PDA

View Full Version : Samson D 2400 - With D 1500. Comments???

Loud & Clear
10-24-2008, 12:45 PM
I am thinking of going this route in my system. I have a Soundcraftsmen AE-2000 right now. It is unable to deal with the subsonics & ultrasonics as far as eq/analyzer goes. I'd like to get more detailed in those areas, and have the instrumentation to see what is going on in the system, as well as being able to have more freedom of adjustment. I'm just questioning the sound quality. If you will note, there is an analoge module card you can plug into the eq, or spectrum. In my case it would be the EQ. It is a Burr/Brown ADDA set up check this link: http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1863&brandID=2
Here are a couple video's to ponder. Your oppinions are valuable to me... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3m1GIvOWvk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuMnKJxxxyI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muitzvrCf5w&feature=related

scott fitlin
10-24-2008, 04:23 PM
This Samson 2500 EQ, what is the price?

They look ok, I havent heard them, I have heard older, Samson EQ,s they weren't bad, for their price, pretty nice actually.

For around $500, definitely UNDER $600, I CAN wholeheartedly reccommend The DBX-2231, 1/3oct, 31 band stereo EQ! I have one, keep it as a back up spare, in case of whatever, IT SOUNDS GOOOOD, takes the signal without early clipping, and distortion, has some NICE features, and IMO, rerpesents REALLY good Bang For The Buck!

Then, one can get a computer RTA program to show u whats goin on in your system.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying DON'T get the Samsons, IF you have heard them, and feel u MUST have them, thats ok.

I'm merely telling u about something I have, THAT I KNOW WORKS!

Loud & Clear
10-24-2008, 04:31 PM
This Samson 2500 EQ, what is the price?

They look ok, I havent heard them, I have heard older, Samson EQ,s they weren't bad, for their price, pretty nice actually.

For around $500, definitely UNDER $600, I CAN wholeheartedly reccommend The DBX-2231, 1/3oct, 31 band stereo EQ! I have one, keep it as a back up spare, in case of whatever, IT SOUNDS GOOOOD, takes the signal without early clipping, and distortion, has some NICE features, and IMO, rerpesents REALLY good Bang For The Buck!

Then, one can get a computer RTA program to show u whats goin on in your system.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying DON'T get thed Samsons, IF you have heard them, and feel u MUST have them, thats ok.

I'm merely telling u about something I have, THAT I KNOW WORKS!
Thanks Scotty, You can usually get the Samson Eq for around $200.00, and the Analyzer for around $250 on the bay...

10-4 on the DBX, I've hear good thing's about them... And nope, haven't heard the Samson's... :)

Ken Pachkowsky
10-30-2008, 08:37 PM
I own a 3500 with the 400.00 upgraded Burr Brown bal boards.

The upgraded boards turn this into a very nice EQ. I don't use it now since getting a new Deqx but would be happy to pass it along to a site member at a good price.

Ken

Titanium Dome
10-31-2008, 07:23 AM
Hola, Ken. ¿Cómo va?

Loud & Clear, Ken's always been a fastidious EQ guy, and his gear is usually the best in a given price range. Plus he makes reasonable deals when he moves stuff out. You really should PM him if you're interested in what he's got.

4313B
10-31-2008, 07:27 AM
I don't use it now since getting a new DeqxLong way from an old 5234A eh? :p

Ken Pachkowsky
10-31-2008, 09:10 AM
Long way from an old 5234A eh? :p

To say the least...:D

Ken Pachkowsky
10-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Hola, Ken. ¿Cómo va?

I am good.....and you?:)

These Eq's have some very interesting features. The most usefull being the ability to adjust from a broad or narrow Parametric to a Graphic type filter.

I can appreciate that Sampson is not known for high quality components but like the Phonic PAA2and PAA3, they did a very good job on this series. The optional A102 Balanced Boards (very hard to find) make a huge difference in over all quality. They cost more than the D-3500 itself.

Prior to getting my latest Deqx I used a Benchmark Dac1 as a preamp. The balanced outs from the Dac1 were routed through the 3500 and on to the Marsh 400 amps. Very clean and dynamic.

For the price.....you would not be dissapointed.

Oh, and this one has a black face plate rather than the ugly blue.

Ken

boputnam
11-05-2008, 10:09 AM
..I'm just questioning the sound quality. Stick with that thought...

...You can usually get the Samson Eq for around $200.00...Like I said.

I can appreciate that Sampson is not known for high quality components... The optional A102 Balanced Boards (very hard to find) make a huge difference in over all quality. They cost more than the D-3500 itself.There is a reason for that.

For the types of questions you are asking and the sonic concerns you (seem to) have, Samson is not where you want to end-up. Apologies to my buddy Ken, I'm certainly not trying to kill his sale, but at this price-point you are making a costly ;) mistake.

scott fitlin
11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Bo, I have to agree that Samson is NOT on my list of things to buy.

The thing of it is, though, I heard a Samson, and I was surprised at how the cheap EQ sounded pretty good. It isnt your KT,s or my Whites, or any other $2000+ Eq, but, few years back this guy bought a system for his Himalaya ride in Coney Island. Originally they put a Rane EQ in the system, and it crapped out, so the store didnt have anymore, and they gave one of these Samsons, and a few hundred dollars back!

And im laughing because to me, WTF, it seems like he's going to Toy R Us for audio gear.

But, I kid you not, it sounded better than the considerably more expensive Rane.

Yes, Samson is VERY entry level gear, but it sounded kind of decent. If I had to pick an area where they REALLY lack, it isnt built like a tank, Its not a roadworthy piece.

I still say he got it out of a box of CrackerJacks, but, it sounded OK, NOT phenomenal but ok.

Ken Pachkowsky
11-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Stick with that thought...

Like I said.

There is a reason for that.

For the types of questions you are asking and the sonic concerns you (seem to) have, Samson is not where you want to end-up. Apologies to my buddy Ken, I'm certainly not trying to kill his sale, but at this price-point you are making a costly ;) mistake.

No need to apologize Bo. I would not promote the D3500 as a final solution. I would however have no problem promoting it as an alternative to Rane, DBX etc EQ,s. This member was not looking for State Of The Art performance. I think he has a limited budget. Nice to see you.

Ken

Loud & Clear
11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Wups, Sorry I haven't been around for awhile. This thread had no responces, so I haven't been by. Ken, I have a Samson D 2500 comming, it should be here today. Like I said, I just tuned into this thread, or I may have grabbed the 3500...

I have the D 1500 analyzer now. I got it for $145.00 shipped. I hooked it up, and after it warmed up, I notice the high freq. leds, and the input leds at full scale. Even with No signal in. I'm just using the inputs right now. Being an electronics tech. I figured it was picking up RF. I removed the power supply board, and sure enough, a bad solder joint on a ceramic disc capacitor that was feeding the display board. I thought while I had it down might as well disassemble everything. I found nearly 500 leds on board. 416 of which are surface mount. I don't like the green leds going all the way to the top. I need yellow, and red. So's to make sense of the display from a distance. I believe the leds are 1206's. I will order more smt leds, and replace all the greens above 0db. I counted up transistors etc. I also looked at the quality of manufacture. Yes, it wouldn't be very road worthy, but other than that, the build quality is very good. I did notice that 3 of the 5 heatsinks on the PS board, ran hotter than h-ll. I will replace these, with some decent sinks that I will build. So that was the hot problem that caused the bad solder joint. I will also replace all the electolytics on the PS board (They are 85* units) with panny FC's. I will also disassemble the D 2500 on arrival, and make any upgrades that need to be made. I will need to purchase the a102 burr brown board as well.

I appreciate everybody's input. I will also post my results when I get everything straitened out on these units. I've been working on a bunch of Soundcraftsmen gear lately. It was refreshing to work on the samson unit. It is more repair friendly, at least to me... ;) I don't mind working with surface mount devices, and I love being able to unplug each board. Those Soundcraftsmen are a rats nest of solid faded wire. They just stuff the excess wire where ever they can ;). I really have liked BGW's equipment. I've used it for decades. It's good rugged gear, with great sound quality (excellent with a little work). I will post a recent rebuild I did on a BGW 103 preamp in this forum. Now I'm rambling... :D

Thanks for all the help guy's. I appreciate it. Is this deqx unit I'm hearing about Behringer???

Tom