PDA

View Full Version : Dolby Decoding question, pls help

JBLAddict
11-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi all,

my question is pretty basic, if a new component such as a DVD player or DVR has Dolby Digital/DTS processors built-in, will that pass through my ProLogic only (1994) receiver for digital 5 channel HT and DTS music, or do I need a new receiver to hear the effect?

I understand w/o a sub I won't get the 5.1 part but Someone called ProLogic an "analog hack", so are my five speakers (F-LR, C, R-LR) limited to the receivers capability?

Thanks much

hjames
11-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi all,

my question is pretty basic, if a new component such as a DVD player or DVR has Dolby Digital/DTS processors built-in, will that pass through my ProLogic only (1994) receiver for digital 5 channel HT and DTS music, or do I need a new receiver to hear the effect?

I understand w/o a sub I won't get the 5.1 part but Someone called ProLogic an "analog hack", so are my five speakers (F-LR, C, R-LR) limited to the receivers capability?

Thanks much

It depends on how your receiver is configured. My DVD player actually has 6 distinct RCA jacks for the 6 channel outputs from the DVD source. It can decode DTS or Dolby and send the distinct Audio channels to discrete rca connectors on the receiver, and I pick an input selection named 6 direct (or 8 direct) and skip the older processors of the receiver and use the newer circuits of the DVD player.

Or I can just use the Optical output and let the receiver decode whatever its capable of decoding ...