PDA

View Full Version : Active Crossovers

elwood127
10-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey guys, I was reading up on active crossovers and would welcome some input. For those of us that don't have the experience to build exacting static Xovers, would this be a good way to go for DIY cabinets? If so, do the static Xovers installed need to be remove? Do you know of any particular models that work well? Is a preamp needed? Will there be 3 sets of speaker wires to each speaker? Thanks. Brian:blink:

doodlebug
10-18-2008, 05:39 PM
You might want to check this separate section (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=66)out right here at LH....

Cheers,

David

Tweak48
10-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Hey guys, I was reading up on active crossovers and would welcome some input. For those of us that don't have the experience to build exacting static Xovers, would this be a good way to go for DIY cabinets?

It can work very well.

If so, do the static Xovers installed need to be remove?

Not necessarily. I biamped my L-300s with an active 2-way crossover, using the internernal network for the mids and HF.

Is a preamp needed? Will there be 3 sets of speaker wires to each speaker?

Many active crossover networks will put out plenty of voltage to drive power amps. I didn't use one (preamp) for a long time; just a pecision stepped attenuator.

Two sets for bi; three sets for tri.

I got two questions for you:

1. What kind of system are you trying to build?
2. Is it still possible to get a steak at the Jolley Roger bar and resturaunt then next time I'm through Evanston?

The Porter brothers (Dennis and i forgot the other guys name) were some of my best hi-fi dealers in Wyoming years ago. Moved a lot of h/k, Ortfon and MoFi for me. They had hi-fi stores in Evanston, Rock Springs, and Jackson. I think they still run firework stands now.

So much for high end audio.

elwood127
10-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey Tweak, you must be talking about that old hifi shop under the old town hall back in the 80's. Daryl Porter is who you are trying to remember. They own Porter Fireworks and liquor store now. Hell of a combination. And install windows at Deru's glass. To address your other question (system), I've got a 70's Technics amp (40 watts), 4 L26's (only 2 hooked up for rears) and two diy cabs with Le14A's and L100 tweets and mids w/ a L110 xover. They sound great but how great is debateable. I thought an active xover might give me a chance to dial them in. Been looking at the DBX 234XL but what the hell do I know. It seems that leaveing the passive xover would defeat the active one.

elwood127
10-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Sorry, that place has been 3 different resturants a kids club and a disco which have all failed. Ferd, the owner you're thinking about is the Wonder Bread man now. Bonricos, the bar/ steakhouse between Evanston and Kemmerer moved onto Front st. Next to VFW bar and is the place for big meat. You wouldn't recognise this area now. Dozens of homes and apartments going up. Oil booming again. Taco Bell, life is good. Brian