PDA

View Full Version : Neighbourly small stereo set-up help

JBL 4645
10-03-2008, 06:05 AM
I helped a neighbour downstairs yesterday with his new but slightly better looking modest Tech AV stereo amplifier a tech tape deck and Eltax Monitor III. Wow I didn’t know they where this old and still in current production, I thought they where only released about a year ago.

It was a bit of hassle yesterday because I leaned the brand new Tech stereo amplifier didn’t power up! After I changed the mains plug fuse I draw conclusion that the slow blow glass fuse had ether blew and so I went along with my neighbour to Richer Sounds Bournemouth, to get it changed over for another one.

Once back at the home I helped him up downstairs as he lives a few floors below me. I said first things first all this clutter at the front of the room as to be changed around the TV in the centre of the room’s length. I said get down and vacuum the carpet its dirty clean it and will start on how to fit this in.

I had to give it some thought and looked around for anything that can support the loudspeakers at mid height in the room, well almost mid height. I seem to recall getting dragged out of my flat around 11:30am and didn’t get to watch a film yesterday as I was helping out the neighbour till about 10:40pm.

Once everything started to come together he had to call another neighbour from over the road because I forget the order in which the satellite box went, I don’t care much for TV broadcasts no more.

I was only there to do the sound. As you can see from the picture the little Monitor III are just about even in height and this is only temporarily. I told the neighbour (I’ll build you a horizontal base platform for the speakers to rest on) its only about £40.00 or £50.00 pounds to build I plan to do the same for mine as soon as I have my own funding.

Well after cutting the cable and I couldn’t believe he had cable cut at Richer sounds that wasn’t even equal in length to 1 meter and I augured calmly with the salesman I said (1 meter isn’t enough) but you get the commentary yes “but loudspeakers are best at 3 meters” (I know 10 feet) and I asked for 5 meters because the Hi-Fi wasn’t going to spaced out too far but you need slag to play with otherwise I’d hate to have to go back sweating and red faced.

So where was I? Oh, managed to get the sound from the sat box coming out the AV stereo along with tape and DVD stereo I couldn’t believe my neighbour had 6 channel outputs on his Hitachi DVD-RW I tried to explain you’d be far better off with AVR with all the decoding Dolby dts and that just flew right over his head!

I was surprised of the bass mid clarity and the feel of it in the sofa in certain places and the sweet loudness of the HF tweeter that was set at 0 on treble and bass. I told him I’ll have to bring down a test CD at sometime to test the level of each channel left and right with the SPL db I guess that would be like, hyper physics, to him LOL.

I played one of many CD’s that he had Enya “Shepard Moons” which is what have also and since the flats have concrete floors the bass mid was well controlled as it is in my flat thou I use something totally different. Sofa was placed at the far end of the room and he has two in flat and the flats are only 15 feet in length by 11 feet by width 7 feet height 7 inches.

Anyway he’s pleased and I’m sure he’ll be upgrading soon because he likes the surround channels in my flat that is wrapped right around you, totally.

So yes I would also recommended the Eltax Monitor III for small room stereo the kitchen bedroom or even for multiple surround arrays around the room good value.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk123/IndianaJones34/EltaxmonIII.jpg

Underneath view hmm, interesting new place for a port I seem to remember seeing an active sub bass speaker somewhere on the internet recently with port located underneath not sure of the make or model?

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk123/IndianaJones34/EltaxmonIIIunderneathview.jpg

I also found this information on the enclosure and the parts so there’s no need for me to open up his small Eltax Monitor III not sure if its first or second order crossover because I can’t read the language text in the link.

http://www.maurarte.com/Diffusori.htm (http://www.maurarte.com/Diffusori.htm)