PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive speakers?

Donald
11-30-2008, 05:53 PM
http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/Model_D/C_Theater_System-121.aspx

$148000.

Gee, which works better with these? 18 or 16 gauge lamp cord? :)

Ducatista47
11-30-2008, 07:32 PM
I think Wilson has more expensive models, but to compare to another Home Theater system, JBL Synthesis offers a kit with three Everest II units, surrounds, subs and a turnkey electronics package. I think it is more than $300,000 US. I bet it sounds better, too. :) It is a THX compliant system, no less.

(Edit: Maybe not quite so much. From Mr. Greg Timbers about two years ago
We would love to build real product for the US, but there aren't enough people who would actually buy high end product to make it a money making venture. We do, however, offer really fine product through our Systhesis dealers. The Everest is no exception. We have a package system of 3 Everest, 4 18" subs and 8 SK2-1000's plus some really nice electronics for a cool $250k.Clark

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/system_overview.aspx?prod=SYN-EVEREST&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

Hope you enjoy this photo of my living room. ;)

brutal
12-01-2008, 12:07 PM
27th in line according to these guys.

http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/speakerlist.htm

jblsound
12-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Some of those $100K+ speakers are down right ugly. I wouldn't be surprised that they're really not worth 1/2 of the their price, compared to some other high end, though cheaper, speakers.

That pic of the Everest II, has never made any sense to me. As that's the pic you get when you click on the Everest Synthesis HT. Doesn't much look like a HT.

timc
12-01-2008, 02:36 PM
That pic of the Everest II, has never made any sense to me. As that's the pic you get when you click on the Everest Synthesis HT. Doesn't much look like a HT.

I think you really see one front and one rear channel of the HT system. That makes sense.

-Tim

Titanium Dome
12-01-2008, 03:01 PM
27th in line according to these guys.

http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/speakerlist.htm

That list demonstrates what a real bargain JBL and Revel speakers are compared to some of that bizarre gear. I checked some of the links and mostly I was underwhelmed by what I read. There's a lot more fable spinning going on than technical prowess with a number of these units.

For 60% of the base price of the cheapest speakers in that list, you can get the JBL Everest II DD66000 pair, or for 22% you can get the Revel Ultima2 Salon pair.

While some of those high-priced speakers are quite amazing, they're not that amazing, especially considering you could bring in professional musicians and have them perform live in your home twice a month for a year for less than some of those speakers and all the other stuff you'd have to buy to actually use them.

jblsound
12-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I think you really see one front and one rear channel of the HT system. That makes sense.

-Tim
No, because the Everest Synthesis system you get 3 DD66000, for the LCRs and other speakers for the surrounds.

That's just a stereo pair, that's really spread out in a strange room.

Mr. Widget
12-01-2008, 08:06 PM
That list demonstrates what a real bargain JBL and Revel speakers are compared to some of that bizarre gear. :yes:

Widget

Robh3606
12-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Would you believe this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Project-Array-1400-ARRAY_W0QQitemZ180309170809QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpea kers_Subwoofers?hash=item180309170809&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

What a deal

Rob:)

4313B
12-01-2008, 09:32 PM
That's absurd that they didn't get any bids.

Robh3606
12-01-2008, 09:41 PM
People are dropping money on antiques it seems.

Rob:)

4313B
12-02-2008, 02:44 AM
As I've stated numerous times, JBL knows its markets. ;)

JBLRaiser
12-02-2008, 06:20 AM
As I've stated numerous times, JBL knows its markets. ;)

commercials on national TV for JBL. Have they done any? It seems if they advertised during music awards shows, it might generate some interest. I wonder what people in the upper income class listen to. Any stats on that?

timc
12-02-2008, 07:58 AM
I don't know about the US, but here in Norway the rich people tend to buy speakers from B&W, Burmester, Audio Physics, Martin Logan and Dali.

Why? Probably because theese brands have distributors with an exellent marketing department.

When i mention JBL to the average consumer, they associate it with colored rock'n'roll sound that has no relation to HiFi whatsoever. Revel is not much markeded here at all. I have never heard one myself. A friend of mine just got a pair of Ultima Gem 2's. Will have to listen to them some day. He is very happy.

-Tim

jcrobso
12-05-2008, 11:56 AM
commercials on national TV for JBL. Have they done any? It seems if they advertised during music awards shows, it might generate some interest. I wonder what people in the upper income class listen to. Any stats on that?

However Bo$e spends most of it's money on advertising and very little on making quality speakers.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull" ;) John

jblsound
12-05-2008, 05:51 PM
However Bo$e spends most of it's money on advertising and very little on making quality speakers.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull" ;) John
Good speakers are like good wine, they dont need to advertise.

You see wines like Boone's Farm, Galo, and other totally discussing wines advertised, but you won't see Robert Mondavi wine advertised. And for good reason, people in the know about wines, know what to buy.

Its the same with speakers, not counting the young, stupid morons that think JBL is only what's been seen at BB the last few years.