PDA

View Full Version : 18' sub

patseg
01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
hello to everybody.

Im patricio, again, from Argentina.
I'm trying to build a 18' subwoofer to make a system with two diy 4430'.
I tried to find a JBL 2245 transducer in my country but is really impossible.
The question is. Wich is the second best option for a 2245? Some audio brands in Argentina a B&C, RCF, EV, P-audio, Eighteen Sound. Another option is to buy a JBL 2241/2 ( I think that this kind of transducers doesn't work for hi fi aplications. i'm right?)
Thanks to all of you and happy new year!!!

Patricio

Valentin
01-02-2009, 04:56 PM
2242h

as in jbl 4645c

and it works perfectly for hifi aplication

LE15-Thumper
01-02-2009, 07:29 PM
IIRC...the 2241 has an "accordian" surround. Maybe better for pro use as opposed to home use ?

Which driver has the higher power rating ?

pmakres1
01-02-2009, 07:51 PM
IIRC...the 2241 has an "accordian" surround. Maybe better for pro use as opposed to home use ?

Which driver has the higher power rating ?

I have a B460 sub on my main system, which utilizes the 2245H.

I also recently acquired a 2241-based Sub. You do remember correctly, the 2241 has the accordian surround. This sub performs absolutely wonderfully in the home application. I honestly can't say which I prefer. Both the 2241 and the 2245 have the same power rating of 600 watts continuous.

Pete

robertbartsch
01-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm using a 2242 18" sub woofer in a home theater application and it is an outstanding choice.

The downside is that it works best in a BIG box - say 9 square feet.

In the USA you can get these used for $250-300 USD or buy them new for 550 USD.

SHipping from the USA to a foreign location is ALWAYS a pain, however.

4313B
01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm using a 2242 18" sub woofer in a home theater application and it is an outstanding choice.

The downside is that it works best in a BIG box - say 9 square feet.9 cubic feet is a BIG box to the low compliance 2242H (Vas is ~ 10 cubic feet).
9 cubic feet is a TINY box to the high compliance 2245H (Vas is ~ 29 cubic feet).

grumpy
01-06-2009, 02:02 PM
In the USA you can get these used for $250-300 USD or buy them new for 550 USD.Anyone reading this should check current prices for themselves before getting too
warmed up. Normal (today, at three authorized on-line vendors) is ~$650+ new.
Recone jobs are quoted on the order of $250.

$250-$300 would be giving them away unless they've had a hard or questionable life,
in which case it would be too much (IMO, as a core).

There are the rare auction/swap-meet/CL deals that aren't well marketed, but one could
wait -quite- awhile for a crapshoot. Recent ebay sale went for $400 + shipping for "new",
but from private seller... that probably made a mistake in the listing (set initial bid
same as BIN).

That all said, happy hunting. :)

spkrman57
01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Finding them in good condition for that price is easier said than done!

Ron

Doc Mark
01-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey, Friends,

OK, I've got to jump in here and gloat, just a little! ;):D Some of you may remember the 2242H that I found at a local swap meet, in brand new condition, other than it's dust cap pushed in a bit, for all of $30!! Oh, that was a great buy! Later, I took it to Edgewound, and he replaced the dust cap with a new one, and tested out that 2242H. It looks to have never been mounted in a cabinet, nor used, at all! So, that's at least one rare exception of finding such a woofer for a, well, "swap meet" price!! ;):D:applaud: Do I think I could ever find another one for such a price, and in such fine condition? Very probably never again...... For that reason, I am always grateful when such blessings come my way, and those folks here at LH who are well-known for their constant wonderful "finds" probably are, too! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

robertbartsch
01-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I have a 2242 sub that I enjoy much! ....on occasion it feels like the house is moving away from its foundation. If you have any loose dental fillings, you will know immediately.

pmakres1
01-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Hey, Friends,

OK, I've got to jump in here and gloat, just a little! ;):D Some of you may remember the 2242H that I found at a local swap meet, in brand new condition, other than it's dust cap pushed in a bit, for all of $30!! Oh, that was a great buy! Later, I took it to Edgewound, and he replaced the dust cap with a new one, and tested out that 2242H. It looks to have never been mounted in a cabinet, nor used, at all! So, that's at least one rare exception of finding such a woofer for a, well, "swap meet" price!! ;):D:applaud: Do I think I could ever find another one for such a price, and in such fine condition? Very probably never again...... For that reason, I am always grateful when such blessings come my way, and those folks here at LH who are well-known for their constant wonderful "finds" probably are, too! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Nice! Nice! Nice! :applaud:

Pete

Doc Mark
01-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi, Pete,

Thanks, very much!! Thanks to you, Robert, Ron, and a few others of our LH Mates who have them and have reported positively about such subs, ,I'm really excited about the possibilities for using this 2242H in an 8 FT3 box, tuned to 25HZ, or so!! I remember when you got your second sub, with a similar woofer, and when I read that you really had a hard time telling any difference in performance between that and the B460, well, that pretty much was the icing on the "sub-cake", as far I was concerned!! ;):D:applaud: Thanks, again, for your kind words, Pete, as always! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

patseg
01-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks to all of you. I appreciate your suggestions.
I think that i'm going to try with a 2241/2 diy sub.
Thanks again.

Patricio

Val
01-19-2009, 11:37 PM
In the USA you can get these used for $250-300 USD or buy them new for 550 USD.

For what it is worth, I can offer this for reference. I purchased a new-old-stock 2245H, in the box, never mounted, for $300 on eBay in August 2008.