
They're like black L36s or something ...

That’s the word that was on the tip of my tongue. :D The end credits of (The Living Daylights) by (The Pretenders) “If There Was Man” sounded nice with smooth warm bass.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PkxBgCBYQ9U (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PkxBgCBYQ9U)

SUPERBEE

So how much did you pay for them?
Also what’s the condition of the bass driver edge foam surround?

JBL 4645
01-05-2009, 07:00 PM
And the commonality of this thread is ... Radio Shack Speakers ...!!

Well it could be ten times worse. It could Blowers aka Bose.:D

SUPERBEE
01-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I got them for $40 and the surrounds are fine

That’s the word that was on the tip of my tongue. :D The end credits of (The Living Daylights) by (The Pretenders) “If There Was Man” sounded nice with smooth warm bass.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PkxBgCBYQ9U (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PkxBgCBYQ9U)

SUPERBEE

So how much did you pay for them?
Also what’s the condition of the bass driver edge foam surround?

dino
01-06-2009, 12:58 PM
the first style 4024 were build by foster/ fostex. for radio shack speakers there not bad . I own a pair and they can suck up 200-300 watts rms easy but there no jbl:p

oznob
02-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Just remember BEE, you started this!;)

Picked these up in trade for an old Sansui receiver. I too am a bit smitten by them. They do like lots of POWER!

oznob
02-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Here's a couple shots with their clothes on.

oznob
02-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Surrounds are in good shape, no scratch in the L-pads, cabinets OK, sound, well......:hmm: I read somewhere that the original tweeters for these were made by Altec. Any know if there is any truth to that?

dino
02-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Surrounds are in good shape, no scratch in the L-pads, cabinets OK, sound, well......:hmm: I read somewhere that the original tweeters for these were made by Altec. Any know if there is any truth to that?speaker were made by fostex:p for radio shack. and they can take alot of power

BigBusa
02-20-2009, 07:59 AM
oznob, take your vaccuum hose and gently place it on that dented dust cover. The dent should pop right out.

oznob
02-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the tip. I have tried that in the past with a couple of Klipsch passive radiators without much success. A friend told me to cup my hand around the end and direct more of the suction at the dent. I will try that this evening.

And no, the Klipsch didn't suck more than the vacuum!;)

Harvey Gerst
02-20-2009, 11:16 AM
The other method is to use about a 6" piece of duct tape and work one end into the dent (without making the dent any worse), then pull on the free end of the tape.

oznob
02-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks "HiFi", if the vacuum doesn't work I will try it.

dino
04-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Hey all. 1st- they're not JBL. But for the money u could not beat the price of the 4024- mach ones theyre good sounding speakers not great sounding but good sounding. I love them because they are a product that was built to last. My high school friend mike swankowski father I believe around 1982 bought a an SAE I believe 1001 this amp was huge it was an absolute monster. This thing was rated 500 rms and I bought my mach ones over to put them to the test. I dumped 400 watts rms into the mach ones and the kept on jammin. I was blown away. Now his father had a pair of JBL 250 that I compare to the mach ones . The JBL 250 way more detail a lot smoother and better stage presence. But like I said earlier u can not beat the mach one price for 199.00 each. I do not know of a speaker from the late 70s to 2013 that had the performance - frequency range and durability of the mach ones.

SEAWOLF97
04-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm not a huge fan of L1:):)'s, but ...they were roughly in that time frame and a mere $74 more than the mach 1's. They frequently sell for more now than when new (and their veneer is quite nice)

[QUOTE=oznob;241592]Thanks "HiFi", if the vacuum doesn't work I will try it.

the trick with the vacuum Oz..is to use it around the very edges of the dent , not the center. Slowly work it 360 over the circumference.