PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Altec drivers.

Doc Mark
12-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Greetings, Friends,

Today, I was down in the Hobbit Hole, trying to find something else, and I turned up a box with a couple of old Altec drivers that I'd acquired a very long time ago. I'd not heard of them, back when I got them (for free), and I still don't know anything about them. So far, I've not found them in the "Library", nor in any of my old Altec literature. I can post photos here, if you'd like to see them, or if that might help. Here's what I have:

1 - Altec Model 720A, 8 ohms.

1 - Altec Model 730B, 8 ohms.

and, 1 - similar Altec driver, encased in what appears to be a heavy metal box containing a network of some kind. I have yet to crack it open to see.

I need to test the VC's of each, to see if they are good, or dead, and will do that tomorrow. Any ideas about when they were made, or for what purpose? They are smaller than regular Altec drivers I've had in the past, and those that I currently own. Any thoughts, or ideas, would be appreciated. Again, I can take and post photos, if that would help you. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

oldsoundz
12-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi Doc

Please post some pics. I would like to see them.

I love Altec speakers.

I am not immediately familiar with these model numbers but suspect you may have something fairly rare.

Chris

grumpy
12-20-2008, 09:29 PM
perhaps previous version of 730C? :

http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/drivers/730C%20HF%20Driver.pdf

Clueless on 720 other than probably a similar/related product line.

Tom Brennan
12-21-2008, 09:44 AM
WE products that carried over as Altecs, as with the 755?

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Western%20Electric/page%2077.jpg

speakerdave
12-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Just what you need to let the crowd know who's at bat.

Doc Mark
12-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey, Tom, and All,

Thanks, very much, for that great information! I tested the units today, and found one that passes continuity, the others might, too, but I know that one of them has a broken lead inside the case. When time permits, probably after Christmas, I'll crack all three of them open, and see what's inside them, and if the VC's work. I don't think that my cross-list of Altec parts will show them, but I'd love to see if the diaphrams can be used in other Altec drivers, like the 902. Thanks, again, and I'll get back to you all on this soon. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc