PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha F1040 mono 2-way to 4-way Frequency Dividing Network or Crossover

mech986
10-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Has anyone had experience with this unit? It's from '78-82 and looks like a pretty robust and interesting unit. Here's the owner's manual:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/signal/F1040E.pdf

I'm thinking of using it to bi-or tri-amp the 4315's or 4340-type speakers I have, or add in a large sub with the 3 way L300's/4333's.

I've been collecting a bunch of electronic or active crossovers (Dahlquist DQ-LP1, BGW model 10, JBL 5234 and 5235, and the simpler Yamaha F1030). Haven't gotten into any of the digital versions yet, just playing around here so far.

I have an opportunity to get some at a pretty good price so let me know!

Bart

Here's a pic:

SMKSoundPro
10-24-2008, 11:19 AM
You should be very happy with it. I have all of the matching yamaha amps of that period and was always wanting to have a couple of these to complete the look.

Let us know if you like it. Your's are the only ears that matter in this one.

Respectfully,

Scotty.

johnaec
10-24-2008, 11:25 AM
After looking at the specs for that Yamaha, personally, I'd pass, unless using it mainly for live sound, which it's obviously designed for. First - all the frequencies appear to be fixed/switched. If I want 80hz for sub crossover, it's not there - 'nearest looks to be 70hz. It looks like they're all this way, which might have been acceptable 25 years ago but questionable today.

Second, it looks like it's only set up for +4dB sensitivity, which is where most pro gear, (live sound), runs. Home and stereo type stuff usually runs around -10dB, which means you're much more likely to get extra noise when running at stereo levels, (though many find noise low enough that it's not always an issue).

And dang - there was a 3rd thing I was going to mention, but forgot it - maybe later... Of course, if you can try one out for next to nothing, go for it - you'll always learn something.

John