PDA

View Full Version : Caps in Parallel?

KT88Lover
12-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi,
My first post here, I've been a lurker. Great site!

My question is: do you think that paralleling capacitors to achieve a non-standard or unavailable value in a first order network could or would have a negative impact on sound? This as compared to a single cap.

For the sake of the question, let's assume there is nothing available within 10% of the manufacture's specified value.

Time smear perhaps?

I'm a novice so don't laugh. :)

Jim

KT88Lover
12-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I guess a simpler way of asking is:
Does a pair or more of paralleled caps do more harm than a single cap of the same value? Everything else being equal.
Thanks again guys!
Jim

Ian Mackenzie
12-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Do some searches, this was covered recently

KT88Lover
12-13-2008, 04:30 PM

How about a tip in the right direction? :)

Jim

KT88Lover
12-13-2008, 04:34 PM

I just found one discussion.

Thanks
Jim

KT88Lover
12-13-2008, 05:02 PM
I just found one discussion.

Thanks
Jim

Well, not really.

Just arguments about charge coupling and the like, and whether JBL knows what they're doing. :(

I don't possess enough technical expertise to understand most of what's up for discussion. At least not to the point to use charts and graphs to just argue and harangue over two schools of thought.

I was just interested in some knowledgeable feedback on if I would suffer any aurally perceptible degradation from "piggy backing" caps to achieve a desired value.

Looks like I stumbled into a big am too, are not kind of a thing.

Thanks for your help.
Jim

Ian Mackenzie
12-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi,
My first post here, I've been a lurker. Great site!

My question is: do you think that paralleling capacitors to achieve a non-standard or unavailable value in a first order network could or would have a negative impact on sound? This as compared to a single cap.

For the sake of the question, let's assume there is nothing available within 10% of the manufacture's specified value.

Time smear perhaps?

I'm a novice so don't laugh. :)

Jim

Jim,

This will cost you a slab if your dang favourite brew!

No!

But it would be better to use the right value or roughly equal values to get the value you are after if you think you will have sleepless nights, bed wetting and the like.

Use the same brand and type though.

Once I mixed Holvands with metalized polyester (on the basis of what someone said here) and it was Disaster. I had I accepted their advise (to mix and match like play dough till you hear what you like) I would never have gone down the 43XX road using the 2307 horns.

Frankly I think this is where some of the bad wrap on these vintage models comes from ...there are some seriously grown shut tight arses around here who will never know any Freakin different.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
12-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, not really.

Just arguments about charge coupling and the like, and whether JBL knows what they're doing. :(

I don't possess enough technical expertise to understand most of what's up for discussion. At least not to the point to use charts and graphs to just argue and harangue over two schools of thought.

I was just interested in some knowledgeable feedback on if I would suffer any aurally perceptible degradation from "piggy backing" caps to achieve a desired value.

Looks like I stumbled into a big am too, are not kind of a thing.

Thanks for your help.
Jim

Years ago where was a crowd that said to parrellel a prgressively smaller values to get the right larger value (like about 10 years ago).

I heard their old product recently and it was quite ordinary by todays standards.

The thing to bear in mind is your application and the size of the capacitor.

ESR and other things are better if in parrellel but not always.

Aurciaps has a big hubba over bypassing and such but it can help of the large dominant capacitor (like 100 uf for size and cost reasons is an electrolytic).

I personally find Hovlands or Munford Silver Oils about as good as it gets for small values in critical applications because they are about as ideal as a capacitor can be. They have far superior resolution than even the Auricaps and are as close to a straight wire as I have heard.

In small signal coupling applications offset voltage exist (that is why we use capacitors) so I just buy the best single capacitors I can afford.

KT88Lover
12-13-2008, 05:34 PM
"This will slab if your dang favourite brew!"

Got me with "slab"?

Don't speak U.K. slang and colloquialisms.

Not going to wet my bed over it either, the job's done.

I began to ponder the question after the fact on a purely academic level, and to know for future reference if it is a less than desirable practice. This after actually having it dawn on me that everything has to recombine after the fact. Herein lies the basis for my curiosity.

And not unlike the reason children ask; why and how so?

Sorry to have troubled you with such a dumb ass, pedestrian quiz.

Thanks,
Jim

KT88Lover
12-13-2008, 05:38 PM
No offense intended with my post above. Just could not tell where you were coming from. This is not the warmest place I've ever been, to outsiders. I told you I've done a bit of lurking.

Did not mean to insult.

Thanks
Jim

Ian Mackenzie
12-13-2008, 05:41 PM
"This will slab if your dang favourite brew!"

Got me with "slab"?

Don't speak U.K. slang and colloquialisms.

Not going to wet my bed over it either, the job's done.

I began to ponder the question after the fact on a purely academic level, and to know for future reference if it is a less than desirable practice. This after actually having it dawn on me that everything has to recombine after the fact. Herein lies the basis for my curiosity.

And not unlike the reason children ask; why and how so?

Sorry to have troubled you with such a dumb ass, pedestrian quiz.

Thanks,
Jim

Hey Jim,

Take it with the irony that was intended.

If anyone was being addressed it certainly wasn't you.

I edited my post so it will make more sense..the wireless keyboard is in need of new batteries!

1 slab = 1 dozen beers

KT88Lover
12-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Hey Jim,

Take it with the irony that was intended.

If anyone was being addressed it certainly wasn't you.

I edited my post so it will make more sense..the wireless keyboard is in need of new batteries!

1 slab = 1 dozen beers

Learn something new every day.

The slab bit, I like it.

I like to leave "vintage" alone unless broken, only where safety or function (as originally intended) is in play. Not much into changing the voice of things I like, as well, simply for the sake of "up grading".

Things tend to take on new personalities. Not always good.

In the audio hobby there seems to be a lot of guys that approach it like women approach men. They seldom really love what's in front of them, but rather they love what they think they can turn it in to. I try to buy vintage pieces that I could live with and be happy. Like when I was much younger. Tweaking and shitting around with kit only takes time from enjoying recordings. And, like men and women, soon leads to discontent and disappointment.

I'm in it for the music.

Thank you for the input,
Jim

Ian Mackenzie
12-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Jim,

We don't mind you speaking your mind .

I guess the moral of the story is choose wisely.

What is interesting is that quite a few members (many of whom I have met) have come back to audio and their love of JBL between "serves" shall we say and you will find a lot of comfort in fitting on that basis.

I think I chose well in this instance, even if it as short and sweet.:)

cooky1257
12-14-2008, 03:25 AM
Simple answer is no.
I suppose for piece of mind it would make sense to use same type/multiples of same values to get you close to the value you need(ie 4.9uF=3x1.5+0.4uF.)
I like Mundorf Supremes over Hovlands and have no idea who the tight arses Ian refers to are:)
That'll be 4 bottles of Bishops Finger real ale please!

KT88Lover
12-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Jim,

What is interesting is that quite a few members (many of whom I have met) have come back to audio and their love of JBL between "serves" shall we say and you will find a lot of comfort in fitting on that basis.

I concur.
Jim

maxwedge
12-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Jim,

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=35910&stc=1&d=1229222890%3C/a%3E
Is that you?!:blink::applaud: J/K:bouncy:
(http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=35910&stc=1&d=1229222890)