PDA

View Full Version : My New Westlakes

Ken Pachkowsky
12-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Hi all. I am pleased :bouncy:to announce the purchase of Westlake HR-7 Towers. The cabinets are the American Walnut version with WBT hardware. Julie is happy they look more like furniture than the HR-1's did.

These are brand new "without" the internal passive crossover. Like my old Hr-1's, I will use a dual Deqx system.

Weighing in at 385lbs each they are quite large.

Driver Compliment is as follows:

Dual Focal 12's
Jbl 2122H
Tad 2001
Jbl 2403

I should have them shortly and will post pictures etc. Here is a stock photo of them in the industrial black cab.

PS: I will be selling my BBSM8's if anyone is interested. They will be shipped out of LA not Mexico. They are literally brand new and sound fantastic to say the least. Look in the for sale area for pics etc.

Ken

demon
12-06-2008, 09:21 AM
:applaud:

cheers!!

Mr. Widget
12-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Driver Compliment is as follows:

Dual Focal 12's
Jbl 2122H
Tad 2001
Jbl 2403Congratulations... interesting driver compliment.

Widget

Ducatista47
12-06-2008, 10:50 AM
I thought the 2122H and the 2403 were NLA. Did the JBL Fairy leave some under the pillow? http://www.jblpro.com/components/index.html

They look very impressive. I am becoming a big fan of little 12" woofers.

Clark

boputnam
12-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Congratulations... interesting driver compliment.Yes, indeed - on both counts!!

The combo of the TD-2001 with the 2122H I think you'll find very pleasing. I've got it's slightly larger sister (she's on steroids...) in the 4345, and it's really wonderful.

Regis
12-06-2008, 11:06 AM
A hearty congrats to you Ken! Those are some beauties! Almost 400 pounds of JBL bliss. Gawd, you're gonna get it good! I doubt you'll be feeling any disappointment when you finally get to sit if front of them and hear them for the first time. Now to decide on what CD's to run through those magnificent beasts!:applaud::applaud::applaud:

PS: I looked through Westlake's home line a couple of months ago and came away quite impressed with the quality and appearance of their speakers. I'm sure they'll sound like they look!:D

Ken Pachkowsky
12-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I thought the 2122H and the 2403 were NLA. Did the JBL Fairy leave some under the pillow? http://www.jblpro.com/components/index.html

Clark

Very true.....Westlake has a cache of both. The 2122H is used in the BBSM 15 and all HR7 series monitors. The 2403 is used in all HR7 series monitors as well as the SM-1

Ken

boputnam
12-06-2008, 11:59 AM
...I am becoming a big fan of ... 12" woofers.Clark - have you had any time with a 128H? It's quite impressive...

Ken Pachkowsky
12-06-2008, 12:01 PM
The combo of the TD-2001 with the 2122H I think you'll find very pleasing.

Yes, I think they will sound great....needless to say I am chomping at the bit.

Ken

Ducatista47
12-06-2008, 12:03 PM
No, Bo, what was it used in? Maybe I have heard it. In any case, thanks for the tip.

Clark

Andyoz
12-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Westlake are a class act in every way. Good to see a company with such high standards in product and service survive in this age of mp3...throw away rubbish.

Ken Pachkowsky
12-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Here is a better photo of the version I bought. They do come with Grills.

Ken

scott fitlin
12-06-2008, 03:22 PM
NICE SPEAKERS, Ken!

Is THAT a VTL amp? A CLASS piece of gear, hmm, you have good taste!

:D

speakerdave
12-06-2008, 03:24 PM
2122's in a dish to align the voice coil with the woofer, 'eyh?

boputnam
12-06-2008, 04:22 PM
2122's in a dish to align the voice coil with the woofer, 'eyh?Good eyes, Dave - but it doesn't look like a really good physical alignment.

The woofs are likely "behind" the rest using the passive crossover - this might help a teeny bit, but I'll bet it's still not a good time-alignment. It will be interesting to see what the DEQX sez - it does time-alignment, yes?

Ken Pachkowsky
12-06-2008, 05:39 PM
The woofs are likely "behind" the rest using the passive crossover - this might help a teeny bit, but I'll bet it's still not a good time-alignment. It will be interesting to see what the DEQX sez - it does time-alignment, yes?

These do come in several variations depending on the crossover setup. The inner edges of the 2122H cavity use defraction rings dependent on the depth of the baffle. Yes, the Deqx does time align but I am sure that will not be needed.

I have a picture somewhere showing the driver without the defraction ring somewhere. If I find it I will post it.

Ken

speakerdave
12-06-2008, 05:56 PM
. . . . The woofs are likely "behind" the rest using the passive crossover - this might help a teeny bit, but I'll bet it's still not a good time-alignment. It will be interesting to see what the DEQX sez - it does time-alignment, yes?

Speakers are described as lacking passive crossovers. If digital xo's do frequency division w/o inductance lag and capacitance lead, then the little axial offsets would be worth addressing, eyh?.

David

Ken Pachkowsky
12-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Here we go..

scott fitlin
12-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Cosmetetically, its much more attractive with the ring.

Ahh, Westlakes, Sunshine, Beautiful Home with Beautiful veiw, Down Mexico way!

What a life! :D

Ken Pachkowsky
12-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Speakers are described as lacking passive crossovers. If digital xo's do frequency division w/o inductance lag and capacitance lead, then the little axial offsets would be worth addressing, eyh?.

David

Hi Dave

This is beyond my pay grade......I know they sound fantastic. I had the option of using the HRX crossover but after my experience with the Deqx units on the HR1......yum:D

boputnam
12-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Speakers are described as lacking passive crossovers. Yeah, but Ken's starter post suggested they are available with a passive crossover, so I was guessing Mr. Westlake made the physical offsets to the MF and UHF (probably HF, too - would shorting the lips protruding from the baffle...) to help.

If digital xo's do frequency division w/o inductance lag and capacitance lead, then the little axial offsets would be worth addressing, eyh?.That there is a damned good point. If these were intended for a passive network, or something non-digital, going with a DEQX could have the unintended consequence of miss-aligning things. :blink:

Yes, the Deqx does time align but I am sure that will not be needed. Boy, I'd sure want to see how they "line up". It is something I've long wanted to test on the 4345's - curiousity? It is damned important in SR - when we get things time-aligned the improvements in coherence are, well, audible. :)

Ken Pachkowsky
12-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Cosmetetically, its much more attractive with the ring.

Ahh, Westlakes, Sunshine, Beautiful Home with Beautiful veiw, Down Mexico way!

What a life! :D

Well darn it Scottie, someone has to do it....:)

Nice to see you..

Ken

scott fitlin
12-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Well darn it Scottie, someone has to do it....:)

Nice to see you..

KenNice to see you too, and see you doing well!

Hey, your right, someone DOES have to do it, might as well be you.

I am also doing MORE to my room, I'm diigin the NEW Crown amps, and high power JBL 18,s, and TAD 15,s, wicked, AWESOME bottom end.

BTW, do you use that tube amp on the Westlakes? If so, tell me about that sound?

speakerdave
12-06-2008, 06:27 PM
2403 set back too

He says different setups depending on crossover.

These do come in several variations depending on the crossover setup. . . . .

Anyway, they look like an interesting pair of speakers well within the iconoclastic Westlake tradition.

Ian Mackenzie
12-06-2008, 07:28 PM
I think it may serve dual purposes

One of better offset alignment with the compression driver crossover function and more particularly to control nearfield reflections that would otherwise occur from the 2122H wave bouncing of the bottom of the horn flare.

I had this problem a while back using the 2397 and even the 2344 bum horn with the 2122H.

This is one of the reasons I went back to the o'l fog horns.

The dispersion of this driver is quite broad in the midrange and anything of physical proximity +- 90 degrees with the front baffle causes irregularites in the response which are quite audible.

The time alignment with the woofer is relatively unimportant at 300 or so hertz with steep filters the small distances involved.

boputnam
12-06-2008, 10:31 PM
The time alignment with the woofer is relatively unimportant at 300 or so hertz with steep filters the small distances involved.It's not only about the areas of possible overlap, but about coherence of the acoustic response.

The woof doesn't go up that far, I'd guess. The issue, as you know, is getting all four elements time-aligned. No doubt the woofs are "late"; proper delay (and phasing) of the other elements will provide an incredibly coherent response for the listener. This is a pretty exciting project, done right.

Ken Pachkowsky
12-07-2008, 03:47 AM
It's not only about the areas of possible overlap, but about coherence of the acoustic response.

The woof doesn't go up that far, I'd guess.

The design calls for crossing over at 400hz. I admit that is quite high.

xover points

400hz
1.8khz
8.5khz

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
12-07-2008, 04:00 AM
Nice to see you too, and see you doing well!

I am also doing MORE to my room, I'm diigin the NEW Crown amps, and high power JBL 18,s, and TAD 15,s, wicked, AWESOME bottom end.

BTW, do you use that tube amp on the Westlakes? If so, tell me about that sound?

Scott

I was in your neck of the woods and almost looked you up this summer.

The photo I posted of the walnut cabs is NOT my setup.....sorry for the confusion. I posted it cause thats all I have so far. Well, that and a whopping invoice:banghead:

I should have the speakers in late January:applaud:

I use a pair of Marsh 400s amps at this time. I will definately be on the prowl for some small Boulder amps again. They are stunning on the mid and high end. I would not waste the money driving woofers with Boulders again. The Crown K2 performed better in that department. I can't believe I did not try a K2 on my HR1's until a month before selling them.

Ken

caladois
12-07-2008, 05:06 AM
:applaud:Congratulation. T am dying to see pictures

scott fitlin
12-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Scott

I was in your neck of the woods and almost looked you up this summer.

The photo I posted of the walnut cabs is NOT my setup.....sorry for the confusion. I posted it cause thats all I have so far. Well, that and a whopping invoice:banghead:

I should have the speakers in late January:applaud:

I use a pair of Marsh 400s amps at this time. I will definately be on the prowl for some small Boulder amps again. They are stunning on the mid and high end. I would not waste the money driving woofers with Boulders again. The Crown K2 performed better in that department. I can't believe I did not try a K2 on my HR1's until a month before selling them.

KenYou should have looked me up, you would enjoy riding around, and the music and sound too, I think its awesome, and get many compliments.

I can't agree more, Crown makes the best sounding low end, IMO.

:bouncy:

Mr. Widget
12-07-2008, 11:03 AM
The design calls for crossing over at 400hz. I admit that is quite high.:blink:

400Hz sounds perfect to me... why take the 2122H down any lower?

The questions I have are regarding the very narrow band that they are using the TD-2001 in... 1.8KHz to 8.5KHz... I am sure that it is due to limitations of the smith style horn. Too bad really, if they used a different horn, they could push that super tweeter up much higher and crossover from the 2122H much lower, but I suppose without a smith style horn it just wouldn't be a Westlake. ;) It would appear that even a company like Westlake isn't immune to marketing based decisions.

Widget

Ken Pachkowsky
12-07-2008, 12:05 PM
:blink:

The questions I have are regarding the very narrow band that they are using the TD-2001 in... 1.8KHz to 8.5KHz... I am sure that it is due to limitations of the smith style horn. Too bad really, if they used a different horn, they could push that super tweeter up much higher and crossover from the 2122H much lower, but I suppose without a smith style horn it just wouldn't be a Westlake. ;) It would appear that even a company like Westlake isn't immune to marketing based decisions.

Widget

Point taken Widget. I'll go one step further. A good argument could be made to eliminate the 2403 all together. This is the same horn used in the BBSM 15 which uses a Tad 2001 as well. My point is, I sure never noticed any "severe" roll-off on the BBSM 15. Most people can't hear passed 15k anyway. Heh, sure would be nice to eliminate the 2nd Deqx and amp :applaud:.

I ran my old HR1's for almost a month 3-way (only 1 Deqx) and although it was noticeable......most would have never known.

Anyway, we could find fault with almost everything if we try hard enough.;)

Ken

Mr. Widget
12-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Heh, sure would be nice to eliminate the 2nd Deqx and amp :applaud:.
Since there are no internal networks to bypass, I would absolutely give it a try with the 2403 out of the circuit... one less amp, one less crossover point... I do not think the TD-2001 will really reach 20KHz, but then as you point out, you may not hear that high up anyway. Since you are using DEQX, you can certainly EQ to compensate for any roll off the horn may have.

Widget

gerard
12-08-2008, 01:32 AM
2 woofer 12 " !!!

I thouhgt I read for physical reason only a large woofer can go really down and give real bass .

Can you get the same quality with 2x12" as a 2235 ?

Gerard

Ken Pachkowsky
12-08-2008, 09:21 AM
2 woofer 12 " !!!

I thouhgt I read for physical reason only a large woofer can go really down and give real bass .

Can you get the same quality with 2x12" as a 2235 ?

Gerard

I think it would all depend on the design of the driver ie: subwoofers come in all sizes.

They sure don't lack on the bottom end.

Ken

gerard
12-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi ken

if it was so simple , we would only find speakers with small drivers , we will put our 434x or 250 Ti to the trash , my wife would be very happy :applaud: and I will have no project for speakers :(...

I believe the greatest difference between Cd and Lp are harmonics ( and nobody talks about it ) , Cd does not have so much harmonics !

May be the same for large and small woofer ?????:blink:

gerard

scott fitlin
12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi ken

if it was so simple , we would only find speakers with small drivers , we will put our 434x or 250 Ti to the trash , my wife would be very happy :applaud: and I will have no project for speakers :(...

I believe the greatest difference between Cd and Lp are harmonics ( and nobody talks about it ) , Cd does not have so much harmonics !

May be the same for large and small woofer ?????:blink:

gerardThere are pros and cons to everything. 12in woofers and subwoofers are said to be faster in response time, less mass to move, and less inertia to stop after signal has passed, so 12in drivers can result in a faster, snappier sounding bass.

IMO, there are fantastic sounding designs, using 15in or 12in drivers, it comes down to an individuals preference and likes!

Ken Pachkowsky
12-08-2008, 11:16 AM
There are pros and cons to everything. 12in woofers and subwoofers are said to be faster in response time, less mass to move, and less inertia to stop after signal has passed, so 12in drivers can result in a faster, snappier sounding bass.

IMO, there are fantastic sounding designs, using 15in or 12in drivers, it comes down to an individuals preference and likes!

Could not have said it better..

Ken

gerard
12-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Still I can see a difference between 14"-15" and 18" !

What are the best 14" available woofer Jbl or not able to compete Le14 or better , I'm interested !

Gerard

vernb
12-09-2008, 02:31 AM
Still I can see a difference between 14"-15" and 18" !

What are the best 14" available woofer Jbl or not able to compete Le14 or better , I'm interested !

Gerard
I have LE1400h and 1400PRO (neodynium). For LF the LE1400h is better, but for midbas/midrange the 1400PRO is better than any 12", 14" or 15" I have ever heard. They really are tighter, clearer and more dynamic than anything else.
Vernb

Valentin
12-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Muchas felicidades Ken

Regards from mexico city

Valentin

boputnam
12-09-2008, 03:44 PM
The design calls for crossing over at 400hz. I admit that is quite high.It struck me as so - not because of the woofer limitations, but...

:blink:

400Hz sounds perfect to me... why take the 2122H down any lower?...because I don't think I want a crossover point at 400Hz. Yuck. I'd prefer it lower, leaving that portion of the band pass unperturbed by any chance of phase problems, etc. I'd prefer that point be as low possible - I guess that's why I'm found of how JBL handled it in the 4345, crossing at 290Hz... :)

Too often I think "many" design or speculate on crossover points based almost solely upon mechanical parameters, without sufficient acknowledgement of where these are impacting the frequency response and how deleterious that might be. Crossover points are not friendly areas...

Mr. Widget
12-09-2008, 05:10 PM
...because I don't think I want a crossover point at 400Hz. Yuck. I'd prefer it lower...Very good point! I was simply basing my comment on the limitations of the 2122H... a slightly higher crossover could help it out, but you are spot on... every crossover between ~300Hz and 10KHz is a potential problem.

Widget

scott fitlin
12-09-2008, 05:31 PM
every crossover between ~300Hz and 10KHz is a potential problem.

WidgetGee, you just described almost every speaker system on the planet!

Oh, well, back to Lowthers, I guess! NOT!

:D

4313B
12-09-2008, 05:41 PM
limitations of the 2122HLike its smaller 8-inch cousin the 112/2108, the 10-inch 2122 can be used all the way down in its small subenclosure. JBL used the 112/2108 down to ~ 70 Hz in the L212 and ~ 400 Hz in the 4315. As previously pointed out by Bo JBL used the 2122 down to ~ 290 Hz in the 4344/4345.

The biggest limitations of the driver are its short voice coil resulting in a very small xMax based on distortion as opposed to mechanical constraints (xMech) and its foam surround. Under high drive levels the higher crossover frequencies would probably be preferred.

boputnam
12-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Very good point! I was simply basing my comment on the limitations of the 2122H... a slightly higher crossover could help it out, but you are spot on... every crossover between ~300Hz and 10KHz is a potential problem.I admit to being affected by my SR experiences. So often, I am tweaking the vocal mic inputs right in-and-around 400Hz either for slightly more body/warmth or to impart less room resonance from those inputs (the old "cut it out at the source" mantra...). SR mains commonly go down to approx 100Hz, or lower, so there are no undue anomalies there from any crossover. But, as I posted that I postulated the difficulties in "picking" the optimum crossover point at the upper-end of the midrange band pass. That is not trivial, either. Having said that, using something like the TD-2001/2 for the HF largely alleviates the need for a UHF driver, although I know you have found adding one did augment the extreme upper end, nicely.

Like its smaller 8-inch cousin the 112/2108, the 10-inch 2122 can be used all the way down in its small subenclosure. JBL used the 112/2108 down to ~ 70 Hz in the L212 and ~ 400 Hz in the 4315. As previously pointed out by Bo JBL used the 2122 down to ~ 290 Hz in the 4344/4345.

The biggest limitations of the driver are its short voice coil resulting in a very small xMax based on distortion as opposed to mechanical constraints (xMech) and its foam surround. Under high drive levels the higher crossover frequencies would probably be preferred.The 2122H is an incredibly important transducer, deployed properly, that's for sure. It covers a very important range, but must not be overdriven...

speakerdave
12-09-2008, 07:34 PM
. . . . The 2122H is an incredibly important transducer, deployed properly, that's for sure. It covers a very important range, but must not be overdriven...

Yeah, nice driver. I do get curious from time to time how much lower it can be used, but 2 octaves is a good range and I would think using it lower would probably compromise the exquisite midrange for which it is valued.

David

Ken Pachkowsky
12-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi all

Westlake notified me today that the 128H-1 will be used on my HR-7 system rather than the Focal's.

Any opinions on this change?

Ken

4313B
12-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Yeah, nice driver. I do get curious from time to time how much lower it can be used, but 2 octaves is a good range and I would think using it lower would probably compromise the exquisite midrange for which it is valued.Like I've mentioned many times before, it functions the same way as the 8-inch 112/2108. JBL used the 112/2108 down to ~ 70 Hz in the L212 and down to ~ 400 Hz in the 4315. Neither the 2121 or 2123 function the same way. They are both different from the 2122. The 2121 is most definitely an obsoleted design. The 2123 is nice.

Hi all

Westlake notified me today that the 128H-1 will be used on my HR-7 system rather than the Focal's.

Any opinions on this change?

KenI don't know what an HR-7 is. I do know that the 128H-1 is a 29 year old transducer design.

Allanvh5150
12-15-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't know what an HR-7 is. I do know that the 128H-1 is a 29 year old transducer design.

It may be a 29 year old design, probably older if you take when JBL started drawing it up, but oh oh oh, what a design. I have 4 of them and I couldnt be happier. I am sure that JBL think that to by still supporting them. I like the white ones better.:)

Ken Pachkowsky
12-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't know what an HR-7 is. I do know that the 128H-1 is a 29 year old transducer design.

My avitar is the HR-7

Ken

4313B
12-16-2008, 11:37 AM
My avitar is the HR-7

KenSo

JBL 128H-1's x2
JBL 2122H
TAD 2001
JBL 2403

It should be fun. I'm anxious to hear what you think about dual 128H-1's compared to your old 2245H's.
It may be a 29 year old design, probably older if you take when JBL started drawing it up, but oh oh oh, what a design. I have 4 of them and I couldnt be happier. I am sure that JBL think that to by still supporting them. I like the white ones better.:)Yeah, they worked just fine in the 120Ti.

128H-1 (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10645)

120Ti (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10620)

I am sure that JBL think that to by still supporting them.Honestly? I suspect that if your life depended on you finding at least five people at JBL who even knew what a 128H-1 was you would perish. They seem hard pressed to keep up on current product.

Allanvh5150
12-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Honestly? I suspect that if your life depended on you finding at least five people at JBL who even knew what a 128H-1 was you would perish. They seem hard pressed to keep up on current product.

It seems to be a sign of the time that we live in...:)

Ken Pachkowsky
12-16-2008, 01:51 PM
So

JBL 128H-1's x2
JBL 2122H
TAD 2001
JBL 2403

It should be fun. I'm anxious to hear what you think about dual 128H-1's compared to your old 2245H's.

Yes, thats the driver compliment. I am definately excited to hear them.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
03-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Ok, here we go......the new Westlakes are crated and ready for shipping:applaud::applaud::applaud:

I will keep you posted. I plan on taking a series of photos from un-crating to setup.

I have only one Deqx at the moment.....need two for a 4-way......I may try a Xilica XD series.....uses FIR filters like the Deqx but is a 4-way. Anyone out there tried one?

I hear the DBX 4800T is pretty good as well?

Ken

boputnam
03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
I hear the DBX 4800T is pretty good as well?Yes, you can believe what you hear - it is very good.

However, don't confuse applications - you are seeking penultimate refinement in an audiophile setting. dbx is geared for SR stuff - it is really good for that and therefore also has capabilities you may not fully need. It would sound fine, surely, but there might be better offerings (at significantly higher cost) for your setting.

"If" you go the SR route, I'd suggest you also consider the xta DP448 line. The computer interface - and PEQ power - is phenomenal and they sound amazing, but again, I think this might also be beyond what you need, and is intended for a different application (FWIW, I have a host of xta's and none of them are in the home, yet...).

Titanium Dome
03-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Since getting the Synthesis® equipment, I've been taking a crash course in BSS Audio gear. Of course, I'm no boputnam (and never will be experience-wise), but the Omnidrive FDS-366T looks like it's worth a gander, Ken. It's *only* about $3200.

(Compared to the $11k+ of the SDEC4000 combo, it seems reasonable, and it's in the DBX 4800T pricing ballpark.)

Ken Pachkowsky
03-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Yes, you can believe what you hear - it is very good.

However, don't confuse applications - you are seeking penultimate refinement in an audiophile setting. dbx is geared for SR stuff
"If" you go the SR route, I'd suggest you also consider the xta DP448 line. The computer interface - and PEQ power - is phenomenal and they sound amazing, but again, I think this might also be beyond what you need, and is intended for a different application (FWIW, I have a host of xta's and none of them are in the home, yet...).

Point taken Bo

I have another option........A Westlake HRX....if I can get the values sorted out for the filters. I have a pretty good selection of Polycarbonate 1% tol caps which are required for that crossover.

Sure would be nice not to have to buy another Deqx......although Duh!, I am half way there.:blink: and its a great solution after you learn how to tweek it all.

I am pretty excited to hear these.....hope I am not dissapointed.

PS: Me and a partner are opening a Home Theater store here in San Jose del Cabo. We will be using some Westlake products. Going to start off with only one demo room because of the times.....but hope to expand that when things turn around. Widget, you can expect a call for some product advice.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
03-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Since getting the Synthesis® equipment, I've been taking a crash course in BSS Audio gear. Of course, I'm no boputnam (and never will be experience-wise), but the Omnidrive FDS-366T looks like it's worth a gander, Ken. It's *only* about $3200.

(Compared to the $11k+ of the SDEC4000 combo, it seems reasonable, and it's in the DBX 4800T pricing ballpark.)

Yo Domester

Yes, and the KT products are prolly worth a look as well.

Ken

boputnam
03-06-2009, 07:13 PM
...the Omnidrive FDS-366T looks like it's worth a gander, Ken. Yup - they're mighty fine. They lack the number of I/O filters of their peers, but still very good. The BSS offerings have an odd topology - they offer a maximum number of filters, so if you use a bunch on the outputs (say, to tune a specific box) you will have only a few remaining to use on the inputs to tune to the room. Kinda weird (to me)...

Yes, and the KT products are prolly worth a look as well.+1. I've had the DN9848 for many years. It is uber powerful, and very, very good sounding - right on-par with the xta stuff (same design team, from what I understand). I never have been able to get the 9848 to link with my laptop - the xta did it right away. FWIW.

Of course, I'm no boputnam (and never will be experience-wise)...Aw, shucks, Doug - that's just means I've made plenty more mistakes than you! :rotfl:

Titanium Dome
03-06-2009, 08:53 PM
As my ol' dad would say "You make enough mistakes with the right attitude and eventually you'll be the smartest guy around." :p

I would never underestimate the value of what you've learned, even if in my naivete I don't agree (or understand). :yes:

boputnam
03-08-2009, 12:08 PM
As my ol' dad would say "You make enough mistakes with the right attitude and eventually you'll be the smartest guy around." :pWell, I'm sure working hard at that!

But, as far as smarts in the SR field, Oldmics is the real McCoy - he's done this fer reals. Me? I'm just a hobbyist (until lately... ;)).

Ken Pachkowsky
03-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi all

Well, this is a little embarrassing to say the least.

I couple of months ago I was talking to someone at Westlake Audio. One thing led to another and it was mentioned that a pair of HR7’s had been ordered some time back and the deal had fallen through. I was told that the pair had been collecting dust in the work shop for some time. I mentioned that I had seen them (collecting dust) during our tour in January of 2007. In fact I had taken a couple photos of them.

As a result of that phone call, Glenn was made aware I would buy them if a price could be agreed on. In December I was told I could have them for a very good price. I was told they were not completed yet but could be ready in February. I arranged for payment and the deal was struck. Turns out, not completed was a bit of a misnomer as they were complete but had been stripped of a couple of drivers that had to be replaced.

As you are all aware I have been considering different xover and am combinations for the last few weeks. As a result of my researching different amp combo’s etc, I have been asking for additional specs on the HR7 system. It was discovered this week that I had misunderstood the original offer in terms of the series or model number of the HR7 system. Turns out the HR7 in question was the older VF series and not the Tower series…….which is the only HR7 I was familiar with. No one picked up on the fact that I had the wrong model in mind.

I waited all day yesterday for pictures of the HR7VF as I had never seen them before. Manny was kind enough to open the crates, So here they are and yes I am going forward.

I want to apologize for misleading all of you…..however, it was an honest mistake.

PS: The Towers are definitely more refined looking……..oh well. I am sure these will sound great. (Julie actually likes them more cause they are not as high)
30”W X 45”H X 20”D

Ken

4313B
03-13-2009, 03:26 PM
(Julie actually likes them more cause they are not as high):yes:

pos
03-13-2009, 04:14 PM
They are really nice, congratulations!
And those 128H look much nicer than the Audax you would have on the newer model!

Andyoz
03-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I think they are fantastic.

What are you paying if you don't mind me asking.

mech986
03-14-2009, 04:07 AM
Hi Ken,

Nice to hear from you again. I guess you're gonna just hafta make do with them!! :applaud: However, they look super and I suspect like most Westlakes, they'll do the job well.

You could always bury them in the ground and use the mid for home plate though...:p JK!

Hope they arrive in good shape.

Regards,

Bart

Doc Mark
03-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Hi, Ken,

WOW! Those are truly beautiful, and I'll bet they are sonically beautiful, as well! Congratulations on your new Westlakes! I'll look forward to your report, after you've had a chance to enjoy them for a while, and want to share your comments on them. Again, well done, and thanks for letting us see your new Babies!! :applaud: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

spkrman57
03-14-2009, 08:12 AM
What are the LF drivers?

Regards, Ron

Ken Pachkowsky
03-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi Ken,

You could always bury them in the ground and use the mid for home plate though...:p JK!

Regards,

Bart

Yeh, no kidding...it does look like home plate.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
03-14-2009, 09:35 AM
What are the LF drivers?

Regards, Ron

They are 128h-1's

Ken

BMWCCA
03-14-2009, 09:49 AM
So these are a re-box conglomeration of 4412, 4343, and L222 Disco parts? :D

Wonder why they didn't use LE120H-1? What are the crossover points?

Very cool, actually. Hope to hear your listening impressions soon. :thmbsup:

Ken Pachkowsky
03-14-2009, 10:56 AM
So these are a re-box conglomeration of 4412, 4343, and L222 Disco parts? :D

Very cool, actually. Hope to hear your listening impressions soon. :thmbsup:

Yes, like all Westlakes, the components themselves represent a very small part of the overall cost.

Ken

Titanium Dome
03-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Well, I see someone has a new avatar! :D

Good luck with them. It's always a good start when Julie likes something.

Ken Pachkowsky
03-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, I see someone has a new avatar! :D

Good luck with them. It's always a good start when Julie likes something.

Spoken like someone who is married...;)

Ken

timc
03-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Beautiful speakers. Incredible finish.

Hope you get satisfied with them :)

-Tim

John
04-17-2009, 06:26 PM
I think they are fantastic.

What are you paying if you don't mind me asking.

Well I guess they do. :p

Ken Pachkowsky
04-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Well I guess they do. :p

Hi John

I meant to get back to him on that question. Yes, I can't say what I paid but I did get a fare deal. Needless to say they were not cheap. I truly hope these will be my last major speaker investment.:bs:

Nice to see you John. How is your HR1 project coming along?

Ken

Titanium Dome
04-17-2009, 09:50 PM
H I truly hope these will be my last major speaker investment.:bs:

Ken

:rotfl: You're kidding, I know.

richluvsound
04-17-2009, 10:46 PM
WOW !

I'm in the right footsteps I guess.

What CD lurks behind that sexy chunk of walnut ?

Rich

Ken Pachkowsky
04-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Ok, I a leaving Alberta on Friday and head back by SUV to LA. I will pick up the new Westlakes on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week and head back to Los Cabos.

Week after next I should be setting them up at home.

Can anyone say "Chomping at the bit":D

PS: Got together and had a nice chat with Bo on my way through SFO.

Thanks for breakfast Bo!;)

Ken

richluvsound
04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi Ken,

got any suggestions ?

Were the new speakers your design or is this a new production model ?

could you list the components or would that be secret ?

Rich

Ken Pachkowsky
04-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi Ken,

got any suggestions ?

Were the new speakers your design or is this a new production model ?

could you list the components or would that be secret ?

Rich

Yes, we will discuss the options.

The components are listed elsewhere in this thread.

Ken

boputnam
04-21-2009, 01:34 PM
PS: Got together and had a nice chat with Bo on my way through SFO.Lucky bit of timing, that! Glad you pm'd and let me know you were passing through.

Great to see you, and xoxo to the Jules...

Andyoz
04-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Hi John

I meant to get back to him on that question. Yes, I can't say what I paid but I did get a fare deal. Needless to say they were not cheap.

That's cool...don't know why I asked to be honest as I know it's LOTS... :D

Ken Pachkowsky
05-04-2009, 11:32 AM
HI all

Ok, I got back to Cabo late yesterday afternoon. We ended up having to take the speakers out of the crates and loading them in the back of the SUV.

Only 1/2 inch to spare!, which turned out to be a good thing because they wedged in tight.

Getting them up the stairs at home was a whole other issue....good thing I have a healthy heart. :(:(:):D. It took 4 guys to haul the 350lb cabs up the stairs.

Only a couple of minor bumps.:applaud:

I will post a series of photos soon. Lets start with this one.

Ken

Chas
05-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Ken, congrats - those are sexy looking beasts. :)

Watch out for your back!

richluvsound
05-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi Ken,

I can see that smile on your face from here:applaud:
I look forward to the photo and written report.

Rich

Ken Pachkowsky
05-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi All

Here I am setting up the dual Deqx system.

The Master PDC has a Digital Output module added to it. The key here is to set it so its output is both digital and analog. The configuration is a bi-amp system with 400hz and below going to analog outputs L2 and R2 while the rest of the signal or 400hz to 20,000hz is sent out the digital output #3.

The Slave PDC then gets Digital Output #3 from the Master PDC into its main digital input. The Slave PDC is setup to Triamp and sends out the analog output to the appropriate outputs and amps. I hope this makes sense to you Deqx owners out there?

The Master PDC controls the iput selection and volume for both Deqx units.

I used all Linear Phase slopes to begin with......see if I like them. Yes, its much easier if you have 2 laptops to use at the same time. One for the Master and the other for the Slave.

If anyone needs help with setting up a dual Deqx system....I would be happy to help. I got lots of practice back in my HR1 days.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
05-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Hi Ken,
I can see that smile on your face from here:applaud:
I look forward to the photo and written report.

Rich

HI Rich

Yep, pretty exciting.

We will see how it all goes.....

BBSM8's will be leaving soon....

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
05-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi all

Ok, I have the new system up and going. Unfortunately, I have a problem with my modified Deqx unit. It has what the factory suspects is a grounding problem on the main PCB. Its on its way to Denver for repair.

That being said I am currently running the system 3-way with the other Deqx. Even as a 3-way they sound great. The depth of the soundstage is not what it was with the Boulder/HR1 combo but I am sure it will improve with the addition of the second Deqx and running it as a 4-way.

The Boulder amps are way out of my budget right now so I may never get that wide deep soundstage that I enjoyed in the past.

PS: We are moving to a new home at the end of the month.

Ken

richluvsound
05-14-2009, 12:20 PM
congrats on the new mistresses Ken :D

Ken Pachkowsky
09-27-2009, 03:12 PM
I was just asked why I had not done a complete review of my new HR7’s.

Well, the fact is I have not had a whole lot of time to mess with them since picking them up. We have had a busy summer working on our business. Yes, it sucks by the way….I sure hope this economy improves or we will be heading back north sooner than later.

For those of you that know me, it comes as no surprise Julie and I are closet Americans. I am pleased to announce that we have been approved for Green Cards. Its taken years to get this far…..only a couple of months to go! To say we are excited is an understatement.
We can hardly wait to apply for citizenship.

Ok, what are my thoughts on the new Westlakes?

I like them very much. The 128-H is a fantastic bass driver. A pair of them per side is even better. They seem to be a little faster than the 2235H which makes sense based on their mass. They have a very tight and deep punch. The bass performance rivals that of my brothers BBSM15 which is a very respected system for its bass performance. The BBSM15 uses the same 2235H that the HR-1 used but due to the cabinet differences it is slightly more dynamic and crisp in the bass department.

For those of you lucky enough to have a system that uses a 2122H I don’t think I have to sell you on that driver. The only driver I have heard that compares to it for voicing is the Gauss 3184B.

The 2426J does an admirable job on the wood horn. I am sure a 2001 Tad would be a great upgrade but alas…..no money honey…

The 2403 does a great job on the ultra high freq.

The system uses the following amps and processing.

4x Monarchy SM-70’s Class A
One of these is used to drive the 2403’s left and right
One is used to drive the 2426J’s left and right
Two are run bridged with each running a 2122H
A Crown K2 driving the dual 128-H’s on each side.

Preamp and Crossover duties are handled by dual Deqx 2.6P’s and the Optional Digital Out board.

All sources go into an Audio Authority Digital Switch and are routed through an upgraded Benchmark Dac. The output from the Benchmark is then routed into the digital input on the Master Deqx.

Believe it or not the system is even quieter than the HR-1 Boulder system was. That was a surprise bonus as I am running unbalanced outputs.
So, what’s the down side…

I definitely miss the dynamics of the large 26” wood horn of the HR-1. Recordings that have nicely layered and recorded backing vocals show this shortcoming. Now, is it drastic? No, but you sure miss it once you have had it. Part of this could be the amplification as well. The Boulder 102AE is an amplifier that should never be sold if you’re lucky enough to find one. I really kick my ass for that mistake. Damn, I had 2 of them! The Monarchy is as nice as any other amp I have tried short of the Boulder AE series. One day, I will run Boulders on the high end again…..next time I won’t be stupid enough to sell them. That being said……I wished I had changed out the 500AE’s for a K2 for bass duty on the HR-1’s much sooner.

I hope you found this informative. As I move along through this quest there are plenty of guys that know much more about this stuff than I do. However, I have been very fortunate in having owned some pretty awesome systems and equipment over the years.

Be well everyone….and stay healthy….some of us are getting to the age where we are loosing friends.

Here is a photo of the current system.

NOTE: I have a horrible reflection off the patio doors that requires the blankets for serious listening.

Ken

demon
10-03-2009, 02:35 AM
thanks ken for your review!

i really appreciate insight like that on this rare golden-age-of-monster-monitor-kind-of-dinosaur-speaker. more of this, please!!
looks like a great system.
oh, and congrats on green card, too!

cheers,
mikey

Ken Pachkowsky
10-03-2009, 10:04 AM
thanks ken for your review!

i really appreciate insight like that on this rare golden-age-of-monster-monitor-kind-of-dinosaur-speaker. more of this, please!!
looks like a great system.
oh, and congrats on green card, too!

cheers,
mikey

Mikey

Your welcome. Yes, my brief experience trying to help Westlake setup new dealers confirmed what you just said. The cabinet styles on much of the line are dated. Retailers want smaller, sleek boxes made of some exotic composite.

OH, yeh.....if it sounded good that would be nice as well.:banghead:

Run of the mill performance at a cheap price.....thats what most want.

All kidding a-side. A small speaker can't do what these and other large format monitors can. Physics won't permit it. That being said....maybe there is something out there.....but I have not heard it. I would love to have something that was easy to move around.