PDA

View Full Version : L110 specs

infinityQ2
10-14-2008, 03:55 PM
At JBL home audio product support, under detailed product info, the L110s' had an MSRP of $513 each, is that accurate? and if so why such a lousy resale value, (average $300 Pair) The L65s' MSRP was $396 each and I've seen them on ebay upwards of $1500. Is the L65 that much better???

4313B
10-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Is the L65 that much better???Um, no.

The best thing to do with an L55/L65, being that it is an end table, is to replace the baffle and use it as a subwoofer. Set the L110 or any other really nice "bookshelf" loudspeaker on top.

Or you could just take the $1,500 for them and make them someone else's problem. :)

Regis
10-14-2008, 05:16 PM
It isn't that the L-65 is 'better'. It is because the L-65 has the vaunted and desirable 077 slot tweeter. Also, the L-65 has a pretty powerful 12" woofer... But.... the L-110 is a very accurate, very clean sounding speaker. It has adequate bass, but don't expect it to shake the house either. Pair the L-110 up with a quality powered subwoofer or two and you will have a very nice sounding system for far less than what those guys are paying for a pair of L-65's (and yes, I've owned the L-65).

4313B
10-14-2008, 05:20 PM
It is because the L-65 has the vaunted and desirable 077 slot tweeter.Exactly! Part out those old L65's for 077's and L220's for L94's (and 076's for those who think they look even better than the 077's) so we can use them in killer custom 4344, 4345 and 4355 type systems. :yes:

Regis
10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Exactly! Part out those old L65's for 077's and L220's for L94's (and 076's for those who think they look even better than the 077's) so we can use them in killer custom 4344, 4345 and 4355 type systems. :yes:

Just don't burn the wood inside :D. Actually, I am looking for a pair of L-65 cabs, as my little brother, still has the original pair I purchased 30 years ago. Unfortunately, the cabs have suffered in their wanderings through my family and now, I'd like to resurrect them, just for giggles...

4313B
10-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Just don't burn the wood inside :D. Actually, I am looking for a pair of L-65 cabs, as my little brother, still has the original pair I purchased 30 years ago. Unfortunately, the cabs have suffered in their wanderings through my family and now, I'd like to resurrect them, just for giggles...Maybe we could get someone to post the exact dimensions so we could build some (or maybe they've already been posted somewhere in the forum). I've got a pair of L65 grilles and that's good enough reason for me to build a pair of the boxes.

CheeseGrits
10-15-2008, 08:10 AM
I've got a pair of L110s and a pair of 4410s, and I've been itching to a/b them. Anyone have any thoughts on how this might go?

LRBacon
10-15-2008, 08:27 AM
At JBL home audio product support, under detailed product info, the L110s' had an MSRP of $513 each, is that accurate? and if so why such a lousy resale value, (average $300 Pair) The L65s' MSRP was $396 each and I've seen them on ebay upwards of $1500. Is the L65 that much better???

I think they were around $400+ each.

Larry

mikebake
10-15-2008, 09:12 AM
I've got a pair of L110s and a pair of 4410s, and I've been itching to a/b them. Anyone have any thoughts on how this might go?
Poorly.

CheeseGrits
10-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Poorly.

Do you mean to say that the 4410 will outshine the L110? I mean, how could the comparison go "poorly"?

LRBacon
10-15-2008, 01:32 PM

Give it a whirl and let us know.

Larry

infinityQ2
10-15-2008, 04:43 PM
It isn't that the L-65 is 'better'. It is because the L-65 has the vaunted and desirable 077 slot tweeter. Also, the L-65 has a pretty powerful 12" woofer... But.... the L-110 is a very accurate, very clean sounding speaker. It has adequate bass, but don't expect it to shake the house either. Pair the L-110 up with a quality powered subwoofer or two and you will have a very nice sounding system for far less than what those guys are paying for a pair of L-65's (and yes, I've owned the L-65).

O.k. this may be a stupid question but how do I hook a sub to a pioneer sx-1250, it has no sub out, if I use speaker level I will need a crossover. Also, wont that deminish power to the 110s'. I just don't get how to efficiently hook a sub, passive or powered to a receiver with no sub-out. On my D.D. home theater I get outstanding low frequencies especially when in digital mode, I did try to use my home theater sub with the pioneer using speaker level and it souded horrible, the 110s' had better bass, and I'm using a janis sub with a 15" woofer. WHAT am I doing wrong???

infinityQ2
10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Um, no.

The best thing to do with an L55/L65, being that it is an end table, is to replace the baffle and use it as a subwoofer. Set the L110 or any other really nice "bookshelf" loudspeaker on top.

Or you could just take the $1,500 for them and make them someone else's problem. :)

what do you mean baffle, are you saying get rid of the HF and mid drivers??

Regis
10-15-2008, 05:30 PM
I'll take a crack at it. If it's a powered sub, try using one of the signal outputs. I'm not sure if you can use the pre-amp output out of your reciever or not. The guys at Audiokarma or maybe even here can help. For a non-powered sub (no built-in amp), I don't see why you could'nt use channel B on the Pioneer to drive the sub. If it's a sealed box, it should be pretty efficient and not take a whole lot of power to make it comparable to the L-110's,. but then the question begs to ask, if the efficiency of the sub, matches the efficiency of the L-110's? If you could control channel A output and Channel B output separately, yeah, you could (some older quad recievers had multiple volume knobs), but most of the vintage stereo recievers have only one volume control.

Definitely a tough question. For me? I ran my powered subs off've my extra pre-amp output on my integrated amp (it had two sets of pre-amp outputs, one was XLR and the other was RCA).

O.k. this may be a stupid question but how do I hook a sub to a pioneer sx-1250, it has no sub out, if I use speaker level I will need a crossover. Also, wont that deminish power to the 110s'. I just don't get how to efficiently hook a sub, passive or powered to a receiver with no sub-out. On my D.D. home theater I get outstanding low frequencies especially when in digital mode, I did try to use my home theater sub with the pioneer using speaker level and it souded horrible, the 110s' had better bass, and I'm using a janis sub with a 15" woofer. WHAT am I doing wrong???

Fred Sanford
10-15-2008, 07:06 PM
If he's using the Janis that I had, it's a 15" cab with no crossover, and a crossover/power amp in another unit. He'd need an output from the receiver that was line level and variable with the volume control- chances are low that there is one on that receiver.

An external passive crossover on the B speaker output would work, but as mentioned you'd have a tough time balancing its output with your main speakers.

I was really unimpressed with the Janis I had, and ultimately gave away the sub & sold the x-over/amp on E-Bay. Pic attached is not mine, but very similar.

je

infinityQ2
10-15-2008, 08:06 PM
If he's using the Janis that I had, it's a 15" cab with no crossover, and a crossover/power amp in another unit. He'd need an output from the receiver that was line level and variable with the volume control- chances are low that there is one on that receiver.

An external passive crossover on the B speaker output would work, but as mentioned you'd have a tough time balancing its output with your main speakers.

I was really unimpressed with the Janis I had, and ultimately gave away the sub & sold the x-over/amp on E-Bay. Pic attached is not mine, but very similar.

je

Thank you for the input, yet to be resolved.

infinityQ2
10-15-2008, 08:07 PM
[quote=Regis;224246]I'll take a crack at it. If it's a powered sub, try using one of the signal outputs. I'm not sure if you can use the pre-amp output out of your reciever or not. The guys at Audiokarma or maybe even here can help. For a non-powered sub (no built-in amp), I don't see why you could'nt use channel B on the Pioneer to drive the sub. If it's a sealed box, it should be pretty efficient and not take a whole lot of power to make it comparable to the L-110's,. but then the question begs to ask, if the efficiency of the sub, matches the efficiency of the L-110's? If you could control channel A output and Channel B output separately, yeah, you could (some older quad recievers had multiple volume knobs), but most of the vintage stereo recievers have only one volume control.

Definitely a tough question. For me? I ran my powered subs off've my extra pre-amp output on my integrated amp (it had two sets of pre-amp outputs, one was XLR and the other was RCA).[/quot

Tried but failed, work in progress, thanks.